Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Tormund and Brienne might be the best part of the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm rooting for those crazy two kids, I think they got a shot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It will turn out to be just as important as when Tywin told Cersei that the Lannisters are broke
Or that the Iron Bank is owed a shitload of money from King's Landing
Or any other plot point that has been unceremoniously dropped

the writers are bad

Tycho is in several episodes this season.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Lycus posted:

Please don't sully the name of my favorite ambient music project...

edit: Totally forgot that fucker actually existed. Good job, show.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 20, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lycus posted:

Iron Bank on the Iron Throne. I can dig it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope Tycho has his sick hat from the book

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Tycho will save the day.

Just when the Night's King is about to win Tycho will show up and inform the Night's King that should he kill everyone he would inherit the collective colossal debt of Westeros. The Night's King flees

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

tormund and euron are the only people having fun, everyone else is dour as hell

bronn would be having fun too if he were allowed to be on set

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Season 8 will be a domestic sitcom with Bronn and Lollys

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Once we get NCW away from Lena Headey, we'll get more Bronn.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

mastershakeman posted:

tormund and euron are the only people having fun, everyone else is dour as hell

bronn would be having fun too if he were allowed to be on set

Whoa he's still alive? Where is he?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I barely remember at all, but in any of the battle scenes have they ever had any kind of formation or phalanx or anything. Or was it just "run wildly at the other guys like cavemen". I don't remember seeing any suits of armor in the BoB either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is that kid with the bull helmet going to come back and wield a big loving hammer like his dad, or did that just get forgotten as a plot?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JBP posted:

Is that kid with the bull helmet going to come back and wield a big loving hammer like his dad, or did that just get forgotten as a plot?

According to new leaks I saw today, yes he is, hammer included

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bobby Digital posted:

According to new leaks I saw today, yes he is, hammer included

Haha very predictable, but that's cool I like that kid. Hammer on burly teen dude.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Season 8 will be a domestic sitcom with Bronn and Lollys
10/10 would watch

On which episode do you think Tormund will finally lay with Brienne? I say 2nd to last ep of this season

Kromlech fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 20, 2017

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wizgot posted:

I had no idea who Ed was and only found out about him in this thread. He did a good job IMO.

Yeah, I dunno why this was such a thing at all. I didn't know there was a cameo at all going in -- I thought he looked vaguely familiar, but you know, actors, and he did a decent enough job that I wouldn't have suspected he wasn't some D-list actor trying to get work.

I also dunno why people are calling that segment "rapey." They were obviously interested in Arya, but they were decent guys, they were just earnestly trying to make her like them and feel at home, not even crudely hitting on her with The Implication that a bunch of armed soldiers could present to a girl all alone. It was actually really refreshing to see a bunch of soldiers who were just regular guys, who probably want to get laid but certainly aren't going to default to rapemurder like most of the soldiers we've seen. To be honest, when EVERY pack of soldiers is going to kill the innkeeper and rape his daughter to death or murder an entire peaceful farming village, it kinda makes it hard to believe that Westeros is a place that people could actually live in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I dunno why this was such a thing at all. I didn't know there was a cameo at all going in -- I thought he looked vaguely familiar, but you know, actors, and he did a decent enough job that I wouldn't have suspected he wasn't some D-list actor trying to get work.

I also dunno why people are calling that segment "rapey." They were obviously interested in Arya, but they were decent guys, they were just earnestly trying to make her like them and feel at home, not even crudely hitting on her with The Implication that a bunch of armed soldiers could present to a girl all alone. It was actually really refreshing to see a bunch of soldiers who were just regular guys, who probably want to get laid but certainly aren't going to default to rapemurder like most of the soldiers we've seen. To be honest, when EVERY pack of soldiers is going to kill the innkeeper and rape his daughter to death or murder an entire peaceful farming village, it kinda makes it hard to believe that Westeros is a place that people could actually live in.

I felt like you were meant to worry a little at the start of that scene, but as it progressed I relaxed because the dudes were just talking about wanting to be home with their families and were generally chill and happy to have some interesting company for camp.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

I barely remember at all, but in any of the battle scenes have they ever had any kind of formation or phalanx or anything. Or was it just "run wildly at the other guys like cavemen". I don't remember seeing any suits of armor in the BoB either.

Stannis' cavalry charge at Mance Rayder's 100k wildling army was regimented as gently caress

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Re Ed Sheeran cameo:

If you can live with Sarah Connor being the wife of the king, the mayor of Baltimore being, well, a fantasy middle ages version of the mayor of Baltimore and IRA terrorist Sean Miller (Patriot Games) being the honorable patriarch you should be able to not freak out about Ed Sheeran being a Lannister soldiers for one scene.

My guess is that the people freaking out are mostly nerds that think that his cameo is making THEIR fantasy show too mainstream - well newsflash nerds, the show went mainstream long, long ago and Ed Sheeran is the least of it's problems.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah, I personally just find musician or non acting celebrity cameos weird in shows that aren't comedies. Especially when the celebrity isn't even like an actor on the side.

