Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's about making that other bastard die in a funny way

I'll take plowing over an entire squad in a Jeep and immediately dying to friendly fire over a chicken dinner any day of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Did a few solo's last night and jesus christ I feel like I've been super unlucky. Need a goon perspective on this one that happened last night. 14 left alive, I'm using an m4 with an 8x, shooting at a guy with a level one helmet on. Two hits with the m4, one looks like it was definitely in the dome, don't put him down, but he one-taps me with a KAR even though I'm wearing a level 3 helmet and at 75+ HP (I had just used a medkit.)

https://gfycat.com/AgonizingAdolescentAnkole

Can someone point out what I'm missing here.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Both hit him in the upper chest. He definitely didn't have much health left but they weren't headshots.

e: the second one could even have hit him in the arm, seeing as how he was aiming down his sights as well.

e2: the first hit him in the shoulder, the second could have been his arm (I'm not sure if it works that way) but either way your crosshair was on his chin the exact moment you shot so with the bullet drop it's possible it landed just under the hitbox of his head. Close either way though, you were a little unlucky but at the same time I don't think you should've gone for the second shot - he had quite a bit of time to line his up.

e3: looking at it more and more, if you knew he had a kar, there's an argument to be made that you shouldn't even have shot the first round; it simply took too long.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 20, 2017

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i recommend clicking on peoples heads if you want to headshot them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I'm more confused at how the kar one-tapped me at 75+ hp.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

abigserve posted:

I'm more confused at how the kar one-tapped me at 75+ hp.

bullets hurt a lot

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
A kar98 does 81 damage when it hits a level 3 helmet.

e: I take it you didn't know that, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for the future. If you are wearing a level 3 helmet, you still need to be nearly completely healthy to not have your brains blown out by a kar98.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Alright I finally confirmed the invisible parachuting bug. As I was dropping I was scanning in all directions, up and down as well, and saw no one dropping on the small town I was in. Once I hit the ground I looked up and saw no one in the air- then saw two other players just appear out of the blue. No weirdness like they were on the other side of a building or anything like that. They just straight up weren't being rendered until right after I hit the ground.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Parallel Playa posted:

A kar98 does 81 damage when it hits a level 3 helmet.

e: I take it you didn't know that, but it's a good thing to keep in mind for the future. If you are wearing a level 3 helmet, you still need to be nearly completely healthy to not have your brains blown out by a kar98.

That makes sense then. I've been going off a spreadsheet that says it does 66 damage to a level 3.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

Alright I finally confirmed the invisible parachuting bug. As I was dropping I was scanning in all directions, up and down as well, and saw no one dropping on the small town I was in. Once I hit the ground I looked up and saw no one in the air- then saw two other players just appear out of the blue. No weirdness like they were on the other side of a building or anything like that. They just straight up weren't being rendered until right after I hit the ground.

Record it next time, this is hardly confirmation tbh.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I've seen it happen over a dozen times. Vatthammer even got one on his stream where he punched a guy down who even almost a minute into the game still had not rendered for me. I'm on a brand new high-end computer, too, it's not some potato hardware thing.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Parallel Playa posted:

Both hit him in the upper chest. He definitely didn't have much health left but they weren't headshots.

e: the second one could even have hit him in the arm, seeing as how he was aiming down his sights as well.

e2: the first hit him in the shoulder, the second could have been his arm (I'm not sure if it works that way) but either way your crosshair was on his chin the exact moment you shot so with the bullet drop it's possible it landed just under the hitbox of his head. Close either way though, you were a little unlucky but at the same time I don't think you should've gone for the second shot - he had quite a bit of time to line his up.

e3: looking at it more and more, if you knew he had a kar, there's an argument to be made that you shouldn't even have shot the first round; it simply took too long.

My thought process was "he's going to be able to line one up on me, but I've got a level 3 helmet and one kar shot won't kill me so I'll go for it". But as you've corrected I was wrong about dis.

I think part of the problem is, as I'm playing more I'm getting way more aggressive and trying to walk the line a lot, whereas previously I would have tried to sneak up on that guy or maybe just let him run in front of me.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I've seen it happen over a dozen times. Vatthammer even got one on his stream where he punched a guy down who even almost a minute into the game still had not rendered for me. I'm on a brand new high-end computer, too, it's not some potato hardware thing.

