Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. Super thematic too. Saying a game fails because it's only cards is like saying role playing games fail because they're only pen and paper. Arkham isn't a one time play money sink either, it offers so much replayability. It's one of the best designed games I've ever seen overall, just fires really well on every cylinder.

I would love to see a 2nd Ed. LOTR someday, if only to see what they borrow from the AH LCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Finally, a prostitute murder sim my mom can play!

lol and bring the kids!

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

head58 posted:

Are we doing Gloomhaven storage solutions chat? Because that's the best kind of chat.

I have all the standees, terrain, tokens, and cards in 3 Plano boxes: 2 larger ones (3750) and a smaller (3601) for tokens and stuff we actually need during play. The map tiles and books are in an alphabetical accordion folder, so the map tiles can be easily found by letter (A-N). Setup and breakdown are a breeze as long as nobody messes up the alphabetization of the monster standees or cards. Everything except the accordion file fits nicely back into the box.
I'm planning on pretty much the same, except DVD envelopes for standees+monster cards. And I might use trading card binder for the items.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shadow225 posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition versus Letters from Whitechapel?

Things I'm specifically curious about :
Complexity/fiddliness
Playtime
Player Agency for the 'Many team' (do the players feel like they're individual agents/how easily can it be quarterbacked)
Is Letters going to get a reprint?

Basically, I like the idea of FoD, but I don't like how long and fiddly it is. I'm considering trying to trade it vis a vis for Letters.

Much less complex / fiddly, shorter, easily quarterbacked. It's a much "purer" hidden movement game whereas Fury of Dracula adds in a lot of thematic elements, although you can add in extra rules to help Jack or the Police.

I had no idea Letters needed a reprint since it was easy to find here a few weeks ago.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Aghama posted:

I'm planning on pretty much the same, except DVD envelopes for standees+monster cards. And I might use trading card binder for the items.

I use a business card binder. This is a must do imho.

My solution is

2 Planos - need to add a third small one for status effects + health + coins

Accordian for map tiles

Business card folder for items

CD Wallet for monster cards

This works okay, the small plano would help a lot.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Looking for a game or games with some narrative elements to play with the family.

Cooperative would be nice, but 1 v All might fly too.

The tricky part is matching complexity. We've got 3 that can handle pretty much anything, but another 3 or 4 that won't be interested in something too deep. I've got them up to Forbidden Desert. They could manage Pandemic: Legacy, and I think I might go for that, but one has already expressed some discomfort with the theme.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
If the disease theme is uncomfortable, maybe Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu?

How about Mysterium or Flash Point: Fire Rescue?

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 20, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
How many people do you think are going to be playing at once? Mysterium is an obvious contender (perfect screen name/post combo above), and deception Hong kong could be another.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
We play 3-6, with 3-4 being most reliable.

The Forbidden games are well-liked and get a lot of play. Actually all of the recommendations so far are on my wanted list.

What I'm looking for with this recommendation I think is something very story-driven or episodic. I want everyone to be thinking "what's going to happen tonight?" when we get together.

If it's a one-shot experience like an escape room in a box, that's fine, but in that case I'd want something with a few scenarios in one box.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Minus1Minus1 posted:

The Forbidden games are well-liked and get a lot of play. Actually all of the recommendations so far are on my wanted list.

What I'm looking for with this recommendation I think is something very story-driven or episodic. I want everyone to be thinking "what's going to happen tonight?" when we get together.

If it's a one-shot experience like an escape room in a box, that's fine, but in that case I'd want something with a few scenarios in one box.

This one might be stretching the definition a bit, but maybe one of the Consulting Detective games? Depends how much "game" you want for your group.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Mansions of Madness 2nd ed was a guilty pleasure of ours until I burned out on it. It's really well done as an easy to use DM-less one shot episodes "RPG".

