Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Liar Lyre posted:

Kong is incredibly bright and stylized and just fun. The director Jordan Vogt-Roberts was heavily inspired by anime and video games and it shows. It's a better anime movie than movies based on actual animes.

In case Anime and Video Games makes you want to watch a movie less, don't let it. It is a pitch perfect execution on the vision of a Hollywood blockbuster. It's the sister film to 2014's Godzilla, and they took a lot of the criticism of it's predecessor to heart. It's main characters, Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson, aren't really that exciting or memorable. But surrounding them are John Goodman, Samuel L. Jackson, and the movie's MVP John C. Riley, and numerous warm bodies (of varying degrees of likability) who are only there to be hosed up. And is told in the stylish backdrop of the Vietnam war, and the actual Skull Island they're in is positively gorgeous (and if Best Buys were still the juggernaut they were, then stepping into one you would see first thing a TV playing this on loop). And aside from setting up an eventual King Kong vs. Godzilla film, it's only purpose is to show the various ways you can gently caress up a person in a PG-13 rated film.

It isn't the best film, but it is exceptionally competent, not something that everyone in Hollywood is making, and a completely solid way to spend 2 hours, I highly recommend to anyone who can enjoy a blockbuster style action film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it sounds great poo poo I'm going to try to track down the UHD. Thanks guys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

morestuff posted:

Is there a good transfer of Suspiria around? The one on Prime looks like total dogshit

Synapse Films has been working on it for a while and the release date has been pushed back about 90 times. Keep an eye on them, I guess.

The last updates on the project were in March: http://synapse-films.com/news/suspiria-comparison-pictures/

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 20, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God drat you guys are going a long way towards convincing me to blind-buy Kong.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Get Multiple Maniacs instead. That has a giant monster in it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Synapse is premiering their 4K restoration of Suspiria at the Fantasia Film Festival this year, though there's no ETA for the Blu-ray in sight.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Probably going to be in the top 10 movies I've seen this year, maybe top 5.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/w3VLAFf.gifv

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

When did David Koechner get so skinny?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was Kong a good watch in 3D or not worth bothering? Feels like it has the potential to be fun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I still don't know how all those choppers and a chinook fit on that ship.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Release dates for GKids' reissues of the Ghibli library:

Oct. 17: Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away
Oct. 24: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

They're going to be dual format, have both proper subtitles and "dubtitles" in English, all extras from the Japanese editions, and English dubs in addition to the original Japanese. The rest of the Ghibli films will follow early next year, except for Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises since the rights haven't lapsed from current distributors (Manga Entertainment and Disney, respectively).

Also, Universal has a bunch of Amazon and Best Buy exclusives coming up.

Amazon (Sept 5): Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Fletch Lives,
Best Buy (Aug 8): Problem Child, BASEketball

Sony will be releasing North (lol) and The Bitter Tea of General Yen as part of their BD-R "Choice Collection"

Strange Days is getting a UK release on Sept. 25

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lol I was going through my DVDs last night and decided to toss out BASEketball. Maybe I'll replace it with a bluray. Love that dumb movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hahaha wow, did North ever even get a DVD release? I could have sworn it was VHS only until now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hahaha wow, did North ever even get a DVD release? I could have sworn it was VHS only until now.

It was a MOD DVD-R.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Egbert Souse posted:

Release dates for GKids' reissues of the Ghibli library:

Oct. 17: Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away
Oct. 24: Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

They're going to be dual format, have both proper subtitles and "dubtitles" in English, all extras from the Japanese editions, and English dubs in addition to the original Japanese. The rest of the Ghibli films will follow early next year, except for Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises since the rights haven't lapsed from current distributors (Manga Entertainment and Disney, respectively).

How egregious are the dubtitles in the Disney releases? I'm not sure i want to spend money replacing the Ghibli stuff I already have but the "I know that what I have isn't the best release" bug will probably get me at some point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does GKids also have the rights to Castle of Cagliostro?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does GKids also have the rights to Castle of Cagliostro?

no, Discotek does

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think I'm gonna wait for the GKids versions now instead of getting the Disney versions. Glad I didn't go all out when I had the chance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

How egregious are the dubtitles in the Disney releases? I'm not sure i want to spend money replacing the Ghibli stuff I already have but the "I know that what I have isn't the best release" bug will probably get me at some point.

Princess Mononoke had both SDH and regular subtitles in English. Given that the English dub scripts, at least in the Disney era, were approved by Ghibli, I don't know how off they are.

The only odd thing I noticed so far was a cat in The Cat Returns being voiced by a male, while a female did his/her voice in the Japanese track.

Mononoke's subtitles seem correct since the subtitles referred to the wolves as female, while the Japanese track has male voices (an obscurity of Japanese mythology).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The only odd thing I noticed so far was a cat in The Cat Returns being voiced by a male, while a female did his/her voice in the Japanese track.

