Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Seriously, if you are worried about your kit and lightening, shouldn't you put something heavy on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The whole reason I have that installation guide is pretty thread worthy in itself.

We spent two hours trying to walk a field tech through troubleshooting the power supply on a router which he's had no experience with, only to find out that the device had no power because the GFI tripped.

I got the guide so I could look for pictures of what the power supply looked like.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samizdata posted:

Seriously, if you are worried about your kit and lightening, shouldn't you put something heavy on it?

:golfclap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a genuine Cisco document or something from the Small Business range?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
We dial 95+7-or-10-digit-number for an outbound line and 8+4-digit-extension internally. Why this is I do not know.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We get a surprising amount of people who might have the external number range of (for example) 020 xxxx 5000 thru to 5020 and then we number their internal extensions 5000 thru 5020 or whatever. So far so good.

Then they employ new people, decide they want their internal extension to be 5021 because it's the next number, have business cards printed up with 020 xxxx 5021 on them, before realising that they don't own that number and never will. At which point it becomes a huge issue because the number's been given to a really important client or carved into granite and why aren't you helping us?

In short, phones are poo poo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

In short, phones are poo poo and people are dumb.

FTFY

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the idea that you can just buy a specific number if people want it, without realising it might be taken and that you have no real way of finding out who owns it either. ENUM could have been good but someone left it to telecoms companies to be innovative.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Seriously though yes it's an official document. Installation guide for an OLT

What made me laugh is I was able to see the moments the reigns were passed from some intern writing the no poo poo statements to an actual engineer covering the technical parts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aunt Beth posted:

We dial 95+7-or-10-digit-number for an outbound line and 8+4-digit-extension internally. Why this is I do not know.

I just want to say my tired brain parsed the numbers 95, 7 and 10 and it took me two or three passes to realize you were still talking about phones not what versions of windows you deal with at your site.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Alkydere posted:

I just want to say my tired brain parsed the numbers 95, 7 and 10 and it took me two or three passes to realize you were still talking about phones not what versions of windows you deal with at your site.

This needs love, after seeing it I can't unsee it. Got a good laugh.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We have an HP Procurve 2510G at a site we are going to replace. We want to get pretty much the same thing but it looks like the procurve series is no longer available, unless you want to get a refurbished one. Now I guess it's "aruba"?

I was wondering if it's just a rebrand and the management aspect/quality of it is the same, or if there are some "gotchas" with using whatever their comparable switch is now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They put their loving logo on it, they can loving support it properly.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Hargrimm posted:

I love global IT notices that are the email equivalent of a subtweet. Always makes me imagine what exactly some poor dumb user did to trigger a particular "friendly reminder"

Best I've had to deal with was an actual 911 emergency occurred while people were on the phone, and person in the call center (in a different city from the emergency) forwarded the call to 911. Much confusion of 911 operator dealing with the situation.

The call recording when played at a C level meeting caused a lot of "oh nos" faces and immediate protocol changes at the call centre.

Fortunately, all parties ended up okay.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MrMojok posted:

We have an HP Procurve 2510G at a site we are going to replace. We want to get pretty much the same thing but it looks like the procurve series is no longer available, unless you want to get a refurbished one. Now I guess it's "aruba"?

I was wondering if it's just a rebrand and the management aspect/quality of it is the same, or if there are some "gotchas" with using whatever their comparable switch is now.

The Aruba 2530G is the direct descendent of the Procurve 2510G, just rebranded and with updated silicon. It runs the same OS and management should be essentially identical. They are good switches.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

MrMojok posted:

Just a rebrand. If you're lucky, some of your existing HPE/Procurve switches will get internally re-branded when you update to the latest firmware.

Scared the poo poo out of me the first time I saw it happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The 2530s are decent switches if you just want something basic, really cheap as well.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the idea that you can just buy a specific number if people want it, without realising it might be taken and that you have no real way of finding out who owns it either. ENUM could have been good but someone left it to telecoms companies to be innovative.

It depends on how many DIDs you own. Where I work we physically own 20,000 numbers so 7 digit is no problem. I've worked places where they own 1 or 2 which then have to be manipulated internally so they don't conflict with external numbers they don't own (which is why a lot of places use 4-digit dial). But even then you can do 7-digit internal with an escape pattern so they should never conflict outside of the company.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So we are now at a week with issues with Rackspace.

http://status.apps.rackspace.com/index/viewincidents?group=100

It has been determined that the Office365 conversion will occur in 2017 early 2018 than its original scheduled date of 2019.

