Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

JcDent posted:

Re: Shermans and Death traps

So Ronson ads where a thing before the war!

While a lack of advertising is usually used to shut down the "Shermans were called Ronsons because they burst into flame at the slightest poke" argument, this is more to do with the proponents of said arguments being so heavily armored against logic that any argument save impossibility is useless. Finding such an ad (although not that it does not use the precise "first time every time" wording that is always used when making the Ronson claim) does not address the core problems with the argument.

The biggest flaw in the argument (apart from a complete and total lack of contemporary evidence of the nickname - the closest thing to confirmation is a second-hand rumor that Montgomery was considering ordering a ban on the nickname, which only seems to appear in significantly post-war accounts) is that Ronsons were the Rolex of lighters, used primarily by wealthier people. Nicknames given by soldiers virtually never involved high-end items of that sort, generally sticking to the sort of brands that they'd use in their day-to-day lives - if they named something after a lighter, they'd probably call it a "Zippo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

All the Dolby Cinemas near me are playing this instead of Valerian.

What? Now this, together with that "let's ignore the French in France"-thing, this should count as a war crime.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my take away from the ad was that travel during the interwar era was loving boring

hey lets play a game where we all strike our lighters and whoevers lights wins... for hours

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Nebakenezzer posted:

Guadalcanal by Richard B. Frank.

I was going to ask you as well, because it seemed familiar. Yeah I read that book and another, "downfall" a couple of years ago. Certainly not thread favourites, (as in hardly brought up), but were good reads.
E: there's a lot of youtube videos of him as well which is how I got interested in buying his books.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 20, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

How many of those are fliers? All that quote says is that the non-luft expanded hugely (much like its leader).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe

Personnel 3,400,000 (total in service at any time for 1939–45

code:
Luftwaffe strength during the fall of 1941
Forces	                   Personnel strength
Flying units	           500,000
Anti-aircraft units	   500,000
Air signal units	   250,000
Construction units	   150,000
Landsturm (militia) units  36,000

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I bring it up specifically so it can be commented on. I think the parameters the author was using for that statement was number of aircraft actually usable, with trained aircrews. Knowing the sheer weirdness of Luftwaffe being the people who manned AA positions, I totally believe that in terms of personnel, the numbers kept rising throughout the war.

I've also read that if we're talking air-frames, the Luftwaffe peaks in later 1944 - when most of the really experienced Luftwaffe personnel were casualties in one way or another, so it's likely the majority of those were never used.

Trained aircrews and available airframes is still higher in Barbarossa/post-1939. Maybe not by much, by Poland is not peak-Luftwaffe.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 20, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
is "downfall" that book by kershaw about the last weeks of the third reich? that one was real good

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
No, by the same author, Richard B. Frank, "Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/887784171275513860

I will say I enjoyed City of Thieves by Benioff a whole lot. It's set in the Siege of Leningrad, can't comment on it's accuracy though.

This is cool.

However, City of Thieves was not great and I really, really wanted to love it. (hot take)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

HEY GAIL posted:

is "downfall" that book by kershaw about the last weeks of the third reich? that one was real good

You might be thinking of the movie of the same title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR5q0ajW8Ko

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

I think that was "The End" and yes, it was very good.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fo3 posted:

No, by the same author, Richard B. Frank, "Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire".

It is an excellent book and very highly recommended to anyone who ever had an argument about the nukes and the end of the war, because it goes into detail on every aspect of the thing. One of the interesting take aways for me was that by the summer of 1945, the US military was starting to have very serious doubts about whether an invasion of the Home Islands was even feasible, since intelligence kept reporting ever new armies being raised for home defense. Sure, those armies were hastily trained and poorly equipped and supplied, but that's still several thousand angry Japanese you have to deal with while having effectively no operational room for maneuver, a very vulnerable supply line and an enemy who is going to make a maximum effort.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ArchangeI posted:

It is an excellent book and very highly recommended to anyone who ever had an argument about the nukes and the end of the war, because it goes into detail on every aspect of the thing. One of the interesting take aways for me was that by the summer of 1945, the US military was starting to have very serious doubts about whether an invasion of the Home Islands was even feasible, since intelligence kept reporting ever new armies being raised for home defense. Sure, those armies were hastily trained and poorly equipped and supplied, but that's still several thousand angry Japanese you have to deal with while having effectively no operational room for maneuver, a very vulnerable supply line and an enemy who is going to make a maximum effort.

It's why the US Army presented Truman with a plan to comprehensively unleash the entire US chemical weapon arsenal - the largest and most sophisticated in the world - against the Home Islands for Downfall.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gnoman posted:

if they named something after a lighter, they'd probably call it a "Zippo".

