Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Montblanc from FF12 is in it...maybe.

Not after a visit to a jadg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

So what i'm hearing is that I should play FFTA, right?

It's good. Different from FFT and I don't like the job system as much, but the story is surprisingly good for a "teenagers drawn into another world" plot. Rather than being about big ideas about politics, faith, and the way history is written like FFT is, it's a more human story about how people deal with their problems.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Montblanc has vague memories of Marche, as if it was a dream,

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

It also prevented Mewt and friends from actually growing or learning to deal with their problems. Mewt has no mom? Well now he has a magic immortal mom who grants wishes and will never let him grow up
Yeah, thank god Marche is there to do all that growing and maturing he does lmao.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Marche" being an old French word meaning "wet blanket."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is it bad that with all the myriad of batshit insane plots in this weird series the most confusing FF plot to me is FF1's?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, thank god Marche is there to do all that growing and maturing he does lmao.

Well, Mewt grows up. Marche stays there and becomes a judge

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Is it bad that with all the myriad of batshit insane plots in this weird series the most confusing FF plot to me is FF1's?

What's not to get, you kill the end boss in the first hour, do stuff with crystals and then time travel or something to kill the end boss again.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Mega64 posted:

Not at all, especially if you're taking dissidia and möbius into account

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ohtsam posted:

Not at all, especially if you're taking dissidia and möbius into account

Oh Jesus I forgot Dissidia

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFTA's message is strong thematically but poor textually and I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that. The themes of the story are fine, coherent and make sense but the actual in-universe justification for the characters is poor. This leads to a divide where people have a hard time understanding the character's motivation even if they understand the actual themes of the story. "Escapism is bad and you shouldn't hide from real world problems" and "You can literally go to a magical wonderland of awesome adventure" are hard to work together and there's a reason a lot of those kinds of stories tend to leave people unsatisfied with the ending. That doesn't make the message wrong, merely poorly executed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FactsAreUseless posted:

But first you have to get it. The issue isn't that there are no useful Technicks, it's that they're real annoying to get, and unlike spells you don't get lots of them incrementally. This means that all the non-spellcasting classes end up being basically the same, except they wear different armor and wield different weapons.

The Breaks are super important but otherwise yeah.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FFTA's message is strong thematically but poor textually and I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that. The themes of the story are fine, coherent and make sense but the actual in-universe justification for the characters is poor. This leads to a divide where people have a hard time understanding the character's motivation even if they understand the actual themes of the story. "Escapism is bad and you shouldn't hide from real world problems" and "You can literally go to a magical wonderland of awesome adventure" are hard to work together and there's a reason a lot of those kinds of stories tend to leave people unsatisfied with the ending. That doesn't make the message wrong, merely poorly executed.

i think it would help a lot if it was just a line of dialogue that stated that the inhabitants of the fantasy world without real-world equivalents were soulless automatons and not actual living beings

i think the radio edition addresses all this stuff

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

GulagDolls posted:

i think it would help a lot if it was just a line of dialogue that stated that the inhabitants of the fantasy world without real-world equivalents were soulless automatons and not actual living beings

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is sap a "take more damage" debuff, or is it more like a bleed? It's hard to tell on trash mobs because they die so fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

i think the radio edition addresses all this stuff

Yeah, there are a lot of genuine ways to fix it. I'd say the biggest problem is simply that a lot of them conflict with a 100-hour JRPG where you're encouraged to create a cast of favorites. Fictional characters are fictional characters but people get pretty heavily invested in fictional characters they spend a lot of time with and "but they're fake so don't really care about them" is a bit of a hard sell, especially for a JRPG audience where "i cried when Aerith died" is an actual thing.

Obviously the real message is "it's okay to enjoy escapism so long as you don't let it dominate your life" but that's a message that requires a hell of a lot of effort to pull off well and a mid-budget GBA RPG is probably not the best place for it.

