Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'll shuffle it around so it's in order of when you can get to the location. Also I didn't bother giving directions in the Great Crystal cause it's a mess, everything in there is good so you should be opening everything you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So, you only use diamond armlet for the cerobi steppe, nothing else?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cerobi Steppe and Trial Mode so yes.

If you're getting knots of rust in the steppe don't worry there's just still a chance that you'll get knots or real good stuff with the armlet on.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Nice list. I have all of that poo poo up to where I've gotten in the game already though, because I'm an obsessive freak who checks every nook and cranny.

Also i apparently lucked into some real good job combos by just picking the ones i liked the sound of, giving them to the characters that felt most appropriate and then doing the same with the second set.
Vaan - shikari/white mage
Penelo - monk/black mage
Balthier - uhlan/machinist
Fran - red mage/archer
Ashe - time mage/knight
Basch - foebreaker/bushi

Y'all should just play the game and not worry too much.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The double job system makes it really hard not to come out with a good team.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's closer to the original FFXII than IZJS version in that regard.

I'm considering playing the game first with single jobs only since you can't just cherry pick the stuff you need and compensate all weaknesses with a second job.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Four job fiesta it or try weak mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Nice list. I have all of that poo poo up to where I've gotten in the game already though, because I'm an obsessive freak who checks every nook and cranny.

Also i apparently lucked into some real good job combos by just picking the ones i liked the sound of, giving them to the characters that felt most appropriate and then doing the same with the second set.
Vaan - shikari/white mage
Penelo - monk/black mage
Balthier - uhlan/machinist
Fran - red mage/archer
Ashe - time mage/knight
Basch - foebreaker/bushi

Y'all should just play the game and not worry too much.

Yeah man, you did fantastic. You've basically got a list of the best job combos around right there.

I have Basch as a Bushi/Knight and holy poo poo this guy owns with a katana.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Larsa: I need you to accompany me to Mt Bur-Omisace so I may speak with Al-Cid

Me: Cool yeah but come with me first so you can feed me hi-potions and I can beat up a mousse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Story stuff:

You know what I like about Vaan? I like how quickly he drops the bullshit. Yeah, he starts out as this annoying, impulsive jackass talking about being a sky pirate and making some real questionable decisions regarding burglary, but by like 25% through the game he drops the poo poo and becomes the mature, level-headed one. He's the one who calls himself out on how stupid that "I'm gonna be a sky pirate!" stuff was, all while providing Ashe with an example of someone who lost everything to the Empire but who can let go of his desire for vengeance rather than be consumed by it.

Also, this story really wastes Basch, I think. It's been a while, so maybe there are some late-game Basch moments I'm forgetting, but it doesn't seem like they give him very much to do in the plot post-Vossler, and that's a shame because he's pretty great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Tbh I'd never understood the Vaan hate since he's just so drat inoffensive.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think it was mostly that Vaan fell in the background after the plot gets rolling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because the Square-Enix CEO forced Matsuno at gunpoint to add him when the game was 99% complete because otherwise they'd sell -1 billion copies raaaghh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I think it's the perception that he's somehow the protagonist despite the presence of more capable, more interesting characters like Basch, Ashe, and Balthier. And he's got kind of an annoying voice (why didn't they just have Yuri Lowenthal voice him instead of Reks?) and he dresses like a shiny version of Aladdin. But he isn't the protagonist, and he quickly falls into his real supporting role once Ashe, the real protagonist, joins the group. And his supporting role is a great one--he grows up exactly when he needs to and provides a really important foil for Ashe's all-consuming desire for vengeance.

Part of it is the (I'm pretty sure) myth that Basch was going to be the main character but they were forced to add Vaan. As far as I know, there's little support for that, especially when it's so obvious that Ashe is the main character.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MMF Freeway posted:

He's just kind of ok while everyone else is really great. His arc is interesting though, but he serves more as a mirror for Ashe's development than anything else.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Turns out just by talking to merchants they unlock the grimoires in the bazaar.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I recall that the original Director of FF12 had to stop because he had a nervous breakdown? Was that caused by the CEO's breathing down his neck?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sefal posted:

I recall that the original Director of FF12 had to stop because he had a nervous breakdown? Was that caused by the CEO's breathing down his neck?

I don't think there's been any real comment on that, nor do we really know enough about the game's development to realistically speculate what might have led to Matsuno's illness/breakdown/whatever it really was. He did leave the project, and Square-Enix as a whole, so clearly he wasn't happy there, but FFXII still has his fingerprints all over it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sefal posted:

Matsuno was the writer and it was probably more because it was his first 'big' title, he'd previously only worked on much smaller scale games, though I doubt anyone will really know what happened.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Golden Goat posted:

Larsa: I need you to accompany me to Mt Bur-Omisace so I may speak with Al-Cid

Me: Cool yeah but come with me first so you can feed me hi-potions and I can beat up a mousse.

