Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8vz8W3ACE

Steve Cutts is a god damned genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what episode debuted on 11/11/2001?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the banksy one is pretty bad though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

get that OUT of my face posted:

"The Parent Rap," wherein Bart and Homer are sentenced by a Judge Judy knockoff to be tethered together

It more or less marks the beginning of the "throwaway gag that gets stretched to an entire episode" phenomenon. Well, not really. But it was the premiere of the first season without ANY good episodes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only thing I remember about the movie is Marge saying god drat (I don't even remember the context of this scene) and the Bart dick scene.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 18, 2017

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

SeANMcBAY posted:

The only thing I remember about the movie is Marge saying god drat (I don't even remember the context of this scene) and the Bart dick scene.

Spider-pig was briefly popular

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The best line in the movie was when homer was trying to hold up some truck's progress by making a lovely yield sign that said "Yeld" and the guy riding shotgun in the truck chides the driver for obeying all the "yeld, sop and one vay signs"

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ilmucche posted:

the banksy one is pretty bad though.

Yeah, good lord that was awesome. Surprised Fox let that go.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

I said the same thing earlier in the thread. Paul and Linda McCartney were just chilling on the rooftop of the Kwik-E-Mart... why? Because Lisa needed her lovely newfound opinion to be validated by a vegetarian celebrity. It may have been the very first "WOW, IT'S [CELEBRITY CALLED OUT BY FULL NAME]! MAYBE THEY CAN HELP!" moment that started it all.
there are three differences between that moment and the one in season 3 where Homer gets a call from Magic Johnson for no reason, though:

1. there really weren't a whole lot of those moments in the classic era
2. the entire plot of those episodes didn't revolve around Magic Johnson or Paul McCartney, they were just minor parts of the story
3. those episodes were good

the first time they had an episode where guest stars were part of the plot for no real reason was the season 10 episode with Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger. it only got worse after that

Not a Children posted:

"The Parent Rap," wherein Bart and Homer are sentenced by a Judge Judy knockoff to be tethered together

It more or less marks the beginning of the "throwaway gag that gets stretched to an entire episode" phenomenon. Well, not really. But it was the premiere of the first season without ANY good episodes.
i think i remember that one. i'm pretty sure that judge judy knockoff was voiced by the mom on Malcolm in the Middle

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 18, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Spider-pig was briefly popular

Oh yeah. How memorable and hilarious.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I don't see the lady gaga episode or the episode about the history of Moe's bar rag. Chart is a lie.

Edit: Or the episode where homer yells at his mother and then she dies

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

there are three differences between that moment and the one in season 3 where Homer gets a call from Magic Johnson for no reason, though:

1. there really weren't a whole lot of those moments in the classic era
2. the entire plot of those episodes didn't revolve around Magic Johnson or Paul McCartney, they were just minor parts of the story
3. those episodes were good

the first time they had an episode where guest stars were part of the plot for no real reason was the season 10 episode with Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger. it only got worse after that

Those early nonsense celebrity cameos were actually kind of funny at the time because they were kind of unexpected non-sequiturs that still advanced the plot forward. Like everything else, though, repetition made them formulaic, the gag got stale, but they still kept doing it forgetting why it was funny in the first place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Start of season 11, not counting the the Treehouse of Horror that was the week before.

You could still count on the Halloween episodes for a long time, but even those have sucked the last couple of years.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

lo-fuckin'-l that 8-bit Simpsons has unarguably far, far better animation than the actual drat show.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh yeah. How memorable and hilarious.

spider pig, spider pig
the things that it does correlate with those done by spiders and pigs also

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The only things I remember about the movie were, Spider Pig, which was just bad non-sequitur garbage made worse by the endless running's it had in the trailers they played on TV and Springfield was encased in a dome or something and it was homers fault and he saves the day. That's all I remember, well that and being baffled as to why anyone said it was as good as an old Simpsons episode, like really what about it was good?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And unnecessary, unfunny gay jokes. At least two in the first 30 mins

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

You could still count on the Halloween episodes for a long time
imo those got terrible a few years past the golden years too. the turning point for me was the treehouse of horror with "The Island of Dr. Hibbert" and the one where zombies come to life after Springfield gets rid of all its guns. i think that also had the story with the hammock that cloned homer. regardless i watched one or two more treehouse of horrors after that before giving up completely on new Simpsons eps

the final line of the gun control zombies tale was Moe taking control of a time machine and saying "time to get me some cavewoman hookers." idk why that line stuck with me, probably because it's terrible

