Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
unless you go to the absolutely most expensive med school in the world and turn that into being a GP in Hooterville, med school cost isn't really a concern. the plight of debt riddled doctors isn't really a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

jfc the trump interview

The excerpts are out. I have a feeling it will be entered into a court record at some point.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-transcript.html

Read it if you think you might enjoy Grandpa Ranty's Power Hour. It mostly just makes my head hurt.

..... Whoa he rants about Napoleon and Hitler https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/887882493948448773

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

trump is super mad that jr is under investigated

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

jfc the trump interview

Which one now?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

unless you go to the absolutely most expensive med school in the world and turn that into being a GP in Hooterville, med school cost isn't really a concern. the plight of debt riddled doctors isn't really a thing.

This isn't what I have been told by pretty much every MD I've ever spoke to about this. They all said that loan repayments/school debt takes up just over a third of their starting pay, with another huge chunk taken by malpractice insurance.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

This isn't what I have been told by pretty much every MD I've ever spoke to about this. They all said that loan repayments/school debt takes up just over a third of their starting pay, with another huge chunk taken by malpractice insurance.
Now if you fail to graduate from med school, that's expensive. I had a teacher in high school who decided partway through med school that it wasn't for him so he was paying off his loans with a teacher's salary.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

My cousin is an ER surgeon in a wealthy metropolitan area. He'll be bleeding money until he's about 40 and has paid off his student loans and refinanced his mortgage

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hahahahaha

Even really valuable specializations are going to carry that ball and chain for a while.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd still br up for JohnMcCainisConcerned.com. it can be a historical document for anyone who wants to act like his post-Vietnam legacy is worth anything.

I was hoping this was real cause I'm seeing folks putting him on a pedestal for Reasons and I knew he had a been pretty dismissive of poo poo with the ~*concern*~ line but I couldn't find anything super concrete.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The Trump interview is like Rohm-Putsch if it was done a decade later.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
The lowest paid specialty in the civilian world is pediatrics, with an average salary around $190k. So if you do a med school scholarship at a fairly expensive school and get out after your first tour, you're doing well.

If you specialized in almost anything else and have any financial discipline, you are better off financially as a civilian, not to mention foregoing all of the military b.s.

The reason most doctors have debt following them for so long is that they either went into a low-paying specialty (pediatrics, family medicine, etc.) or they couldn't resist living it up after residency. It's hard, after working for 3-7ish years for 80+ hours a week and getting browbeat by every attending physician to continue to live modestly when you suddenly have a lot more time and a lot more money. Plus, wives are finally looking for a dividend after some really difficult years.

I'm happy to have served--it was important to me growing up to have a chance to join the military and defend ar freedumz, but I would never advise a med student to join based on the financial spreadsheet. They ought to have another reason to make it worthwhile.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I was hoping this was real cause I'm seeing folks putting him on a pedestal for Reasons and I knew he had a been pretty dismissive of poo poo with the ~*concern*~ line but I couldn't find anything super concrete.
Somebody in GIP suggested it at some point and now I kind of want to make it. I'm thinking interactive timelime with all the various times he became concerned, with context added. Like here's all the times he was concerned about Iraq, with a helpful graph below showing how many US service members had died by that point. And his pretending to be a maverick expressing concern about legislation joined up to his actual voting record.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody in GIP suggested it at some point and now I kind of want to make it. I'm thinking interactive timelime with all the various times he became concerned, with context added. Like here's all the times he was concerned about Iraq, with a helpful graph below showing how many US service members had died by that point. And his pretending to be a maverick expressing concern about legislation joined up to his actual voting record.

Yeah that'd be pretty interesting to thumb through.

Also holy hell :prepop:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:discourse:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

dunked

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah that'd be pretty interesting to thumb through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarH-PTKulQ&t=5s

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

also she forgot where Trump made fun of him for being a POW

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Eh, I'd really like to see that letter. There's a lot of daylight between,

"lol, guess you better move then - XOXO, John"

and

"While I wish to express my deepest sympathies for your misfortune, there is literally nothing a US Senator can do to unfuck your issue with Arizona's Medicaid system in an amount of time that will make a difference for your husband, so my advice would be to go wherever you think you can get him the best care. "

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

The excerpts are out. I have a feeling it will be entered into a court record at some point.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-transcript.html

Read it if you think you might enjoy Grandpa Ranty's Power Hour. It mostly just makes my head hurt.

..... Whoa he rants about Napoleon and Hitler https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/887882493948448773

I read the whole thing and I have to hand it to him, his self preservation instincts are strong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The optics on saying "Hitler finished a little bit bad..."

Well gently caress it Trump. He really cant get much lower for me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

The optics on saying "Hitler finished a little bit bad..."

Well gently caress it Trump. He really cant get much lower for me.
I decided he was in the 95th or so percentile of how much of a garbage human being you can be in 2011. Before that he was just a reality tv idiot to me.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I didn't see this posted already.