I'm so glad this was one of the trophy icons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you like Matsuno's general thing, by the way, check out the Tactics Ogre games, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story--those are what he did before FFXII, and they'll probably feel really familiar. His games always seem to be scored by Hitoshi Sakimoto, too.

Something I like about Matsuno is his fascination with that goes on in the background of moments of big historical importance. I see a lot of complaints about FFXII's story because your characters aren't present for a lot of the grand moments, but instead running around chasing after ancient artifacts and occasionally talking to the people who are doing the big, national-scale things. But I think that's the point, and it's also true of FFT--if that game was about being on the grand stage of history, you'd be playing as Delita, not Ramza. I'd say that FFXII doesn't do this as gracefully as Tactics does, but it's still there and I think it still really works.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm so glad this was one of the trophy icons.

The trophy icons are very good, but I'm sad there's no sky pirate den.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

The trophy icons are very good, but I'm sad there's no sky pirate den.

:same:

I loved getting little sprites of the characters, like Balthier surfing on a hoverboard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trouble with FF12 compared to Tactics is that in FFT the main characters were still actually doing stuff whereas the guys in 12 seem to spend most of their time bouncing from one wild goose chase to another.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i played 8 for the first time yesterday and it's amazing how they were able to make a game where literally every character but the MC is cool and likable

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Squall is extremely cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The trouble with FF12 compared to Tactics is that in FFT the main characters were still actually doing stuff whereas the guys in 12 seem to spend most of their time bouncing from one wild goose chase to another.

The characters still accomplish a lot in FFXII, especially towards the end, but you're right that FFT is much better about it. I mean, the story in general is more exciting in FFT, I think. I prefer the version of Ivalice we see in FFXII, but the character dynamics and the overall plot development in Tactics is the best Final Fantasy has ever done.

I don't think that's hyperbole, either. Like I think Delita might be the best-written character in the entire series. The place where Tactics falls down, unfortunately, is how named characters who join your party are required to drop out of the plot because now they can potentially perma-die, and that sucks, especially for cool characters like Agrias.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

If you like Matsuno's general thing, by the way, check out the Tactics Ogre games, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story--those are what he did before FFXII, and they'll probably feel really familiar. His games always seem to be scored by Hitoshi Sakimoto, too.

Something I like about Matsuno is his fascination with that goes on in the background of moments of big historical importance. I see a lot of complaints about FFXII's story because your characters aren't present for a lot of the grand moments, but instead running around chasing after ancient artifacts and occasionally talking to the people who are doing the big, national-scale things. But I think that's the point, and it's also true of FFT--if that game was about being on the grand stage of history, you'd be playing as Delita, not Ramza. I'd say that FFXII doesn't do this as gracefully as Tactics does, but it's still there and I think it still really works.

Tactics is on my list to play soon. Somebody said that there was a patch for the psp slowdown thing. So going to look into that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sefal posted:

Tactics is on my list to play soon. Somebody said that there was a patch for the psp slowdown thing. So going to look into that.

The mobile version is the PSP game with no slowdown if you have a tablet or phone made on the last couple of years. Though you have to deal with touch screen controls then but they're not that bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mandatory lesbian posted:

i played 8 for the first time yesterday and it's amazing how they were able to make a game where literally every character but the MC is cool and likable

Quistis is a really weird character because everything about the way she speaks and acts puts her about 15 years older but because this is a Final Fantasy game we have to age the entire cast down to teenagers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sefal posted:

Yeah, if you can patch out the slowdown problems, the PSP version is probably the better one to play. Though I think the dialog in the prologue and the game's first Chapter has so many wonderful, iconic lines in the PS1 version that I can't help but feel a little sad that they're gone in the retranslation.

I'll never forgive them for removing "Blame yourself or God!", "Surrender or die in obscurity," or "Animals have no god!"

Sakurazuka posted:

The mobile version is the PSP game with no slowdown if you have a tablet or phone made on the last couple of years. Though you have to deal with touch screen controls then but they're not that bad.

I considered grabbing that on iOS but I figured the touchscreen controls but with the exact same UI would be kind of cumbersome. But if I'm going to play anything with a touchscreen, a tactics-RPG is probably the best option.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

FFT's story is great until the final chapter. Then again the previous chapter is the best part of the game so it's hard to top it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Someone mentioned earlier that they hope Ivalice gets a boost in popularity from Zodiac Age and we end up with FFT:A3. It should be mentioned that the upcoming 24-person raid in FFXIV is called Return to Ivalice, so it's not impossible!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

In the end though, that's not really true. The cast of 12 literally frees mankind from the yoke of an unseen, unknown force that has been manipulating them for centuries. It's a journey that meanders a bit, but every step they take is important. Yes, the rulers of kingdoms have history written about them, but the cast of 12 are the ones really writing it. In the end, like most Matsuno characters, they are the unsung heroes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mill Village posted:

FFT's story is great until the final chapter. Then again the previous chapter is the best part of the game so it's hard to top it.

