Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Wtf kind of freak-show animal is that? First I thought naked cat, but the tail isn't right, then I thought some dog, but dog balls are usually one behind the other for walking purposes, or so I read, plus the skin looks really odd.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

My fav part of the Expanse is in book 3 when they change the pace and also the Deus Ex plotlines

That's where we're referring to the 'space magic'. You want Deus Ex Machina, Peter Hamilton is your writer. I swear he has word diarrhea and some has to tell him to wrap it up in the last hundred pages.

Hopper posted:

Wtf kind of freak-show animal is that? First I thought naked cat, but the tail isn't right, then I thought some dog, but dog balls are usually one behind the other for walking purposes, or so I read, plus the skin looks really odd.

Looks like the arse end of a Rex Sphynx.

AutismVaccine posted:

Monterey jack, drat you americanz. Can i use Gouda instead? or Edamer?

Jack is effectively a chedder with bits of chili in it, so it's a little bit of heat and texture.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 20, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hopper posted:

Sphinx kitty

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

That's a tax alright

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kromlech posted:

Sphincter kitty

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well cool, that was fun. Turns out my boss is much more forgiving of there being a high resolution picture of cat testicles on my computer than I would have previously imagined.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Well cool, that was fun. Turns out my boss is much more forgiving of there being a high resolution picture of cat testicles on my computer than I would have previously imagined.

This bears some exploration. Try him on other animal testicles.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

AutismVaccine posted:

I guess not, its kinda hard to sell here i guess. At least they dont try to write cheese on it :D

Interesting, will try that.

Grated mozzarella?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

If it was fish, could you claim it was research?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
The CarWars talks makes me remember Interstate 76 and thinking if someone tried to crowdfund a remake I'd pony up cash in a heartbeat. But Crobbers has taught me not to be a sucker for nostalgia.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If it was fish, could you claim it was research?

I dunno, lemme find out...

(USER WAS FIRED FOR THIS POST)

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Beet Wagon posted:

Might have a potential sex partner there

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

AutismVaccine posted:

I guess not, its kinda hard to sell here i guess. At least they dont try to write cheese on it :D

Interesting, will try that.

Havarti would make a good European swap-in for Jack.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

That's the dumbest "got ya!" in history and I bet his face can barely contain his smugness for having been 'clever' enough to come up with it lol.

Just tell him that he's such an annoying itch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I dunno, lemme find out...

(USER WAS FIRED FOR THIS POST)

If only you had invested in Star Citizen you could've gotten a sick return on investment and never have to work ever again!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Derek confirmed Stimperor, he is the worst kind of electricity, developer, and tweeter the world has ever know!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I guess i will try to get this havarti stuff at metro. Mozarella should also work i guess.

For heat i will just use a self made chilli paste from reapers. thx for the help everyone.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

AutismVaccine posted:

I guess i will try to get this havarti stuff at metro. Mozarella should also work i guess.

For heat i will just use a self made chilli paste from reapers. thx for the help everyone.

Mozzarella will not work. use Edam if you cant get Havarti.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gorf's infographic was an inside job :tinfoil:

e: timg'd. One of these days I'll figure out how to get imgur to stop upscaling everything I loving upload.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The posters are coming from inside the thread!

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

We had a live action show similar to ths today! At my morning standup meeting one of the bullpen doggos plopped down in the middle of the huddle and just started going to town on his doggo red rocket. We just asked if the Boss could top it, or if he wanted to admit defeat to the mighty beagle mix Samwise Gamgee.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Gorf's infographic was an inside job :tinfoil:

e: timg'd. One of these days I'll figure out how to get imgur to stop upscaling everything I loving upload.

Imgur shouldn't be upscaling, what are you taking the image with?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

We discussed this before and to date nobody has managed to figure out a way to get around the legal tactic that CIG uses to avoid court action, by sneakily refunding people whenever they ask.

It's not about getting around it. It's because nobody feels it's worth the money spent. If you have $1K in this, and you ask for a refund, and they give it; what are you suing for?

The only time I see lawsuits happening is when they stop doing refunds before the game is completed as promised.

Any lawsuits arising from this is going to come from either State of Fed officials, or investors and banks. I don't even think backer whales have the desire to pursue legal action (which would be arbitration anyway).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Percelus posted:

how does one become so emotionally invested in a bad crysis mod

Excellent customer service.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2141391-con-artists-took-me-for-a-ride-heres-how-to-protect-yourself/

Newscientist tends to paywall, so here's some relevant text;

quote:

Smooth skills
I am more intrigued by the smooth skills of con artists than ashamed of my victimisation and this intrigue led me to the study of psychopathy, a common condition among swindlers. With an attenuated capacity for guilt, psychopaths use any means to achieve their ends and have little understanding of the consequences.

As a graduate student in clinical psychology, I got to interview jail inmates, some of whom were lifelong con artists. The skilled cons often managed to deceive me, even as I expected their deception. How much more vulnerable to a skilled grifter are the unsuspecting or distracted?

Fortunately, we don’t need to become cynical or hypervigilant to decrease vulnerability, but rather to understand more about con artists and their methods, so we can see a scam for what it is as it is happening.

Whatever the context or the medium a con artist uses, there are ways to identify them. First, fraudsters tend to think a lot of themselves. While some people find braggadocio endearing or dismiss it as healthy confidence or benign insecurity, grandiosity is common in con artists and unabashed boasting should give you pause.

When a con artist is face-to-face with you, they don’t just speak; they create a disarming show that combines intense eye contact and fast-talking with dramatic facial expressions, rhythmic gestures and the charm of an easy smile. As a stranger on the street, they may disorient you by approaching in an overly sudden manner with unearned familiarity: “Hey there – you are going to love this!”

