Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I actually hope that the combined campaign map starts with the empire already having confederated most of the elector counts. I think it would be much cooler to start with vast resources and manpower already at your disposal, but you're surrounded by enemies who want to burn it all to the ground.

Depends on what the end game/existential threat is imo. The Empire has the economic power to squash practically every other faction in the old world right from the outset. I think they will also be making the super-map conquer everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

ZearothK posted:

Always start with the economy buildings, "The sinews of war are infinite money", as Rome 1 told us; doubly so for Gold and Gem Mines. And yeah, it is a good idea to place the infantry building in a minor settlement, since it only goes up to tier 3.

Make all your recruitment buildings in one or two provinces (Silver Road and Barrak-Var are ideal for the Dwarfs), and for the rest always go for money, garrisons, public order and growth, in that order.

Quarrelers are crucial enough to my early game that I usually upgrade the Karaz-a-Karak mustering hall, even though I'll be tearing it down later to put in a minor settlement.

And yeah that gem mine is great value, I always build it first thing.

For the third Karaz-a-Karak slot I usually put in the artillery building. Even though it doesn't get much use early on. (Grudge Throwers are great, but if you're playing as Thorgrim you already start with one, and the Gob-Lobber RoR becomes available pretty quickly.) But in the long run you want that building, in a province capital because it goes up to level 5, and after just one upgrade you can recruit Thunderers.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ZearothK posted:

Always start with the economy buildings, "The sinews of war are infinite money", as Rome 1 told us; doubly so for Gold and Gem Mines. And yeah, it is a good idea to place the infantry building in a minor settlement, since it only goes up to tier 3.

Make all your recruitment buildings in one or two provinces (Silver Road and Barrak-Var are ideal for the Dwarfs), and for the rest always go for money, garrisons, public order and growth, in that order.

What are the pros/cons of taking Mount Grumbar right away after the ambush mission? Zhufbar already has the other half of the region, and it seems they can eventually get it for themselves. OTOH, that gold mine is pretty tempting, and securing it quickly means I can basically ignore the north until I'm ready to deal with the VCs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

SirPhoebos posted:

What are the pros/cons of taking Mount Grumbar right away after the ambush mission? Zhufbar already has the other half of the region, and it seems they can eventually get it for themselves. OTOH, that gold mine is pretty tempting, and securing it quickly means I can basically ignore the north until I'm ready to deal with the VCs.

The Brightstone mine you can build there gives you 1000g a turn on top of the gold mine so getting mount Gunbad early on goes a big money advantage.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SirPhoebos posted:

Mount Grumbar is the most valuable real-estate available for Dwarfs. You get the Gem mine and also an unique Brightstone Mine that gives even more money. The only problem is that it is a pretty long walk from the Silver Road and most of your problems will be coming from the south, so it is a hassle to defend it if Karak Kadrin is doing poorly, but if you build up the garrison you won't need to worry too much.

The only caveat to taking Mt. Grumbar is that going all the way there costs a long time in the early game. If after consolidating the Silver Road it looks like you have a shot at taking Black Crag early or if the Greenskins are building up a Waaaagh! it is better to go south to pressure them, otherwise go north and take that moneymaker.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

My dwarf game is going pretty well, it might be going slow but I haven't been completely smashed in my home province and that seems unlikely now. I have a lot of grudges to settle and apparently the longbeards are very angry, is that going to have really bad effects if I let it fester? Right now it's just -2 to public order and like -20 rep I think and the bar is pretty much filled so it looks like it can't get worse.

Thanks for the advice whoever gave it, I just needed a gentler start to learn the economy/pace of the game really and playing as Dwarves definitely eased me in.

Nah, the grudge system sucks and ain't no one got time to handle each one as they're received - it's why I just settled for the short victory when I played Dwarfs.

Despite having so many grudges I don't remember having many issues with other Dwarfs and my settlements were stable, so emptying the Book of Grudges is really more trouble than it's worth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Sometimes you can get lucky and have Karak Kadrin sack the place from the goblins but not actually immediately capture it, and you can dart in and grab it with little effort.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Going for Mt Gunbad early on gives Grimgor a chance to attack your stuff while your army is several turns away though.

My own strategy is to immediately move the mustering hall to that first settlement you take in Silver Road and put the Gem Mine and artillery building at Karaz-a-Karak. I pump out a few more Grudge throwers (generally two more for a total of three) and enough Warriors and Quarellers to have a full stack. I then rush Grimgor's Black Crag.

This give two benefits-
Firstly, you get a gold mine and Grimgor loses one. This latter point is particularly important because Grimgor is an rear end in a top hat and needs to be crippled as soon as possible.

Secondly, the Greenskins will almost always focus their attacks here. A small defensive army and a defensive building at Black Crag will take a ton of pressure off the rest of your empire as you try to expand into the badlands. This is absolutely huge because there are few things in this game as frustrating as trying to chase after an Ork stack with your short-legged Dwarfs as they beeline for lightly defended settlements, generating Grudges as they go.

