Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's proably not what the devs want but I think Emhyr would be playable and basically fair if he could target your graveyard as well. Then he'd have an ability similar on power level to eithne's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

No Mods No Masters posted:

When they open with two mangonels and I instantly pass ruining their entire strategy, that's amore

Eh, when playing Reveal the Mangonels are there to win R1. Don't much care how they do that; I'm just gonna bleed you in R2 and hope to overwhelm you with Spotters in R3 regardless.

Reveal doesn't quite have the oomph to compete in the current meta, though; I've gone back to my old Letho spy deck and I'm having better success with it.

No Wave posted:

It's proably not what the devs want but I think Emhyr would be playable and basically fair if he could target your graveyard as well. Then he'd have an ability similar on power level to eithne's.

There are some balance issues with that in that moving a card from your graveyard to your hand doesn't take points off your board, so "Return a card from the battlefield or your graveyard to your hand and play a card" might be a little overpowered for a leader effect. (Doesn't really fit with the theme either; even Emhyr can't order the dead around, at least not until his medics or mages have done their bit...)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eithne doesn't remove points from your board either.

Alternatively Emhyr could do his current effect with up to two cards, but the UI isn't there yet.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shadowstep is a terrific deploy ability but the problem is all the best leaders all have "do a useless thing that also just happens to drop an additional 10-20 points on your board"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I tried using some Vanhemar after a little while and man, does he feel kinda lovely now. Buff my mages CDPR. :(

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dethmold is now Best Mage

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Man I was about to win a round three that would reward me 6 kegs, my opponent was pointing a card, my wifi gave out for less than 10 seconds and it immediately gave me the loss.

Won my way back to 3693, right below the threshold, then tied my most recent game, -5 points. Hah, I think I'll stop playing for today

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
There's so much weather still I can't imagine mages getting edged out of the 5/6th silver slot in any deck except those that run crones/witchers

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Dethmold is now Best Mage

Whichever faction was given the mage with lacerate was pretty fortunate, it's good someone has a tool to counter the monster swarms....

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose I'm in a winning streak with my Eredin weather/crones deck. 85% winrate after 13 games. It uses earth elementals and harpies, but it isn't as swarmy as a proper swarm deck so it isn't as vulnerable to Lacerates, the power comes more from all the thunderbolt potions.
One thing it helped a lot was to include again Scorch in the deck, it's auto-include in any deck not based on super buffing a pair of units like in a Reveal/Spy/Consume/Axemen/dworf decks. edit: 80% now :/ after 20 matches.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I suppose I'm in a winning streak with my Eredin weather/crones deck. 85% winrate after 13 games. It uses earth elementals and harpies, but it isn't as swarmy as a proper swarm deck so it isn't as vulnerable to Lacerates, the power comes more from all the thunderbolt potions.
One thing it helped a lot was to include again Scorch in the deck, it's auto-include in any deck not based on super buffing a pair of units like in a Reveal/Spy/Consume/Axemen/dworf decks. edit: 80% now :/ after 20 matches.

And done:

First time in a game I play in Ranked so much.
Not bad, as I didn't play hundreds of hours (only 70h for now) nor I spend lots of moneys (just 15 bucks at the start of the closed beta).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, so my Skellige deck is pretty loving mean. I can basically cycle and recycle units out of the Graveyard and make them stronger each round. I win by placing high numbers down and that's proven effective in casual and ranked play.

I'm utterly wrecked by weather decks though. I only have one clear skies, and basically have to rely on Kambi to clear bad weather conditions, which hasn't proven to be a great combo, even if it is flashy.

My choice of golds is kind of meh. I got rid of Ermion, got Kambi, I have a Gaunter O'Dimm which sounds like not a very worthwhile card to be using and I'm trying to figure out whether I wanna melt down Gaunter and Kambi and try to buy a better gold card? Losing a whole board just to give my opponent 16 points doesn't seem to be worthwhile investment, but I don't want to do something foolish with rare cards.

What do other Skellige deck users reccomend I do? What cards might help bolster my chances? I got a necromancy card the other day and it's proven incredibly valuable, so more cards that help my graveyard king strategy work.

Also gently caress Nilfgaard medics.

Edit: I've been running 30 cards, which has seemed adequate for my strategy.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 20, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alright, so my Skellige deck is pretty loving mean. I can basically cycle and recycle units out of the Graveyard and make them stronger each round. I win by placing high numbers down and that's proven effective in casual and ranked play.

