Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

My god, you couldn't miss my point harder.

WE KNOW HE WILL BE REPLACED BY A WORSE PERSON!
McCain votes in lockstep with the Republicans on everything important. It can't get worse.

I'd actually take a crazy ideologue over McCain, because McCain makes the public discourse worse by giving people an excuse to pretend the Republican party is a thoughtful and deliberative group of statesmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
can polonium cause brain cancer

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Arizonas governor is very conservative so mccains replacement will surely be worse if he dies.

Yeah Senator Worse-Than-McCain will still vote for every poo poo bill just like McCain did, but Senator W-t-M's seat will be up in 2018 instead of 2022.

Two Senate seats up in a midterm with an unpopular president, after a massive failure on what was the GOP's signature campaign issue for almost a decade, in a state that has been trending ever purpler, in a region the rest of which has already flipped blue.

Oh yeah, and it only takes three seats to flip the senate, and Nevada is already expected to go D.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 20, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

evilweasel posted:

Arizonas governor is very conservative so mccains replacement will surely be worse if he dies.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

But it's actually sort of good that someone who gets bipartisan and maverick credit for voting with Trump 95% of the time will be replaced by someone who doesn't get credit for voting with Trump 95% of the time.

Obviously the best Senator is one who votes with Trump zero percent of the time like a Senator on life support

Edit: essentially beaten

Double edit:

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah Senator Worse-Than-McCain will still vote for every poo poo bill just like McCain did, but Senator W-t-M's seat will be up in 2018 instead of 2022.

Two Senate seats up in a midterm with an unpopular president, after a massive failure on what was the GOP's signature campaign issue for almost a decade, in a state that has been trending ever purpler, in a region the rest of which has already flipped blue.

Oh yeah, and it only takes three seats to flip the senate, and Nevada is already expected to go D.

Dems will still need to hold several seats in deep red states. Making gains in the Senate in 2018 is a huge uphill climb, but having a new opening in AZ obviously helps.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 20, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Can someone get a definite answer on this, because we've been going back and forth on it all day. There are two camps - one saying the replacement would finish McCains term, one saying they would have an election in 2018. Which is right?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Can someone get a definite answer on this, because we've been going back and forth on it all day. There are two camps - one saying the replacement would finish McCains term, one saying they would have an election in 2018. Which is right?

The Governor will pick an appointee who will serve until the next general election in 2018. The person elected in 2018 will serve the rest of McCain's term until 2022.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Fulchrum posted:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate.aspx

Arizona falls under "next regularly scheduled statewide general." Which is likely 2018, even for senators.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Rust Martialis posted:

gently caress all you idiots who want McCain to die quickly. I want him to live and be healthy enough not to resign his seat but not quite well enough to actually show up in the Senate, until his term expires. A permanent "he'll be back working again soon we hope".
This but also if he does die or resign, sometime around June 2018 or whenever the ballot cutoff is would be nice. I wish him the most comfort that allows one of these two things to happen.

Considering he'd likely put me in the ground given a chance, I don't think this is too much to ask.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you don't read the Aeronautical Insanity thread (you should), Air Canada almost pulled a Tenerife at San Fran this past month that isn't getting nearly the headlines outside the aviation circles.

https://twitter.com/mat/status/887672172499550209

Because of course you want to privatize ATC, Trump. This won't end in deaths at all.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 20, 2017

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
Limbo McCain will just cause the senate to have 99 members instead of 100+tiebreaker. So Republicans will still need to get 50 votes to pass whatever, but they can't count on the concern and vote of McCain. Having him be senator but not actually vote is the best scenario.

Whatever guy gets appointed, that's a guaranteed vote - unless he takes after Cruz or Paul.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you don't read the Aeronautical Insanity thread (you should), Air Canada almost pulled a Tenerife at San Fran this past month that isn't getting nearly the headlines outside the aviation circles.

https://twitter.com/mat/status/887672172499550209

Because of course you want to privatize ATC, Trump. This won't end in deaths at all.
Landing on a taxiway is pilot error, not ATC error.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Playstation 4 posted:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate.aspx

Arizona falls under "next regularly scheduled statewide general." Which is likely 2018, even for senators.

You mean the truth....

Was somewhere in the middle?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
How hosed is Sessions? If Trump is claiming he wouldn't have hired him if he knew he'd have recused himself, what point is there for Sessions to defend Trump?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Ash Crimson posted:

How hosed is Sessions? If Trump is claiming he wouldn't have hired him if he knew he'd have recused himself, what point is there for Sessions to defend Trump?

