Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
If I grab a rift from Best buy and it gives me nasty motion sickness I can return it no problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ammanas posted:

If I grab a rift from Best buy and it gives me nasty motion sickness I can return it no problem?

You should be able to.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You should be more worried about particular games giving you motion sickness rather than the rift itself. So make sure to buy all your games on Steam if you can, because the oculus store doesn't do refunds.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oculus users seriously have to put up with all that poo poo just to use SteamVR? WTG facebook.

VR still has one foot firmly in the "fiddle with it" stage. Earlier in the year SteamVR was pretty bad and Oculus was jacking with their multi-camera tracking stuff but they have both improved quite a bit.
I discovered and used all of the tools above in one form or another with my Rift, but mostly these days I do t have to gently caress with poo poo ever. For a new Rift owner looking to maximize their roomscale setup I would recommend a good portion of that process because the you wouldn't really ever have to touch it again.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Or, you can just jump in and start ripping robots apart.

Dead and Buried: I was slightly embarrassed to find that the mic is open by default in the dueling mode. Surprisingly fun for such a simple game mode though.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Does anybody have any experience with KATVR http://katvr.com/index.html ?

It looks a lot better than the omni, since you can actually move your arms. I'm pretty sure I want to cancel my pre-order [that I made in like, 2014 at CES...] and buy this thing instead.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Does anybody have any experience with KATVR http://katvr.com/index.html ?

It looks a lot better than the omni, since you can actually move your arms. I'm pretty sure I want to cancel my pre-order [that I made in like, 2014 at CES...] and buy this thing instead.

I mean.... personally all those slider treadmill things look like complicated expensive huge snake oil to me. The idea seems appealing in theory but... basically nothing will ever support it natively so it will always basically be a WASD mapped emulator that you have to slide around to use. I don't know, yeah it looks better than the omni, but that seems like saying a cold is better than the flu. Just using a thumbstick/trackpad seems so much easier, and half the time if I'm playing a shooty game I'll be dodging to the side, laying on the ground, sitting behind cover, peaking around things, all that looks annoying if not impossible to do while trapped in a slippery bowl.

EDIT:
VVVVVV-- If you really don't want to bother with a permanent wall mount or something, you could always pick up a couple light stands, but yeah, anything higher than just sitting on your desk is gong to be better, especially in a game where you're going to spend a lot of time prone or lying down.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 20, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having a lot of tracking issues with Onward and the ProTube but it might be because I bought a full height chair for my desk and I need finally to wall mount my cameras? Bleh. It helps a lot with aiming, I just get it tangled in my cable a lot. Great matches with saq though, being trapped in a 2nd floor taking sniper fire is an absolutely exhilarating experience.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean.... personally all those slider treadmill things look like complicated expensive huge snake oil to me. The idea seems appealing in theory but... basically nothing will ever support it natively so it will always basically be a WASD mapped emulator that you have to slide around to use. I don't know, yeah it looks better than the omni, but that seems like saying a cold is better than the flu. Just using a thumbstick/trackpad seems so much easier, and half the time if I'm playing a shooty game I'll be dodging to the side, laying on the ground, sitting behind cover, peaking around things, all that looks annoying if not impossible to do while trapped in a slippery bowl.

I've demo'd the omni before and it feels pretty nice. In most games your character travels hundreds of miles throughout it. It's a lot more immersive than teleporting every 5 paces. I honestly think that the future of VR will be denser environments that capitalize on roomspace rather than sprawling open worlds, but that's another conversation.

As much as I love the immersion of roomspace, I'd really love to walk the paths of skyrim or fallout, and honestly I plan on modding Skyrim to make all enemies non-aggressive so I can casually just jog through the world as a morning exercise.

As far as native support, I think it'd be awesome even if it IS just WASD emulation, but I think that you could actually inject your measured movespeed into a game that supports roomspace movement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

As far as native support, I think it'd be awesome even if it IS just WASD emulation, but I think that you could actually inject your measured movespeed into a game that supports roomspace movement.

The touchpad/trackpad free movement systems we have now do this quite well already I feel, coupled with direction with one of your hands it's pretty nice. The only way Omni or it's ilk would ever, ever work is if it was an extremely inexpensive thing that could fold away like a lawn chair in about as much time as a lawn chair would take, and not take up any more space than that. With the tracking pucks and thing that could work maybe if you strap them on your feet then walk in your stationary bowl.
The Omni itself is dead in the water though, how can it not be with pre-orders in 2014 when it is currently mid-way 2017. Even if some Omni-like solution comes around it certainly isn't going to be the Omni you preordered.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

rage-saq posted:

Hello.V...

