Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blind Pineapple posted:

By most measurements, KAT was considerably better than Paul George last year, as was Jimmy Butler.

Not disputing that Jimmy was better than PG but I feel like Jimmy isn't that good at offense. He's too inconsistent and takes a lot of really bad shots. Maybe that's just cus he was in the Hoiberg system with a ton of poo poo around him this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wiggins & Wolves working on a 5/148m Extension
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722742-andrew-wiggins-timberwolves-negotiating-5-year-contract-extension

I maybe would have rather played out this year and see how everything looks but he'd probably end up getting that money anyway so it's fine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

Not disputing that Jimmy was better than PG but I feel like Jimmy isn't that good at offense. He's too inconsistent and takes a lot of really bad shots. Maybe that's just cus he was in the Hoiberg system with a ton of poo poo around him this year.

He's only slightly behind George in TS% in this high-usage player list from last season. They also have similar minutes but Butler has 166 more assists which indicates he's more of a playmaker for his team, as well. And even with that increased load for Jimmy, he has 60 fewer turnovers. I think Butler is a better offensive player than George.

http://bkref.com/tiny/B9xj4

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

He's only slightly behind George in TS% in this high-usage player list from last season. They also have similar minutes but Butler has 166 more assists which indicates he's more of a playmaker for his team, as well. And even with that increased load for Jimmy, he has 60 fewer turnovers. I think Butler is a better offensive player than George.

http://bkref.com/tiny/B9xj4

You ignored the first sentence of my post

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I posted this in the GM thread, but I am kinda confused as to the backlash against Paul George. I am not responding to anyone in particular in this thread, but for people who think PG is overrated:

PG had a 28+% usage on 58%+ TS% while playing solid defense. He shot almost 40% from 3pt on over 6 per game and shot almost 90% from the line. The Pacers won 42 games with him, and without him I would guess they would be under 30. Are people who don't like him just looking at Winshare or something? Because it's penalizing him for being on a bad defensive team but I don't think that's his fault. if he had an actual rim protector his WS/48 probably would have been approaching .200.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lockback posted:

Wiggins & Wolves working on a 5/148m Extension
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722742-andrew-wiggins-timberwolves-negotiating-5-year-contract-extension

I maybe would have rather played out this year and see how everything looks but he'd probably end up getting that money anyway so it's fine.

Is it just me or does that seem to be a lot for him? I didn't get a chance to watch the Wolves much last year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He's still a flawed player but he's scoring 23.6 a game pretty efficiently at 21 years old and has the capacity to improve on both ends

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/888033983786778627

What's a Damien Wilkins?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Is it just me or does that seem to be a lot for him? I didn't get a chance to watch the Wolves much last year.

He can create his own offense really well, especially for a player that young. He's been pretty durable and he has every physical tool you can want. If the Wolves didn't offer a mini-max a whole bunch of other teams would have, so I am not too worried about the amount.

I am not 100% sure what he will look like in the new-look Wolves offense, but he has lots of value coming off his rookie contract.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

You ignored the first sentence of my post

It seemed like in your first post like you were ok with Butler being better overall but not as good on offense as George. Regardless, Butler is still real good at offense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

I posted this in the GM thread, but I am kinda confused as to the backlash against Paul George. I am not responding to anyone in particular in this thread, but for people who think PG is overrated:

PG had a 28+% usage on 58%+ TS% while playing solid defense. He shot almost 40% from 3pt on over 6 per game and shot almost 90% from the line. The Pacers won 42 games with him, and without him I would guess they would be under 30. Are people who don't like him just looking at Winshare or something? Because it's penalizing him for being on a bad defensive team but I don't think that's his fault. if he had an actual rim protector his WS/48 probably would have been approaching .200.

He's still a top player. The only thing that really worries me about his offense is his high turnover rate. Especially for someone who doesn't pass much.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's the correlation with reducing usage and turnovers, because it seems like being the #2 guy would reduce that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Like Lockback said, he is fantastic at offense. His problem is being one of the worst defenders in the league even in his third season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

What's the correlation with reducing usage and turnovers, because it seems like being the #2 guy would reduce that.

