Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Parole board member at OJ's hearing wears a Chiefs tie:

https://twitter.com/Dameshek/status/888086936677634048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Russia has been mistreating Hebrews, and has received a plague of locusts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga98rDSN0TE
https://www.rt.com/news/396919-russia-dagestan-locust-swarm/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mistreating Hebrews? Anyway, locust swarms are an annual thing in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFjLW4KVHw

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Aren't locust swarms relatively common basically everywhere but North America, where we went out of our way to kill all of them?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

Aren't locust swarms relatively common basically everywhere but North America, where we went out of our way to kill all of them?

The species that used to swarm in the American prairie just went extinct on its own, we're really not sure why.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was on the fence before, but now I'm definitely never riding a motorcycle in Russia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SpacePig posted:

Locust swarming went down in 20th century, probably not due to any concerned effort, but because environmental changes that result from increased agricultural activity. Russia, as far as locust are concerned, is most likely a victim of climate change, and AFAIK the only place where locust activity increases thanks to the increase in suitable land for their breeding surpassing increases in land cultivation.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I didn't know that. Guess it makes sense the variations in climate could affect something like breeding cycles of swarming insects.

Phanatic posted:

The species that used to swarm in the American prairie just went extinct on its own, we're really not sure why.

I'm not well versed on it, I'll admit, but from how I heard it, it was a combination of an active bounty on them, destruction of their known breeding grounds, and the incidental loss of already laid eggs by irrigation. I might be wrong, or it might be up for debate or something, but that's how I heard it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SpacePig posted:

I'm not well versed on it, I'll admit, but from how I heard it, it was a combination of an active bounty on them, destruction of their known breeding grounds, and the incidental loss of already laid eggs by irrigation. I might be wrong, or it might be up for debate or something, but that's how I heard it.

Those are the probable reasons, but the extinction happened so fast that nobody expected it, it took place as an unintended byproduct of other changes rather than a real extermination campaign.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

"We snatched the website a month ago and we've just been sitting here getting all your addresses that you've been sending in the clear, also all your bitcoin are belong to us" is the :smug:-est thing I've ever seen posted by a law-enforcement agency.

Also, those 10,000-odd address are going to be a nice little database that people like the postmaster from the previous story about digitalink can quickly cross-reference against in case they get more "plant food" leaking out the side of a package.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Slime posted:

Technically it wasn't illegal unless you plan on using it to get high or selling it on so someone else can get high.

that he thought they totally believed him when he said he wouldn't is equally as stupid though

As of October 21, 2011 the DEA has issued an emergency ban on methylone. It is illegal to possess and distribute.[20][21]

The ruling to make it illegal is from after that thread was posted, but it's illegal now. Also, as is mentioned in that thread, states rulings about drugs mean as much as a fart in a windstorm when it's federally illegal. Technically, the DEA could barge into every state that has medical/recreational pot and shut it all down if they wanted to (and had the manpower). Bonus schaden is that Sessions hates legal weed and might try to do just that if he thinks he can get away with it. My guess is that the only reason they havent already is that someone smarter than them has pointed out that doing so would (hopefully) instantly piss off enough STATES RIGHTS!!1! conservatives to make subsequent elections too risky for the GOP.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

grumplestiltzkin posted:

As of October 21, 2011 the DEA has issued an emergency ban on methylone. It is illegal to possess and distribute.[20][21]

The ruling to make it illegal is from after that thread was posted, but it's illegal now. Also, as is mentioned in that thread, states rulings about drugs mean as much as a fart in a windstorm when it's federally illegal. Technically, the DEA could barge into every state that has medical/recreational pot and shut it all down if they wanted to (and had the manpower). Bonus schaden is that Sessions hates legal weed and might try to do just that if he thinks he can get away with it. My guess is that the only reason they havent already is that someone smarter than them has pointed out that doing so would (hopefully) instantly piss off enough STATES RIGHTS!!1! conservatives to make subsequent elections too risky for the GOP.

Pretend I posted a meme of that cartoon guy sweating and agonizing between pushing the two buttons.
One is labeled "TOUGH ON CRIME" and the other is labeled "STATES' RIGHTS" and the guy is labeled "THE GOP"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

canyoneer posted:

Pretend I posted a meme of that cartoon guy sweating and agonizing between pushing the two buttons.
One is labeled "TOUGH ON CRIME" and the other is labeled "STATES' RIGHTS" and the guy is labeled "THE GOP"

They'll push "TOUGH ON CRIME" every time, and their entire base won't give a flying gently caress about anything related to "STATES RIGHTS" unless it involves anything affecting them (or allows a minority to get ahead in life).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know why, but I love that there's tons of (for this sort of thing) content posts, but smack dab in the middle is a simple REALLY NIGGA?.
Look at that mod's username. :stare:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/888146270707228672

This is some purestrain right here.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
How are these people so incredibly stupid that they don't know this is always the result of publicly being a pile of garbage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I expect McCain to very publicly speak out against cancer, and then turn around and vote for it anyway.

That’s the cancer speaking.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I don't think it's anything about elections so much that if Sessions suddenly got a wild hair and started cracking down on medical marijuana, he knows that it wouldn't take Congress long to legalize medical marijuana at a federal level. I'd give it better than even odds that if he sparked a national discussion about it that we'd end up with some form of recreational marijuana too. By my quick count, there's only nine states without either decriminalization for personal use, medical use, or recreational use, and two of those nine allow non-psychoactive oil for medical use as of the last couple years, so if Sessions touched off a debate, he's smart enough to know he'd be on the losing side. Right now, he's applying as much pressure as he can get away with, but it's hard to see him taking it further.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Clearly because we gave Israel a big old hug with our nuclear arms.