I'm utterly wrecked by weather decks though. I only have one clear skies, and basically have to rely on Kambi to clear bad weather conditions, which hasn't proven to be a great combo, even if it is flashy.

My choice of golds is kind of meh. I got rid of Ermion, got Kambi, I have a Gaunter O'Dimm which sounds like not a very worthwhile card to be using and I'm trying to figure out whether I wanna melt down Gaunter and Kambi and try to buy a better gold card? Losing a whole board just to give my opponent 16 points doesn't seem to be worthwhile investment, but I don't want to do something foolish with rare cards.

What do other Skellige deck users reccomend I do? What cards might help bolster my chances? I got a necromancy card the other day and it's proven incredibly valuable, so more cards that help my graveyard king strategy work.

Have a look at this and this for some ideas on what's popular in mainstream Skellige netdecks. Hjalmar is probably the first gold you should go for if you want to stick with Skellige, especially if you want to keep running Kambi, followed by Coral. In general you want to stick to 25 cards unless you have a really good reason not to.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

Have a look at this and this for some ideas on what's popular in mainstream Skellige netdecks. Hjalmar is probably the first gold you should go for if you want to stick with Skellige, especially if you want to keep running Kambi, followed by Coral. In general you want to stick to 25 cards unless you have a really good reason not to.

This would mean having less bears.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Gremist with Decoy and Sigrdrifa for recursion usually gives me enough answers to weather when I need them. This deck is what I'm currently running to level up in casual (almost level 10 winning a fair bit more than losing) and I'll probably run it in ranked too because I've spent all of my resources thus far to craft these SK golds and silvers.

I have a few other SK silvers/golds I could swap in or out but I don't feel like there's any real need until I start seeing what the ranked meta is like.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

They call him Dagon because you'll play against him all dag gone day.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
its cool how dagons are starting to tech against radovid, their only natural predator

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Normal Adult Human posted:

its cool how dagons are starting to tech against radovid, their only natural predator

The only true predator of Dagon is other Dagons.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I made it to rank 18 and unboxed necromancy with the crates I got. So to celebrate reaching the highest I feel like pushing for and also how much I hate queensguard right now, I made an eithne necromancy deck!

It's godawful, but it sure is fun to eat those bitches and see the player look around for their missing queensguards.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kalko posted:

Gremist with Decoy and Sigrdrifa for recursion usually gives me enough answers to weather when I need them. This deck is what I'm currently running to level up in casual (almost level 10 winning a fair bit more than losing) and I'll probably run it in ranked too because I've spent all of my resources thus far to craft these SK golds and silvers.

I have a few other SK silvers/golds I could swap in or out but I don't feel like there's any real need until I start seeing what the ranked meta is like.

Tch, seems like every other Skellige deck got all these discard cards and I just ended up with bears.

Bears are good, mind, but I don't have Gremist, SIgrdrifa or even Cerys. I have a few of those axe raiders and one pirate guy, but I don't have enough of the discard cards to really build a discard thing.

Lots of people are rocking Queensguard these days though, I dunno. I'm still on board for the gravelord thing, so hopefully I can pick up a Gremist soon.

EDIT: I see now that I had not been aware of Ermion's true value before I shredded him, but I stand by my choice.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

The only true predator of Dagon is other Dagons.

Nonsense. Radovid and Axemen at the very least are good against Dagon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Geralt Igni is some straight up bullshit

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Weekly Gwentlemen snapshot is showing a good amount of variance at the top of the meta. Three different Dagon decks! http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/

Looking good though Nilfgaard! Several of our decks managed to make Tier 3!

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 23, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gotta love last mulligan being Aelirenn.

well poo poo.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Weekly Gwentlemen snapshot is showing a good amount of variance at the top of the meta. Three different Dagon decks! http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/

Looking good though Nilfgaard! Several of our decks managed to make Tier 3!

the dagon decks barely have a +5% winrate over any tier 2 deck

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Kawabata posted:

the dagon decks barely have a +5% winrate over any tier 2 deck

And that's with every non-monsters deck gunning for it.

I've been playing Queensguard and it's remarkable how similar it is to reveal except better in every way. One major but subtle advantage is that Bran shuffles your deck, so instead of 90% of the time re-drawing the poo poo bronzes you threw away you can see what life is like in a game with a sane mulligan system.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you think about it, at least Monsters have a good amount of variety. Eredin frost decks, Dagon fog decks, swarm/token decks, Consume decks, and variations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Magic Underwear posted:

And that's with every non-monsters deck gunning for it.