Ok so this one is A+ loving fantastic... when it works.

I tried a handful of games and it seems pretty inconsistent with regards to when it injects correctly into the game.

That said the way each app is presented is exactly what I wanted. I put my twitch chat pop out link into the app, opened it in the vr overlay, and I had a window that I could move around iron man style in whatever VR game I was in at the time.

I was testing Arizona Sunshine earlier so I just put the twitch chat behind me, played, and I'd look back at the window anytime I wanted to check in with the chat.

Really the only thing I can complain about is it sometimes wouldn't load the interface at all.

IceOrb fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 20, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

IceOrb posted:

Ok so this one is A+ loving fantastic... when it works.

I tried a handful of games and it seems pretty inconsistent with regards to when it injects correctly into the game.

That said the way each app is presented is exactly what I wanted. I put my twitch chat pop out link into the app, opened it in the vr overlay, and I had a window that I could move around iron man style in whatever VR game I was in at the time.

I was testing Arizona Sunshine earlier so I just put the twitch chat behind me, played, and I'd look back at the window anytime I wanted to check in with the chat.

Really the only thing I can complain about is it sometimes wouldn't load the interface at all.

If the games you're trying to inject it into isn't running steamVR, if its oculus SDK, those wouldn't work, maybe thats why it was failing in those cases? If it is oculus native you'd need to use the 'hello.v' one. I use that all the time for elite and it works well, so maybe try that on the ones that aren't injecting.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

If the games you're trying to inject it into isn't running steamVR, if its oculus SDK, those wouldn't work, maybe thats why it was failing in those cases? If it is oculus native you'd need to use the 'hello.v' one. I use that all the time for elite and it works well, so maybe try that on the ones that aren't injecting.

Hello v is more polished, sure, but is significantly less functional imo, since you can't capture arbitrary windows. Also has some really dumb design decisions. Hopefully it'll get better with time.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

I quoted the wrong thing, lol.

It was supposed to be referring to Hello.V.

I'm in the honeymoon phase of "use the headset for everything" at the moment.

Typing this message, and the last one, while wearing it right now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

IceOrb posted:

I quoted the wrong thing, lol.

It was supposed to be referring to Hello.V.

I'm in the honeymoon phase of "use the headset for everything" at the moment.

Typing this message, and the last one, while wearing it right now.

Oh, well in that case if its not injecting try opening up the GUI and do a manual injection, or if its a steaaaaaamVR game, hello.v doesn't work yet, though steamVR support is supposed to be coming "soon".

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh, well in that case if its not injecting try opening up the GUI and do a manual injection, or if its a steaaaaaamVR game, hello.v doesn't work yet, though steamVR support is supposed to be coming "soon".

Roger that.

If I bought something on Steam that also has an oculus store version are they letting users install THAT version of the game?

Or was it the other way around?

I might be remembering this incorrectly but I swear there was a big stink about this when the rift launched.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

IceOrb posted:

Roger that.

If I bought something on Steam that also has an oculus store version are they letting users install THAT version of the game?

Or was it the other way around?

I might be remembering this incorrectly but I swear there was a big stink about this when the rift launched.

If you bought it on steam, but its also on oculus home, chances are usually good the steam version is also running native OVR for oculus users as well as steamVR for vive users. Anything that does both shooouuuld automatically default to native, but you may have to select it manually when starting it? Basically, if you can see the steam chaperone walls its running steamVR. What is it you're trying to use out of curiosity thats not working?

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

Robo Recall does not work at all.

And I have not tried a steam app yet but Batman will likely be the first.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Cojawfee posted:

VR: It's great, just follow this 93 step guide to set it up and then wait two minutes for everything to settle down.

Skyim: It's great, you just have to download these 93 mods to make it a good game and then hope it doesn't crash midgame

Or you could just do the bare minium and still have it be a fun experience but there are also optional things you can get to improve it

Personally I haven't had to tinker with anything outside of putting the sensors in the right place and setting a vague shaky blob to show me where I'll gently caress myself up if I start running around the room.

Now if you're talking VorpX that's a different matter

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

IceOrb posted:

Robo Recall does not work at all.

And I have not tried a steam app yet but Batman will likely be the first.