Solidly done as a game and highly "what's going to happen tonight?"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I had my last night with my local board game group before moving a couple hours away (and I have no car or family here so I probably won't be visiting for A While, if ever), and it got pretty emotional. I gave one guy I was close to a copy of Keyflower as a going away gift since he and his partner really helped me out a lot over the past year and he all but broke down crying. It was everything I could do to keep myself composed too. Also, I won Samurai and Imhotep.

e: When I click the "Gloomhaven Town" link on MeepleRealty it just takes me back to the site's homepage. Other games don't seem to have this issue, does it just mean they're sold out of the Gloomhaven insert?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 20, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I can't believe you'd just give away Keyflower, what a great game

I'm joking, I'm glad you could have such a great group and I hope you find some new people to play games with in your new place

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed. Super thematic too. Saying a game fails because it's only cards is like saying role playing games fail because they're only pen and paper. Arkham isn't a one time play money sink either, it offers so much replayability. It's one of the best designed games I've ever seen overall, just fires really well on every cylinder.

On the P&P comparison, not even close. I play p&p and Dominion and Netrunner, compared to those last two Arkam Horror especially felt like a mess on my gaming table, it's... hard to read, to be polite.

Once I got through the scenario booklet for Arkham Horror, the game didnt feel thematic anymore. If you enjoy the game you may replay the scenario a bunch of times to have a better outcome, to try new cards or new investigators, but I hope you'll agree that after you know the plot/gameplay beats well it's not so much about enjoying the story (although I acknowledge it's there) but rather about anticipating what will/might happen and how to min-max your way to survival or victory. And that's cool. But I call it it a few times play thematic game and hollow min-max powergaming against a card AI game afterwards. You will disagree strongly but it's not exactly far from the truth.

And it's a money sink yeah. The best design is FFG's pricing. 30$? cool. Need a second one? Well I guess. Got 15$ to enhance that investment? And on and on. Way to gently caress up what boardgaming should be about. Gloomhaven gets it though. :)

White Rabbit fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 20, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yes, a company producing more content and product for a game and charging money for said product is loving up what board gaming is supposed to be all about. :psyduck:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fury of Dracula has a really fun combat system wrapped up in a 2 - 3 hour game. There's so much going on for both the pirates and the hunters to keep track of that it's a bit hard to plan. The vampire has to be extremely on the ball to not gently caress up, as loving up (and getting caught loving up) screws him, but it's nice that they tell you how to continue if the vampire makes a mistake. The game is very balanced, and is neck and neck for most of it, but some people making bad decisions can ruin the game for everyone. Quarter backing doesn't come up as much, because each player has their own powers and cards that they can't talk about without letting Dracula know what's up, so people are kind of trusted at our table to do their own thing (which is good, because if they worked with perfect information with Dracula watching they'd be able to really tear him up.)

I play a ton of 1 v All games, and it's my favorite genre because I'm our groups "bad guy" so it's good fun for everyone to team up and fight the GM.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Looking for a game or games with some narrative elements to play with the family.

Cooperative would be nice, but 1 v All might fly too.

The tricky part is matching complexity. We've got 3 that can handle pretty much anything, but another 3 or 4 that won't be interested in something too deep. I've got them up to Forbidden Desert. They could manage Pandemic: Legacy, and I think I might go for that, but one has already expressed some discomfort with the theme.

Idk the name of it, but Pandemic: Terrorism is a good 1 v All that has some very simple rules and adds a lot of complexity / replayability to the base pandemic game. Though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a group that can win pretty regularly, or they will feel the terrorist is over-tuned.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

White Rabbit posted:

Once I got through the scenario booklet for Arkham Horror, the game didnt feel thematic anymore. If you enjoy the game you may replay the scenario a bunch of times to have a better outcome, to try new cards or new investigators, but I hope you'll agree that after you know the plot/gameplay beats well it's not so much about enjoying the story (although I acknowledge it's there) but rather about anticipating what will/might happen and how to min-max your way to survival or victory. And that's cool. But I call it it a few times play thematic game and hollow min-max powergaming against a card AI game afterwards. You will disagree strongly but it's not exactly far from the truth.

While, in general, repeated playthroughs do focus more on the mechanics (trying out new builds, etc.) do bear in mind the core set campaign is a simple semi-tutorial gauntlet. The Dunwich campaign is way stronger in the CYOA department and exploring the impact of some key decisions alone is sure worth at least 2-3 playthroughs.

