Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
:gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Keep going, I'm nearly there :fap:

Dongles

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

insidius posted:

I have a 2012 15" Retina MBP. 2.6/8G/512SSD blah blah.

Battery went kaput. Take it into my local store for a battery replacement. Informed they will replace the entire unit due to a lack of top cases.

I got five years out of that 2012, by the time this is done my initial purchase could see me through a decade. That is some serious value.

Do you know what they are replacing it with? Also, how much did you have to pay, the standard $199? I have the same machine but with 16GB RAM and I get about an hour of battery life, "Service Battery" warning is on in the menu, and "Battery Health" from the App Store says 75% health.

:lol: 777 charge cycles.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

:flaccid:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Chris Knight posted:

What "myth" are you talking about? Most people turn off things they won't be using for hours at a time.

Bob Morales posted:

Don't most people leave sleep mode on so after 20 minutes or an hour it just goes to sleep?

This was kinda before sleep was really a 'working' thing or something people even knew about. I leave my computers on and sometimes they are set to sleep because I leave work open because that's how my brain works and I assume other people too. I couldn't be bothered to close stuff out or whatever. Plus I like to come back to a computer thats already booted.

Also look at the state of todays TV driving devices. Sure you turn the TV off but who turns off everything connected to the TV?

eames
May 9, 2009

I still have my matte 17". The screen still looks very good even compared to new retina stuff.
It's probably more the size than anything else but it still makes me think "woah, this is a nice screen" upon opening it, despite using a 15" rMBP on a daily basis.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The 17" is great both matte and glossy screen. The nice thing is that you don't have to deal with any display scaling and the pixel size and quantity are just right which is why you still see a lot of 1920x1200 displays still being made and used for 'real work'. Plus its not really all that big for a '17'. They should bring it back in QHD or whatever its called for 16:10.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

I still have my matte 17". The screen still looks very good even compared to new retina stuff.
It's probably more the size than anything else but it still makes me think "woah, this is a nice screen" upon opening it, despite using a 15" rMBP on a daily basis.

The last 15" cMBP I owned had the matte 1680x1050 screen, it's not comparable to the Retina when you talk about uniformity and quality.

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

The last 15" cMBP I owned had the matte 1680x1050 screen, it's not comparable to the Retina when you talk about uniformity and quality.
Well, TN panels including that of the MBA don't bother me so don't take screen advice from me. :shrug:
I personally still think that the 17" screen aged very well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shaocaholica posted:

This was kinda before sleep was really a 'working' thing or something people even knew about.

Getting my first Mac in the mid 00s left me astounded I had a system where sleep/wake actually worked, and didn't even take longer than just cold booting the thing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

eames posted:

Well, TN panels including that of the MBA don't bother me so don't take screen advice from me. :shrug:
I personally still think that the 17" screen aged very well.

Same; I must have non-evolved eyes because while I notice the difference between the screen on my 2011 cMBP and my 2014 rMBP, I don't think it's life-altering, and I think my 2011 cMBP's screen still looks good.

I actually wish they still had a nice thick glass panel across the screen...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are Apple prorietary laptop SSDs all the same interface? If I wanted to get a bigger SSD for my mid-2014 rMBP, what search terms should I be using?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Getting my first Mac in the mid 00s left me astounded I had a system where sleep/wake actually worked, and didn't even take longer than just cold booting the thing.

Yeah, same here. I always turned off my laptops or manually triggered sleep because just closing the lid and opening was so totally unreliable. I think I encountered a crazy hot, dead laptop twice in my bag before I stopped trusting it completely. The way a Mac works with sleep and stuff was just remarkable.

I also love the suspended shutdown sequence that triggering a shutdown and then closing the lid causes in lots of windows laptops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Are Apple prorietary laptop SSDs all the same interface? If I wanted to get a bigger SSD for my mid-2014 rMBP, what search terms should I be using?

You can interchange the late-2013 with the 14's and 15's

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks. If I decide to pick up a used apple SSD, is there any way to tell it's health? Like lifetime writes?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The hinge on my iMac suddenly broke. The poor thing looks a bit sad now, truth be told. I know Apple had a program for this a while back but I can't seem to find anything now. It's a late 2013 27". Am I screwed or will they fix it? Apparently the hinge was shite to begin with which is why they introduced that warranty/refund/repair program.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

GutBomb posted:

Do you know what they are replacing it with? Also, how much did you have to pay, the standard $199? I have the same machine but with 16GB RAM and I get about an hour of battery life, "Service Battery" warning is on in the menu, and "Battery Health" from the App Store says 75% health.

:lol: 777 charge cycles.

