Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

It's OK, everybody should have the NLE installed that can play back pro media anyway, and should never shut it off since budgets have been slashed where you should have excel open all the time along with the NLE, and compositing software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

are there any good hdr tvs these days? is the dolby standard worth waiting for? 4k nits lol yeah right.

yeah, if your pro enough you can get a 4k nit display from dolby lol :frogout: if you don't have one at this point.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i watched the lego movie in dolby vision and it looked great had nice bitrate and didn't have banding, just what I worked hard for. thanks and goodnight

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

moron izzard posted:

That's why you keep the sega Saturn plugged in.

pro systems like the cdi come with a remote, id recommend getting one of those instead for your home theater setup

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

but the cdi isn't a proper hifi system like the PlayStation 1

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

can't you just ask for the 24/48 master from the studio? A needle drop for the stupid indie stuff you want to listen to is only $3,500

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah hi pretend i read all 27 pages why should I get Plex Premium because all it seems to offer is offline syncing and the ability to watch free to air TV but for money

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i mean does it give you better codecs or something?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use the plex pass to watch my "home movies" hosted on my home server when im traveling

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

i mean does it give you better codecs or something?

not really

you get access to new versions quicker (free users are i think a few versions "behind", the pass-exclusive newest build isn't a "beta" or at least not treated as one), you get "Plex Media Player" which is an app-ified version of Plex with a few features over the web player (e.g. can direct play more formats)

you also get "plex cloud" which is basically an in-the-cloud plex server that gets its media from cloud storage accounts you have (currently supports Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox, IIRC), but its proven to be incredibly janky and unstable so i wouldn't put too much faith into that

there's probably some other stuff i'm not thinking of

it's been worth it for me to get the lifetime pass (which is $150 now, used to be $75) but ymmv on that

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

yeah hi pretend i read all 27 pages why should I get Plex Premium because all it seems to offer is offline syncing and the ability to watch free to air TV but for money

lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

GUYS HOW DO I DOWNLAOD LINUX ISOS IN THE MOST HARD WAY POSSIBLE?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

gently caress, its like you have the broadcast master from the studio and dont know how prores your way out of a paper bag (mov container)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

might as well slap that poo poo in VLC and get the gamma levels wrong on your rec.2020 master.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

why does this look even MORE washed out than usual? idk man its like they keep making the movies worse so you go see them in theatres

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys i cannot be without all of my TNG episodes at any time STAT

oops they on netflix

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i bet the netflix verions are better that whatever the scene cooked up becuase they thought they knew how to encode

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also lol at encoding tests that encode 4:2:0 compressed media that tells me a WHOLE LOT

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

next thing you're going to tell me is that you should test cars you pull from the junk yard with the tar all over the engine because its the only thing you can afford when reviewing cars

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

go on

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i know what you might be thinking right now. "pagancow has this ability to take something that isn't a big deal and blow it out of proportion"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vlc is good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but let me ask u,

who would say a rotten piece of meat tastes bad if they have never eaten good steak?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the rotten piece of meat, is 4:2:0 8 bit

the steak is 12-bpc RGB

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if you cook the steak good enough

oh god im making a food analogy abort!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

but let me ask u,

who would say a rotten piece of meat tastes bad if they have never eaten good steak?

i dont think that metaphor quite works but i get what you're saying

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

dont step to ms. frizzle unless u can put up 10-bpc 4:2:2

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just like

banding man

how can you deal?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use vlc and f.lux in tandem

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DONT STEP TO MS. FRIZZLE

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

just popping in my favorite pan and scan dvd ripped to h265 + 96kbps mp3 audio

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know where to get lossless twin peaks. not sure if i would care though

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

just popping in my favorite pan and scan dvd ripped to h265 + 96kbps mp3 audio

take the poop

roll it in the grass
run it over with a car
pull it out of the dogs mouth
wrap it up

mmm looks so good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hifi posted:

i dont know where to get lossless twin peaks. not sure if i would care though

you ask for a master from Rancho Rosa

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

identify this motherfucker and when you see it throw that display and signal generator chain in the garbage and start over

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

which means you need to trash your monitor now

but not me i closed my eyes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'd rather watch a stanley kubrick masterpiece with a million dollar work of art lens in regular person 1080p than some dipshit on an internet forum's commercial in lossless whatever that i can't use vlc for. and i guess that's how the entire planet has spoken too, going by the sales figures

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol more people shop at mcdonalds than any sort of restaurant so dont talk to me about food i know what i wan

-u 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

more people saw star wars ep 1 than that kubrick film so get that garbage off your monitor lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

jar jar is more recognizable than princess leia so MUST be a better character

• Locked thread