Once you have Black Crag you can then send a stack up to take Mt Gunbad and will be absolutely flush with income, and from here the game is mostly downhill.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Another advantage of taking Gunbad is it opens up a trade route with Karak Kadrin.

Some games I go after Gunbad first, others I don't. Sometimes I'll send an army up there only to find Zhufbar already sieging it, or the orcs have an army stationed there that's too big to fight along with the garrison, and then I'll turn around and head home, a few crucial turns wasted. Other times I'll ignore Gunbad and then a few dozen turns later, a Greenskin army comes charging down at an inconvenient moment. It's not a question about which I have a settled correct answer, except to say that it's a pretty great place if you can get it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pendent posted:

This give two benefits-
Firstly, you get a gold mine and Grimgor loses one. This latter point is particularly important because Grimgor is an rear end in a top hat and needs to be crippled as soon as possible.

You say that like the ai gives a poo poo about what resources it should have available.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

You say that like the ai gives a poo poo about what resources it should have available.

My experience is that once he loses Black Crag Grimgor is consistently much less of a threat. Maybe this is due to losing unit production buildings instead of the gold mine but it absolutely hurts him.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

Depends on what the end game/existential threat is imo. The Empire has the economic power to squash practically every other faction in the old world right from the outset. I think they will also be making the super-map conquer everywhere?

It's mainly that I'd love to just jump right into the "managing multiple campaigns on multiple fronts" part

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Things I like about the formation mod:

Lots more options for unit configurations, makes it easy to protect artillery or ranged units. Many spear units, for example, can form into a phalanx to cause fear vs horse units. Infantry can use a formation suited for attacking. It also works better on larger unit sizes so playing on ultra has more incentives.

The AI also uses the formations too, and from what I've seen they use them intelligently.

It's compatible with brutal battles but I'm not sure if the changes to collision distance affect the formations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Krell has been announced just to tell everyone.

He is a unique ability of Kremmler.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

So does Krell talk, have a personality, etc, or does Kemmler just imagine his skeleton thrall as his best pal because he is a crazy man?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is a unique ability of Kremmler.

That's lame. Hopefully some modder will make him a passive always-on summon instead.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ohhh i thought you were loving around

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mechanical Ape posted:

So does Krell talk, have a personality, etc, or does Kemmler just imagine his skeleton thrall as his best pal because he is a crazy man?

He's a wight, so he's less animate than a Vampire but more so than a skeleton.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mechanical Ape posted:

Kemmler is a crazy man but Krell definately has his own personality and stuff, there is even a subtle subtext (that is pretty much full on confirmed in the end times) that Krell is actually the one in charge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
http://steamcommunity.com/games/364360/announcements/detail/1432559763638781019

Here the link

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

They said something about different racing having various "preferences" as regards climate and poo poo, probably would mean that they'd suffer some plenalties or only be able to build outposts or something out of their preferred climate I would guess.

quote:

Heinrich Kemmler will be able to summon Krell in single player and multiplayer battles as a unique ability unavailable to other Vampire Count lords and heroes. Krell also comes with a unique skill chain (found in Kemmler’s skill tree) which will make him even more potent and enduring in battle as his master grows in strength during the grand campaign.

I think this actually sounds pretty cool. Kemmler is now kidn of two characters, levelling him up will also allow you to level up Krell. And you can summon him out of the ground like zombies or skeletons, except I guess he's going to gently caress poo poo up. Could be pretty devastating if timed and used correctly.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 20, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
WHERE IS KRELL

oh there he is

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Taking Mount Gunbad early is not worth it in my experience. It opens you up to a bunch of bullshit, growth is slow as hell if you don't take the whole province, not to mention public order problems. Even with the mine the opportunity cost of marching an army up there and back down again is huge. If you don't gently caress up Grimgor chances are he will show up with a Waaagh and you'd be in real trouble.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What are my opening moves as Wood Elves in the Grand Campaign?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
hey hey guys

guess who's weak?

nagash lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Plavski posted:

hey hey guys

guess who's weak?

nagash lol

Blatantly disrespectful.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, is Krell out now, or later today?

Kinda sounds like they just gave him Ghorst's summon wight king ability with a reskinned wight king and a red line dedicated to buffing that singular wight king.
Which seems a bit like the easy way to do it compared to making him work like skarsnik or have krell as a legendary hero.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Just finished the Brettonia campaign on hard. I could not, for the life of me, get my head wrapped around it. So far, the least fun I've had with a campaign - I actually left it unfinished for a couple months because I just wasn't enjoying it enough to finish. Eventually, my inner completionist won out, and I ground through the last bunch of turns and beat the bejeezus out of the final battle (picked chaos. bad choice).