That's still anecdotal. I'm not saying it definitely doesn't happen as I have suspected it a few times myself, but as long as there's no footage of a dude actually appearing out of thin air, it's not confirmed and it could still come down to not looking in the right direction (or not being able to, what with the camera deadzone and all).

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Parallel Playa posted:

That's still anecdotal. I'm not saying it definitely doesn't happen as I have suspected it a few times myself, but as long as there's no footage of a dude actually appearing out of thin air, it's not confirmed and it could still come down to not looking in the right direction (or not being able to, what with the camera deadzone and all).

I think I've got footage of it happening, I'll try to find it when I get home. It only seems to happen in solo for me, never in squads.

EDIT: and I should say it's never impacted my game except for an "oh poo poo" moment when I first see them after thinking the area was clear.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Parallel Playa posted:

I don't know why you're being obtuse, it's a well known bug.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

How bad are your settings, invisible person havers?

Also how is there this automatic assumption that winning and having fun are mutually exclusive? I got 14 kills in a game, won and ran two people over in a tunnel. Sounds like a defeatist attitude to me, with a sprinkle of "I only do poorly because I don't try hard" and a side of being unable to take constructive criticism.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don't know why you're being obtuse, it's a well known bug.

I'm not. Like I said, I have definitely suspected that it happened to me before as well, but people constantly complain about this supposed bug both on here and on reddit and I've just never seen actual proof, nor have I seen it confirmed by anyone on the dev team. I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm saying I just want to see it proven (or confirmed, if you or anyone else has a link of that I would genuinely appreciate it - I simply haven't found one yet) so that I know that I don't need to constantly try new things when looking around while parachuting.

I honestly don't mean to come across as obtuse. The lack of actual video proof for such a well-known bug just makes me doubt whether it actually is a bug and, by extension, makes me doubt my own ability.

In other, unrelated, news, I posted the video of that guy that ran and shot very quickly on the official forums. They closed it at first, saying it was inconclusive, but they just reopened it because the dude who looked at it before missed something. It's apparently forwarded to their anti-cheat team. I think it's pretty neat that they actually go back and re-review such reports, rather than just writing them off and moving on without looking back.

abigserve posted:

I think I've got footage of it happening, I'll try to find it when I get home. It only seems to happen in solo for me, never in squads.

EDIT: and I should say it's never impacted my game except for an "oh poo poo" moment when I first see them after thinking the area was clear.

I'd love to see this, would you mind posting it if you find it?

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 20, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

Also how is there this automatic assumption that winning and having fun are mutually exclusive? I got 14 kills in a game, won and ran two people over in a tunnel. Sounds like a defeatist attitude to me, with a sprinkle of "I only do poorly because I don't try hard" and a side of being unable to take constructive criticism.

Oddly, I actually experienced it more when I turned settings up to a mix of low/medium and textures to high/ultra. With everything very low I don't think I ever experienced that bug.

Rendering in general is insanely buggy, that this extends to player models isn't a big surprise. Just yesterday I had a sky city render over the water near military base. Still won the round, but jfc that was weird to see.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Spudalicious posted:

That said all these idiots in this thread talking about how they are checking your KDA and getting mad at you for sucking makes me not want to play with goons. Can we get a lovely gamer forum, for people who suck at games?

I only know of one person who actually unironically checks KDR/ADR and mine suck and we played in the same squad anyway and had some fun shooting mans.

I dont think anyone really cares all that much about it - I haven't run into anyone that absolutely refuses to group up because of some numbers.

Like any game that does matchmaking, its better to group up with people around your rank anyway, if you get dropped into a game with everyone much better than you you're probably not going to take anyone out and you'll die without much warning.

TLDR; groups form all the time in discord, just :getin: and get guns and shoot them at people

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
The rendering in this game is flawless I dunno wtf you guys are talking about

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

fletcher posted:

The rendering in this game is flawless I dunno wtf you guys are talking about

stop publishing pictures of my house

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Also, labeling the map with Letter Axis seems like a huge oversight. There's no way to sub divide a letter to give someone an idea of where you actually mean.