White Rabbit posted:

The new Arkham Horror LCG is just as bad, it's very hard to be passionate about a game when all it offers is card based. And once you're through with the content, buy more cards! Of course they're bloody expensive too. It's literrally the opposite of boardgaming fun to me. Let me shuffle a deck, move a meeple, point at a friend, pick up a couple of coins and play with them when someone gets AP. It may sound like I loooove me some ameritrash but those LCG games are pure ameritrash to me. Just pictures and rules and not a sound design idea in sight.

This is a super weird argument though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tried out Blood Rage tonight. Seems okay, but paradoxically rounds started to take longer the fewer options there were. :|

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tried out Blood Rage tonight. Seems okay, but paradoxically rounds started to take longer the fewer options there were. :|

For some people, the less options there are the more weight they assign to each option, leading to more time per decision.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, a company producing more content and product for a game and charging money for said product is loving up what board gaming is supposed to be all about. :psyduck:

I paid about 40$ for Caylus years ago and still play it to this day. Arkham Horror LCG is 6 months old game for which, currently, the core game + all expansions + card packs bought only a single time will cost you what, about $300? Come 2022 playing that game could end up costing you thousands of dollars. Think about my comment on boardgaming in that light. This here boardgame thread first told me about Vlaada Chvatil, Antoine Bauza and Reiner Knizia but you're up defending a business model similar to Wizards of the Coast and Games Workshop. Psyduck indeed.

Lichtenstein posted:

This is a super weird argument though.

Just saying that the same cards for rules, for weapons, for allies, for your character, for enemies, for events, for traps, for locations, for actions... is incredibly dry. It gets exhausting visually not to mention it has 0 tactile appeal. And that design choice was taken because printing a "location deck" is more cost effective than giving players an actual cardboard map in their half empty expansion boxes. It's cool if you like it, but it's not that weird to point out as a problem.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

All this Fury of Dracula and Letters from Whitechapel makes me remember there is an LOTR Hunt for the Ring hidden movement boardgame coming out. Sounded like it had some cool ideas. Hopefully better than Spector Ops...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Please don't remind me about hunt for the ring. I can't stop playing war of the ring and I think only Gloomhaven is the cure but then I'll need another cure. Help

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

White Rabbit posted:

I paid about 40$ for Caylus years ago and still play it to this day. Arkham Horror LCG is 6 months old game for which, currently, the core game + all expansions + card packs bought only a single time will cost you what, about $300? Come 2022 playing that game could end up costing you thousands of dollars. Think about my comment on boardgaming in that light. This here boardgame thread first told me about Vlaada Chvatil, Antoine Bauza and Reiner Knizia but you're up defending a business model similar to Wizards of the Coast and Games Workshop. Psyduck indeed.

Just saying that the same cards for rules, for weapons, for allies, for your character, for enemies, for events, for traps, for locations, for actions... is incredibly dry. It gets exhausting visually not to mention it has 0 tactile appeal. And that design choice was taken because printing a "location deck" is more cost effective than giving players an actual cardboard map in their half empty expansion boxes. It's cool if you like it, but it's not that weird to point out as a problem.

You have a really weird perspective on gaming and I'm sorry you don't like a great game, but the LCG model expressly fixes the issues with something like WotC's distribution for their card games while still providing the player base with steady content. You said you like Netrunner so don't be such a hypocritical rear end while parading your stupid preachy opinion about a game.

Oh, and I have everything printed for the game and have spent $150 total, so you aren't right there either.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

White Rabbit posted:

FFG already has expensive board based products with Mansions of Madness & Eldritch Horror, and the card format for the LCG gives it a lot more elasticity to change and throw out newer challenges compared to a static board. It is a fairly well designed game, to boot. It's also not a CCG, which means you know what you're buying whenever you put down on a pack.

So really it just sounds like you really just don't like LCGs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tai posted:

Please don't remind me about hunt for the ring. I can't stop playing war of the ring and I think only Gloomhaven is the cure but then I'll need another cure. Help

Gloomhaven is a bad game and side effects of playing it include but are not restricted to acne, halitosis, shrivelling of the penis, schizophrenia, homosexuality, libertarianism and death.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I'll take it I dont like LCGs. :)

Bottom Liner posted:

You have a really weird perspective on gaming and I'm sorry you don't like a great game, but the LCG model expressly fixes the issues with something like WotC's distribution for their card games while still providing the player base with steady content. You said you like Netrunner so don't be such a hypocritical rear end while parading your stupid preachy opinion about a game.