I honestly don't know why I had such a rough time with it. Normally, waving around my heavy cavalry :dong: is my favourite thing to do. It just seemed like I could never properly control all the cavalry or get it to where it needed to go, and it seemed like my peasants couldn't ever manage to hold even close to long enough for my cavalry to come in and save the day. Honestly, I think the root of my problem is that peasants are just so god drat bad, and I overrelied on them at basically every juncture. This combined poorly with my tendency to tunnelvision on problem areas and forget about units of cavalry. It was just overall a lot more micro than I was used to, and I really bounced hard off a handful of battles that should have only been mildly difficult.

Welp.

Started a treebeard campaign, already enjoying stomping enemies to bits. hosed up my first attempt after not building income or being aggressive and suddenly being locked in to a tiny space with no fightable neighbours. Looking forward to seeding the mountains a bit, then going gallivanting up through the frozen wastes to gently caress up some rear end in a top hat vikings. Any tactical tips for playing welves? I played the minicampaign, but I know I did way worse on it than I could have.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Playing a Bretonnia / Empire coop game with a friend on very hard and we just got pulled into a war by proxy against the Dwarfs and holy poo poo we are losing. What's the best advice in fighting them?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There is no such thing as no fightable neighbors as welves. Pick someone and gently caress them up.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

littleorv posted:

As Orion you can move to the east edge of your territory, recruit a couple units, then head towards the nearby Orc settlement. I don't think you have enough movement to reach it on turn 2, but you can definitely take it on turn 3. From there you can take the other orc fort to the south, or head back if beastmen/Brettonia are threatening.

For Durthu I think you can do something similar with the Dwarves / Skarsnik to the north of you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Glenn Quebec posted:

Playing a Bretonnia / Empire coop game with a friend on very hard and we just got pulled into a war by proxy against the Dwarfs and holy poo poo we are losing. What's the best advice in fighting them?

Dwarfs are hella heavy on armoured infantry, so anything armour piercing and/or anti-infantry is what you want.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Glenn Quebec posted:

Empire:
Bring a bunch of cannons/rockets, and two volley guns. If you out-artillery them it will take ages to get to you and they will all die. Don't bother with halberds, bring greatswords and lance 'griffs, with a few handgunners to round it out.

Bretonnia:
Bring a bunch of Trebuchets, not the blessed kind. Questing Knights are your friend, you don't want to bring anything with magic damage. Bring a bit of an air force, even just two units of pegasi if you don't have royals or hippogrifs. That will let you kill any gyros they bring and then go for the dwarf artillery. Don't bother with peasant archers, they got no AP.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

littleorv posted:

Go kill Skarsnik and Karak Norn.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just checked out Krell, he seems very underwhelming, looks like pretty standard Wight King hero stats plus Terror and he's summonable once per battle. Kemmler is still a super weak LL.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Should have been a level-locked skill like most lords' mounts - pair him with Kemmler like Skarsnik and Gobbla and turn Kemmler into a surprising melee powerhouse.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Should have been a level-locked skill like most lords' mounts - pair him with Kemmler like Skarsnik and Gobbla and turn Kemmler into a surprising melee powerhouse.

Kemmler doesn't have a mount, so I like this idea.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Thanks for the advice. The army that got crushed had a lot of magic damage so I'm assuming that was the problem

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
All DLC on sale 33% off until Monday.

I have all DLC minus Beastmen, Welvels, and Dorky Chaos.

What is this horde mechanic the beastmen use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ChickenWing posted:

Just finished the Brettonia campaign on hard. I could not, for the life of me, get my head wrapped around it. So far, the least fun I've had with a campaign - I actually left it unfinished for a couple months because I just wasn't enjoying it enough to finish. Eventually, my inner completionist won out, and I ground through the last bunch of turns and beat the bejeezus out of the final battle (picked chaos. bad choice).

I honestly don't know why I had such a rough time with it. Normally, waving around my heavy cavalry :dong: is my favourite thing to do. It just seemed like I could never properly control all the cavalry or get it to where it needed to go, and it seemed like my peasants couldn't ever manage to hold even close to long enough for my cavalry to come in and save the day. Honestly, I think the root of my problem is that peasants are just so god drat bad, and I overrelied on them at basically every juncture. This combined poorly with my tendency to tunnelvision on problem areas and forget about units of cavalry. It was just overall a lot more micro than I was used to, and I really bounced hard off a handful of battles that should have only been mildly difficult.

Welp.
Really? I've actually just started a Bret campaign and I'm loving it, probably because I'm coming off a lost/abandoned Chaos one (installed Gejnor's mod too late and decided not to roll back). When you people say "anvil with peasants" they don't exclusively mean the basic peasant unit. Get some troops, Battle Pilgrims work especially well, stick a Reliquae in there and watch them hold for an obscenely long time while you wheel the horsies around.

• Locked thread