In fact, weren't flamethrower tanks nicknamed zippos, or is that just a wargaming thing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guys let me freely confess I think a powerful teaching tool for the 30 years war would be if something like a 30 years war Axis Powers Hetalia exited

fake e: or any other war for that matter

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Guys let me freely confess I think a powerful teaching tool for the 30 years war would be if something like a 30 years war Axis Powers Hetalia exited

I think Anime is a powerful teaching tool for why Nukes should never be dropped.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

In fact, weren't flamethrower tanks nicknamed zippos, or is that just a wargaming thing

That depends on the tank. The Churchill flamethrower tank was called the "Crocodile"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_tank

There was an M4 variant called the Zippo

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

As a kid I was way into Prussia and early Blitzkrieg and now as an old fart I'm basically exclusively into (I guess late) KuK and the Untergang era. Love it when poo poo comes apart, much like my connective tissue.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

gently caress you sincerely

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm optimistic enough to think we'll ban anime by then.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

As a kid I was way into Prussia and early Blitzkrieg and now as an old fart I'm basically exclusively into (I guess late) KuK and the Untergang era. Love it when poo poo comes apart, much like my connective tissue.
yeah when i was a child i was into, i guess you'd call it the "high point" of world war 2, Nazi Germany at the height of its powers, all the cliches are there, and now I'm most interested in countries/armies as they either begin or fall apart.

i think it's that when you're very young the sheer impressiveness of the big cliches are what push themselves on your mind, and then when you gain a further understanding of complex systems you can appreciate the beginnings or endings of things

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAIL posted:

yeah when i was a child i was into, i guess you'd call it the "high point" of world war 2, Nazi Germany at the height of its powers, all the cliches are there, and now I'm most interested in countries/armies as they either begin or fall apart.

i think it's that when you're very young the sheer impressiveness of the big cliches are what push themselves on your mind, and then when you gain a further understanding of complex systems you can appreciate the beginnings or endings of things

I think deep down, all of us are fascinated by attempts to conquer the world. When i was young i was fascinated by Nazi Germany as well, even did a paper for my like 7th grade history class where I talked about the Whermacht. It would probably count as Wheraboo today but I was just going off the books in the school library. As I got older and could grasp the Holocaust more than "a lot of people got killed cause they were Jewish" that all went away, though the fascination will never entirely die. I think the same thing exists with the Romans, and the Mongols, and the British Empire.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think deep down, all of us are fascinated by attempts to conquer the world.
it's why wallenstein is still my favorite 30yw general: trying to think about what he wanted in life involves another level--another scale--from all other military figures, his real peers (in terms of the scale of activity not its aim, it's still unclear whether his aims were political), are people like richelieu or gustavus adolphus.

edit: in some ways he's operating on a bigger scale from everyone else, in some ways he's very limited. for instance, his social network is almost entirely soldiers, not people at court. and court is what eventually kills him. he is, in a way that you can't say about anyone else, the "most powerful soldier in the world" for a little over ten years. he's not a statesman.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 20, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I spent all morning looking at colorized Civil War pics. I don't know anything about colorizing old pictures but it seems like whatever people use to do this has gotten a whole lot better in the last year or two. Here are some of the best ones, gallery with full sized ones here.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm not sure what the story behind this is but it's got to be better than that loving bear.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Soldiers get bored and gently caress around. Sometimes they burn down a village, sometimes they dress up a donkey.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bewbies posted:

I spent all morning looking at colorized Civil War pics. I don't know anything about colorizing old pictures but it seems like whatever people use to do this has gotten a whole lot better in the last year or two. Here are some of the best ones, gallery with full sized ones here.

Jesus those pictures of bodies just lying in rows like that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Watched Dunkirk. My girlfriend liked it, I thought Tom Hardy did stuff that would be hard to pull off in Warthunder arcade mode.

The movie aims to be bleak and oppressive, like, all the BEF parts are Fury-depressing, only you don't know the character names and they feel like assholes. Maybe I'm a naive idealistic fool, but the soldiers seem to be running from aliens or orcs rather than Germans; like anyone left behind is gonna br dead or worse.

The timeline could have been handled better; if you miss the cue cards at the start, you won't really get it. But the guys on the beach visibly spend more than a day there.

It's really a Miracle at Dunkirk movie rather than Battle for Dunkirk movie. In that regard, you will see some French and you'll hear them mentioned. Germans? Not so much.

So I dunno, I wouldn't give it 9.2, but I not even a pretend movie critic anymore, so what do I know.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fangz posted:

Jesus those pictures of bodies just lying in rows like that.