Matsuno has a habit of leaving behind all the cool politics-and-history stuff and going full JRPG towards the end of his games, so yeah, the last chapter is probably the weakest because it's the most "save the world from ancient evil" of all of them.

Kelp Me! posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that they hope Ivalice gets a boost in popularity from Zodiac Age and we end up with FFT:A3. It should be mentioned that the upcoming 24-person raid in FFXIV is called Return to Ivalice, so it's not impossible!

Man, I hope so. FFTA3 on 3DS or even Switch would be the best poo poo. Just iron out the weird ability-learning curve from FFTA2, that'd be nice. I don't mind learning abilities from items in FFIX, and it was generally okay in FFTA, but FFTA2 made acquiring the right items kind of convoluted, and that's how you unlock jobs, and it made the whole thing very unfun for me.

Levantine posted:

In the end though, that's not really true. The cast of 12 literally frees mankind from the yoke of an unseen, unknown force that has been manipulating them for centuries. It's a journey that meanders a bit, but every step they take is important. Yes, the rulers of kingdoms have history written about them, but the cast of 12 are the ones really writing it. In the end, like most Matsuno characters, they are the unsung heroes.

Unusually for a Matsuno game, though, they don't really get screwed over in the process. In FFT, your party just doesn't get to end up well at all, and the degree to which they were hosed over depends on your read of one particular ending scene. In FFXII, everybody lives, and everybody goes on to live a meaningful life. Basch's role is a little weird, but Ashe becomes queen, Balthier and Fran continue on their adventures, and Vaan and Penelo get to start the adventuring they always wanted to do.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 20, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Matsuno has a habit of leaving behind all the cool politics-and-history stuff and going full JRPG towards the end of his games, so yeah, the last chapter is probably the weakest because it's the most "save the world from ancient evil" of all of them.

I don't really agree with this. Matsuno consistently lays threads that lead to that final act so no one should be surprised. FFT puts the Lucavi in your path early on. The endgame naturally leads to its conclusion, in my opinion, because the stage was already set for it long before that final chapter. The politics of his world are almost always shaped by the magical JRPG stuff and you're playing the characters that interact with it, not the politicians.

e:

Harrow posted:

Unusually for a Matsuno game, though, they don't really get screwed over in the process. In FFT, your party just doesn't get to end up well at all, and the degree to which they were hosed over depends on your read of one particular ending scene. In FFXII, everybody lives, and everybody goes on to live a meaningful life. Basch's role is a little weird, but Ashe becomes queen, Balthier and Fran continue on their adventures, and Vaan and Penelo get to start the adventuring they always wanted to do.

That is an interesting break from his convention, and I kind of like it for that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Even Tactics Ogre falls into that trap with the ending, however the whole "ancient evil" deal doesn't really come into play until the final dungeon.

Also the script in the Tactics Ogre PSP remake is honestly better than FFT in terms of depth and political meandering. It also has three separate story branches in the middle two acts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

I don't really agree with this. Matsuno consistently lays threads that lead to that final act so no one should be surprised. FFT puts the Lucavi in your path early on. The endgame naturally leads to its conclusion, in my opinion, because the stage was already set for it long before that final chapter. The politics of his world are almost always shaped by the magical JRPG stuff and you're playing the characters that interact with it, not the politicians.

Yeah, that's fair, but it's also something that I think FFT does better than FFXII. In particular, Vayne's transformation into an airship-sized monster at the end always struck me as very odd, but I guess it's no different from how Vagrant Story ends. What saves that for me is the creepy and beautiful way that Venat decides it's going to go to death alongside Vayne, I think.

Levantine posted:

That is an interesting break from his convention, and I kind of like it for that.

Agreed. I was definitely relieved that they didn't kill off Balthier and Fran in the end, but instead basically pulled a Zidane-from-FF9 with them.

Vargatron posted:

Also the script in the Tactics Ogre PSP remake is honestly better than FFT in terms of depth and political meandering. It also has three separate story branches in the middle two acts.

The Tactics Ogre PSP remake is really, really good. For some reason I have a harder time getting my head around the gameplay in Tactics Ogre than in FFT, but I think it might actually be the better tactics game, gameplay-wise.

Also, I love that it lets you experience all the story branches on one save pretty gracefully, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 20, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

Because the Square-Enix CEO forced Matsuno at gunpoint to add him when the game was 99% complete because otherwise they'd sell -1 billion copies raaaghh.

That's untrue though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Man I wanna play Tactics now.