Here's Donnie presumably propositioning Putin with a handjob:

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DFIRTtUUMAE6loz.mp4

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This brain tumor could explain the weird questions and confusion as of recent, particularly at the Comes hearing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Derek Dominoe posted:

The lowest paid specialty in the civilian world is pediatrics, with an average salary around $190k. So if you do a med school scholarship at a fairly expensive school and get out after your first tour, you're doing well.

If you specialized in almost anything else and have any financial discipline, you are better off financially as a civilian, not to mention foregoing all of the military b.s.

The reason most doctors have debt following them for so long is that they either went into a low-paying specialty (pediatrics, family medicine, etc.) or they couldn't resist living it up after residency. It's hard, after working for 3-7ish years for 80+ hours a week and getting browbeat by every attending physician to continue to live modestly when you suddenly have a lot more time and a lot more money. Plus, wives are finally looking for a dividend after some really difficult years.

I'm happy to have served--it was important to me growing up to have a chance to join the military and defend ar freedumz, but I would never advise a med student to join based on the financial spreadsheet. They ought to have another reason to make it worthwhile.

Pediatrics pays better than psychiatry?

That seems.. stupid.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Pediatrics pays better than psychiatry?

That seems.. stupid.

Consider the clientele: A lot of people will pay ungodly amounts of money and go into debt for their children.

A lot of people will only go to a psychiatrist with a court order.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh, I'd really like to see that letter. There's a lot of daylight between,

"lol, guess you better move then - XOXO, John"

and

"While I wish to express my deepest sympathies for your misfortune, there is literally nothing a US Senator can do to unfuck your issue with Arizona's Medicaid system in an amount of time that will make a difference for your husband, so my advice would be to go wherever you think you can get him the best care. "

Does anyone but me see this as a possible example of the universe engaging in some kind of karmic return for McCain's behavior toward this person? I wouldn't wish harm or suffering on anyone. Telling someone there's not much they can do while every day being a part of the system that has/had these bad plans in place in the first place ...saying there's nothing you can do when you have the ability to protest over the current system you're a part of... I just.. I mean..right? I'm not saying I believe anyone deserves any form of cancer or suffering. I mean it's just...the fact that he gets the same thing in return. At what point do coincidences stop being coincidences? Seeing former actions like that on his behalf, with the follow up that has happened - it is only likely to make me further delve into the research of right and wrong, light and dark, karma, etc..

I don't like seeing anyone suffer, this is all buttkiss.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the universe is cold and unfeeling and gives zero shits about what any individual human does because on a cosmic scale who cares

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

quote:

We don’t have bad people. I know the bad people. Believe me, do I know bad people.

🤔

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Professor Bling posted:

the universe is cold and unfeeling and gives zero shits about what any individual human does because on a cosmic scale who cares
Yup.
There is no just world. Which actually makes it easy for me to sleep at night because nothing matters, let alone my anxiety.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How the gently caress is that interview not a hit piece and is an actual interview?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TBeats posted:

How the gently caress is that interview not a hit piece and is an actual interview?

Maggie Haberman (NYT) has basically stumbled upon the most damaging thing to the Trump presidency.

Letting Donnie talk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Turkey just released the position of 10 US bases in Syria:

http://taskandpurpose.com/turkey-ju...m_medium=social

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Man plows car into 12 people at graveside burial service, no national coverage plus whitey's KDR sucks.

http://www.wltx.com/news/local/family-hit-by-car-during-funeral-at-columbia-cemetery/457893464

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wonder if this era is like a sociologists's Christmas or if it's their nightmare.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

facialimpediment posted:

Maggie Haberman (NYT) has basically stumbled upon the most damaging thing to the Trump presidency.

Letting Donnie talk.
https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/887987198146097152

Akie Abe pretended not to speak English for two hours so she wouldn't have to talk to Trump.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ugh, didn't realize that the NRA has continued the series it began with Dana Loesch wherein it incites gun owners to violence against protesters and demands subservience to the glorious Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrM8kq12-g

I own two Rugers, but sure as gently caress am not giving them another dime if they don't outright condemn this fascist poo poo and withdraw their sponsorship. As pigs flying has a higher probability, anyone know a gun company that isn't deep in bed with these jackbooted thugs?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
why would OJ possibly get denied parole because he was jerking off? Are you really not allowed to jerk off when locked up? I don't care if he stays locked up forever I just need to know because this changes everything about how many illegal risks I take in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TBeats posted:

why would OJ possibly get denied parole because he was jerking off? Are you really not allowed to jerk off when locked up? I don't care if he stays locked up forever I just need to know because this changes everything about how many illegal risks I take in life.
Yes, in many prisons it is forbidden to jerk off.

quote:

A similar case occurred in Florida in 2006: Broward County inmate Terry Lee Alexander was sitting alone on his bunk masturbating when a female deputy who was monitoring him from a central control room more than 100 feet away took exception to Alexander’s “blatant” exertions and wrote him up. Alexander was charged and convicted of exposure, with the jury determining that a cell is “a limited access public place.” The same deputy had also filed reports on seven other locked-up masturbators. When Alexander’s attorney asked the deputy in court if she had considered calling a SWAT team to halt his client’s activity, she replied, “I wish I had.”

• Locked thread