Batman should definitely launch natively, so hello.v might work. There are a few games where it doesn't work yet for some reason I don't really know the details, maybe robo recall is one but, if you're looking for help, they have a nice discord you can ask around in for answers. I think theres a link to it on the website.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Batman should definitely launch natively, so hello.v might work. There are a few games where it doesn't work yet for some reason I don't really know the details, maybe robo recall is one but, if you're looking for help, they have a nice discord you can ask around in for answers. I think theres a link to it on the website.

Much appreciated.

Also for Elite, I assume you are on Steam?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

IceOrb posted:

Much appreciated.

Also for Elite, I assume you are on Steam?

I run elite through oculus home, but the steam version is the same version so it should be identical in every way. It SHOULD default to starting elite in oculus mode when thats whats hooked up, but I've heard that it might start it by default in steamVR mode through steam maybe? Either way, if it launches in steamVR mode by default, I believe all you have to do is start it in desktop mode, then change the video settings while in game to 'hmd with headphones' and it will default to oculus mode, and then should from then on when you launch it. I don't know this 100%, but I've heard something to that effect before if it's not launching natively.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Elite autodetects which headset you have. I don't think there's a supported method of getting it to run using SteamVR if you have a Rift, so you're kinda stuck with V there.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

I run elite through oculus home, but the steam version is the same version so it should be identical in every way. It SHOULD default to starting elite in oculus mode when thats whats hooked up, but I've heard that it might start it by default in steamVR mode through steam maybe? Either way, if it launches in steamVR mode by default, I believe all you have to do is start it in desktop mode, then change the video settings while in game to 'hmd with headphones' and it will default to oculus mode, and then should from then on when you launch it. I don't know this 100%, but I've heard something to that effect before if it's not launching natively.

I'll just try to keep my purchases inside Oculus Home for now then.

Batman did in fact detect I was wearing a Rift however Hello V did not inject. But its kinda irrelevant cause the game renders in a tiny window so I don't think I'll be streaming that anytime soon.

I popped onto their discord like you recommended though.

Appreciate your assistance! I've largely had a very pleasant experience with getting all this stuff set up. I think now its just down to me finding a bigger play space. I'd like to add another sensor but I'm completely tapped out on usb ports thanks to this thing. (my biggest complaint.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

War Thunder is neat but made me feel nauseated after a while. Not sure why since I have no problem with Elite. Definitely worth a download to gently caress around for a while though.

Warthunder acts a bit weird in VR and I can't put my finger on why. I think there's some kind of delay between input and response, but not nearly high enough to notice or something like that. I don't have a problem with it personally, but I have a friend that's perfectly fine with wasd locomotion in serious sam, but warthunder somehow gets him queasy after 10 minutes without fail.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Truga posted:

Warthunder acts a bit weird in VR and I can't put my finger on why. I think there's some kind of delay between input and response, but not nearly high enough to notice or something like that. I don't have a problem with it personally, but I have a friend that's perfectly fine with wasd locomotion in serious sam, but warthunder somehow gets him queasy after 10 minutes without fail.

Another thing is that there's no horizon in Elite, really, unlike terrestrial flight sims like War Thunder. Your brain has a harder time understanding you're not really moving when the entire world looks like what you know.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so apparently and surprisingly the 'vive and chill' aka the 25 dollar fans that blow on your forehead - is actually getting very good reviews. if you sweat a lot it seems like an essential purchase. I grabbed one and will post some impressions when I get it in august.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

so apparently and surprisingly the 'vive and chill' aka the 25 dollar fans that blow on your forehead - is actually getting very good reviews. if you sweat a lot it seems like an essential purchase. I grabbed one and will post some impressions when I get it in august.

Isn't that literally just a pair of small usb powered fans that has double sided tape on it, or is there something more to them? I'd be worried people with long hair would get it caught in the blades haha.

edit: Also, a reminder that Lone Echo is going to be out in ~4 hours.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 20, 2017

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hello fellow goons, I'm new around here.

Thought I'd let you nerds know the XPlane dudes just announced they are doing an official VR update. Motion controls and all!
They recommend you use your HOTAS and have one controller for booping buttons that aren't mapped. But they've confirmed it's bad rear end.