They probably didn't die like that, definitely looks like they were gathered up there for burial. It's definitely come up in these threads before that civil war photographers often moved the the dead about to create more compelling images, I suspect that's what we're looking at.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Get In-line for more Mitsubishi engines

Since I finished off the Pre-Pacific War engines, its time to move on to developments when the 2nd World War truly encompasses the globe. Due to the number of engines, this may be a 2 or 3 parter.

Remember the Shinten? Well, it was upgraded at one point and renamed the Shinten 21, the first model being the Shinten 11. The newer engine had an output of 1,200hp, but appears to have only been used in the H5Y.

More Kinsei engine development followed, with the Kinsei 43 and 45 powering the L2D2 and L3Y2, respectively. Subsequent work led to the Kinsei 50 series, beginning with the Kinsei 51. It had a higher compression ratio, indirect fuel injection, and a two-speed supercharger. It would see use with the G3M3, H6K5, L2D3, L2D4, and the E16A.

Then there was the Kinsei 52, which had water injection, but was never used. The Kinsei 53 retained the water injection system and also had a higher pressure oil pump for better lubrication. The Kinsei 54 was the final Kinsei 50 series engine, keeping all of the previous improvements and adding a machine gun synchroniser. Oddly, there's no horsepower output given except when looking at the Army's version of the Kinsei 52, referred to as the Ha-112, with an output of 1,300hp, sometimes rated at 1,250hp.

A Ki-96

The 50 series was eventually surpassed by the 60 series, the initial version (Kinsei 61) having a new supercharger and retaining the carburettor. The 62 came after, rated like the 61 at 1,560hp, and received the JD [Ha-33]. This model is also referred to as the Ha-112-II, the Army's designation, and was found to be particularly good at altitude. It allowed the Ki-46-III to fly at altitudes over 10,500 meters, rendering it virtually immune to all forms of enemy action. This, despite fuel injection issues early on in its production run and a single-stage supercharger, was also installed in the "Air Defense" version of the Ki-46, but the added weight cut into the aircraft's ability to climb.

Interestingly, the Army persevered and used the Ha-112 in the experimental Ki-96 aircraft, which had an engine boost system that involved bottled oxygen being injected directly into the engine's air intakes. Although it had good characteristics, the Army decided to shelve the Ki-96 and build a new type of aircraft, another twin-engined plane, the Ki-102. The main difference between the two was that the -102 was a two-seat aircraft while the -96 was a single-seater. The new aircraft was heavier and experienced stability issues due to its redesign. A little over 200 Ki-102s were built, most of these being ground attack aircraft.

A Ki-84 is reported to have had a Ha-112-II installed and, in this configuration, was renamed the Ki-116. It had a lower power but better performance at altitutde.

The Ha-112-IIRu was similar, having an "intermediate sized Ru-102 Turbo-Supercharger" installed. This increased the rated altitude by 2,500m and allowed for operation at heights well over 10,000m. The Kinsei 60 series is that which I mentioned a while ago where it was designed to leak oil to prevent the engine from seizing, although that could just be a rumor.

Zuisei Engines

The Zuisei was another family of engines that continued production until the end of the war. In this period that the book examines, the first example is the Zuisei 21, which had a two-speed supercharger and a revised cylinder head design. The engine found no use with the Navy, none recorded anyways, but found life with the Army, naming it the Ha-102 and is typically referenced having an output of 1,050hp.

A Ku-7, the glider version of the Ki-105

For the most part, this engine was used for conversions/replacements rather than as an original prototype and saw no changes over its service life. One plane it was used in was the Ki-105, a transport aircraft, with a variant (the Ki-105b) which was supposed to be a "tanker" version, flying to Sumatra from Japan and back carrying fuel. It never saw use, probably because it would have consumed 80% of its load for the trip.

For all the lack of original development it was paired with, the Zuisei was well regarded, having good fuel economy and altitude performance. It received the JD [Ha-31].

The Kasei Series

A development of the A10, the Kasei series of engines saw widespread use by the Army and the Navy. The Army called it the Ha-101 and Ha-111, while the Navy called it the MK4. It would later received the JD [Ha-32].

The first example was the Ha-101, used in the Ki-21-II. Like the Navy version, it was rated at 1,500hp. Due to the difference in size with the Nakajima engines the plane originally had, it needed a redesign of the nacelles. This redesign saw the landing gear to be fully enclosed.