I take it you've never looked at a real life map before?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

stop publishing pictures of my house

Grover?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

theperminator posted:

I take it you've never looked at a real life map before?

Yes they have latitude and longitude.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

:shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Parallel Playa posted:

I'm not. Like I said, I have definitely suspected that it happened to me before as well, but people constantly complain about this supposed bug both on here and on reddit and I've just never seen actual proof, nor have I seen it confirmed by anyone on the dev team. I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm saying I just want to see it proven (or confirmed, if you or anyone else has a link of that I would genuinely appreciate it - I simply haven't found one yet) so that I know that I don't need to constantly try new things when looking around while parachuting.

I honestly don't mean to come across as obtuse. The lack of actual video proof for such a well-known bug just makes me doubt whether it actually is a bug and, by extension, makes me doubt my own ability.

In other, unrelated, news, I posted the video of that guy that ran and shot very quickly on the official forums. They closed it at first, saying it was inconclusive, but they just reopened it because the dude who looked at it before missed something. It's apparently forwarded to their anti-cheat team. I think it's pretty neat that they actually go back and re-review such reports, rather than just writing them off and moving on without looking back.

I'd love to see this, would you mind posting it if you find it?

I've always doubted myself as well because I'd hear the footsteps first and they'd end up being on the other side of a building or maybe up on the roof while I hit the ground and I always figured they'd just been in my *one* blindspot that I forgot to check. However it's happened enough times that I was really really suspicious that something was up. This was the first time that I actually saw them straight up appear from nowhere literally ten feet in front of me- AFTER I'd landed and scanned the sky to see if anyone else was coming in. It's definitely real but it'll be hard for someone to capture it since it's so rare that people land right on top of each other like that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Lol you "try?" Get a life looser

I'm too busy loving to practice video games

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

abigserve posted:

Did a few solo's last night and jesus christ I feel like I've been super unlucky. Need a goon perspective on this one that happened last night. 14 left alive, I'm using an m4 with an 8x, shooting at a guy with a level one helmet on. Two hits with the m4, one looks like it was definitely in the dome, don't put him down, but he one-taps me with a KAR even though I'm wearing a level 3 helmet and at 75+ HP (I had just used a medkit.)

https://gfycat.com/AgonizingAdolescentAnkole

Can someone point out what I'm missing here.

M4 body hit impact power is less than half of all the other rifles so it won't cause them to flinch much...

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

So as it turns out, getting smushed by a bike is just as amusing as you'd thing it would be.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticAstuteSharkRalpherZ

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

I think it happens less in squads because of the tactical necessity of having to kit out 4 people, so either they get lost in the riot that is "school" or "Georgopol", or they're dispersed enough that people have enouvh time to load the 4-12 people.

Solo gets zany numbers of people on some concentrated places, you can get 2 dozen where squad games see maybe half that

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I've finally lived the dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UikmL_q7M

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

love that first attempt

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I'm getting progressively worse at this game.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Chard posted:

love that first attempt

also another good reminder to never pick up Molotovs

Degs posted:

I'm getting progressively worse at this game.

or your elo rating is going up and getting better opponents

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
when you drop at containers and all you find is a pump shotgun, a helmet and a painkiller, you gotta follow someone around for a while until that person gets shot after you tracked them for 7 minutes, then you shoot the shooter and come away with everything you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIeKQu17UTc

the first bit should have been sped up a little sooner. also, I spotted the guy at the end pretty late, whew

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 20, 2017

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Chard posted:

love that first attempt

I don't think you can get molotovs through the window without them exploding.

But I at least think I terrified him (he does try to escape).

Should have turned allchat on maybe he was screaming at me.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Zo posted:

or your elo rating is going up and getting better opponents

Is that implemented already?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Degs posted:

it's been implemented for months, confirmed by a dev blog on the official forums way back

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat just got a #2.
Final circle and he was hiding behind the southern shore cliff on mil island.
Tried to just go for tree cover and he got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Degs posted:

click on statistics and you can see your rating

or put your name in here and see more details: https://pubg.me/

• Locked thread