Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should watch Fire Walk With Me first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ this (and the Missing Pieces!)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pigdog posted:

Just binged through the original Twin Peaks which I remember being a pretty big deal back in the day, but I was too little to see or care.

The first season is actually pretty drat good television, but hot drat does the whole thing drive off a friggin cliff in Season 2. I've never seen a good and promising TV series turn to complete rear end this fast. :barf:

Now to see the new revival.

The second season is not all that bad. I think the first half of it is still good (not S1 good, though), than it really goes downhill, but there are some decent episodes by the end

edit: vvvv yeah that seems about right

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 19, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

The second season is not all that bad. I think the first half of it is still good (not S1 good, though), than it really goes downhill, but there are some decent episodes by the end

I'm rewatching it myself now as well. So far at the beginning of S1 and of course it's great. I've seen it before as an adult too but it's been long enough that I don't remember many specific details. The reviews for the new season are pretty good so I'm hoping to just power through any of the shittier parts of S2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also mentally prepare yourself for the thread if you venture in there because it's filled with people that think they can "figure out" a Lynch show as if it's an episode of Murder She Wrote.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Spent the last week working my way through Hannibal. About 2/3rds through season 2 now.

Good God this show is good. I shouldn't have expected less but some of the murders are absolutely gruesome. Sad to see there are only 3 seasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the glass half full side, it got 3 seasons !

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I'm actually amazed some of this gore was allowed on network tv let alone for 3 whole seasons!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

NBC didn't have any problem with the gore, they complained about seeing bare butts and naked bodies in classic paintings of all things.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Networks are a mixture of coke sniffing anal fisting capitalists, controlled by 1 Amish censor.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

NBC didn't have any problem with the gore, they complained about seeing bare butts and naked bodies in classic paintings of all things.

Then they allowed a lesbian love scene so long as it was mostly obscured/concealed by a kaleidoscope effect.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Ta-da!

They also had to cover up rear end cracks with blood here because clearly that's the problematic part:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Then they allowed a lesbian love scene so long as it was mostly obscured/concealed by a kaleidoscope effect.

Do you have a source for this? I loved that effect and thought it was entirely intentional.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

mobby_6kl posted:

They also had to cover up rear end cracks with blood here because clearly that's the problematic part:

There it is, that's censorship.jpg right there.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Like badass heists? A dysfunctional family dynamic? Ellen Barkin playing the most cruel and ruthless woman ever to grace TV?

Boy do I got a show for you. Watch Animal Kingdom.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkCrawler posted:

Like badass heists? A dysfunctional family dynamic? Ellen Barkin playing the most cruel and ruthless woman ever to grace TV?

Watch the movie too

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I really enjoyed the first season of this quite a while ago. It looks like the second season is still airing?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah, it's probably half way through the second season. I didn't know which direction this season was going to go but overall so far so good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Good show, very good show.

World's hottest drug dealer in the first season for bonus points.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched the first episode of Ozark on Netflix. Certainly enough there to keep watching. Plus Laura Linney is an awesome actress.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Was just about to ask about Ozark. The review I read made it sound kinda dull, but I do agree that Laura Linney is awesome and might make it worth checking out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Laura Linney hasn't done anything good since John Adams and that was almost 10 years ago

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

Laura Linney hasn't done anything good since John Adams and that was almost 10 years ago

Have you seen her performance in the Warren Harding movie?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only the trailer, but I assume she was statuesque as always.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I'm up through episode 4 and I'm really enjoying it. It gave off some Breaking Bad vibes at first, but it's become its own thing quickly

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just started with Casual. Not quite prestige-level but pretty fun so far and fills the need to watch fuckups do horrible stuff to make myself feel better.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Watched the entire 1st season of the korean drama Let's Eat, and I really liked it! There was a cute dog, romance, food, mystery, murder! It had everything.

Also watching Great British Baking Show and it rules.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Having a blast watching Season 3 of Vikings right now. I still can't believe how they are able to stretch this out to 4 seasons so far despite not a lot of plot. Everytime I tell myself I'm wasting my time with this show, Travis Fimmel as Ragnar comes through and delights me with his insane head gestures. loving pretty great for a show that looked poo poo.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Apparently Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is now on Hulu. Worth mentioning as it was my favourite show last year (ahead of Stranger Things, which I also loved) and very bingable, but was apparently was hard to find in the US (it's on Netflix in Europe).

It's a mostly self-contained 8 episode series. For the first few episodes a lot of it seems quite random and all over the place, but it all makes sense by the end. Although "sense" might not be the right word for it... it all ties together at the end and doesn't feel like they're winging it. They're making a second season at the moment. One caveat I'd add is that the titular character is aggressively obnoxiously annoying, especially towards the start of the run, but (non-plot spoilers) there are reasons for this and it is somewhat intentional and as you find out more about the character he becomes somewhat endearing despite this.

