Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Fairly sure that’s a limitation of the protocol phone use to connect to Exchange (EAS) so no app will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm finally giving the 1Password subscription a try (from the standalone app) and am using the trial right now. It's pretty great having access to everything in the browser, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat concerned with the security of the webapp. As I understand it, there's another password manager that uses the browser (keepas? lastpass? whichever one that Tavis guy is always wrecking) and it seems to get breached every other week or so. Has there been any screwups with 1Password's browser implementation?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm finally giving the 1Password subscription a try (from the standalone app) and am using the trial right now. It's pretty great having access to everything in the browser, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat concerned with the security of the webapp. As I understand it, there's another password manager that uses the browser (keepas? lastpass? whichever one that Tavis guy is always wrecking) and it seems to get breached every other week or so. Has there been any screwups with 1Password's browser implementation?

Nobody has popped 1Password's subscription model yet, but I'm also not sure anyone talented has tried.

LastPass's recent main weaknesses have been in their browser extension leaking data. 1Password subscription and non-sub both use the same browser extension, and to my knowledge it was evaluated and found to have few, if any issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about their security. Agilebits is one of the few companies that offer fair, lucrative bug bounties, and they are super active with software development. From a security angle, it's hard to prove they aren't doing everything possible to stay secure.

However, if you're paranoid like me and believe that within a year they'll be removing external sync from all their software and replacing it with their subscription model, the only decent-looking Keepass app on iOS dropped to $1.99 earlier today. I went ahead and bought it as cheap insurance for 1Pass going subscriber only.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Does Outlook still not support Tasks?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bobfather posted:

Nobody has popped 1Password's subscription model yet, but I'm also not sure anyone talented has tried.

LastPass's recent main weaknesses have been in their browser extension leaking data. 1Password subscription and non-sub both use the same browser extension, and to my knowledge it was evaluated and found to have few, if any issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about their security. Agilebits is one of the few companies that offer fair, lucrative bug bounties, and they are super active with software development. From a security angle, it's hard to prove they aren't doing everything possible to stay secure.

However, if you're paranoid like me and believe that within a year they'll be removing external sync from all their software and replacing it with their subscription model, the only decent-looking Keepass app on iOS dropped to $1.99 earlier today. I went ahead and bought it as cheap insurance for 1Pass going subscriber only.

Kypass is decent and I'm only slightly annoyed it's a lot cheaper now than a month ago or so when I bought it

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

duckfarts posted:

Kypass is decent and I'm only slightly annoyed it's a lot cheaper now than a month ago or so when I bought it

Appshopper my man. Only reward those devs when they deeply discount their apps!

Edit: Kypass hasn't been priced this low since August of 2014.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
This might seem like a basic request but I've always used a paper diary or just the regular iOS calendar. My wife and I both are on iPhones and want a calendar that will share with each other so we don't keep forgetting events the other has organised. I'm happy to pay if that's needed but can't really be bothered with a subscription service. I'm not really sure what features to want or expect but basically just a calendar we can pop into at any point and see what the other has signed us up to. Bonus for notifications though I'm not sure if this is necessary.

A google has shown about nine million options and is confusing :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can just share a google calendar with your wife and both of you can add it to your iOS calendar app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think you can do that with an iCloud calendar too.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2690?locale=en_US

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sharing iCloud calendars does work well, except for the part when she enters her shifts and my iphone keeps telling me how long it takes to get to my wife's place of employment at those times. :downs:

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

bobfather posted:

I've been using MiniKeePass for years now because it's not bad and also free.. however with this new price...

MiniKeePass vs KyPass go

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
They both look like poo poo visually.

e: The group icons in mini keypass look really silly and out of place, and it looks like kypass uses the same exact icons. The red top banner in kypass is terrible though and the font they use for the titles are atrocious. So I'd probably go with mini keepass.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 20, 2017

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Functionally I know MiniKeePass doesn't have Dropbox built in but it takes virtually no time to load it from the Dropbox app. 🤷🏻‍♂️

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Kailtor posted:

I've been using MiniKeePass for years now because it's not bad and also free.. however with this new price...

MiniKeePass vs KyPass go

One has autosync with Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, the other doesn't. Mic drop.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Can you say which one that is

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I snagged KyPass just as a 1Password backup in case they ever fully betray me. Thanks for the heads up.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

GoldfishStew posted:

Can you say which one that is

KyPass has it, but honestly it's approx 3 clicks to get it into MiniKeePass for $1.99 less

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I'm still confused (because of the similar sounding names) on which is the most secure one. I down loaded both but would really love and appreciate a detailed difference between them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kailtor posted:

KyPass has it, but honestly it's approx 3 clicks to get it into MiniKeePass for $1.99 less
Agreed. $1.99 is totally not worth it for something you probably use all the time that will also save you time. Just way too much money.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

GoldfishStew posted:

I'm still confused (because of the similar sounding names) on which is the most secure one. I down loaded both but would really love and appreciate a detailed difference between them.

Mini Keepass is open source so one could audit it for security. Kypass is not, so in theory it could do malicious things now or after a future update. Nobody has proven that to be the case though. If security is your biggest concern, stick with Mini.

I know Kypass has auto cloud sync and support for one-time-passwords. I'm not sure if Mini can do OTP. Does anyone know?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, minikeepass is pretty bare bones. Which isn't bad, some people like it that way.

Someone wrote a patch to try and add OTP but it never got merged.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Thanks, I know it seems small but I really appreciate taking the time to clear that up!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

No, minikeepass is pretty bare bones. Which isn't bad, some people like it that way.

