Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Main Ingredient just dumps on dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What's the BetaMetaTM?

The ak looking auto rifle is pretty decent but the fullauto energy pulse, the starting titan pulse and energy hand cannon are my go to.

Deathstalker is probably the nicest sub because it has persistence lite and is really stable.

The titans energy handcannon is eyasluna-ish in its feel.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Lmao got dropped into an in-progress game and got immediately Mercy ruled. Thanks for the free poo poo drop? :thumbsup:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vaah posted:

Lmao got dropped into an in-progress game and got immediately Mercy ruled. Thanks for the free poo poo drop? :thumbsup:

Destiny can't help but be Destiny.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I went exploring by myself in the strike and it's the most fun I've had in the beta. I got to the lost sector door, killed a beefy minotaur dude, got in a three-way war with cabal, the minotaur and some fallen, got killed by a fallen with a lance. Really cool and makes me want to patrol very much. The open world seems really improved design-wise, it didn't seem like just a space to run across on our bikes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there join in progress in competitive? no, right?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/Av1P5p0.gifv

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's insane how good Fusion Rifles are. I'm trash garbage™ at this game but I grab that thing and I'm pretty much guaranteed to get at least 3 kills out of it.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
16kd game of countdown: https://youtu.be/jY2ty8Nw5m4

Check out the fusion rifle in round 3. It's amazing.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Okay now that I've played some better teams I'm still worried about the 4v4. Too often it felt like map spawns would dictate who won: with the higher TTK I'd often get a late assist from a respawned teammate or have that happen to me.

Dawn lady super loving sucks, it's just hammerbro but worse tracking and damage resistance.

The one thing I really like in my escapist power fantasy space video game is feeling much weaker in general, so I'm glad you get 2 nades and one super per match.

I'm worried.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

my fantasy... is feeling much weaker in general

That's my fetish

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i kind of like the one super in general. i wish it would come out sooner, but with one a match you're really forced to actually think about when and how to use it. it also makes suppressing way better.

CheeseFactory posted:

i really can't think of a situation where you shouldn't use the fusion. the sniper and shotgun we have aren't really great, so maybe that'll change, but in general it's way more versatile than the others for no drawback

how are you liking competitive in general?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I hate that we live in a world where I say this sincerely as a real thing that can help but yo, post on Reddit.

Really seems like once we're flooded with new weapons, all imagination of weapon and armor mods, more subclasses, the presently locked perk trees are opened, whatever else happens from playing through the game, and the Reddit spergs who do the maths run their figures, Crucible will be far different. Like, if this were a cooking show the 4v4 in the Beta is but the base ingredients for what is going to end up a (likely delicious) meal.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah but all that can't change the fact that everything is 4v4, and it will only get more annoying when the game is fully meta'd out.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is game good?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the game is great except they want me to play in FOURS in pvp which if you add the THREE you play with in strikes you get 7, bungie's sacred number, and then if you multiply that by SIX, the number of people in raids, you get 42, and then if you multiply that by TEN, the number of years destiny is supposed to last, you get 420, the WEED number, so the game is actually unplayable because i can only pvp with three other people

this is your boy wafflehouse remember to like comment and subscribe

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the game is great except they want me to play in FOURS in pvp which if you add the THREE you play with in strikes you get 7, bungie's sacred number, and then if you multiply that by SIX, the number of people in raids, you get 42, and then if you multiply that by TEN, the number of years destiny is supposed to last, you get 420, the WEED number, so the game is actually unplayable because i can only pvp with three other people

no waveforms, not authentic waffle

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Who is Failsafe and why do I hate them already?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Whoa

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish the friends list wasn't so drat obscured sometimes. Just give me a drat tab where it's always been. I have seen some names in the game that I haven't seen playing Destiny in a very long time, though!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cvnvcnv posted:

You can you reach friends list while in an activity? I haven't figured it out.

touch pad, hold touch pad, right bumper.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Can we talk about how silly it is that 3 numberless magnitude bars on each piece of equipment somehow feed into integer 1-10 global main stats? That's so loving bungie lmao.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's pretty easy to see that each stat is a maximum potential value of 3. I agree though, just put the fuckin number there, goddamn how hard is it? I agree with cheesedude that a balanced set is the way to go right now, I tried speccing armor and didn't feel any tankier, especially while being team shot, but you definitely do notice the difference in mobility. Recovery too, but not to the same degree. No agility is waaaay too slow.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Pulse grenades are good

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Omolon pulse is pretty good. Fusion rifle is the best power weapon in the beta, especially for those of us in here who spent time in D1 making sweet fusion clips.

- Dawnblade's super super-sucks. You will miss a lot and it's not good enough to deal with roaming supers easily.
- Slow nova seems bad outside of making funny plays with it. Maybe I'm wrong. There's no way it's as bad as I think it is, right?
- Arcstrider and Striker supers are fine.
- None of the roaming supers feel like invicible killmonsters. This is a compliment.
- Big check in the "no" column for post-ADS radar blindness. Makes me anxious to aim a gun. That's not a good feeling in a game where you spend half of your time aiming a gun.
- Removal of control point neutralization is a good change.
- Teams of randos are food in 4v4, like they were in 3v3. It's easy to put together a team with two or three of your bros. The smaller player count removes the room for slack. Happy feeding, goons!

