Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

how is it any different to seeing an actor from something else that you recognise?

it's not?

guess it's not really that irrationally irritating or anything, to me anyways

i just didn't even notice the fella

now if the entire band of imagine dragons showed up as wildlings with beards i'd be all like

uh, hmm bunch of wildlings

but also dragons :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
arcade fire could be melisandre's secret service and i'd be like huh?

rob zombie, snow patrol and arctic monkeys could show up and be in the night's king's vanguard and i would not notice

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Mastadon literally already did show up and no one knew.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Eddard Sheeranson the great minstrel prince of the newly discovered sky peoples.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait a sec, was Bugs Bunny playing Tyrion last season too?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Mastadon literally already did show up and no one knew.

Helps that Brent Hinds looks like a wildling anyway.

Farrrr better cameo. Not in your face.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

muscles like this! posted:

Something that kind of bugs me about the new Planet of the Apes movies is how it seems really random which apes can talk and which can't.

They all have the potential to talk, if they care enough to learn. Like humans, they have to be taught how to speak human languages, or watch and listen enough to learn on their own. Like how Bad Ape doesn't know sign language at all, but learned how to speak English by listening to humans at the zoo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like Ed Sheeran's the first musician who's appeared on GoT; Wilko Johnson was the bald executioner with no tongue in a previous season.

(No other Dr Feelgood fans?)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why the gently caress was there any goddamn hint that Ed Sheeran was going to be in Game of Thrones? Did anyone seriously need to know before the episode aired, because it was pretty weird and would have been a lot better if no one said poo poo, because going in and realizing the ginger gently caress would be there was one of those "wait, oh no that's him there gently caress" moments that takes you right out of the show.

I had no prior knowledge it was going to happen and I thought I was having a stroke or something lol.

they're all bad though right? I mean they were shifty as fuuuuuuuck, I was expecting something bad to happen but that's just Game of thrones for you

extra spoiler Holy motherfucking shitballs whitewalker giant I mean holy shitsnacks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not like Ed Sheeran's the first musician who's appeared on GoT; Wilko Johnson was the bald executioner with no tongue in a previous season.

(No other Dr Feelgood fans?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5V8ecsrxeY

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Sigur Ros, the drummer from Coldplay and the lead dude from Snow Patrol have also been in GoT

I do enjoy how every time some marginally mainstream artist gets talked about there's always the goons falling all over themselves to let you know how mediocre they think they are. No other content to the post just "well I don't think they're all that great :smug:"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Sigur Ros, the drummer from Coldplay and the lead dude from Snow Patrol have also been in GoT

I do enjoy how every time some marginally mainstream artist gets talked about there's always the goons falling all over themselves to let you know how mediocre they think they are. No other content to the post just "well I don't think they're all that great :smug:"

:ohdear:

I actually like Snow Patrol and love Sigur Ros and had no idea

I usually watch the show out of the corner of my eye while doing something else but then I have no idea who those people look like either.

The guy who played Hodor (Kristian Nairn) is a DJ though, I knew that much at least.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

:ohdear:

I actually like Snow Patrol and love Sigur Ros and had no idea

I usually watch the show out of the corner of my eye while doing something else but then I have no idea who those people look like either.

The guy who played Hodor (Kristian Nairn) is a DJ though, I knew that much at least.

Sigur Ros is hard to miss, they were the band at Jofferys wedding. I think I read somewhere they wrote the song they played too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsS-Akv7gg

The Snow Patrol one is more forgivable, it was pretty quick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-uy5LCiNBt4

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The bad thing about the Ed Sheeran cameo was his singing directly into the camera with his mug right in your face, there was no subtlety to it.

They had Mastodon as some wildlings and no one knew, they had the singer from Snow Patrol do a song in an earlier season but they didn't focus the camera on him so he fit into the world.

With Ed Sheeran it was like they stepped out of Game of Thrones and went into a fan fiction mashup.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My IIMM in GoT is that I've only seen like almost 2 episodes, and I'm just wondering why they only have one giant guy.