Max Landis can be pretty hit and miss, and fairly annoying himself at times, but more than anything else I've seen that he's been involved in, this really plays to his strengths. I think it will still be a love it or hate it show for most people though.

For fans of the books, while the characters and the overall plot of the first season are vaguely based on the first book, it isn't really an adaptation beyond the concept, the central mystery sharing a lot of the same plot points and a few specific scenes here and there. The overall tone of the show is very different, there are major characters (including a holistic assassin and factions that aren't from the books and the bigger-picture of what's going on is totally it's own thing that sets it up nicely for future seasons.

It's fairly gruesome at times, but more in a fun Edgar Wright kind of way than a gritty Game of Thrones kind of way. The tone and characters always reminded me a little bit of Psych, by way of the more outlandish comedy/gimmick episodes of Fringe and X-files.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 24, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

Having a blast watching Season 3 of Vikings right now. I still can't believe how they are able to stretch this out to 4 seasons so far despite not a lot of plot. Everytime I tell myself I'm wasting my time with this show, Travis Fimmel as Ragnar comes through and loving delights me with his insane head gestures. loving pretty great for a show that looked poo poo.

My favorite poo poo is when Ragnar or somebody rolls their eyes so hard they do a loving backflip. Vikings had no poker faces.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

AngryBooch posted:

My favorite poo poo is when Ragnar or somebody rolls their eyes so hard they do a loving backflip. Vikings had no poker faces.

The Floki character, Ragnar's friend since the start with the Goth face-paint, is the most mental. I don't know how he keeps acting like he has tourette's for 4 seasons and no other Viking warrior has called him on it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He called himself on it when he expressed fear that his child might have the same mental condition. Nobody else cares because he builds the boats and siege engines and chariots.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gravy Jones posted:

For fans of the books, while the characters and the overall plot of the first season are vaguely based on the first book, it isn't really an adaptation beyond the concept, the central mystery sharing a lot of the same plot points and a few specific scenes here and there. The overall tone of the show is very different, there are major characters (including a holistic assassin and factions that aren't from the books and the bigger-picture of what's going on is totally it's own thing that sets it up nicely for future seasons.

Dirk Gently got sooo much undeserved poo poo for not following the books closely enough. I read the descriptions on wikipedia and I'm sure Douglas Adams dialogue would have salvaged it but what I read there was pure traaaaash. Like who would want THAT adapted to film?? I just don't get the backlash. The show was straight up delightful, there isn't really another way to put it. Everything about it was great, I loved the casting and the way they revealed(and didn't reveal) the world building stuff.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bring back old gbs posted:

Dirk Gently got sooo much undeserved poo poo for not following the books closely enough. I read the descriptions on wikipedia and I'm sure Douglas Adams dialogue would have salvaged it but what I read there was pure traaaaash. Like who would want THAT adapted to film?? I just don't get the backlash. The show was straight up delightful, there isn't really another way to put it. Everything about it was great, I loved the casting and the way they revealed(and didn't reveal) the world building stuff.

I didnt even knew it was based on books when I watched and I found it tons of fun

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

He called himself on it when he expressed fear that his child might have the same mental condition. Nobody else cares because he builds the boats and siege engines and chariots.

He goes to axe and shield fights with a a bad attitude and a knife.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Funny, this Ragnar idiot made me stop watching Vikings.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Klaaz posted:

Funny, this Ragnar idiot made me stop watching Vikings.

I also found Ragnar very annoying at first, but then I started to like him and his mannerisms and crazy looks

What made me give up on the Vikings was that I found the second half of the last season very boring. It just wanst working anymore

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just skip to the last couple episodes for the huge battle and the introduction to the new villain. There's also another blood eagle in there somewhere and those are always worth watching.

Lagertha has to be like 65 years old by now. Her non-aging is the most preposterous thing about the show.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Subbed to HBONow for GoT, decided to check out Silicon Valley. Ended up really liking it, but the constant one step forward, two steps back is incredibly annoying. Still though, it's consistently pretty funny and I'm looking forward to the new season. Also watched the first season of the Americans. Also really enjoyed it. I have a soft spot for Cold War spy poo poo though. I'll be starting season 2 this week probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hamsystem posted:

Also watched the first season of the Americans. Also really enjoyed it. I have a soft spot for Cold War spy poo poo though. I'll be starting season 2 this week probably.

Speaking of which, I've finally finished season three of The Americans. And holy poo poo, the first few episodes of season four are going to be insane! I mean, Paige has spilled the beans to pastor Tim, and Philip seems to be losing it a bit, after faking the FBI IT guy's suicide.
:aaa: Can't wait for season four to be available down here in Australia - gotta see how it all pans out...