A battery replacement in Australia is $289 AUD for the 15". I'll assume that in your region you will pay your standard price as per usual.

I do not yet know what I will receive, I am still awaiting my call to take payment. My friend went in as well with the non dedicated GPU unit from the time and received the following:

Mid spec 2016:

2.7 gb quad,16gb memory 512gb ssd and a 2gb Radeon card

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Theophany posted:

Seriously these machines easily last 8-10 years, I don't get people upgrading every 3 unless they buy poverty spec. My '09 Mac Pro will easily see me for another few years barring a catastrophic hardware failure. My brother is still rocking his '06 white MacBook.

pff

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
:colbert: I want to see a fully rendered current forums page

Anyway, does anyone remember if any of the big case companies made a hardshell case for the unibody 17" MBP? I see a generic one on Amazon....

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I do have 10.4 installed on it but the browser is just a backport of Firefox so there's not much weirdness to look at.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The forums don't look that weird in classilla anyway.

Cream posted:

There is a permanent fix for the 2010 15". Requires soldering a new capacitor on the logic board. I did it myself. Runs like a charm.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-kernel-panic-in-mid-2010-whats-the-best-fix.1890097/

Thanks for this, even with just the SW fix, this 2010 is working better than it has in years.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Just got a 2017 macbook pro.
:swoon::swoon:That retina screen, everything’s so… sharp!:syoon::syoon:

:psypop: Unless it’s not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that Excel? I spend my entire working life in Excel 2016 for Windows so like to keep it off my Mac for some separation. That looks even harder to adjust to than Numbers. What is wrong with them, even Adobe can port and they're next to useless.

(Probably glad I'm on my phone and can't see the non-sharp elements you're talking about too well, which would probably push me over the edge).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That is like, Office Mac 2011. The actual modern Office for Mac is pretty good.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 20, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Phew, that's closer at least if I ever need to install it. Fingers crossed the separation remains though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Phew, that's closer at least if I ever need to install it. Fingers crossed the separation remains though.
Microsoft did actually add Retina/HiDPI support to Office 2011 but it took them quite a while and I don't think they ever rolled it into the base installer. Office 2011 has an incredibly silly updater that does updates sequentially instead of as a big rollup so you probably just need to run the updater until it stops offering updates and it'll eventually look better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

The actual modern Office for Mac is pretty good.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

The hinge on my iMac suddenly broke. The poor thing looks a bit sad now, truth be told. I know Apple had a program for this a while back but I can't seem to find anything now. It's a late 2013 27". Am I screwed or will they fix it? Apparently the hinge was shite to begin with which is why they introduced that warranty/refund/repair program.

If not, the mechanism is pretty cheap to fix.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, modern Excel for Mac is so fa head of Numbers from a productivity perspective that it's not even funny.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I can get a MBA from best buy (128gb, 8gb, 5th gen processor) for $700 brand new. If I can deal with the screen (using it docked 75% of the time) and the SSD is acceptable, is that a good deal?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What are you gonna use it for?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, modern Excel for Mac is so fa head of Numbers from a productivity perspective that it's not even funny.

Even at the price of "free" numbers is a terrible prospective. I dunno where libreoffice sits in this, better or worse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Boiled Water posted:

Even at the price of "free" numbers is a terrible prospective. I dunno where libreoffice sits in this, better or worse.

Libreoffice is more or less on par with MS Office. Functionality wise, the spreadsheet probably falls just short of excel, and the word processor is arguably better than word. The interface is stuck in 2001 though (which is part of the appeal for some users I guess). That part is changing though, the latest version under development is finally overhauling it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What are you gonna use it for?

CS classes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I can get a MBA from best buy (128gb, 8gb, 5th gen processor) for $700 brand new. If I can deal with the screen (using it docked 75% of the time) and the SSD is acceptable, is that a good deal?

That's not a bad price but I've picked up lightly used ones with 512GB drives for $550

I was against the base Air when it was only a 4GB model but 8GB makes it okay if you can live with the 128GB drive.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Still having buyer's remorse on buying the 2017 MBA refresh for $1,000 :saddowns:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That laptop is going to last forever.

Quietly chuckling to itself every time you look at it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I finally got my new MBP non-TB and I have to say, I really appreciate the speed boost compared to my MBA. And the screen is ... it feels like God is personally engraving the code into my tired eyeballs. On the other hand, the machine is twice as expensive and the battery is worse.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm still trying to grasp how to view images on my retina display because its a lot harder to tell if I'm magnified or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krispy Kareem posted:

That laptop is going to last forever.

Quietly chuckling to itself every time you look at it.

My 2013 Macbook Air finally gave me the notice that it needs a new battery. Not quite forever but these suckers last a long time.