I saw the one where the zombies and elsa darth maul attacked people and he just started smashing people, but I dunno why no one gave the dude a giant sword because it just seems kinda obvious if you think about it. You think you are gonna be fighting a giant horde of poo poo, you wanna be able to gently caress up as much as you can.

Also, I dunno why there's only one giant dude. Seems like there'd be more than one wandering around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Watermelon posted:

With Ed Sheeran it was like they stepped out of Game of Thrones and went into a fan fiction mashup.

I have not seen the episode but the author of a review I've read said that they were half expecting him to say, "Available now on iTunes!" after he finished singing. :D

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Push El Burrito posted:

Eddard Sheeranson the great minstrel prince of the newly discovered sky peoples.

Next episode the Hound learns of a menace to the countryside, a barbarian who calls himself Hogan the Hulk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My IIMM in GoT is that I've only seen like almost 2 episodes, and I'm just wondering why they only have one giant guy.

I saw the one where the zombies and elsa darth maul attacked people and he just started smashing people, but I dunno why no one gave the dude a giant sword because it just seems kinda obvious if you think about it. You think you are gonna be fighting a giant horde of poo poo, you wanna be able to gently caress up as much as you can.

Also, I dunno why there's only one giant dude. Seems like there'd be more than one wandering around.

I guess if you watched more you'd know they're basically going extinct. Not a lot of giants left.

Also, they don't practice metallurgy themselves, so just think how hard it would be for regular folk to smith a sword his size. I'm pretty sure at several points he uses a big club (i.e., tree trunk) and at that size, I imagine it's basically just as effective as a big sword would be.

And in an earlier episode, we do see a few more giants and they use giant bows to launch what are essentially ballista arrows, so there's that, I guess?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

syscall girl posted:

He was doing a series of DJ nights in UK/RoI at least called "Rave Of Thrones" so he's milking it for all it's worth, and fair play.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess if you watched more you'd know they're basically going extinct. Not a lot of giants left.

Also, they don't practice metallurgy themselves, so just think how hard it would be for regular folk to smith a sword his size. I'm pretty sure at several points he uses a big club (i.e., tree trunk) and at that size, I imagine it's basically just as effective as a big sword would be.

And in an earlier episode, we do see a few more giants and they use giant bows to launch what are essentially ballista arrows, so there's that, I guess?

Ah, that explains it.

Wouldn't need to be a "real" smith made sword though, just imagine a big sharp Guts Berserk style sword and he'd be wiping out entire battalions of poo poo.

Kinda sad that they are going extinct, but hell, the entire series from what I understand is basically depressing as hell.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He was doing a series of DJ nights in UK/RoI at least called "Rave Of Thrones" so he's milking it for all it's worth, and fair play.

He earned every penny for letting them glue the Hodong to his crotch.

Bet a lot of club kids want to solve that mystery too.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RareAcumen posted:

Wait a sec, was Bugs Bunny playing Tyrion last season too?

No, that was Lola Bunny playing Margaery.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

syscall girl posted:

He earned every penny for letting them glue the Hodong to his crotch.

Bet a lot of club kids want to solve that mystery too.

He's gay as all hell too, which is neat. I don't know why his sexuality is more interesting than anyone else's, but Gay Hodor just tickles me (so to speak)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

WeAreTheRomans posted:

He's gay as all hell too, which is neat. I don't know why his sexuality is more interesting than anyone else's, but Gay Hodor just tickles me (so to speak)

I get it, I've got a buddy who's 6'6" and looks exactly like Hagrid who's gayer than a double rainbow and his gayness is extra interesting because it's coming from a dude that looks like he could uproot a tree. Kristian Nairn is that same feeling for me.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheKennedys posted:

I get it, I've got a buddy who's 6'6" and looks exactly like Hagrid who's gayer than a double rainbow and his gayness is extra interesting because it's coming from a dude that looks like he could uproot a tree. Kristian Nairn is that same feeling for me.