[Super deep, flat Phil Hartman voice] KIKIII!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mononoke still has the dumb "donkey piss" line at least, I believe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently the Japanese voice of Moro in Princess Mononoke was a drag queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0rRnHzwUec

I did kind of enjoy that it was an other-worldly effect and male voice in the Japanese and was a little let down that they used a woman with little or no effects in the US dub

The Korean voice is hilarious

edit: are the Gkids releases using the Disney dubs? I don't really care myself but I'd like to get them with dubs anyways for the nephews and nieces

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive just confirmed they're releasing Night Moves (the 1975 Arthur Penn/Gene Hackman film). New 4K restoration from the camera negative.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If Gkids is re-releasing all the Ghibli movies maybe the Disney versions will go cheaper than $10.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unmature posted:

[Super deep, flat Phil Hartman voice] KIKIII!

I like Phil Hartman but god what was he thinking

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner Archive just confirmed they're releasing Night Moves (the 1975 Arthur Penn/Gene Hackman film). New 4K restoration from the camera negative.

that movie loving rules

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema just announced a 90th anniversary edition of Metropolis...

Eureka Online Store exclusive: http://po.st/PxI5iD (will ship worldwide, but Region B locked)

Includes the 2010 restoration (Blu), 1984 Moroder cut (Blu), and the 2001 restoration (DVD) with all the extras on the existing prior editions, plus a 100 page book.

Also, Kino started their sale on the Studio Classics site:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/klsclaunchsale

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: SE and Barton Fink were lowered from $20 to $17.97 each.

Most other Blu-Rays are now between $8-12 each.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So is this Kino release of TGTBTU finally "the one" for that movie because I feel like I've seen a million different releases that totally fix all of the previous problems. I had thought the only perceived issue with the current Man With No Name trilogy set was the mono audio on the early releases.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fitting how that post comes after a post for Metropolis which suffers the same fate lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

So is this Kino release of TGTBTU finally "the one" for that movie because I feel like I've seen a million different releases that totally fix all of the previous problems. I had thought the only perceived issue with the current Man With No Name trilogy set was the mono audio on the early releases.

They're pretty much going through a grocery list of issues with past releases and fixing them...

Both the 166 US and 179 extended cuts are included from 4K
Color has been re-timed to be more accurate
Original English and Italian mono tracks on both cuts, as well as the English 5.1 remix.
Original United Artists logo intact
All extras from previous releases, plus a new commentary on the shorter cut by Tim Lucas, extra deleted scenes, and a few other things.

The only caveat is that their reconstruction of the 166 min. cut was assembled from the 4K of the extended cut, so there's roughly 10 seconds of extra footage over the original US cut.

I already pre-ordered GBU from Amazon, so I'm picking up The Shiek, Zaza, Gog 3-D, and Daredevils of the Red Circle. They need all the support they can get on the silents, 3-D restorations, and serials since they're probably not as commercially popular as the action/sci-fi films.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Fitting how that post comes after a post for Metropolis which suffers the same fate lol

Same. With Metropolis I feel like I just gotta keep waiting, then buy the Game Of The Year Edition that comes with all the DLC

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drat Kino puts out so much good stuff. Has anyone seen A Kiss Before Dying? Worth a blind buy if I like Ira Levin?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Are these Kino blu rays typically region 1 or regionless? I can't really tell by looking at the website.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What would have really made it definitive is including the 1928 US cut and the complete Argentinean print. They scanned the uncut print complete since that's how they re-conformed the entire film to the original cut. However, that print also uses 100% domestic negative footage, while the restoration mainly uses the export negative since that's what survive in best condition.

Basebf555 posted:

Are these Kino blu rays typically region 1 or regionless? I can't really tell by looking at the website.

The Studio Classics line (stuff licensed from MGM, Fox, Paramount, and Disney) are usually Region A locked.

I think they only go all region for stuff they have independent licenses for.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 21, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

The Studio Classics line (stuff licensed from MGM, Fox, Paramount, and Disney) are usually Region A locked.

I think they only go all region for stuff they have independent licenses for.

I'm in region A so I'm fine with that, I was more worried about some region B stuff being mixed in. Like Black Sabbath for instance, I can't believe that's only $10 right now but I'm afraid it's Region B.

As you can tell I'm really uneducated about this stuff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sir Lemming posted:

Same. With Metropolis I feel like I just gotta keep waiting, then buy the Game Of The Year Edition that comes with all the DLC

Masters of Cinema is usually a decent company but they are really taking the piss with Metropolis.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm buying that Metropolis bluray, and picked up GoodBadUggo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Masters of Cinema is usually a decent company but they are really taking the piss with Metropolis.

They'll sell every single copy.

Not too big of a deal since it helps pay for stuff that'll probably take ten years to sell out like Lubitsch in Berlin.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Egbert Souse posted:

They'll sell every single copy.

Not too big of a deal since it helps pay for stuff that'll probably take ten years to sell out like Lubitsch in Berlin.

Oh yeah I already ordered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know when that Kino Lorber sale ends?

• Locked thread