A G6M

The Kasei 11 was the first Navy version of the series, quickly being used with the G3M and selected for the G4M before the engine even made it to production! Interestingly, there was a slight delay with the G4M's as losses of the G3M led to the development of "escort" bombers, similar to the YB-40 variant of the B-17. Few were built as they proved unsuccessful and were converted into trainers/transports.

The Kasei 12 was next, only differing with the previous model by the simplified Farman-type reduction gear. This reduction gear allowed for a larger and more efficient propeller and was used with the G5N.

The Kasei 13 had a larger supercharger for a rated altitude of over 6,000m, but this modification changed the total output of the engine to 1,430hp. This loss of power was due to the 500mm extension shaft introduced, in order to prevent issues from mechanical stress. Excessive vibrations experienced by the engine , as well as problems with the constant speed propeller governor, led to its cancellation.

A Kasei 14

The Kasei 14 was as long as the Kasei 13, but was more complicated and its contra-rotating propellers were problematic. It was the first contra-rotating propeller engine built in Japan. Fitting that, like the Kasei 13, it was also cancelled due to excessive gearbox vibration and problems from the propeller speed governor.

The Kasei 15 was one step backwards, two step forwards. It took the larger supercharger of the 13 and 14 and combined it with the reliability of the Kasei 11. This combination would go on to power examples of the N1K and the G4M.

Oh my God I'm not even halfway...

Total number of engines built by Mitsubishi (not 100% accurate): 50893

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I for one think it's about time Harry Turtledove got his own TV series

Remora posted:

Why couldn't it have been Worldwar, though?

Comedy option.

Civil War America refights WW2, a few years early, using Magic, as Aliens invade.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Do they use magic rifled muskets against Panzer IVs and martians or...?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JcDent posted:

Do they use magic rifled muskets against Panzer IVs and martians or...?

To explain the joke for those not familiar with Turtledove.

He's written 'Refight the second world war, with a twist, in 4 seperate series.'

And yep one of them was with magic muskets, and the Tanks were Dinosaurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_Series

The other twists were, Aliens!, takes place in America, and the most recent (clearly getting desparate at this point) War starts a bit earlier. Called in what's either a magnificent case of hanging a lampshade or a gently caress it I just don't care anymore 'The War that Came early'.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 20, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jesus Christ.

How early are we talking? Also, why?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JcDent posted:

Jesus Christ.

How early are we talking? Also, why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_That_Came_Early

Enjoy!

But why read the Wikipedia summary when you could buy all seven volumes.

And enough people willing to do that is the answer to your second question.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

In more detail:

The Worldwar/Colonization series (8 books) involves aliens with late 1990s military tech invading Earth in 1942.

The Timeline-191 series (10 books) involves the Confederacy winning the war in 1862 (due to not losing a copy of Special Order 191 and smashing McClellan near Camp Hill Pennsylvania instead of being turned back at Antietam, leading to Britain and France forcing the US to give up), with the two nations fighting wars in 1881, 1914 (the US joins the Central Powers, CS joins the Allied Powers), and 1941.

The Darkness series is a fantasy-based WWII-analogue where dragons take the place of fighters and bombers, giant war rhinos take the place of tanks, magic fire-shooting wands replace guns, and mass necromancy take the place of the Holocaust and are used in an analog of chemical warfare.

The War That Came Early series involves WWII kicking off with the annexation of Czechoslovakia instead of waiting for Poland, due to an assassination. This is the only one of the four where the war turned out less nasty than the real one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the 191 series, when does slavery end, and how is the treatment of black people in the CSA going forward?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bewbies posted:

I spent all morning looking at colorized Civil War pics. I don't know anything about colorizing old pictures but it seems like whatever people use to do this has gotten a whole lot better in the last year or two. Here are some of the best ones,

https://twitter.com/PersianRose1/status/887911306120114180
It's amazing how much more life-like these photos become with colorizing.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Austrian Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis, 1991

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

https://twitter.com/PersianRose1/status/887911306120114180
It's amazing how much more life-like these photos become with colorizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtpYv2YMWfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

In the 191 series, when does slavery end, and how is the treatment of black people in the CSA going forward?

The tl;dr is not well. Now, it's been a while since I read the series, but IIRC Britain and France pressure the CSA to give up slavery in the late 1800s, but it's only over in name only-the 'freed' slaves have zero political rights (To the point of not even being allowed to have last names), and are basically no better off than they were under slavery. Because of this, during Not-World War One they end up launching a socialist revolution in the deep south, which is eventually crushed. Thus, when the Confederate Hitler takes power, he decides to enact the holocaust on African-Americans, which is only ended by the final victory of the North over the South after the nuclear bombing of Newport News.

Man that series got weird.