They said full support for Rift and Vive via SteamVR (but doesn't require purchase via steam, just uses the app)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NAvy8HcVc&t=1127s

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

Isn't that literally just a pair of small usb powered fans that has double sided tape on it, or is there something more to them? I'd be worried people with long hair would get it caught in the blades haha.

edit: Also, a reminder that Lone Echo is going to be out in ~4 hours.

yes that is essentially what they are. I was extremely dubious also but all the reviews say that even the sweatiest person has a dry forehead with it, and I am that extremely sweaty person so 25 bucks is worth it to me to have longer drier play sessions. plus between this, the DAS, then likely the eye tracking hardware and the tpcast, I'm one step closer to the frankenvive

It also has an auto stop/start if something gets caught in it.

also fuuuuck yea lone echo. echo arena start back up also?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

yes that is essentially what they are. I was extremely dubious also but all the reviews say that even the sweatiest person has a dry forehead with it, and I am that extremely sweaty person so 25 bucks is worth it to me to have longer drier play sessions. plus between this, the DAS, then likely the eye tracking hardware and the tpcast, I'm one step closer to the frankenvive

It also has an auto stop/start if something gets caught in it.

Sounds pretty cool, looking forward to hearing your experience with them!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh, also, since I'm having issues with a controller and HTC, I decided to try my hand at repairing my surplus controller that I replaced when it took a knock and lost tracking.

It is crazy easy to fix, please don't be a sucker like me and buy a new one/wait for HTC to fix. All of ten minutes from start to finish, just needed to reinsert a couple of ribbon connectors and it now works good as new.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

The Walrus posted:

oh, also, since I'm having issues with a controller and HTC, I decided to try my hand at repairing my surplus controller that I replaced when it took a knock and lost tracking.

It is crazy easy to fix, please don't be a sucker like me and buy a new one/wait for HTC to fix. All of ten minutes from start to finish, just needed to reinsert a couple of ribbon connectors and it now works good as new.

While I've not dived in myself much, I heard all the Vive kit is extremely easy to take apart and put together.
Hell, those eye tracking folks managed to fit in the cameras right next to the lenses and route the cables through the side of the headset with ease.

Edit: speeling :downs:

kaffo fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 20, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kaffo posted:

Thought I'd let you nerds know the XPlane dudes just announced they are doing an official VR update. Motion controls and all!
They recommend you use your HOTAS and have one controller for booping buttons that aren't mapped. But they've confirmed it's bad rear end.

They said full support for Rift and Vive via SteamVR (but doesn't require purchase via steam, just uses the app)

Maybe I'll have to buy x-plane again. I wish someone would just release some sort of joystick base you could attach the motion controllers to.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

kaffo posted:

Does XPlane require buying 20 different addons to look good, or is it pretty complete out of the box?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Lone Echo review:
https://uploadvr.com/lone-echo-review-new-kind-space-odyssey/

8.5/10

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I'll have to buy x-plane again. I wish someone would just release some sort of joystick base you could attach the motion controllers to.
That's a really cool idea... But I'm not sure it'd ever live up to a proper, solid stick with a gently caress load of buttons personally.
Especially the throttle, there's something amazing about needing to put a bit of force into it and hearing the engines spin up.

Enos Cabell posted:

Does XPlane require buying 20 different addons to look good, or is it pretty complete out of the box?

IIRC think it looks pretty out the box.... But if you want more than 2 planes and a microlight they'll shaft you for $15 a plane.
Honestly I've never had the balls to pay out the £50 initial payment, I've tried the demos, thought it was incredible, then realised I'd never be able to get £50 of fun out of it before I got bored.

War thunder is free and I can shoot people :smug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dirty Rally is quickly becoming my favorite VR game, although probably just because I have such a good setup for it.

Arizona Sunshine is really fun but there's little moments where something doesn't quite work like I want it to and it kinda funks up the experience a little. Like I'll pick up ammo too fast so I'll end up dropping one of the clips, and then have to lean over and pick it up or something like that. But drat does it feel good to headshot zombies with point-and-shoot instead of a mouse.

Superhot VR is the new game I use to demo VR to my friends now over Job Sim. They're both great but Neo is next poo poo.

Truga posted:

Not to discount others' experiences, but I've also had no problems with war thunder and I have had issues with other games, so that's interesting.

It used to have issues with the menus but they've gotten (a tiny bit) better.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, Lone Echo Arena is released today? I've been conflating it's release day and Splatoon's in my head. See you guys online tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The 3 times I tired to get into a Echo Arena game I was either locked in the capsule thing and couldnt get out, or the one time I finally got out, I couldn't float around like everyone else in the lobby, and I didn't even know how to join a game.

Is this a common bug? It literally never worked for me.