Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The YUSUKE'S loving PISSED cut-in is the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

When I was little, I used to watch this anime where the main villain was this female thief. She’d lose to the hero every time, but I always thought she was cool. She wasn’t really a “good” person per se… But she was beautiful, strong, sincere, and even sexy. She always said whatever she wanted, did whatever she wanted… She knew what justice was for her.

I, too, watched the great anime of Batman the Animated Series.

Or Carmen Sandiego one of the two.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, Selina isn't really a villain in BTAS. At first. More of an anti-heroine with animal rights concerns. It's only later on that she starts getting into crime for the excitement of it.

More on topic, Caroline is great, though I have to wonder why Makoto and Yu get regular Velvet Rooms while Maaku is made their prisoner.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The velvet room is a reflection of the visitor's heart, or something like that. Makoto's journey was a climb up to the top of tartarus, so he got an elevator I guess, and I guess Yu saw himself as a swanky VIP?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ChaosArgate posted:

The velvet room is a reflection of the visitor's heart, or something like that. Makoto's journey was a climb up to the top of tartarus, so he got an elevator I guess, and I guess Yu saw himself as a swanky VIP?

I always thought of Yu's vision of the Velvet Room was a limo on a foggy night, the vessel that delivers him to the truth behind the veil of lies.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

I learned much from you, Madarame. In order to see authenticity… one must be dispassionately realistic.

These lines are so weird. I'm not even sure what the first one is supposed to mean.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Badger of Basra posted:

These lines are so weird. I'm not even sure what the first one is supposed to mean.

The first one is pretty incoherent and I have no idea what the hell "dispassionately realistic" even means in this context.

The second line is just poor translation/localization. It's basically "Now that I have my persona (and thus am out from under your thumb), I can see you for who you really are!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's saying that now that he's not clouded by idealistic fantasy he can see Madarame for who he truly is, basically.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Gruckles posted:

The YUSUKE'S loving PISSED cut-in is the greatest.

Agreeing with this sentiment, even though this is the first time I've seen it.

I wanna throw that look at someone, someday.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I really like the cut-ins in this game, they've got so much more personality than P3 or 4's. Yusuke's and a later party member's are basically tied as my favorite. :allears:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Even in New Game + when you have all of Sojiro's confidant bonuses unlocked from the start, you will never make a truly good cup of coffee.

Also, you can't see it very well in the screenshots, but Jack Frost now has glossy snowflakes on his stomach.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I could have sworn the game already let Ryuji drop the F-bomb, but I guess I was mistaken? His love affair with "eff" is pretty adorable, though.

Hella.

I can recall at least two instances where he does come full out and say 'gently caress' and the subtitles even leave it in. That's not censorship at work you're seeing, more likely it's him attempting to restrain himself on some level with his whole thing about taking responsibility for his temper.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ChaosArgate posted:

I really like the cut-ins in this game, they've got so much more personality than P3 or 4's. Yusuke's and a later party member's are basically tied as my favorite. :allears:
The battle dialog clips will still get burned into your mind forever, though.

"GOEMON, STRIKE! GOEMON, STRIKE! GOEMON, STRIKE!"

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Arist posted:

Guess that means we really can’t afford to eff it up this time.

I can’t believe they’re so committed to not letting Ryuji say “gently caress” they’d even have him type out the word “eff.”

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Made me think of that song from the Boondocks, personally.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

This game would've been better if the notorious outlaw known as The Booty Warrior was a party member's persona.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blue Labrador posted:

This game would've been better if the notorious outlaw known as The Booty Warrior was a party member's persona.

They're keeping that one for the spin-offs

EDIT: Oh, we've unlocked the Strength arcana as a new confidant. Strength is usually symbolized by a gentle woman guiding a powerful hound, in the sense of "true strength is self-restraint of your inner beast". In Persona 5 it's a person tearing open the hound's jaws like the strongman he is, completely the opposite of the traditional meaning.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

I, too, watched the great anime of Batman the Animated Series.

Or Carmen Sandiego one of the two.
Close, however she's probably referring to Fujiko Mine from Lupin III. That's a more recent clip, but the show has been running in one incarnation or another since the 70s. Trap sprung I guess, I just think it's an interesting touch because once you know that, the ways they made Ann-as-Panther's body language resemble Fujiko really leap out at you. (TBH I'd expect someone Ann's age to think of Team Rocket instead, but the game was made by people more likely to be familiar with Lupin. :v: )

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Close, however she's probably referring to Fujiko Mine from Lupin III. That's a more recent clip, but the show has been running in one incarnation or another since the 70s. Trap sprung I guess, I just think it's an interesting touch because once you know that, the ways they made Ann-as-Panther's body language resemble Fujiko really leap out at you. (TBH I'd expect someone Ann's age to think of Team Rocket instead, but the game was made by people more likely to be familiar with Lupin. :v: )

Eh, I'd say that Jessie and Fujiko are pretty different archetypes.

For one, Fujiko is hypercompetent and just as likely to pull one over Lupin as she is to help him or be helped by him and as such can be both an antagonist and a protagonist while Jessie, as a part of the Team Rocket whole, is an incompetent, but sympathetic, antagonist. (Team Rocket is actually just another version of a children's anime archetype that was started by a different show in the 70s.)

Jessie is a really, really bad thief, Fujiko is a thief as amazingly good as Lupin III.

...drat it, I fell into the same trap.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now, here's something kind of funny about the nude painting bit: Matthew Mercer played Aikuro Mikisugi from Kill La Kill. In that show, Aikuro has a habit of stripping while giving exposition, and he's the boss of an organization literally called "Nudist Beach".

Yeah, Kill La Kill is weird, but this makes the sequence a bit funnier (even though Matthew isn't doing his Aikuro voice. He's doing the voice of Shigure from Fire Emblem Fares, another artist character.).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Coincidences in Matt Mercer roles don't amount to much because Matt Mercer plays literally everyone, including all the posters in this thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm voiced by Steve Blum actually. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also I don't think it's possible to spring the anime trap in a thread on the internet where we're all gathering around to watch someone write up their playthrough of a game about magical brain thieves stealing histories of sin from the collective unconscious while going to high school.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm voiced by Steve Blum actually. :colbert:

Cam Clarke, here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GILBERT GOTTFRIED

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Patrick Seitz, over here. But if I'm sick Kaiji Tang substitutes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Really Pants posted:

GILBERT GOTTFRIED

Sorry, but that was only in the movie. We've got a lower budget for the thread.

You're Steve Blum doing a Gilbert Gottfried impression.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Matt Mercer, but only because Troy Baker couldn't finish the role.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Despite being a guy, I am also voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
And I'm voiced by some loving Tumblr amature...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm the secretary down the hall.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Twenty men and twenty women, speaking in perfect unison.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm voiced by Edwyn Tiong, doing the same voice he always does.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm whatever intern Nintendo of America got to voice Mist in Fire Emblem 9 and 10.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Due to union regulations, my VA's name cannot be disclosed or listed in the credits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No mention of Johnny Yong Bosch or Christ Sabat? :colbert:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

No mention of Johnny Yong Bosch or Christ Sabat? :colbert:

I dunno what to tell ya, doc. I'm just a humble little ol' Mel Blanc Vocaloid

think Bugs Bunny in a slightly more elaborate dress than usual :v:

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 21, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If Lorenzo Music were still alive, he'd be my VA.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm partial to Vincent Price myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm Yuri Lowenthal, apparently.