Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

GotLag posted:

Does the right-hand upright being interrupted make it better or worse?

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong a million different ways for saying this, but given that the span of the board on the first step is ~40 inches, even if it's just screwed in place, my guess is they're probably adequate. Obviously the design is not ideal, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

mllaneza posted:

In this one, I really feel for the realtor.

http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894

You want "All Photos/Gallery".

I should not have looked at that just before going to bed

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Reminds me of how Tom Cullen decorated his place in The Stand. That being said, I did like a few of the paintings.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mllaneza posted:

This house is haunted, isn't it?

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm the mannequin dancing on the ceiling.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

kid sinister posted:

That being said, I did like a few of the paintings.

You had a lot to choose from.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mystery Steve posted:

I'm the mannequin dancing on the ceiling.

which?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

whalesteak posted:

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong a million different ways for saying this, but given that the span of the board on the first step is ~40 inches, even if it's just screwed in place, my guess is they're probably adequate. Obviously the design is not ideal, though.

I feel like the bigger issue is the lack of diagonal braces to handle lateral load. Then again, I'm not an engineer.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Samizdata posted:

This house is haunted, isn't it?

It would be if the mannequins didn't creep out the ghosts

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kid sinister posted:

Here's something not necessarily "crappy", just odd.

I've never seen a closet light on the outside before.
When you open the closet door and the leather-daddy fungeon stuff is visible, you want front lighting to really draw attention to The Great American Challenge centerpiece. In-cabinet toplighting just wont do.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

I have an entire Pinterest board of crazy stairs

These are good storage stair designs:

These are not:

I am a huge fan of staggered stairs, though handrails are a must. If I ever add onto this house it'll definitely involve a new library with tall bookshelves, and I'd totally do a rolling staggered stair instead of a ladder.

Anyone who has been to St. Peter's Basilica and who has climbed to the top of the dome (and if not, why?!) remembers the last few flights of stairs, including the ones between to layers of dome and the tight spiral where you hold onto a length of rope for support. Not a great place for claustophobics. Or acrophobics. Or papaphobics, I guess, but that's less stair-relevant.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

so i wasn't the only one staring at it thinking "where... does.. the load go?"

Down. It goes down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SoundMonkey posted:

so i wasn't the only one staring at it thinking "where... does.. the load go?"

They haven't installed the drywall yet

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Iron Crowned posted:

They haven't installed the drywall yet

or the bathtub

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
No, no, the bathtub is balanced on a sheet of plywood on top.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

I didn't know Macaulay Culkin had kids

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

We did not gently caress around with our playforts in the late 80's and early 90's. Plenty of sharpened sticks in the ground and some sprung/swinging branches as traps, but a metal spike dropper is another level.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Boogalo posted:

We did not gently caress around with our playforts in the late 80's and early 90's. Plenty of sharpened sticks in the ground and some sprung/swinging branches as traps, but a metal spike dropper is another level.

Did you smear the sticks with poo poo and carrion?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

aperion posted:

Here's something I found under my own house today! This isn't a distorted image or taken at an oblique angle.

The previous owner was an old plumber, and you'd think that he'd have done better than this horseshit.

If there's one thing I know about tradesmen/mechanics/engineers - their extensive knowledge of the subject allows them to do as little as possible to make something technically work. Never buy a "mechanic owned" car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FogHelmut posted:

If there's one thing I know about tradesmen/mechanics/engineers - their extensive knowledge of the subject allows them to do as little as possible to make something technically work. Never buy a "mechanic owned" car.
I think this rule applies pretty generally across a lot of fields.

Everyone I know who works in IT has a home network that's a mix of retired business gear and hacked together insanity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

~Coxy posted:

I remember this puzzle from Return to Zork.

I thought it was Myst.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

wolrah posted:

Everyone I know who works in IT has a home network that's a mix of retired business gear and hacked together insanity.

Are you saying you think my 4x dd-wrt flashed Goodwill routers acting as wireless bridges to 3x Ubiquiti Unifi APs with a NAS on a wired data-power Ethernet adapter is "hacked together insanity"?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

Can confirm. It's me - that's my network. My PCs and Macs are all retired corporate machines, too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

As an IT person, this was true when I was young, however now that I'm over 30, gently caress all of that maintenance. I have a single, good quality, bone stock router. I even quit buying AMD cpus because Intel just works.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Are you saying you think my 4x dd-wrt flashed Goodwill routers acting as wireless bridges to 3x Ubiquiti Unifi APs with a NAS on a wired data-power Ethernet adapter is "hacked together insanity"?

Who has time for this?

poo poo, I even pay for things now because piracy is too much goddamned work.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh, Steve is a new aquisition, and isn't in those old photos. Why don't you drop by and see for yourself? Come alone along! You'll have such a great time!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FogHelmut posted:

As an IT person, this was true when I was young, however now that I'm over 30, gently caress all of that maintenance. I have a single, good quality, bone stock router. I even quit buying AMD cpus because Intel just works.

Who has time for this?

Same. I just act as a normal consumer. I don't have the time or inclination to be a hobbyist at computers anymore. I didn't even bother buying a good router, I just use the terrible built in one that I rent from my cable provider. It works, so went on to other things.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

FogHelmut posted:

Who has time for this?