Disarming flattery
In a job interview or on a date the con artist sprinkles in plenty of disarming flattery. They make vague references to assumed commonality, creating the enticing illusion that you are on the inside of something special: “Most people cannot see the potential, but I knew right away that you do.”

Your emotional reactions to all this might include bemusement, unease, confusion and excitement. Notice your reaction. It is your cue to take a breath and a step back.

The con counts on a show to distract you. Instead, grounded and aware of your own feelings, focus on words alone. Rather than nuanced and measured, they are peppered with superlatives, like “tremendous”. The con artist might contradict themselves – it is hard for them to keep track of what they have said. Uncoupled from their crackling confidence, their claims raise questions.

If someone says they have authored over 300 publications, why don’t they turn up in a search? If they say they are rich and have a promising new patent, why did they ask for money? If they own a mountain… wait, who owns a mountain? As the validity of the story falls apart, note that the individual communicating with you isn’t just charming, amusing and eccentric, but potentially dangerous.

When you see it this way, you can move on quickly. They will too.

fargom posted:

We had a live action show similar to ths today! At my morning standup meeting one of the bullpen doggos plopped down in the middle of the huddle and just started going to town on his doggo red rocket. We just asked if the Boss could top it, or if he wanted to admit defeat to the mighty beagle mix Samwise Gamgee.

Are you supposed to tip the dog or something?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's not about getting around it. It's because nobody feels it's worth the money spent. If you have $1K in this, and you ask for a refund, and they give it; what are you suing for?

Yes exactly. Moma actively tries to misunderstand the point that if they give you your money back the issue is resolved without the need for legal action, so I make that joke when he does it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I was expecting to read a bit more about 64b issues but all I got was :chloe:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Imgur shouldn't be upscaling, what are you taking the image with?

Just prtscrn and pasting that poo poo into paint. Imgur says the resolution is the same, so it's probably just that I'm a moron lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

Pantheon is its own trainwreck, though. Mods banning gay people, money going directly to "back pay" Brad McQuiad, Unity assets incorrectly implemented, a single class made just for Brad, paying a monthly subscription to access forums, a weird family of ultra conservative Christians building the game and that's all just the tip of the loving iceberg.

Although I wish Chris would pull a Brad and try to come here to hawk his game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=207941

Sounds horrible.

Mods need to convert this subforum section into a place for all the gaming trainwrecks as they are happening. I think we've grown beyond just Star Citizen and I'd love to bash all this poo poo developers trying to play cash in with their various games.

Rename it to: Gaming Trainwrecks: Derek Was Right About Them All

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Yes exactly. Moma actively tries to misunderstand the point that if they give you your money back the issue is resolved without the need for legal action, so I make that joke when he does it.

Right.

Also, it has to be noted that when (not if) this whole thing collapses, backers would be suing to get hold of the financials, as that was promised in the ToS. I have no reason to believe that CIG would release that without a fight. And they can't cook the books because then that would be fraud, and the backer can still sue to have forensics accounting done. Which is what I had offered to pay for back in 2015. But Ortwin basically told me to piss off, and that backers can see how the money was being spent - from the website.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Just prtscrn and pasting that poo poo into paint. Imgur says the resolution is the same, so it's probably just that I'm a moron lol

:shrug: Could just be a huge resolution because of prt sc

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

Try snipping tool, it's pretty cool

Don't know if it'll help your resolution issues though

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Beet Wagon posted:

Download Greenshot. It's the poo poo.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Paste it into IrfanView. It's a very good nice little imaging app.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God drat, y'all are handy with the screenshot app recommendations.

I could also just try to remember to scale them down myself instead of being a loving imbecile lol.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

zcrow posted:

Download Greenshot. It's the poo poo.

It is unequivocally the poo poo. It might seem like yet another utility you need to remember to get for a computer to be usable but trust us. Use it for a bit and it'll be worth the effort of installing it every time several times over.

It's screenshot editor is my goto for quick image editing, even stuff I didn't screen shot.

Built-in upload to imgur.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol so I guess Shroud of the Avatar decided to make a deal with the block chain

Lord British Joins Forces With NEVERDIE

quote:

"We are devout believers that people living in and contributing to our virtual worlds can and should earn real world value for the time and value they bring to our world,” said Garriott, Portalarium’s CEO and Shroud’s creative director. “Having direct access to a publicly tradeable currency is a great way to provide this. I’m also extremely pleased to be invited to advise Neverdie on this exciting and ambitious project. Additionally, Shroud of the Avatar already has a deeply committed player base while in early access. We are exploring how our players can earn market based value with NEVERDIE NDC and TPT tokens that are both useable directly in the game as well as traded on the open market.
I thought this was a joke, but no: it's real.

Countdown to Roberts having a virtual block chain currency partner....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's going to look very "military" like a repurposed Army truck.

Favored by smugglers and militias alike, the Aegis Tumbril represents the civilian line of Aegis 797B multirole surface vehicles, nicknamed "Chow Hounds." The 797B is a rugged and reliable workhorse, with variants suited to many different tasks, such as low profile infiltration/exfiltration, CSAR, and ammo transport. Shortly after being adopted as a stealth troop transport by the UEE, military commanders noted that it excelled in many different roles and it became the chief ground transport vehicle for the entire UEE Surfaceside Military. Civilians have long purchased surplussed "Ammo-Wagon" variants to use as ore-haulers, due to the unique functionality of the self-contained ammunition buckets, designed to limit collateral damage from ammunition explosions. Now, Aegis brings you an upgraded version ready for the rough and tumble civilian life anywhere in the Verse. The Aegis Tumbril comes in several equipment packages, with many upgrade kits available to customize this versatile and stealthy hauler.