Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Bad-dick Rough-gently caress.

I honestly can't believe how much time and effort he seems to be putting into doing anything but writing, editing, or talking about Book 3. Special edition of 1, writing for failing Kickstarter games, answering fan questions about how cool and good he is at things, etc... I don't know why people still follow him so closely or regard themselves as genuine fans.

That's probably the most embarrassing part of him being a new media big time fantasy author. Where as 20, even 10 years ago you'd just expect to go years without seeing a new book from your favorite author and its just something you live with now you can track his life in real time from his social media and project involvements and genuinely think he's not writing anything for book 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
If he drags it out long enough maybe Brandon Sanderson can finish the trilogy for him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have a feeling he is actually done with the majority of the book, but its so rough and bad that the publisher is sitting on it until all the other wells dry up before releasing it. Which is probably gonna happen pretty quickly once Game of Thrones ends and HBO moves back to Sci-Fi or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It'll be another 5 years minimum before that happens. His publisher should invest in a ghostwriter.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

pentyne posted:

That's probably the most embarrassing part of him being a new media big time fantasy author. Where as 20, even 10 years ago you'd just expect to go years without seeing a new book from your favorite author and its just something you live with now you can track his life in real time from his social media and project involvements and genuinely think he's not writing anything for book 3.

I think that's sort of it. Everything he does gives off the illusion that he's not working on Book 3, even if he is working on it. And like Solice Kirsk says, it's probably already done. But the fact that he won't even give a year, after the had already said IIRC 2015 after Wise Man's Fear, is just weird.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have a feeling he is actually done with the majority of the book, but its so rough and bad that the publisher is sitting on it until all the other wells dry up before releasing it. Which is probably gonna happen pretty quickly once Game of Thrones ends and HBO moves back to Sci-Fi or something.

There's also a bit of a chance that he's working on the TV adaptation of his own show, but I don't even know how serious that initial rights purchase was, or whether anything had been done with it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think a world without Doors of Stone would be a better place than one with it so I hope he never finishes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rothfuss made me some cash-money today so he is once again on my good list (until the money is spent).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Rothfuss is out 750k apparently according to Geek Chic's bankruptcy filing.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/19/15999728/geek-chic-bankruptcy-filing-documents-patrick-rothfuss

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The sad part is I totally loving believe he would spend over half a million on loving geek themed furniture.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

HIJK posted:

The sad part is I totally loving believe he would spend over half a million on loving geek themed furniture.

"Invest" not spend.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

HIJK posted:

He probably bought a bunch of geek-themed furniture for himself, but as far as I can tell, that $750k was invested. That means he thought there would be a significant enough market for personalized hand-crafted game-centric dining room tables priced around the same as used cars. I'm not necessarily happy that a company is closing, or that investors in that company are losing money. It's just funny that one of them is him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Jesus Christ that's straight out of the Nerd Crew.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

SpacePig posted:

He probably bought a bunch of geek-themed furniture for himself, but as far as I can tell, that $750k was invested. That means he thought there would be a significant enough market for personalized hand-crafted game-centric dining room tables priced around the same as used cars. I'm not necessarily happy that a company is closing, or that investors in that company are losing money. It's just funny that one of them is him.

Whats odd is the site says the furniture was "famously back-ordered" and that the queue often took like 6 months to get stuff... so sounds like maybe they just were pricing stuff poorly or something.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A buddy of mine is out several grand from the Geek Chic thing, so I sent him that article to offer some perspective on his loss.

quote:

Whats odd is the site says the furniture was "famously back-ordered" and that the queue often took like 6 months to get stuff... so sounds like maybe they just were pricing stuff poorly or something.

Word on the street is that a recent merger/acquisition is what sunk them and that the core business was profitable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SpacePig posted:

the fact that he won't even give a year, after the had already said IIRC 2015 after Wise Man's Fear, is just weird.

He said 2010 back in 2007.

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now. Book three will be a year or so after that.

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

TBH, Geek Chic was probably low balling a bit. Good furniture is expensive. Good furniture with built in gaming surfaces, extra drawers, etc is SUPER expensive.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

jivjov posted:

TBH, Geek Chic was probably low balling a bit. Good furniture is expensive. Good furniture with built in gaming surfaces, extra drawers, etc is SUPER expensive.

It's baffling that anyone thought there were enough tabletop gamers -- a niche of a niche hobby -- with deep enough pockets to support the company. Hell, not even; I've got six people in my tabletop group, and even if all of us could actually afford this furniture, the only person to buy it would be the one person who usually hosts game night. It's not like an entire gaming group all is gonna go out and buy multiple custom tables for their individual homes. (Getting gamers to buy multiple copies of a freaking rulebook is like pulling teeth, forget $6000 furniture.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I'm glad the village idiot returns every once in a while with a vacuous comment.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

There's also a bit of a chance that he's working on the TV adaptation of his own show, but I don't even know how serious that initial rights purchase was, or whether anything had been done with it.

He seems the type to spend time writing on a TV adaptation even if he hadn't gotten a TV series deal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

StonecutterJoe posted:

It's baffling that anyone thought there were enough tabletop gamers -- a niche of a niche hobby -- with deep enough pockets to support the company. Hell, not even; I've got six people in my tabletop group, and even if all of us could actually afford this furniture, the only person to buy it would be the one person who usually hosts game night. It's not like an entire gaming group all is gonna go out and buy multiple custom tables for their individual homes. (Getting gamers to buy multiple copies of a freaking rulebook is like pulling teeth, forget $6000 furniture.)