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

imo those got terrible a few years past the golden years too. the turning point for me was the treehouse of horror with "The Island of Dr. Hibbert" and the one where zombies come to life after Springfield gets rid of all its guns. i think that also had the story with the hammock that cloned homer. regardless i watched one or two more treehouse of horrors after that before giving up completely on new Simpsons eps

the final line of the gun control zombies tale was Moe taking control of a time machine and saying "time to get me some cavewoman hookers." idk why that line stuck with me, probably because it's terrible

The one with the dolphins is the definitive turning point of the Halloween episodes being crap

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

54 40 or gently caress posted:

And unnecessary, unfunny gay jokes. At least two in the first 30 mins

This is such an obvious, cheap thing that The Simpsons has done for a while now, and it seems so at odds with other episodes. Maybe that disjointed feeling is from the way the writers are now? I don't know. Either way, it feels extremely lazy.
Like, there's the episode earlier on (can't remember the name) with John Waters guest starring, where he's Homer's friend, and Homer doesn't know he's gay. They do some relatively inoffensive jokes about gay stereotypes, most of the episode actually feels quite in favour of camp-ness, with the focus and character arc being Homer dealing with some ignorant homophobic feelings. It felt quite sincere, the character was flawed but he learned something about himself and his prejudices. At the end he quits worrying about if Bart is gay and realizes it doesn't matter or something iirc.

I'm not bitching about this because I'm offended or anything, more just confused. I recently saw an episode from a much later season, that's probably still like 10 years old now, that felt way more ignorant and backwards than previous episodes dealing with the same subject. No idea what the episode was, but it was something about Lisa dressing up as a guy for some reason.
It had a joke with Marge referring to her own daughter as a "he-she", and Nelson laughing at Principal Skinner for wearing drag or something and straight up calling him "a tranny". :eyepop:
It loving blew my mind, it felt like such a simple, dipshit Family Guy joke. Not for the language use or anything but the laziness of the entire punchline just being "haha, that person is different!"
Maybe the end of the episode had a moral that was similar to the John Waters one, not sure, I turned it off after like ten minutes because it was really loving unfunny.

It just seemed really out of place compared to even other way later episodes, like when Patty or Selma (can't remember which one), came out as a lesbian and Marge told her "just because you're a lesbian doesn't make you less of a bein'," a joke my mom still finds cute. :3:
The tone was so completely different.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

This is such an obvious, cheap thing that The Simpsons has done for a while now, and it seems so at odds with other episodes. Maybe that disjointed feeling is from the way the writers are now? I don't know. Either way, it feels extremely lazy.
Like, there's the episode earlier on (can't remember the name) with John Waters guest starring, where he's Homer's friend, and Homer doesn't know he's gay. They do some relatively inoffensive jokes about gay stereotypes, most of the episode actually feels quite in favour of camp-ness, with the focus and character arc being Homer dealing with some ignorant homophobic feelings. It felt quite sincere, the character was flawed but he learned something about himself and his prejudices. At the end he quits worrying about if Bart is gay and realizes it doesn't matter or something iirc.

I'm not bitching about this because I'm offended or anything, more just confused. I recently saw an episode from a much later season, that's probably still like 10 years old now, that felt way more ignorant and backwards than previous episodes dealing with the same subject. No idea what the episode was, but it was something about Lisa dressing up as a guy for some reason.
It had a joke with Marge referring to her own daughter as a "he-she", and Nelson laughing at Principal Skinner for wearing drag or something and straight up calling him "a tranny". :eyepop:
It loving blew my mind, it felt like such a simple, dipshit Family Guy joke. Not for the language use or anything but the laziness of the entire punchline just being "haha, that person is different!"
Maybe the end of the episode had a moral that was similar to the John Waters one, not sure, I turned it off after like ten minutes because it was really loving unfunny.

It just seemed really out of place compared to even other way later episodes, like when Patty or Selma (can't remember which one), came out as a lesbian and Marge told her "just because you're a lesbian doesn't make you less of a bein'," a joke my mom still finds cute. :3:
The tone was so completely different.

Yeah it's so hosed up, like since we were on the topic of the film especially. My sisters kids were watching it, my husband and I were in the room and when Bart's naked Ralph sees and is like "I like men now" and then in church Ned announces he has something to say and Homer has his fingers crossed saying "gay gay gay gay". Like what?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

classic simpsons was cynical but also genuinely cared about its characters. it was never mean for no reason, nor was it too saccharine (outside of Marge Be Not Proud, which had a "very special episode" vibe to it). Lisa the Vegetarian and Homer's Phobia struck that balance very well

today, it manages to be mean-spirited and way too treacly, no in between. also it's not funny

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Marge Be Not Proud has a "very special episode" vibe because that trope would have been about how stealing is wrong and you should do the right thing. Marge barely cares that he stole, but her inner conflict is whether or not they failed him as parents and should give up on him. Later, he proves her wrong.