Honestly, if you want a story that tackles the same idea better, I'd actually recommend Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe. It's a very very similar concept (a boy from the real world ends up in a wonderful JRPG fantasy land) but actually spends a fair bit of time on the actual buildup and consequences and why one can't just stay in the fantasy world. (In fact it's not until 2/3rds of the way through the book the protagonist even ends up in the JRPG world.) It's a book aimed at the young adult crowd so expect more Harry Potter than anything but it's pretty good at what it does.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Emron posted:

Is sap a "take more damage" debuff, or is it more like a bleed? It's hard to tell on trash mobs because they die so fast.

Its like poison except instead of "ticking" for damage you just continuously lose hp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

Sap steadily drains HP, faster than you'd probably expect. You won't notice it on random enemies, like you say, because they die too quickly, but you'll definitely notice it if one of your characters gets hit with Sap.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Harrow posted:

Sap steadily drains HP, faster than you'd probably expect. You won't notice it on random enemies, like you say, because they die too quickly, but you'll definitely notice it if one of your characters gets hit with Sap.

Got it, so this blood sword having slightly lower base attack than my other sword isn't bad if I use it in a boss fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

Got it, so this blood sword having slightly lower base attack than my other sword isn't bad if I use it in a boss fight.

Yeah, if an enemy with a lot of HP is susceptible to Sap, it'll really ruin its day.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, if an enemy with a lot of HP is susceptible to Sap, it'll really ruin its day.

A nice note in this version is bosses don't seem so completely immune to stuff this time around. You can't really do Nihiopea shenanigans til late, but stuff like Expose and Shear actually work on bosses now. I don't think they did in vanilla.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

A nice note in this version is bosses don't seem so completely immune to stuff this time around. You can't really do Nihiopea shenanigans til late, but stuff like Expose and Shear actually work on bosses now. I don't think they did in vanilla.

Bosses are surprisngly vulnerable to status effects in 12, but without nihapaloa its still hard to deduce what will and wont work.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Part of me wishes they'd set the Final Fantasy MMOs in Ivalice. Like, in FFXIV was set in maybe like 100-years-after-FFXII Ivalice or something, that would be awesome as hell.

On the other hand, playable nu mou and bangaa would be hell for making armor models, which is already a ton of work, and playing GW2 has made me really appreciate the way FFXIV adds new armor models at a reasonable rate.

On the other other hand, playable moogles!

I believe when YoshiP took over he wanted to have FFXIV set in Ivalice, but the existing lore prevented that. However the Return to Ivalice raid is coming up, and it's been established that there are 12 alternate worlds, and 13th that was destroyed but was awfully similar in some aspects to the Ivalice that we know. What they do with it remains to be seen but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Ivalice exists in one of those alternate worlds.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 20, 2017

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mega64 posted:

That's still the most confusing one for me too. I need someone to write out the personal timelines (and motivations) of Garland, Chaos, the Four Fiends, and the warriors of light, please. I understand if there are ontological paradoxes, but I'm unclear on what those paradoxes even are.

Ty.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the water fiend likes water. not sure about the other three yet. i'll have to get back to you

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CuddlyZombie posted:

That's still the most confusing one for me too. I need someone to write out the personal timelines (and motivations) of Garland, Chaos, the Four Fiends, and the warriors of light, please. I understand if there are ontological paradoxes, but I'm unclear on what those paradoxes even are.

Ty.