Also our Internal network appears to be running on dial up. Thankfully not my area, but does add another layer of crap to detail with.

Zil fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Renegret posted:

the reigns were passed

Lol throwing shade at the tech writers

:haw:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Data Graham posted:

Lol throwing shade at the tech writers

:haw:

once in 7th grade I scored a 20% on a spelling test and my mom grounded me

Spell check is both a blessing and a curse :colbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

once in 7th grade I scored a 20% on a spelling test and my mom grounded me

Spell check is both a blessing and a curse :colbert:

maybe you should also install a grammar check?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The consultant brings in his own Mac laptop. He called to ask how to make Dashboard permanently visible because he now has an external screen and he says he's getting annoyed by how the Dashboard constantly disappears.

As far as I know the only way to do this is with the old developer widget which I have no source for. He started getting angry and said that everyone else he knows can have the Dashboard stay onscreen all the time and how he couldn't be the only person on Earth that can't keep it visible.

This strange comment is what allowed me to figure out how to solve his problem. Who else can guess the solution? :pseudo:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The solution was turning on the external screen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

The consultant brings in his own Mac laptop. He called to ask how to make Dashboard permanently visible because he now has an external screen and he says he's getting annoyed by how the Dashboard constantly disappears.

As far as I know the only way to do this is with the old developer widget which I have no source for. He started getting angry and said that everyone else he knows can have the Dashboard stay onscreen all the time and how he couldn't be the only person on Earth that can't keep it visible.

This strange comment is what allowed me to figure out how to solve his problem. Who else can guess the solution? :pseudo:

I'm assuming "Doesn't know the difference between Dashboard and Dock"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm assuming "Doesn't know the difference between Dashboard and Dock"

:q:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

...iPad?

EDIT: Welp, too late with my guess. Still, I wouldn't put it past some users.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

you can have the dashboard treated as its own "space" so you can drag it to whatever monitor you want and work in a different display. i guess. if you're weird enough to want to do that. but yeah. he's thinking dock.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Re: e-mail discovery and US laws chat

When I went through sexual harassment training I learned a fun thing about the e-discovery process. The lawyer for our parent company basically told us that if you put your work e-mail on a personal device (their example was a phone) then theoretically the investigator could jump to any other data on your personal phone during the discovery process of a sexual harassment claim.

I don't know if he was just trying to scare us into not putting work poo poo on a personal device but that was an interesting tidbit that has stuck with me.

*edit* wait people actually use Dashboard?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why I have thousands of dick pics on my personal phone. Make them work for it if they want to search.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

That's why I have thousands of dick pics on my personal phone. Make them work for it if they want to search.

I have a script which continually registers new Google voice accounts and texts explicit photos and inappropriate remarks to them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pr0digal posted:

When I went through sexual harassment training I learned a fun thing about the e-discovery process. The lawyer for our parent company basically told us that if you put your work e-mail on a personal device (their example was a phone) then theoretically the investigator could jump to any other data on your personal phone during the discovery process of a sexual harassment claim.

I don't know if he was just trying to scare us into not putting work poo poo on a personal device but that was an interesting tidbit that has stuck with me.

"theoretically" is a pretty big catch all. If it's a sandboxed app there's no need. Don't put work as a pop3 or w/e but I don't think that's normal anymore.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0digal posted:

I question the logic behind this, but given the state of the legal system when it comes to technology he's probably right anyway.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not mixing work and personal phones is a cool and good practice anyways.

Noone at work has my personal number after the old CEO left, and I blocked his number :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
We're HIPAA-complaint, and thus the only work network my personal electronics connect to is the power outlet.

Please disregard my useage of the guest wifi, it's supposed to be isolated from the rest in any event.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today a user called in a ticket because they were having problems with email not being delivered. A member of Desktop Support emailed them for more information. The user did not respond to the email, so Desktop Support closed the ticket.

mewse
May 2, 2006

guppy posted:

Today a user called in a ticket because they were having problems with email not being delivered. A member of Desktop Support emailed them for more information. The user did not respond to the email, so Desktop Support closed the ticket.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
A ticket came in:

Word document won't print.

The file was sent to the user through email, but it's not infected in any way that can be detected by our antivirus suite. Printer is working fine and other documents print fine, tried the file on another workstation, still wouldn't print. Tried the file on my personal workstation, still wouldn't print. No error message at all, click print, select printer, hit the print button nothing happens. Tried saving it as a new file, still wouldn't print.

Copy/pasted the entire contents of the document to a brand new Word document and it prints beautifully :shrug:

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 20, 2017

• Locked thread