The scene was good and he didn't ruin it for me, just took me out of it for a moment, when I saw his Ron Weasley af mug. I'm kind of loving the fallout online over it, who knew Ed Sheeran cameoing on GoT would insight heated arguments.

idk how anyone could consider Game of Thrones just a nerd thing in tyool 2017, let alone get pressed over it. The show is massively popular despite the genre, it's not some niche thing. Internet gonna internet, though.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
He sang a song, was asked about it and then turned to the camera and went "oh, it's a new song" and might as well have winked at the camera and had a scrolling crawl that said "new album out now". It's not a big deal but it was fairly douchey.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just really enjoyed the goon slapfight of "You're a loving idiot for not knowing who Ed Shireen is" vs. "You're a loving idiot for knowing who Ed Shireen is."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am not offended by Ed Sheeran.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I am Ed Sheeran.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WampaLord posted:

I just really enjoyed the goon slapfight of "You're a loving idiot for not knowing who Ed Shireen is" vs. "You're a loving idiot for knowing who Ed Shireen is."

e: and i enjoyed participating in it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In It For The Tank posted:

I am Ed Sheeran.

Hi, Ed!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
My friends call me Ned.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bulging Nipples posted:

He sang a song, was asked about it and then turned to the camera and went "oh, it's a new song" and might as well have winked at the camera and had a scrolling crawl that said "new album out now". It's not a big deal but it was fairly douchey.

It's a song from the books, not his new no. 1 single or whatever.

I think it was more of a tongue in cheek joke about how the show basically only had three or four in-world songs so far, so there, a new one. The song is actually fanservice towards book readers.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Remember the terrible Night's King CGI face at the end of Hardhome haha

The Others' design was so loving good at the very end of season 2, but it's been awful every other time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A race of crusty old men.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dave Angel posted:

Going to have to eat a bit of crow('s eye) for repeatedly bringing up longships now, been looking a bit more closely at the ships in the big fleet shot and they don't really look like longships. Googling around a bit on medieval ships, I think they look a lot like Caravels. They were used heavily by the Portuguese to sail around the world so a fitting parallel for what the Ironborn would need for their far-flung voyages. Crew numbers seem to be about 20, with mention of some smaller ones with as few as 9. 20,000 sailors might even make the Ironborn numbers needed sound reasonable.

[Edit] The ships still look super-fancy, though. I wonder if they held off on launching the fleet until they found enough cans of gold paint to bling them up.

You need 20 to sail them, but you need 2-3 times the number to sail them fast and well. And that's for sailing, not fighting. You need troops to fight too, even if your sailors do double duty and you expect every sea fight to boil down to a Roman style yardarm-to-yardarm melee instead of a running and manoeuvring battle. So the 80-150 man per ship are still the more realistic number. But then, building a thousand ships inside of a few weeks or months isn't quite realistic either - even if they had the wood. You don't want to use fresh wood to build a ship, the thing would sink inside of hours. The whole thing is ludicrous, even in a show with zombies and dragons. But any pretence of thoughts of logistics, maps or tactics went out of the window with season 3/4.

As much as we laugh about GRRM and his stupid wheel-spinning poo poo, but as soon as they run out of books stuff to hold on to, and had to rely on their own storytelling qualities alone the show took a deep, deep nosedive into stupidity, flat one-dimensional characters, plot holes, stupid contrivances and over-reliance on CGI gore and tiddies (probably not CGI).

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 20, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong with this.

http://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confederate/

‘Game of Thrones’ Showrunners Reveal Next HBO Project: ‘Confederate’

Series takes place in an alternate reality where slavery has continued into the modern era

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

Benioff and Weiss said they’d been playing around with the idea for years

okay

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drunken officeparty posted:

The end of the Battle of the Bastards ends with the Boltons forming a phalanx and slowly closing in on Jon's army.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Surely it makes complete sense that the shitrock people became the preeminent naval power in the first place.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Nothing about the iroman makes any sense, book or show

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Wyk is not so small and has forests, the ironborn basically existed as pirates for thousands of years very rarely extending their influence beyond their own home islands and the western shore of westeros, their boats are actually quite lovely they just have a lot of them and a whole bunch of braindamaged fuckers who are willing to jump into someone elses ship and start fighting.

They don't have the resources to build a thousand ships because pretty much no one does, that's just a lovely show convenience. In the books it takes Cersei a while to build 3 ships when she tries to rebuild the spent royal fleet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong with this.

http://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confederate/

‘Game of Thrones’ Showrunners Reveal Next HBO Project: ‘Confederate’

Series takes place in an alternate reality where slavery has continued into the modern era

*looks at the state of the proletariat in the US*

Alternate reality? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lycus posted:

Surely it makes complete sense that the shitrock people became the preeminent naval power in the first place.

You are aware that they can import wood? The Iron Isles provide great natural harbors and their inhabitants don't have many other opportunities to provide for themselves, so it makes some sense. Additionally, at least in the books, it's made very clear that their navy is not as dominant as portrayed on the show and that they mainly benefit from the fact that Stannis (Royal Fleet) and the Lannisters/Reach (Arbor Fleet) are at war with each other.

• Locked thread