Maybe you should check out a local bear night.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was on the sesh a few years ago and met Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) outside SuperMacs at about 2 in the morning. Didn't want to tell him I loved him in GoT like everyone else so I told him I liked him in Batman Begins as I was leaving.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I was on the sesh a few years ago and met Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) outside SuperMacs at about 2 in the morning. Didn't want to tell him I loved him in GoT like everyone else so I told him I liked him in Batman Begins as I was leaving.

I heard a story about somebody running into Patrick Stewart and saying they loved him in Macbeth, and he lost his poo poo with joy and wouldn't stop talking to them. He was just so happy not to have them mention X-Men or Star Trek.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

I heard a story about somebody running into Patrick Stewart and saying they loved him in Macbeth, and he lost his poo poo with joy and wouldn't stop talking to them. He was just so happy not to have them mention X-Men or Star Trek.

On one hand, I get it, it must be tiring to have people quote movie and show lines to you from 20 years ago. But loving Christ, Patrick Stewart didn't become a household name from Macbeth. It's like when Harrison Ford gets pissed when people ask him about Han Solo or Indy Jones. Dude, you are that character, you will always be (until a reboot). It's not like you're well known for being a chomo or being a thief, it's something you should be glad people like.

I remember reading that the dude that played Q (who was also a minor role in Breaking Bad and does voice work for cartoons) is pretty chill, and he never knows what people will bring up when they meet him, because he's done so much different stuff.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

On one hand, I get it, it must be tiring to have people quote movie and show lines to you from 20 years ago. But loving Christ, Patrick Stewart didn't become a household name from Macbeth. It's like when Harrison Ford gets pissed when people ask him about Han Solo or Indy Jones. Dude, you are that character, you will always be (until a reboot). It's not like you're well known for being a chomo or being a thief, it's something you should be glad people like.

I remember reading that the dude that played Q (who was also a minor role in Breaking Bad and does voice work for cartoons) is pretty chill, and he never knows what people will bring up when they meet him, because he's done so much different stuff.

Sir Patrick had a really funny anecdote about a hotel stay.

He'd just started unpacking and flipped on the tv and it was tuned to TNG (which he never watched and had really no idea about the plotlines or anything but his own role) and a maid came in to see if he needed anything and he was sitting there, with himself on the telly and feeling like a doofus trying to sputter out that he doesn't watch that poo poo and isn't a total egomaniac or anything.

The awkwardness of that i hilarious :allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If I ever met him I would compliment him on being Gurney Halleck from David Lynch's Dune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsSgxpX8rY

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Patrick Stewart will always be the villain in Die Hard Jr Masterminds to me :classiclol:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I ever meet Patrick Stewart I will tell him I loved him in the sexy space vampire film LIFEFORCE.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of Maggie Smith's feeling on Downton Abbey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrMVf8HJ44

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thaddius the Large posted:

Patrick Stewart will always be the villain in Die Hard Jr Masterminds to me :classiclol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH0oK1aZES4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I ever meet Patrick Stewart I will tell him I loved him in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, alongside Sir Ian McKellen.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
If I ever meet Patrick Stewart I'll use my mental powers to take his clothes off. He'll try to cover up, but it will be too late, I've already seen everything.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

If I ever meet Patrick Stewart I'll use my mental powers to take his clothes off. He'll try to cover up, but it will be too late, I've already seen everything.
That is truly his greatest role. :v:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Stewart has often said he was grateful to star trek for boosting his career and I don't think he ever expressed resentment toward it, but it was probably nice to be complimented on a project he did out of passion.
His Macbeth was really good imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall hearing about Patrick Stewart playing Othello, with an (otherwise) all-black cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I think Stewart disowning or not knowing much about Star Trek is very overblown. He did direct quite a few episodes and has remembered quite specific episodes in interviews before.