(although I think there has been some swarming just south of the border or up into our southwest in recent memory?)

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
a man falls from the ruins of the largest darknet marketplace and into the next largest one. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of dutch police officers. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes them madly, yelling "my nigga do you have drugs for sale?!"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/business/dealbook/alphabay-dark-web-opioids.html

quote:

The man said to be the founder and leading operator of the site, Mr. Cazes, was arrested at his home in Bangkok on July 5, officials said on Thursday.

Mr. Cazes, originally from Canada, had his laptop open and was logged in to AlphaBay at the time of his arrest, allowing the authorities to gain access to all of AlphaBay’s hidden servers and financial accounts, according to legal documents unsealed on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/888057289709682689

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Bonus schaden is that Sessions hates legal weed and might try to do just that if he thinks he can get away with it. My guess is that the only reason they havent already is that someone smarter than them has pointed out that doing so would (hopefully) instantly piss off enough STATES RIGHTS!!1! conservatives to make subsequent elections too risky for the GOP.

Congress banned spending any money to go after medical marijuana if it's legal in a given state. Good luck convincing your agents to go after it for free.

Recreational marijuana is still very illegal and very liable to get you raided.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Boy, I bet it's pretty embarrassing when your efforts to stop people that you think are a risk due to lack of documentation is itself stopped due to your own perceived risk due to lack of documentation. I don't think this could be any more perfect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SpacePig posted:

Boy, I bet it's pretty embarrassing when your efforts to stop people that you think are a risk due to lack of documentation is itself stopped due to your own perceived risk due to lack of documentation. I don't think this could be any more perfect.

Patreon deleting her account, lmao

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/887987198146097152

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

It's missing Richard Spencer being punched, but otherwise perfection.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpacePig posted:

The boat could catch on fire with all of them onboard?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Yes!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Secondary props to the cameraman who realized he needed to pan away from the report he was there to film to catch whatever was about to happen in the background. That person is on the ball.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Isn't having a public forum about your top secret black market haxx0r place kinda defeating its purpose?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, talk about an abrupt ruination of your day:

https://roguetelemetry.tumblr.com/post/163251435010/weirdrussians-the-road-to-nowhere

wait for it, it's worth it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SpacePig posted:

It's actually so much worse than that article makes it seem.

These racist shitheels don't want refugees in their countries at all and would rather they died at sea than ever make it to land*.

Rather than mess with the refugee boats themselves which would get them absolutely hosed up the arse by the long cock of the law, they have decided that any time a distress signal is sent out from a refugee boat, they will use their own boat to block the coast guard from leaving port to save them. Blocking a boat in port has far less severe consequences.

Imagine racists using their lifted bro trucks to block an ambulance or fire truck from leaving their station to go to the part of town where poor black people live when a building full of people is on fire and people are dying. That's what you have going on here. Except on water.

Actually, it worse than that - imagine a pack of racists who say, "We want poor black people to burn to death rather than live in our country and are prepared to block off the local fire station with a big truck to ensure every time there is a fire, those people will die. We don't own a big truck, but here's our Patreon so you can help us buy one" and then they get so many hundreds of thousands of dollars from racists around the country that they meet their goal in a matter or weeks and actually go and buy their murder truck.

But thankfully are so drat dumb, they forget to register it or get a road worthy or even a driver's licence.

* I have to point out that these are European racists operating on their own and not Australian racists who have the full support of their government and naval forces to watch refugees die at sea.

The sentence "the trail of bodies 'stretched for 70 miles'" is one which will loving haunt our nation one day.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jul 21, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

People who preordered Destiny 2 through Best Buy and then cancelled when they received their beta code are finding they're being charged $20.

https://twitter.com/BestBuySupport/status/888010443448385536

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

drat, talk about an abrupt ruination of your day:

https://roguetelemetry.tumblr.com/post/163251435010/weirdrussians-the-road-to-nowhere

wait for it, it's worth it.

lmao what the hell

he used to drive that way every day :spooky:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's actually so much worse than that article makes it seem.

These racist shitheels don't want refugees in their countries at all and would rather they died at sea than ever make it to land*.

Rather than mess with the refugee boats themselves which would get them absolutely hosed up the arse by the long cock of the law, they have decided that any time a distress signal is sent out from a refugee boat, they will use their own boat to block the coast guard from leaving port to save them. Blocking a boat in port has far less severe consequences.

I honestly thought they were just going to try to block ships carrying refugees from entering ports or something, but this is way, way worse. Holy poo poo, how broken of a person do you need to be that this seems like a good idea?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doggles posted:

People who preordered Destiny 2 through Best Buy and then cancelled when they received their beta code are finding they're being charged $20.

:allears:
"What do you mean you actually had the foresight to prevent people from getting free access to your game?"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Doggles posted:

Does anyone have any sort of copy of the Best Buy ToS or Customer Agreement or whatever for preorders? This is really funny, and I hope it sticks, but I'm interested if they have specific language that specifically allows for this so that these guys can't even sort of have an argument in their favor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SpacePig posted:

Does anyone have any sort of copy of the Best Buy ToS or Customer Agreement or whatever for preorders? This is really funny, and I hope it sticks, but I'm interested if they have specific language that specifically allows for this so that these guys can't even sort of have an argument in their favor.

Apparently there's a real issue where people who cancelled their pre-order before the beta came out are still being charged for access. But people who got access and then cancelled are correctly being charged for access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpacePig posted:

I honestly thought they were just going to try to block ships carrying refugees from entering ports or something, but this is way, way worse. Holy poo poo, how broken of a person do you need to be that this seems like a good idea?

Identitarians/Generation Identitaire/Identitäre Bewegung/Identitair Verzet etc are literally just rebranded neo-Nazis.

Here's one of their demos being disrupted: