Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeez, putting The Lovers immediately after Less Than is a crazy contrast that makes Less Than seem even worse than before.

e: Also, okay, The Lovers could totally pass for a HTDA track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:pcgaming: Not Anymore :pcgaming:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

e: Also, okay, The Lovers could totally pass for a HTDA track.
Actually, poo poo, so could The Background World. As a huge fan of HTDA, I dig the gently caress out of this direction. Omg.

e: Hahaha, what if NIN had performed this entire song for Twin Peaks instead of She's Gone Away? Jesus.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 20, 2017

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

The show tonight was pretty good. Don't really care for one of the new songs, burning bright. I'm not sure if it was the terrible acoustics or distortion but I couldn't understand a single lyric.

He did do a David Bowie cover as a tribute, "I can't give everything away. " I was hoping to get I'm afraid of Americans instead.

Tomorrow, I'll take a pic of the poster they were giving everyone if you are interested.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

diremonk posted:

The show tonight was pretty good. Don't really care for one of the new songs, burning bright. I'm not sure if it was the terrible acoustics or distortion but I couldn't understand a single lyric.

Well that is basically how the studio version is.

EDIT: also I can't imagine what that Bowie cover would sound like, it's definitely not one of Bowie's NIN-ready songs. Far from it. Will have to check out a video I guess.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 20, 2017

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

That last tracks ending, bleh. Least there's a gap of silence so it can be easily edited into a normal length song. That aside this is pretty cool. Oddly mixed and maybe a bit excessively despairing (which is kind of an odd thing to say since that is what TR does but, it's true).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I actually like The Background World's ending. The incomplete beat is like dystopian prog, and getting scratchier with each iteration reminds me of some classic industrial. It's like a more structured version of the noise segment in The Great Destroyer bred with some of the rougher stuff on Fixed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At first I was wondering if the vinyl version would do an infinite loop at the end (like Sgt. Pepper) but since there's a deliberate increase of distortion as it goes on, maybe not.

EDIT: Or he could go super artsy and somehow engineer the groove in such a way that it accelerates the damage done by the needle in that section.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 20, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Background World's ending doesn't really make for good listening, but it's obviously meant to be thematic more than melodic, so I can forgive it. It's obviously not an accident that it's repeating over and over and over, the distinct loop slowly turning into featureless audio mush.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Man, Not Anymore has such a weird loving structure...yet I love it.

diremonk posted:

He did do a David Bowie cover as a tribute, "I can't give everything away. " I was hoping to get I'm afraid of Americans instead.

There's a picture of the setlist going around and he cut She's Gone Away/Somewhat Damaged off the encore. Bummer for you. Somewhat Damaged is a really fun song live.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 20, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

pretty sure the reason the loop at the end of Backround World is so awkward, with that little gap in it, is because its the only way that Trent could think of to make music that disturbs people in 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Earwicker posted:

pretty sure the reason the loop at the end of Backround World is so awkward, with that little gap in it, is because its the only way that Trent could think of to make music that disturbs people in 2017

what was that old thing manson said? the most shocking thing he could do is lose the makeup, grow a big beard and release an acoustic album under his real name

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is really sad and wonderful :gbsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cIq3yU9D6w

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

what was that old thing manson said? the most shocking thing he could do is lose the makeup, grow a big beard and release an acoustic album under his real name

I would buy this album most likely

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Man, Not Anymore has such a weird loving structure...yet I love it.

There's a picture of the setlist going around and he cut She's Gone Away/Somewhat Damaged off the encore. Bummer for you. Somewhat Damaged is a really fun song live.

Yeah, I was bummed that Somewhat Damaged wasn't played. Would have liked to have seen Heresy again but overall it was a good show other than two dumbasses getting into an argument a couple rows over and the usual people screaming their love for Trent/Robin/light board guy during Hurt.

The Bowie cover sounds nothing like the original version, was kind of a shift going from Gave Up to it.

Here's what the free poster they gave out when the show let out, my girlfriend thought that they all look like they are in prison.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Good to know Robin's still master of the "this bores me and I don't want to be here" face

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I love that the loop at the end of The Background World literally seems calculated down to the millisecond to end at the most awkward time possible. Not even being sarcastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wish the end of The Background World just looped for several minutes with no pause in between each loop. Then I’d probably dig that repetition more than I do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wish the end of The Background World just looped for several minutes with no pause in between each loop. Then I’d probably dig that repetition more than I do.

Get thee the wav files and open up Audacity.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think the whole point is that its supposed to sound broken and wrong.

what is interesting is that the more distortion and noise is added to it, the more pleasant it becomes, it gets evened out like its being hit with a sandblaster

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Earwicker posted:

i think the whole point is that its supposed to sound broken and wrong.

I mean, this might as well be the thread title. Par for the course with ol' Trent

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone is saying he didn't mean to do it, just that they don't like it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't think anyone is saying he didn't mean to do it, just that they don't like it.

sure, but itd be kind of weird to actually go in and edit it to make it sound more "listenable"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Studio version of the remix of I Can't Give Everything Away that was uploaded 7 months ago ( :eyepop: )

https://soundcloud.com/thisisthenumbernineteen

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Earwicker posted:

what is interesting is that the more distortion and noise is added to it, the more pleasant it becomes, it gets evened out like its being hit with a sandblaster
This is exactly right.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eagerly awaiting the revelation that the skips each contain a segment of an image embedded in it, and you need to isolate and splice all the skips together to see the full image.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

and that image, of course, is the red robe

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
There are numbers in the spectrogram.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ooh ooh is it an IP address

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Could be coincidence though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leon Einstein posted:

Could be coincidence though.
Aw man, if only it was 430
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G-x_jfddis

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was looking at the NIN wiki page for Not The Actual Events, and they label one of the cover variants as being from the "corrected early 2017 digital files ". Anyone know what exactly was "corrected" there? Now I'm curious as to what's wrong with the files I have, ha.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, that's an astute way to put it. Good call.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok I did a closeup enhanced spektral analyzation of one of the gaps in the outro of Background World and there is definitely a secret message

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I think The Background World is the coolest song he's done in years. Weird skipping loop and all.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

no its not

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 21, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ignoring the horrible, no good, played out meme, it kinda looks like there's letters in there....

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dickbutt is a wonderful meme and poised for a comeback just wait

(also its definitely just static in those gaps)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Earwicker posted:

dickbutt is a wonderful meme and poised for a comeback just wait

(also its definitely just static in those gaps)

There's a spectrogram on Reddit that has what appear to be numbers. Not sure how zoomed in it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

There's a spectrogram on Reddit that has what appear to be numbers. Not sure how zoomed in it is though.

you mean this?

https://imgur.com/a/EK36n#c6njKqX

I really dont get how you are seeing numbers in that image

edit: ok I see it now but I think its a stretch

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 21, 2017