Must be hard to compete with two $20 folding tables pushed together...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

They were meant for rich tech nerds that had more money than they knew what to do with. The friend I mentioned lost like nine grand and to him it's an inconvenience instead of a financial catastrophe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paragon8 posted:

Rothfuss is out 750k apparently according to Geek Chic's bankruptcy filing.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/19/15999728/geek-chic-bankruptcy-filing-documents-patrick-rothfuss

I'd say that maybe he'll get working on the book to make up the money he's lost, but since Lionsgate(?) bought the movie/tv rights to Kingkiller that's going probably make him more money than farting out Doors of Stone.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd say that maybe he'll get working on the book to make up the money he's lost, but since Lionsgate(?) bought the movie/tv rights to Kingkiller that's going probably make him more money than farting out Doors of Stone.

Rothfuss posted:

"The book (Kingkiller Chronicles book three) is like a relationship. It continues to get shittier and shittier until its over."

Starts at 11:33.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW8efme5eSU&t=693s

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Maybe he just needs Adderall

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the related video title: "What women screwed you over so much that made you want to write Denna?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Patrick Rothfuss: "What a bitchin' Camero!"

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Reading the next book when it comes out (lawl) is going to be so weird. It's going to be like watching the last season of Dexter or something.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
He's hosed himself. There's obviously way too much plot and material outstanding to conclude the series in any satisfying manner.

It'll get weak reviews, "great prose, a pity the ending doesn't address any of those great ideas from The Name Of The Wind."

That means a follow-up trilogy, and who's going to bankroll that? He can promise that the first two books are virtually written already, but there's a large credibility problem.

The longer he leaves the release, the more publishers will be unwilling to provide the advance for the next series.

I suspect he'll publish a weak third book, then announce that all the answers to the outstanding questions will come through his TV work or other work. There's no further novels after Doors of Stone.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Trammel posted:

He's hosed himself. There's obviously way too much plot and material outstanding to conclude the series in any satisfying manner.

It'll get weak reviews, "great prose, a pity the ending doesn't address any of those great ideas from The Name Of The Wind."

That means a follow-up trilogy, and who's going to bankroll that? He can promise that the first two books are virtually written already, but there's a large credibility problem.

The longer he leaves the release, the more publishers will be unwilling to provide the advance for the next series.

I suspect he'll publish a weak third book, then announce that all the answers to the outstanding questions will come through his TV work or other work. There's no further novels after Doors of Stone.

This is some nice fan fiction, but is pretty far removed from what will really happen. It literally does not matter how lovely the third book is, assuming it ever comes out, it'll sell like gangbusters. Hell, there are people in this very thread that hate Rothfuss but will still buy a copy just to hateread it.

And at the end of the day, that's all the publishers care about. If Rothfuss wants to write a followup series, he'll get a big fat advance from someone (likely his current publisher, since I'm sure there's a clause in his current contract that gives them the right to first refusal). The catch, of course, is that Rothfuss has to want to write another series and be willing to sign a contract for it. I suspect his hubris will force him to do it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If Rothfuss gets a TV series out it literally doesn't matter if it takes him 18 years to write the next book, it'll get published along with anything else he ever comes up with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nakar posted:

If Rothfuss gets a TV series out it literally doesn't matter if it takes him 18 years to write the next book, it'll get published along with anything else he ever comes up with.

I don't know. I think once Game of Thrones ends people are gonna lose interest in fantasy TV shows again.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
His name is money. He won't get advanced as much for a new book series, sure, but there is no reason for a publisher not to make a deal with him. The upside for them is huge and the downside for them is still a big full page announcement that they just signed LEGENDARY AUTHOR PATRICK ROTHFUSS to a deal.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ccs posted:

I like the related video title: "What women screwed you over so much that made you want to write Denna?"

That video is amazing because Rothfuss ignores the very insightful question (that illustrates that he has totally bullshit notions of women) then tries to go on and claim that these books aren't heavily influenced by the fact that he did poo poo all at college and thinks it wasn't his fault and the system hosed him.

Also, are people really speculating about when the next book being finished? Weren't you listening in 2007 when he told us that it was already all written and all he needed to do was some revisions? I feel like this should really come up every time that someone talks about him writing anything. Like, it's such an astoundingly bullshit claim that my mind still can't be wrapped around it. Literally a decade ago he was claiming that all three books were finished, and he somehow hasn't been able to revise them between now and then?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

His name is money. He won't get advanced as much for a new book series, sure, but there is no reason for a publisher not to make a deal with him. The upside for them is huge and the downside for them is still a big full page announcement that they just signed LEGENDARY AUTHOR PATRICK ROTHFUSS to a deal.

not to mention that every author wants a Rothfuss blurb and the community will probably carry the 3rd book enough to be a commercial success.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Confound those Fuss boys! Oh, how I hate them! I hate Pat, I hate Rick, and I hate Roth! They drive me to drink!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/08/babies-meet-bast-auri-elodin-and-kvothe/

:barf: Auri is kinda an okay name but what loving monster names their child Kvothe.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

actually that's a dumb question given the number of people who named their daughters "Khaleesi"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ChickenWing posted:

actually that's a dumb question given the number of people who named their daughters "Khaleesi"

Did people not realize that "Khaleesi" is a title, not a name?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

jivjov posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yeah, that's the part that will set off the schoolyard bullies.

• Locked thread