Someone wrote a patch to try and add OTP but it never got merged.

Seals it for me. Glad I bought Kypass for $1.99. A lot of sites use OTP today.

I'm thinking a Keepass client for iOS with a nice looking interface, cloud sync with Dropbox and OTP support would kill priced at $1.99. Even better if the author made the source public for auditing. Any iOS programmers want to take up that challenge?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

teacup posted:

This might seem like a basic request but I've always used a paper diary or just the regular iOS calendar. My wife and I both are on iPhones and want a calendar that will share with each other so we don't keep forgetting events the other has organised. I'm happy to pay if that's needed but can't really be bothered with a subscription service. I'm not really sure what features to want or expect but basically just a calendar we can pop into at any point and see what the other has signed us up to. Bonus for notifications though I'm not sure if this is necessary.

A google has shown about nine million options and is confusing :(

I have found using multiple Google Calendars and sharing them to work the best.
We do not use the Apple Calendar app because while it can sync to Google Calendar we found it handled multiples poorly.

I have a calendar, my wife has a calendar, and we have a shared calendar.

I have found the stupidly named CCal by Calystwo to have the best Month interface. $10
-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today
-print the title of events in Month view
-multi-day events render across days nicely

I think my wife uses BusyCal. $5

The other advantage to Google Calendar is it works easily in the browser.
I use Fluid App on the Mac to create a "app" with the webpage in it that I can have in my dock and always open.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
teacup, for info if you use the built in (iCloud) calendar, just create a calendar, then in the app tap Calendars at the bottom, then the (i) next to the calendar to share, then tap Add Person and enter their contact name/email. Once they accept, boom you’re done. Obviously it supports notifications (both for the event, and when someone adds an event).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also note (as I've mentioned a couple of times before) that MiniKeyPass doesn't support Google Drive, if that's where you store your password DB.

You can get it to work but it's really hacky and the dev doesn't seem interested in fixing the issue.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

OK but since we are on the subject, where is the best place to store passwords? Direct on device? I guess I am asking what is the best, most secure set up with which app?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bobfather posted:

Mini Keepass is open source so one could audit it for security. Kypass is not, so in theory it could do malicious things now or after a future update. Nobody has proven that to be the case though. If security is your biggest concern, stick with Mini.

I know Kypass has auto cloud sync and support for one-time-passwords. I'm not sure if Mini can do OTP. Does anyone know?

Mini Keepass is fine for viewing information in a usually static file

Kypass is good for viewing a cloud-hosted file and if you want to make changes to the file and have them sync back. It also supports WebDAV, so you can use it with an Owncloud installation or another DIY cloud drive if you want

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I asked this in W&W but wondering if I might get a better response here given the thread title:

Kobayashi posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for a HealthKit-enabled scale. Do they make scales that, after some initial setup, will just automagically enter weight values into HealthKit? Everything I've seen seems to indicate that you have to open some kind of scale app first. If I'm going to do that I might as well continue to enter weight values manually. I'm only interested in some whiz-bang smart scale if I can set it up once, put my phone in my pocket, then weight myself and know that my weight was recorded in my phone. Does such a thing exist?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it doesn't exist, that's a pretty good idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't run any weight tracking apps, but in my experience any data gathered by a biometric app magically appears in healthkit

Like I have a bluetooth chest strap HRM+footpod cadence tracker. I never explicitly told the HRM to talk with healthkit, but all my steps and heart rate data show up there. If you dig into the app and find the 'sources' page for the metric you're interested in you can check to see what's updating that category. In my case, it shows a bluetooth device as a data source.

Not sure if this behavior is something the app associated with my HRM configured or Apple made some magic in the OS that can identify biometric collecting hardware, but maybe you'll find the info useful.

My intuition is there's no way to not run an app, but at least maybe once you do get an app that works it will end up being painless.

All my stuff uses the ANT+ standard, so maybe look into that for scales. thisisant.com show 10 scales that support the protocol.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

I asked this in W&W but wondering if I might get a better response here given the thread title:

To my knowledge, nothing connects directly to HealthKit, but I'm also fairly certain by design. I've got a Whithings (now Nokia) one and it does it automatically once you install the app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have some cheapo chinese one and yeah you have to open the app either before or after you step on the scale. It's certainly still easier than manually entering.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

To my knowledge, nothing connects directly to HealthKit, but I'm also fairly certain by design. I've got a Whithings (now Nokia) one and it does it automatically once you install the app.

I have the Whitings Body and It Works perfectly with HomeKit. You do need their app but once you set up the scale with it you can share that data with HomeKit and never open their app again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have the Whitings Body and It Works perfectly with HomeKit. You do need their app but once you set up the scale with it you can share that data with HomeKit and never open their app again.

Yeah, I was going to mention the same thing. Check to see if the apps of whatever are HealthKit enabled and data into those will be migrated into HealthKit.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ahh perfect. I don't mind downloading an app if I never have to use it a la a one-time setup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Double checking and looks like the latest update to the withings app hosed a lot of things up. :rip: Nokia fucks something up yet again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kobayashi posted:

Ahh perfect. I don't mind downloading an app if I never have to use it a la a one-time setup.

I'd check on it. I'm pretty sure you have to leave a lot of them open in the background so they can pull the data into the phone and then push the data over,

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Say, did ProTube poo poo itself for you all today? Looks like Google changed their API or something and ProTube can't show playlists or subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Same, unfortunately.