I dunno, but here is that same list of high usage players but sorted by TOV%. Guys who are lead playmakers/passers tend to have higher TOV%. If you don't do that much playmaking and only score but are high on this list, it's not good.

http://bkref.com/tiny/Pze56

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Another member of the Wilkins family that is not Dominique

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Like Lockback said, he is fantastic at offense. His problem is being one of the worst defenders in the league even in his third season.

I am not sure if he really is the worst defender or just plays lots of minutes on a bad defensive team. He is definitely a minus defender. But to be fair to him, he's had 3 head coaches in 3 years and each one has had a different defensive scheme, including a radically different one last year with Thibs. This should be a good year to judge if he can really improve because he hasn't had a great opportunity to do that.

Eye-test, he looked better as the year went on last year and the Wolves won more games.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I was rooting for the Bulls but this is close

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/888056394548736004

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Meyers Leonard is putting in the work yall

https://twitter.com/MeyersLeonard11/status/887899595606433792

Imagine falling for a Meyers Leonard pump fake, lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yessssssss

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Do it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not really a bad fit. The system is already built for a scoring point and he can contribute more in limited minutes than their current backup guards.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What if Derrick Rose was healthy this whole time but pretending to not be back?????

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

What if Derrick Rose was healthy this whole time but pretending to not be back?????

the long back con

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

a 37 year old motherfucker who was a key part of one of the most awful years of Sixers basketball when Doug Collins was trying to set NBA basketball back 20 years

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Finally the Cavs get off their asses and match GSW with their second MVP. Make the deal, it can't possibly go wrong.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I think that's a no-brainer for the Cavs. LeBron's openly chafed at having to be the backup point guard, and the FO has responded by adding tiny lil Kay Felder, busted rear end Deron Williams, and roasted rear end Jose Calderon to this point. Rose can still excel at sprinting past reserve guards in limited minutes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Stevie Lee posted:

a 37 year old motherfucker who was a key part of one of the most awful years of Sixers basketball when Doug Collins was trying to set NBA basketball back 20 years

The Hornets kept signing him to training camp and D-League deals over the last few years so I assume he has kompromat on Chad Buchanan

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I think that's a no-brainer for the Cavs. LeBron's openly chafed at having to be the backup point guard, and the FO has responded by adding tiny lil Kay Felder, busted rear end Deron Williams, and roasted rear end Jose Calderon to this point. Rose can still excel at sprinting past reserve guards in limited minutes.

does he still have juice left in the tank?

I remember Rose being very good a few years a go, then he seemed to become injury plagued.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

just want to brag that i was the only one who guessed Rose to the Cavs on the FA game

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

leftist heap posted:

Meyers Leonard is putting in the work yall

Imagine falling for a Meyers Leonard pump fake, lol

The best was the Blazers retweeting it and then the amount of people who couldn't see it due to being blocked. I really think Meyers' wife searches his name and starts blocking people (it would happen mid-game). I don't think I ever @'d him but it doesn't look like it matters.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

morestuff posted:

The Hornets kept signing him to training camp and D-League deals over the last few years so I assume he has kompromat on Chad Buchanan

Yeah I just don't understand this signing. I'm assuming for locker room reasons? I just don't get why they don't pursue an actual good veteran wing like Tony Allen if they want a good locker room presence.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I remember Rose being very good a few years a go, then he seemed to become injury plagued.

His backometry reading last year was inconsistent

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Edit: oh gently caress me

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm ready to have not one but two injury prone point guards on the dumb team I like.

They already have 3 pgs on the roster though. Hopefully they can keep my adorable son Kay :ohdear:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah I just don't understand this signing. I'm assuming for locker room reasons? I just don't get why they don't pursue an actual good veteran wing like Tony Allen if they want a good locker room presence.

I mean he's the 15th man, but you'd like that to be a very specific role or young guy. He'll probably just get cut when Sumner or Ike come up.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hes a fella trying to play on every single team in the NBA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

He was decent in New York. If his role is "Backup guard, carry a significant offense load with mediocre efficiency to manage how much of a lead we give up with Lebron out" I think he would be fine. I think a 2nd unit featuring him and Kevin Love would be pretty decent.

FuzzySkinner posted:

lol, I remember something about the Titanic having a leak?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kevinlove/status/887885503701188608

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/888026738818789380

I'd rather bring Rush back and this other bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brandon Rush was really bad last year. I don't know if it was fit or he is cooked, but he was really bad.

• Locked thread