His lust for poor death and the enrichment of the prison industry.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder, Manafort faked airplane repairs so Donnie couldn't fly back to NYC(for a quick recharge in his cursed tanning bed) before a quick trip into NJ to tell the Fatass himself he's the veep.
Yeah that one's looking really fishy in hindsight.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Sessions already tried to resign, which was not accepted by Trump. I expect the bus-throwing to the NYTs is just Trump's way of continuing to not accept any responsibility for any of his own decisions. He knows sessions is loyal, but weak, however loyalty seems to be the only thing Trump wants out of his appointees.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ash Crimson posted:

Sessions is fine. Everyone must know that Trump wouldn't have hired an Attorney General who wouldn't be able to run interference for him. Sessions also has things he wants to accomplish at the DOJ, so I expect he will stand by Trump 100% so that he gets to stay in the role.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

hosed up if true.

U.S. Lawmakers Seek to Criminally Outlaw Support for Boycott Campaign Against Israel

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

You gotta make money somehow.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Sessions is basically at a dead end without DOJ and he gets to do all the heinous things he's wanted to do while there so he's not going anywhere unless Trump puts his foot down, which I really doubt. It's too convenient for Trump to keep scapegoating him.

However I'm wondering if Kushner is trying to get rid of Sessions behind the scenes so they can appoint an unrecused AG who can fire Mueller and take the heat for it. That'll be an interesting confirmation hearing.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Landing on a taxiway is pilot error, not ATC error.

I think the point was that ATC waking up and going "hey go around, don't land" was what prevented the disaster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Appointing a new AG, especially in this environment, will take time. Until then deputy AG Rosensteun would be in charge and he isn't firing Mueller.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How much farther does this have to go before Joe McCarthy bursts out of a painting like Vigo the Carpathian?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What was will be. What is will be no more.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

I think the point was that ATC waking up and going "hey go around, don't land" was what prevented the disaster.

Bingo.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Appointing a new AG, especially in this environment, will take time. Until then deputy AG Rosensteun would be in charge and he isn't firing Mueller.

The Mueller investigation is expected to take a while. There might be enough time to fire Sessions, get a new AG in place with a compliant Senate and then fire Mueller before the investigation is even close to complete.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Does the US keep sucking Israels dick because of some religious reasons? Like oh they are the chosen people in the holy land and when a temple there gets rebuild/destroyed Jesus will fly back to Earth and everyone will die and that is what we want!!

Or is it about money? Having a strong ally in the middle east? All of the above? None of the above?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Antti posted:

The Mueller investigation is expected to take a while. There might be enough time to fire Sessions, get a new AG in place with a compliant Senate and then fire Mueller before the investigation is even close to complete.

If Collins and Murkowski could be concerned enough not to have a vote, with McCain in limbo we would be at a 50-49stalemate

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

guys i'm real fucken tired.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Antti posted:

At that point we're looking at Civil War II: Atomic Edition because we'd be a dictatorship with absolute power given to the executive and the legislative existing as a rubber-stamp to at least give the guise of a democracy.

Also rural vs. city would be a weird loving war to wage.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Ripoff posted:

At that point we're looking at Civil War II: Atomic Edition because we'd be a dictatorship with absolute power given to the executive and the legislative existing as a rubber-stamp to at least give the guise of a democracy.

Also rural vs. city would be a weird loving war to wage.

I have bad news because I really don't think Congress would put its foot down even if Mueller got fired (Trump could do it even right now himself if he wanted to, the AG switcharoo would just be to get some kind of cover), and there would not be a civil war over it.

Note that we've rapidly, in a few weeks, gone from "collusion is a conspiracy theory" to "collusion is fine and everyone does it" as the GOP talking point.

Edit: In retrospect, having an informal constitutional order where the legality of the executive's actions is monitored and enforced by a DOJ which is supposed to be independent yet under the direct control of the executive was a stupid idea that couldn't survive long-term, and was basically a band-aid that was put in place to avoid the painful process of constitutional reform.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 20, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Gortarius posted:

Does the US keep sucking Israels dick because of some religious reasons? Like oh they are the chosen people in the holy land and when a temple there gets rebuild/destroyed Jesus will fly back to Earth and everyone will die and that is what we want!!

Or is it about money? Having a strong ally in the middle east? All of the above? None of the above?

All of the above but mostly those last two. If you're making a top five, you should also include guilt-tripping for not entering the war quickly enough to prevent the worst of the Holocaust, reinforced by neoconservative and later neoliberal interventionist ideology. Then I'd add a lobby on the Hill that's as powerful as you'd expect when backed by a nuclear-armed ethnostate who are, in no particular order: our friends, our customers, God's chosen, and the bulwark between Western civilization and the Mad Max dystopia we've turned the Middle East into.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

VitalSigns posted:

Plus they cynically spent 7 years attacking the most conservative parts of Obamacare because those were the most unpopular parts, while supporting the most liberal parts of Obamacare because people like them and promising people they can keep all that stuff but pay even less out of pocket.