Garland's death sends him into the future to turn him into Chaos and Chaos sends the Four Fiends to the past to make sure Garland's death results in him being sent to the future to send the Four Fiends to the past to make sure Garland's death results in him being sent to the future to send the Four Fiends to the past to

Or something like that

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Calaveron posted:

Garland's death sends him into the future to turn him into Chaos and Chaos sends the Four Fiends to the past to make sure Garland's death results in him being sent to the future to send the Four Fiends to the past to make sure Garland's death results in him being sent to the future to send the Four Fiends to the past to

Or something like that

I thought garland's death also sends him into the past, and teh four fiends turn him into chaos, and he then sends the four fiends into the future (but they're still in the past???) and somehow this makes garland immortal but i dont know why.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I feel like maybe the FF1 story makes no sense but all the others do make sense even if they can be a bit convoluted.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

Yeah, and the breaks (Wither, Expose, Addle, and Shear) are so goddamn good, too. You can really trivialize some of the late-game hunts with them, it's beautiful.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, and the breaks (Wither, Expose, Addle, and Shear) are so goddamn good, too. You can really trivialize some of the late-game hunts with them, it's beautiful.

Do you manually control them or do you create gambits? I find myself keeping battles in Active mode at max speed, but I select situational stuff instead of automating it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Garland is dying in the present and the Four Fiends send him into the past, where he acquires power and sends the Four Fiends to the future so they can send him to the past and create an eternal time loop. The four heroes go back and kill Garland for reals which breaks the time loop.

It's not complex so much as it relies on accepting the paradox that somehow this cycle started at some point but magic can explain that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

Do you manually control them or do you create gambits? I find myself keeping battles in Active mode at max speed, but I select situational stuff instead of automating it.

I select situational things. I don't mind doing a little micromanaging. I tend to make gambits for healing (both HP and status effects), reviving, and for my mages to target elemental weaknesses and to not use spells on an enemy with Reflect on. I'm sure I could do more, but I don't mind manually controlling some things.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Weirdly enough you can dispel enemies with reflect up and it doesn't reflect the dispel. I mean maybe that's not weird but I didn't think it would work until I tried it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Weirdly enough you can dispel enemies with reflect up and it doesn't reflect the dispel. I mean maybe that's not weird but I didn't think it would work until I tried it.

I though that's just normal for dispel to remove reflect in all FF games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah, Dispel removes Reflect. I have a gambit on my mages to avoid casting spells on enemies who have Reflect on, but also a gambit on my two Dispel-casters to immediately Dispel that Reflect. The "don't cast on a Reflected enemy" is just as a precaution that I added right after I found out the hard way that Mateus uses Reflect. Storm Staff-boosted Thundara kind of stings :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I believe when YoshiP took over he wanted to have FFXIV set in Ivalice, but the existing lore prevented that. However the Return to Ivalice raid is coming up, and it's been established that there are 12 alternate worlds, and 13th that was destroyed but was awfully similar in some aspects to the Ivalice that we know. What they do with it remains to be seen but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Ivalice exists in one of those alternate worlds.

The last part of the omega raid will be competing against seven other worlds with all the losing worlds being erased.

The other four worlds, deemed the strongest of the 12, are exempt from this of course.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Dispel removes Reflect. I have a gambit on my mages to avoid casting spells on enemies who have Reflect on, but also a gambit on my two Dispel-casters to immediately Dispel that Reflect. The "don't cast on a Reflected enemy" is just as a precaution that I added right after I found out the hard way that Mateus uses Reflect. Storm Staff-boosted Thundara kind of stings :v:

What gambit do you use for that? I didn't realize you could halt an action through gambits. I've been doing things the hard way all this time!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Levantine posted:

What gambit do you use for that? I didn't realize you could halt an action through gambits. I've been doing things the hard way all this time!

I imagine you could just put a gambit before all the spells that says "if enemy has reflect, just attack" and sidestep the whole thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Levantine posted:

gambits are in order of priority so you put a gambit above the spells that says IF FOE IS REFLECT > ATTACK or some other such thing they will do that instead of cast a spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Levantine posted:

I just have a gambit for "Enemy Status = Reflect -> Attack" at a higher priority than any offensive spells. If an enemy slaps Reflect on, they'll stop casting and run in to smack them with a weapon instead. (This works pretty well with Ashe, because she's a Monk/Black Mage, so her physical attack doesn't suck!)