I've been playing Queensguard and it's remarkable how similar it is to reveal except better in every way. One major but subtle advantage is that Bran shuffles your deck, so instead of 90% of the time re-drawing the poo poo bronzes you threw away you can see what life is like in a game with a sane mulligan system.

No actually the non-monster decks countering it, like the Radovid one, make the matchup absolutely miserable for Dagon. They obviously suffer from being less consistent against other T2/T3 decks but that's par with the course for counter decks.

Sure, monsters are the best deck right now but the meta is very diverse. Hopefully this means the next round of fixes will just be soft-tuning. Also, this is the first time after Open beta that Monsters are top dogs. It was Calveit and then Crach before.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

If you think about it, at least Monsters have a good amount of variety. Eredin frost decks, Dagon fog decks, swarm/token decks, Consume decks, and variations.

It's all about the bronzes really. Monsters are a well designed faction with cores of bronzes to support multiple play styles. I'm amazed at the value monsters can obtain by just playing bronze units in the first round.

With Nilfgaard bronzes are regarded as primarily junk to clear out of your deck as quickly as possible to get to the good cards. You especially notice this when trying to build a new deck as Nilfgaard and are trying to add the last couple units to a deck. Uninspiring mediocre value filler cards just abound. The only truly interesting card is the rot tossers, but they are so incredibly slow and blockable as to be largely a joke card as this point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unnerf rot tossers!!! They would only sort of be broken with ob weather, not insanely broken like they were with cb aeromancy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Got bored of playing the same few decks so I made an Eredin control deck. It's solid but absolutely shits all over monsters. I'm at 70% against them. It's the vast majority of my wins but the deck as a whole hovers around 50% depending on draws and how well you navigate it.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I was having the same problem, got up to 16 or so with Queensguard, but more and more often people were stealing and/or eating my graveyard.

Teched in some other stuff, removed Draig Bon-Dhu because he was just buffing my opponent, got a slightly better WR, but I kept running into more and more difficult matches and finding games that were unwinnable from the opening hand. A discard deck silenced my bear and RNGed a Queensguard out of my deck and I figured it was time to switch. Try this instead, Queensguard with Queensguards:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/26489-4300-70-wr-discard-cerys
A ton more options for things to do, fewer ruinous hands because you can throw things out more easily. I'm Something like 10-2-1 with it and up to 19, and the losses and the draw were from misplays

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I modified my own QG/discard deck to be more like this one from the recent snapshot post. Basically just removed the Clan Dimun Pirates for Mardroeme/First Light/Clan Heymaey Skald and I'm still using Gremist because I don't have an Alzur's Double-Cross. At first I wondered why the Skald was there because there were better bronzes, but it actually makes for a really good late game rez target for the priestesses (and it has a few other minor benefits like Igni protection).

I'm not seeing a lot of meta decks yet (I'm only rank 8) but I don't really have a huge problem with consume because the deck can still put out huge numbers without the QGs. I got hit with a 32 point Letho bomb last night and I still managed to tie the game, but that was Reveal NF which I guess isn't a strong deck to begin with.

In pretty much all versions of my SK deck so far, my first card played is almost always Bran and the last is Coral. I really like how Gwent deck building is all about packing as much synergy into your deck as possible so you can empty it all out in a predictable way each game.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Some new cards and changes from the Chinajoy event. Not complete and they all phone picks and dodgy translations. Poor Infantry is back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6pmmu3/new_cards_from_chinajoy_and_translations/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Changes kind of announced in big gaming convention in China
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6pmmu3/new_cards_from_chinajoy_and_translations/ edit: damnit, i had this written but unpublished while I was reading it!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
They really want to make spy nilfgaard a viable deck. Works for me.

Also that neutral mage beast trainer is going to get a ton of use. You could play 4 bears as an rear end in a top hat Skellige deck or just use it to steal from graveyards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Neutral savage bear, the memes will not end!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Last bragpost for a while I promise but I'm proud of myself, it was a tough climb :shobon:

Monsters are the most powerful faction (but not uncounterable), this build of it is good, Gwent is good, Crones are awful

taste it axemen

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Grats man. Now you need to grind to top 7 to go to gamescom for the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Btw am I misunderstanding this or is poor flanking infantry an 18 str bronze?