Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Star posted:

Pacific Rim was good but I had a couple problems with it. First, i thought it was kind of boring how all of the kaiju had the same origin. They were all just monsters created by the same aliens for the same purpose. I like it better in the Godzilla movies where you have a bunch of different monsters that all came from different places and have different goals and personalities. Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidora, and so on. Second problem was that the main protagonist was kind of boring.

You get that most Godzilla movies have him only fighting one monster, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the specific podcast The Nerd Crew is supposed to be parodying

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

collider it the most obvious but there are a few. you see em in those mashups.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

You get that most Godzilla movies have him only fighting one monster, right?

No poo poo. But a few movies have multiple monsters and he's shared movies with Rodan, Mothra, anguirus, etc.

LOL I like how you tried to be condescending, too. Goons are such chodes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I laughed really, really hard at pacific rim. Like sideshow bob at the jim varney movie loud. It was the goofiest loving poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Star posted:

No poo poo. But a few movies have multiple monsters and he's shared movies with Rodan, Mothra, anguirus, etc.

LOL I like how you tried to be condescending, too. Goons are such chodes.

It's pretty rare for a Godzilla movie to introduce more than one new monster. So "this 60 year old movie franchise with dozens of installments has more monsters than this one single movie" is a weird critique, imo

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Meme Emulator posted:

i didnt post this:

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

I think this is a Duncan post, aka the best poster.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's pretty rare for a Godzilla movie to introduce more than one new monster. So "this 60 year old movie franchise with dozens of installments has more monsters than this one single movie" is a weird critique, imo

All i said was that I thought the way Pacific Rim did it was boring. You dont have to go all "Um, actually" on me.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm just glad the koreans moved into the massage parlor down the street so now I don't have to go all the way to hawaii to give someone a pacific rim.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Giga Gaia posted:

I think this is a Duncan post, aka the best poster.

This is one of the best posts I've seen

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.change.org/p/mike-stokl...tion=topic_page

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pacific Rim had too much human time. I strongly agree that the protagonist was utter trash who I wanted to die because his death would have been the most interesting thing about him.

The mecha designs felt rather forced as they followed the American wrestling angle which meant they had a bunch of intentionally badly designed gimmicks for weapons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It;s just the nerd crew is just the most pitch perfect parody of those kinds of podcasts

And I've never actually listened to any of those podcasts but you can tell that's how those kids of nerd shows usually go

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And is the Justice League trailer seriously all in monochromatic and poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Calaveron posted:

And is the Justice League trailer seriously all in monochromatic and poo poo

Not only that, it's shot in an aspect ratio that makes it looks like a HBO TV movie.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmN-e7qUbA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When they finally whip out the blade in pac rim it was like ok you could have just knifed them to death right off the bat instead of spending 20 minutes punching them ineffectively?!?

It's still goofy fun but sons of anarchy guy and his waifu were terrible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its occured to me recently that the reason Prometheus failed and Blade Runner 2600 will as well is Ridley Scott's great world building. He's a lovely director but he's was smart enough in his youth to know that just telling a story about the world itself isn't enough for a film. Now you have these lazy hack frauds come in and they go for the easy temptation which is to tell a larger story about the world of the film franchise rather than trying to craft a smaller story that is part of it so you get this really cheese hackneyed god/creator poo poo.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Ridley Scott is the biggest fraud of them all then, because it's him who wants to expand the worlds instead of telling a smaller story the most.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Probably true now, but when he was younger he had the common sense and self restraint to realize it makes films laughable when you go that route.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

When they finally whip out the blade in pac rim it was like ok you could have just knifed them to death right off the bat instead of spending 20 minutes punching them ineffectively?!?

It's still goofy fun but sons of anarchy guy and his waifu were terrible.

for the billionth time on SA, they explained this poo poo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The movie's stated reason is because the kaijus bleed radioactive death but the real reason is because the megazord doesn't pull out the power sword until it's time to kill the monster

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Calaveron posted:

the real reason is because the megazord doesn't pull out the power sword until it's time to kill the monster

It's amazing how people will cling to tactical realism in the loving power armor v kaiju monster movie.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Giant swords are really loving stupid.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

mng posted:

Giant swords are really loving stupid.

All swords are dumb.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The fact that they didn't have a giant katana instead pulled me out of the movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

a bone to pick posted:

all of this just so Vader could deliver one of the cheesiest lines in Star Wars history.

I think there was a SW comic from about 18 years ago where Vader is weighing his preference between an Imperial Officer and some random person on a planet. After explaining all the things the random person did to help Vader, he says to the Officer, "What have you done for me, lately?"

To me, that always struck me as a cheezy sort of line from Vader.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

pacific rim is the only movie i've seen just flat out refuse to be fun and cool. all the cool gimmick robots die immediately so we have to look at vanilla-bot in every fight, they cast the single dullest white cardboard cutout for the main guy even though they had idris elba right there, the final fight is god damned under water and the protagonist doesn't even have the courtesy to stay dead in the end.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

more like guilLAMO del TURDO

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That trailer has one really spoilerific shot and I actually wouldn't recommend watching it!

Looks cool though, visuals are great and my boy Michael Shannon is doing his Boardwalk Empire thing 😍

I still can't see Michael Shannon in anything without thinking of him in Revolutionary Road.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pacific rim was bad but it lead to this which is good

And he was reunited with his pacific rim science buddy again too

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

The movie's stated reason is because the kaijus bleed radioactive death but the real reason is because the megazord doesn't pull out the power sword until it's time to kill the monster

I remember people were chopping them up for fertilizer and parts to study in the middle of the city. I remember nothing about them being radioactive death.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm going to take the middle ground and say while it wasn't great, it was still pretty good and I don't regret watching it unlike some movies that came out this decade.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Baronjutter posted:

Pacific rim was bad but it lead to this which is good

And he was reunited with his pacific rim science buddy again too

On a related note, how is Charlie Day so terrible when he's in anything other than Always Sunny?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oohhboy posted:

I remember people were chopping them up for fertilizer and parts to study in the middle of the city. I remember nothing about them being radioactive death.

Their blood is toxic, their poop was great fertilizer

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In the Halloween episode with chopping mall and drunk Jack my ex-boyfriend Jay says he likes pineapple and canadian bacon pizza, so he's dead to me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hemingway To Go! posted:

people hated the prequels long before rlm did a video, they didn't trick anyone into anything.
but of course prequel defenders often talk down and say "you did not come up with your own judgement, you couldn't have possibly come up with opinions that are not mine on your own..."
and then they can't figure out why people hate being talked to like that.

Allow me to be Yug:

Prequel defenders are Hillary Clinton supporters.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shinjobi posted:

Allow me to be Yug:

Prequel defenders are Hillary Clinton supporters.

*Mike tugging collar*

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

We Know Catheters posted:

Star Wars is lame.

you think youre so tough on the internet, try saying that to my face buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Star Wars is still marketable. It exists to sell you hot pockets and oranges, and massive amounts of toys.

• Locked thread