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 20, 2017

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sad that stickies got neutered. I get that they're going for no one hit kill abilities, but for how seldom your grenade comes up, they are really weak now. Especially magnetic, plus the second blast is delayed even more than it used to be. I'm not really liking the grenade options for Sentinels. With fewer abilities and supers all around, suppression grenades aren't a very attractive option. I've never really messed around with voidwalls, but I suppose I might give them a chance.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Can we talk about how silly it is that 3 numberless magnitude bars on each piece of equipment somehow feed into integer 1-10 global main stats? That's so loving bungie lmao.

This definitely feels unfinished. The way the UI is set up, you can't easily see how switching an armor perk will affect your stats. It's so bad that I won't be surprised we discover they improved it after they branched for the public beta.

the good fax machine posted:

I'm sad that stickies got neutered

I'm not.

the good fax machine posted:

how seldom your grenade comes up

I'm holding off on worrying about grenade recharge time until we see what armor perks are available in the GM.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Hopefully those comments about this being an old build are correct, but man I dunno anymore. They aren't so stupid as to public beta (and as a sales booster) something that's too far off, and in a worse way, right?

The first story mission is loving gorgeous, the sound design and effects design is off the chain (i was really impressed with my first solar nade toss), but the gameplay is worse. The pvp is actually kind of boring and the strike is poo poo, and I'm not feeling any of the weapon/skill rebalancing in either mode.

Feels like a massive overcorrection. I never thought I'd go back to playing diablo the first night of the destiny 2 beta. :colbert:

It seems like they listened most to the two opposite ends of the spectrum (lol): lore nerds who want more cutscenes with the Queen and her brother, and e-sports wanna twitch streamers. Might be a fatal case of having their heads too far up some asses, but I'm hoping for the best.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also a lot of the new guns looks p dumb. Not feeling the weird, aggressive design. The new foundry is a pretty strong departure from existing designs.

Some of the new omnolon and sleek reworks of D1 style guns look really good though. And it seems most of the guns look functional, as opposed to some of the D1 guns that fed into below the barrel and ejected above it, or the scout rifle mags that rested below the hole grip lmao.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
You like it

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

el B posted:

You like it

As I was saying in party, it's not impossible for bungie to gently caress this up. It could happen. We live in strange times, my PS4 friend.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The first story mission is loving gorgeous, the sound design and effects design is off the chain (i was really impressed with my first solar nade toss), but the gameplay is worse.

Git gud scrub.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Hopefully those comments about this being an old build are correct, but man I dunno anymore. They aren't so stupid as to public beta (and as a sales booster) something that's too far off, and in a worse way, right?

I work on stuff at this scale and it's a pretty standard way of developing large projects where you want to give the public a prerelease build far in advance of GM. It's not about getting a "worse" build but something stable. You know you're going to keep working but you need to make sure your prerelease build is livable. In order to manage such a release, you'll branch a little bit before you intend to ship the prerelease build [edit: and continue applying critical fixes to it while you're working toward GM]. How far in advance depends on a bunch of factors. Typically, it's a couple of weeks or more. This gives you time to:

- Continue working high-throttle on mainline (you can't stop GM work cold)
- Define critical changes you'll need before you ship the prerelease build
- Carefully take important, critical fixes that don't have a lot of risk from mainline (you really need to converge to a livable prerelease build -- you're trying to take only true blockers for your public beta at this point)
- Continue testing the prerelease branch since you're taking fixes for it (there's always risk, you'll constantly re-qualify the branch's builds to make sure you don't regress -- regressions in the *prerelease branch* are a huge waste of everyone's time, so you're extra-picky about what you take into the branch)
- etc

I wouldn't worry about this aspect of the beta release process. It's not specific to Destiny or Bungie.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 20, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Half-life 3 confirmed

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
To be clear, this happens regardless of how stable/livable your mainline is. Even if it's already in good shape, you still go through this in order to control the releases and ensure a particular release (E3 build, beta, GM, etc) is as healthy as possible as much as possible.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It seems like they listened most to the two opposite ends of the spectrum (lol): lore nerds who want more cutscenes with the Queen and her brother, and e-sports wanna twitch streamers. Might be a fatal case of having their heads too far up some asses, but I'm hoping for the best.

Eventually Destiny's campaign will be 50% cutscenes, 30% inventory management, 15% collecting materials, and 5% shooting things.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Good posts, thx.

Makes me feel better about interface stuff, but I really feel like a bunch of the gameplay changes are philosophical and will stick.

Having all PvE content be 3/6 and pvp content be 4 is just so monumentally dumb, I still don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
story mission good
strike typical destiny
control good
counterstrike.....ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
funny killing roaming supers with relative ease.
6 shot goldy is reaaal fuckin bad
AA has been toned way down. flick shots way harder but i'm pretty okay with that

game good you loving nerds chill the gently caress out