But the only way they can deliver all those promises, yet still abolish the conservative stuff people hate like the mandate, and not instantly shove the insurance market into a death spiral, is by making the law wayyyyyyy more leftist.

It'd be pretty loving hilarious if there weren't the horrifying chance that they'll gently caress up and destroy the health care system by mistake or sabotage it out of spite.

The longer the GOP thrashes itself to death over this, the more I'm convinced that this situation was Obama's intention all along. It seems like he set up the the most conservative version of healthcare reform possible just so that the electorate could adjust to it and thus permanently shift the Overton so much that any backwards motions on healthcare become political suicide. Like, there were two realistic possibilities when ACA was passed:
1, most people like it and the GOP howler monkeys recognize this, avoid digging themselves into a rhetorical hole and ignore the healthcare issue mostly in order to set up long term right-wing viability via other core tenets, etc, and the healthcare ball begins rolling towards single-payer by sheer inertia over a decade or two;
2, GOP howler monkeys latch on and horribly misjudge the long-term picture, dig themselves into a rhetorical hole whereby they must repeal, yet the electorate had by and large come to rely on ACA; repealing is political suicide, not repealing is political suicide (for their base), reform rightwards is literally impossible, GOP nukes itself, healthcare reform continues inevitably towards single-payer anyway.
None of this would have been possible with straight single payer being passed and that would possibly have backfired for being too far too fast.
With reality conforming to option 2, Obama killed two birds with one stone, and potentially is getting revenge for the eight years worth of GOP hatred in a way the Clintons could only dream of. Plus, with his current work, he might actually be more politically powerful now than when he was President!
Of course, maybe I'm giving the man too much credit and assigning intention where there is none :shrug:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I stole this from the GIP thread:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/887882493948448773

It's from his NYT interview. His rambling sounds exactly like my Dad sounded right before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's scary how similar it is.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Kulkasha posted:

The longer the GOP thrashes itself to death over this, the more I'm convinced that this situation was Obama's intention all along. It seems like he set up the the most conservative version of healthcare reform possible just so that the electorate could adjust to it and thus permanently shift the Overton so much that any backwards motions on healthcare become political suicide. Like, there were two realistic possibilities when ACA was passed:
1, most people like it and the GOP howler monkeys recognize this, avoid digging themselves into a rhetorical hole and ignore the healthcare issue mostly in order to set up long term right-wing viability via other core tenets, etc, and the healthcare ball begins rolling towards single-payer by sheer inertia over a decade or two;
2, GOP howler monkeys latch on and horribly misjudge the long-term picture, dig themselves into a rhetorical hole whereby they must repeal, yet the electorate had by and large come to rely on ACA; repealing is political suicide, not repealing is political suicide (for their base), reform rightwards is literally impossible, GOP nukes itself, healthcare reform continues inevitably towards single-payer anyway.
None of this would have been possible with straight single payer being passed and that would possibly have backfired for being too far too fast.
With reality conforming to option 2, Obama killed two birds with one stone, and potentially is getting revenge for the eight years worth of GOP hatred in a way the Clintons could only dream of. Plus, with his current work, he might actually be more politically powerful now than when he was President!
Of course, maybe I'm giving the man too much credit and assigning intention where there is none :shrug:

I don't think Obama seriously entertained scenario 2 because he thought bipartisanship and patriotism was still a thing. He simply figured that government programs that help people are popular and difficult to unwind, and helped pass what he thought was good healthcare reform with the tools he had at his disposal, while still preserving the insurance business model, and hoping that inertia will keep it in place the same way Medicare has survived.

We kinda shouldn't overstate Obama's role in it either. Lots of Dems were tinkering with PPACA, for good and for ill. It just was easy for the GOP to hang it on Obama because beep boop black man president.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Gortarius posted:

Israel is a strategic pinion that both keeps the region destabilised enough for the West to hold great influence and works as a bogeyman/minion when necessary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The ACA was absolutely designed to be as hard as possible to undo but it is not conservative and never has been. It took the mandate, the thing borrowed from the heritage foundation, but added far, far more to it. There has never been a real conservative health care plan, merely bullshit to suggest there was one while opposing reform.

It is hard to repeal in large part because it is far far better than the left has given it credit for.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Edit: nm

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

One of the big underreported stories is that Medicaid expansion was one of the key cornerstones of PPACA and the people drafting it didn't fully consider the notion that a state would cynically turn down free money from the federal government for purely partisan reasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It's from his NYT interview. His rambling sounds exactly like my Dad sounded right before he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's scary how similar it is.

Sounds like a history lesson from Bannon, keeping Hitler and Napoleon in Trump's thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

lol. His one chance to praise Russia without lifting any eyebrows, and he gives 100% credit to the weather, because it happened before his best friend the pee-tape-haver came into power.

• Locked thread