Oh, and I have everything printed for the game and have spent $150 total, so you aren't right there either.

Keep it civil dude, it's FFG who sold you a broken game with 20 year old art you're trying to fix by throwing money at it. My weird perspective on gaming is what exactly, I like playing boardgames that are finished? Mindblowing. In the boardgaming thread no less!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

In good news, I got the Gloomhaven Meeplerealty insert finally, after adding it to my cart yesterday and checking out today.

I also find it interesting that the Spiel des Jahres winner is a game I've never heard of. Kingdomino?

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 20, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

White Rabbit posted:

Keep it civil dude, it's FFG who sold you a broken game with 20 year old art you're trying to fix by throwing money at it. My weird perspective on gaming is what exactly, I like playing boardgames that are finished? Mindblowing. In the boardgaming thread no less!

quote:

Just saying that the same cards for rules, for weapons, for allies, for your character, for enemies, for events, for traps, for locations, for actions... is incredibly dry. It gets exhausting visually not to mention it has 0 tactile appeal

They're card games, not liking using cards implies that you don't actually like the idea behind them. Like really, its fine to not like something, but it was exactly as presented on the tin when you presumably bought it, and calling it unfinished is weird

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Gloomhaven is a bad game and side effects of playing it include but are not restricted to acne, halitosis, shrivelling of the penis, schizophrenia, homosexuality, libertarianism and death.

You forgot to mention that playing Gloomhaven is a sin and that it makes you go blind and grow hair on your palms. At least I think that's what our grandparents would have told us about it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't really go for games that consist entirely of cards myself, unless they are "card games" like Team Play, Poker, etc. But that's just because I'm a really tactile and visual person, plus as a bonus my eyesight is noticeably degrading, and I'm not a huge fan of games where the game state is spread across rule-bending text on a shitload of cards across the table... which card-based games tend to be.

That's all got nothing to do with whether the LCG model is workable and whether card based "board" games can be legit games.

E: or alternately the only pure boardgame forms are the ones that I personally approve of & enjoy, which I admit does have a certain ring to it.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 20, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
counterpoint, card games when done well have the most elegant rules in the hobby, like arboretum and modern art. They manage to create tense and interesting decisions with very little rules-overhead.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Mice and Mystics is a fun little episodic campaign where you fight roaches and rats in your enemy-occupied castle. I think it might be limited to four players though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

White Rabbit posted:

This would be a dumb opinion full of irony on its own, but doubly so after you talked about being a Netrunner player.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Aw the gloomhaven meeplerealty insert sold out overnight. Are there other good options available, or any clue how long it takes them to restock?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Countblanc posted:

Aw the gloomhaven meeplerealty insert sold out overnight. Are there other good options available, or any clue how long it takes them to restock?

There's a broken token one that's at least available for pre-order in Canuckistan. It's almost as much as the goddam game though

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I was pretty miffed to find that they had sold out of the MR inserts when I had the thing sitting in my cart for 12 hours without being able to actually make the purchase because the site was hosed.

Having said that, unless there's another big sale, I think I'll probably wait until I actually receive the game before buying an insert. Aside from the BT and MR ones, there's also this one which is even closer to the cost of the god drat game, but it also looks cool as hell.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'll try my hand at a foamcore insert. Already bought some foamcore to practice by building an insert for Andor.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

White Rabbit posted:

Telling someone to keep it civil, then engages in the same idiotic, childish argument strategy of throwing shade at everyone who happens to enjoy a game you don't.

:rolleyes:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

If you bought every Arkham Horror LCG product currently released (not including playmats and stuff you don't need), and two core sets just in case, it'd cost you about 230 bucks retail. But every single LCG release modifies the previous releases as well and adds new interactions and different contexts for decision making and deck building, which is kind of the whole point of games with LCG/CCG style releases. That's not really comparable with normal board games, it's an alteration of the CCG release style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how much do Roll for the Galaxy and the core set of Dominion weigh? Basically I need to know if either is 2kg or more because if so RIP my chances of importing either of them.