A typical 90's sitcom would not have had this subversive aspect.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I don't think Marge Be Not Proud has a "very special episode" vibe because that trope would have been about how stealing is wrong and you should do the right thing. Marge barely cares that he stole, but her inner conflict is whether or not they failed him as parents and should give up on him. Later, he proves her wrong.

"STEALING! Don't you ever listen to that guy who gives those sermons at church? Captain What's-His-Name? And why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies?! For FUN?! Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did YOU?!"

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_qDG9wO_o

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

QwertySanchez posted:

Oh yeah, I've seen bits of it on youtube, they go to Kodos and Kang's home planet and they're in a zoo and them something stupid happens and they're going to eat homer but he escapes and leaves his family then comes back because he feels bag and they decide to eat all of them and they die because of all the nasty chemicals in the simpsons diet and also all the colestoral in Homer's rear end. or something, I've taken to watching random clip compilations on youtube of simpsons and other lovely cartoons I don't wanna watch the full episode of but still wanna see how they're doing.

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qcY2ERwmaU

they make out like this is some big gimmicky thing but god dammit the earlier seasons of simpsons were animated this well. It's just so stiff now, everyone just stands there and blinks like on family guy.

marge_robot_head_turn.gif

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

When I was like 5 I stole a slim Jim from a video store cause I didn't really know any better and my mom made me return it and apologize and I saw that episode like a year later and it made me feel really lovely

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The thing I remember about the movie is that during the epic final motorcycle scene there's a cutaway to Martin getting revenge on the bullies, as if that was something fans desperately wanted to see.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Marge the Alcoholic episode, and that one with Lisa and Lady Gaga.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, the other thing about Marge Be Not Proud is it shows the bullies easily getting away with stealing over and over (although they are stealing useless crap), and the spoiled brat kid who demands and gets two copies of Bonestorm because he doesn't want to share (who's mom makes a comment about what bad parents Bart must have), Milhouse having it and bragging about it... it makes a point to show you why he would be driven toward stealing it and also that the other kids (besides Milhouse) are legit bad kids.

It also has THRILLHO, Lee Carvello's Putting Challenge, Cat-fish? Homer's nonsensical rant about stealing posted above and later drawing a robot instead of writing down Bart's punishment... it isn't in any way a signifier of a decline in quality and I don't think anyone ever thought twice about it until that Zombie Simpsons article makes a big deal out of it for some reason.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 20, 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001
marge be not proud was great you idiots

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGIxuXh2wuA

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

pram posted:

marge be not proud was great you idiots

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
on the marge be not proud dvd commentary they couldn't stop talking about how great the actor is they got to do the voice of the security guard

I'd never heard of him or seen him in anything else

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

on the marge be not proud dvd commentary they couldn't stop talking about how great the actor is they got to do the voice of the security guard

I'd never heard of him or seen him in anything else

He's the bald mob boss in Reservoir Dogs

(:nws: I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5KhfJHF_4

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Also Elaine's dad in Seinfeld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtj37lNCMAM

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The movie was bad, I don't understand how people can consider it good
The most baffling thing about the movie is that they've spent years and years on the show with Rainier Wolfcastle as the Simpsons version of Arnold Schwarzenegger. And in the movie they just straight up call him Schwarzenegger instead.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Yeah it's so hosed up, like since we were on the topic of the film especially. My sisters kids were watching it, my husband and I were in the room and when Bart's naked Ralph sees and is like "I like men now" and then in church Ned announces he has something to say and Homer has his fingers crossed saying "gay gay gay gay". Like what?

Gay jokes are still funny you PC idiot.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Apparently when he filmed that episode everyone on set was terrified of him and for some reason he stole a butcher's knife from the set for jerry's kitchen and threatened jerry with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oh, the other thing about Marge Be Not Proud is it shows the bullies easily getting away with stealing over and over (although they are stealing useless crap), and the spoiled brat kid who demands and gets two copies of Bonestorm because he doesn't want to share (who's mom makes a comment about what bad parents Bart must have), Milhouse having it and bragging about it... it makes a point to show you why he would be driven toward stealing it and also that the other kids (besides Milhouse) are legit bad kids.

Not only that but Marge comes off as being genuinely hurt by all of it. It's been a little while but I remember the episode having a darker tone to it, probably because it was nailing the feeling of Marge being at her wit's end when it comes to trying to raise Bart well. The other thing about it is that ends well, and it's an earned ending where Bart does learn the error of his ways and it doesn't feel forced.