Yup, this is exactly how I went. Used to run a linux box for a router/traffic shaping/fileserver/etc, that is until I had a lovely day at work and it decided to be a dick. It got unplugged and now I just run a tiny Ubiquiti 4 port router and a Unifi AP that covers anything. Gave up on torrenting when places like amazon made it easier to buy poo poo than try to torrent it.

I don't even own a desktop anymore, just a Macbook I kept from one of my old jobs and my current work Macbook. loving spending money on laptops when work gives them to me. Any test systems I need to run are either vm's on my laptop or running AWS/GCE if I need more resources.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Who has time for this?

I'm getting there. While my computers are all castoffs, they are essentially stock with upgraded RAM and SSDs, to stretch them out a bit longer. Stock windows and Macintosh OSes. The network is getting simpler as poo poo pisses me off, not that it was terribly complex to begin with, just old free-ish equipment.
I dig my flawlessly-functioning Unifi AP. AT&T finally replaced my aging 2Wire router with an Arris NVG589 trying to chase down a router reboot issue (that turned out to be the card in the DMARC.) It works, I guess. As long as I don't have to jack with it much, it's fine. I set the port-forwarding for Bittorrent, and that's about it once they figured out the actual issue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://i.imgur.com/qwGyKjV.mp4

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

FogHelmut posted:

Who has time for this?

:hfive:

Same. I have the second cheapest internet router from the store and all my retired work equipment is in a pile to be brought to the recycling center (minus the hard drives naturally)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FogHelmut posted:

These days I do the same with the really important stuff in my network (router, core switch, primary WiFi) but that wasn't always an option. pfSense and UniFi let me ditch OpenWRT a few years back and then I just got lucky when a customer was putting in PoE and told me to throw away the Catalyst switch. I definitely wouldn't run my network on a retired PC anymore, even just on power consumption alone.

The less important things though I'm willing to play on still because I find it fun to take on a challenge and troubleshooting usually gives me a better understanding of the technology.

I still know people who insist on running their Minecraft server on their old Prescott P4 just because it's around, and that's of course crazy.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

wolrah posted:

I definitely wouldn't run my network on a retired PC anymore, even just on power consumption alone.

For real, My NAS is still a cast-off i3 htpc but only because it is rock steady. I ran the numbers once and found I was spending about $30 a month to run crap I wasn't using. No household switch should require a fan.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So I was looking for a drop cloth online and apparently I'm an idiot for using it to prevent paint spills, you should use it to make weird house umbrellas and curtains:

https://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Canvas-Cotton-Drop-Cloth/dp/B00TIXP6EU

ByAngon November 15, 2015
Verified Purchase
Perfect for my patio, perfect outdoor curtains!

Wow! This is a lot of canvas fabric! ...
ByDROUSEon March 28, 2015
Verified Purchase
Wow! This is a lot of canvas fabric! I'm using them to make curtains. So I washed and dried them as suggested from a previous review. They come out a lot smaller. But still plenty of material for what I need. Now I ironed one drop cloth for 2 hours if that tells you anything! I'm going to paint them and line them. We'll see how it goes.

(blah blah use it as a tarp attached to a house)

5.0 out of 5 starsTe perfect drop cloth to use as a tablecloth
ByE. KIRKHAMon March 13, 2017
Verified Purchase
I love this drop cloth. I have purchased many drop cloths to use as outdoor tablecloths for winery events and this one is the best by far. It is medium weight (10 ounces) so not as heavy as some of the others that I've purchased. The seam runs length wise, evenly down the middle. It is stitched with a reddish brown thread which I like. It makes a nice decorative detail on the "tablecloth." The hems are likewise stitched with the same thread. This is the most stylish cloth we've found. I'm purchasing these for all of our outdoor tables.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bozart posted:

So I was looking for a drop cloth online and apparently I'm an idiot for using it to prevent paint spills, you should use it to make weird house umbrellas and curtains:

https://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Canvas-Cotton-Drop-Cloth/dp/B00TIXP6EU

ByAngon November 15, 2015
Verified Purchase
Perfect for my patio, perfect outdoor curtains!

Wow! This is a lot of canvas fabric! ...
ByDROUSEon March 28, 2015
Verified Purchase
Wow! This is a lot of canvas fabric! I'm using them to make curtains. So I washed and dried them as suggested from a previous review. They come out a lot smaller. But still plenty of material for what I need. Now I ironed one drop cloth for 2 hours if that tells you anything! I'm going to paint them and line them. We'll see how it goes.

(blah blah use it as a tarp attached to a house)

5.0 out of 5 starsTe perfect drop cloth to use as a tablecloth
ByE. KIRKHAMon March 13, 2017
Verified Purchase
I love this drop cloth. I have purchased many drop cloths to use as outdoor tablecloths for winery events and this one is the best by far. It is medium weight (10 ounces) so not as heavy as some of the others that I've purchased. The seam runs length wise, evenly down the middle. It is stitched with a reddish brown thread which I like. It makes a nice decorative detail on the "tablecloth." The hems are likewise stitched with the same thread. This is the most stylish cloth we've found. I'm purchasing these for all of our outdoor tables.
"9 x 12 All Purpose Canvas Cotton Drop Cloth":colbert:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are those large metal blades fixed, to act as shears in combination with the chain blades?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

Are those large metal blades fixed, to look badass in combination with the chain blades?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Toronto man builds slapdash stairs in public park without plans or footings for $550, somehow comes in under $65,000 city estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Link for people with real computers