Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

I don't expect them to give up money, but it would be nice if they could have a little bit of foresight and come up with a plan to improve the league in the long term.

Like how about they push for 10 years with no lockouts?

They all but assured us one is happening over the Olympic fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Do all these lockout-proof contracts make a lockout more or less likely? Like, if they have to pay out half the league's salary in signing bonuses anyway, maybe it's not worth it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How the hell have we gone the entirety of National Hotdog Day without a Kessel gif?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Any excuse

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

How the hell have we gone the entirety of National Hotdog Day without a Kessel gif?

Goddammit Marc

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on-ice ads are awful and terrible in every possible way. casual observers have a hard enough time seeing the puck, those things just make it impossible, even with HD feeds.

jersey ads aren't the end of the world I have some SWL jerseys and they're neat. it's stupid as hell on the socks and helmets tho

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I hate change and they look stupid as hell. But I suppose if/when they do put ads on jerseys. I'll just complain loudly then continue to watch. :shrug:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aphrodite posted:

NHL teams are businesses, not public services. They aren't going to make changes that give up money.

they may annoy some amount of fans into not watching, which could be tantamount to giving up money, if they do anything too drastic or too quickly.

e: im gud at spalling

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 19, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JawKnee posted:

they may annoy some amount of fans into not watching, which could be tantamount to giving up money, if they do anything to drastic or too quickly.

Sure, but not reducing commercials or not lowering ticket prices aren't likely to do that.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So the Marlies hired the guy who scored from his own goal line on Toskala as an assistant coach.

This goal: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=inT0MU5w68c

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's the only goal Toskala allowed and the Leafs won that game.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

iospace posted:

They all but assured us one is happening over the Olympic fiasco.

The Olympics don't mean anything in the big picture. The real issue is what the league's next TV deal is going to look like, because if the TV people plead poverty the owners are going to hit the players really hard.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I WANT HOCKEY I NEED HOCKEY AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
the problem with ads on, at least, Canadian jerseys is that it's going to be the same idiots who advertise during nationally televised hockey

Kraft
Home Hardware
East Side Mario's

and generally, Gillette, MAN THING,

and other hokey loving poo poo. I think they'd see at least an initial downturn and negative plateau in merchandise and an uptick in ripoff pre-merch era jerseys. I'm sure their numbers guys have already predicted this and this is why it isn't happening soon.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Olympics don't mean anything in the big picture. The real issue is what the league's next TV deal is going to look like, because if the TV people plead poverty the owners are going to hit the players really hard.

Of course they're going to, but I believe the NBC deal ends in 2021, the CBA in 2022, and the Rogers deal in 2026. Assuming they don't exercise the opt-out clause on the CBA two years earlier, if anything, the NBC contract is going to work to prevent a lockout.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
SAP on all the jerseys.

Just like the good ol' days of the World Cup

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They already have superimposed ads at baseball games, and I found the ads superimposed on the glass less distracting than the ones that covered up existing board ads during the WCH.

Ads on jerseys don't bother me. Ads on ice would.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
hay guyz how is the Leafs defence?

like for real though, they have this uhhh rielly who is apparently good?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ligur posted:

hay guyz how is the Leafs defence?

like for real though, they have this uhhh rielly who is apparently good?

Their top six this year is probably gonna be Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev/Carrick/Marincin/Hainsey which is fine. Their biggest problem last year was relying on Hunwick/Polak for serious shutdown stands towards the end of the game, and I dunno if they've done anything to fix that, but outside of that they're probably average to above average.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

Ads on jerseys don't bother me. Ads on ice would.

But they've had ads in the neutral zone for like 20 years now. And that's clearly been enough for them, no ones ever tried to cover the entire surface like minor league or euro teams.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Surely the technology is ready to create full jerseys with scrolling marquee ads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_tcURO5Erg

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/888034955531603968

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why that's Brooks Orpik money!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Would've preferred 8 years, but this is fine. I guess Armstrong also wanted longer term if the negotiations dragged out this long only for that contract to be signed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/888016754282311681

:rip:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a nice contract for Parayko, I wonder what team he'll go to in 2023 when he's 29 and coming off of a 4th place norris trophy finish...

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

That's a new one

Prolly just a tooth infection or something

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
currently, the wikipedia article on Ken Holland is: Very Good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did the Leafs give up on trading for Colin Miller?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Jerseys are already ads

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

a false posted:

currently, the wikipedia article on Ken Holland is: Very Good

nice

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The meetup.com group for Canadians in Chicago sent out notice of an event this morning, here's an excerpt:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The meetup.com group for Canadians in Chicago sent out notice of an event this morning, here's an excerpt:

I like how there's no Canadiens star player advertised.

Come see.....Max Pacioretty!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The Blackhawks are trying to move tickets?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AsInHowe posted:

The Blackhawks are trying to move tickets?

Not that they have attendance problems I'm sure. But a few years back they did have nosebleed seats on Groupon.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ice Jerseys is having a two-day sale on jersey customization, $10 on any jersey they sell. This is important because 1, they do high quality tackle twill stuff, 2, it includes the vintage line, and 3, they have no limits on retired or traded players (although your FUCCBOI 69 jersey is probably a no-go).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ice Jerseys is having a two-day sale on jersey customization, $10 on any jersey they sell. This is important because 1, they do high quality tackle twill stuff, 2, it includes the vintage line, and 3, they have no limits on retired or traded players (although your FUCCBOI 69 jersey is probably a no-go).

For those that haven't used them before, IceJerseys is loving great for the money

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I don't really care if they have ads on jerseys. And if it's 60 million league wide, that's 2 million per team, which is pretty good profit for doing basically nothing. Especially if your just a break even team, that puts you into a profit.

I just hope that every team has a "Dynamic Fasteners" patch on the rear end of their pants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Raising beer prices a quarter would make more than $2million, it's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

I don't really care if they have ads on jerseys. And if it's 60 million league wide, that's 2 million per team, which is pretty good profit for doing basically nothing. Especially if your just a break even team, that puts you into a profit.

I just hope that every team has a "Dynamic Fasteners" patch on the rear end of their pants.

but...why do i care about how much the owners make, especially since they will almost assuredly not pass on any savings to fans?

• Locked thread