Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

I don't want a zombie president. They eat brains. :ohdear:

and look - the right's control over the media narrative forces another perfectly qualified democrat out of contention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the best thing about people repeating "bernie would have won" is that he didn't so when people ironically repeat it enough until they end up believing it they put themselves in the position of denying reality, which is lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hear OJ needs a job

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean he would have pretty obviously.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

boner confessor posted:

the best thing about people repeating "bernie would have won" is that he didn't so when people ironically repeat it enough until they end up believing it they put themselves in the position of denying reality, which is lol

This, but in reality Bernie would've won.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sanders is one thousand years old, give or take a couple hours, there is no way he's running again. 2016 was has chance, although I wish he would have won. He's good in a leadership position.

Would Kirsten Gillibrand be viewed as "another female senator from NY just like Clinton"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sanders is one thousand years old, give or take a couple hours, there is no way he's running again. 2016 was has chance, although I wish he would have won. He's good in a leadership position.

Would Kirsten Gillibrand be viewed as "another female senator from NY just like Clinton"?

He's doing everything you would do to get ready to run. He might not run but he's seriously thinking about it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

She supports the anti-BDS bill and is thus unacceptable to the left.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you mean unacceptable to anyone who cares about freedom o speech.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Groovelord Neato posted:

you mean unacceptable to anyone who cares about freedom o speech.

Just like zombie FDR, then?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Bernie will probably vote for that piece of poo poo if it gets a vote.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rigel posted:

Which means all the Republicans would be safe too, another red senate

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rigel posted:

Doesn't have to be human, or living brains for that matter. And if so, well we got enough Republicans to tide them over until we've gotten what we need out of them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

He's not "young" but Sherrod Brown is still my pick for 2020.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Crows Turn Off posted:

:agreed:

but also disagreed he will run if needbe. but also agreed cause we need someone younger and bernie would be good in a leadership position

Trabisnikof posted:

is that not unacceptable to you? :prepop:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

He's not "young" but Sherrod Brown is still my pick for 2020.

If Bernie doesn't run I hope he gets behind someone like Brown early.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

boner confessor posted:

My objection to "bernie would have won" (probably true though) is that its not productive, and seems to have an implied ", you idiot" unspoken at the end of it, which makes other Dems who voted for someone else defensive. A better line is "well, that didn't work, maybe we can try convincing people that progressives are right"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean he would have pretty obviously.

i mena yeah, if he hadn't had lost the election he would have won th election i guess

but he didnt tho

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
excuse me the rules clearly state that we shall not re litigate the primary

clear as day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

is that not unacceptable to you? :prepop:

I judge candidates based on a more holistic metric than these single issues. That's how I was able to vote for Obama in 2012 even after he didn't free the slaves his administration uses in factories.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rigel posted:

My objection to "bernie would have won" (probably true though) is that its not productive, and seems to have an implied ", you idiot" unspoken at the end of it, which makes other Dems who voted for someone else defensive. A better line is "well, that didn't work, maybe we can try convincing people that progressives are right"

It is productive. It's just as much forward looking as it is a comment on 2016. It's about where the party needs to be in 18 and 20 if it's gonna maximize it's wins.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

theflyingorc posted:

It can be manufactured. Being a threat to republicans generates "baggage".

Which is why Obama was such a good candidate. Give him ten more years of experience, he'd have had "baggage", too.

The result of this is that Democrats can't build anyone up to have a "name" because the Republicans will use that as a signal to smear them. There's no-one in politics clean enough to be immune to years of constant generation of smoke.

Looking forward to Senator Neverheardofhim as the candidate for the Democratic party in 2020.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Our president is a literal child.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hear OJ needs a job

Trump should offer OJ a position. I'm sure juice would take a stab at it. Maybe he'd make a killing in Washington. I hear the hours are murder, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Starmaker posted:

What was FDR's slogan? Can we just steal that?

E: if we're choosing our form of leadership, I vote philosopher king

"Happy Days Are Here Again"

So, not really.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't like it either. But I don't think there is a single politician who I would agree with all of the time.

As long as their policies align with mine the overwhelming majority of the time, I feel that's better than any previous President.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol imagine being the kind of person that whined about obama being undignified and then watching that loving clip and going THAT'S OUR BIG STRONG BOY!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Please re-distinguish Trumpchat from Democratchat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That new slogan would be improved if they replaced everything after "A Better Deal" with "A Better America".

Comedy option: Replace or add "A Better Tomorrow" :unsmigghh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Like my pet bird died around the same time Antonin Scalia did, and if a magical creature had appeared and given me the choice between bringing one of the two of them back to life, I would still have my pet bird, and I don't even think that makes me a bad person.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have given Scalia his life back with the condition that he survives Trump's term.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

There is no room in the party right now for a nominee who is where I am on Israel. That is just reality...

BarbarianElephant posted:

The result of this is that Democrats can't build anyone up to have a "name" because the Republicans will use that as a signal to smear them. There's no-one in politics clean enough to be immune to years of constant generation of smoke.

Looking forward to Senator Neverheardofhim as the candidate for the Democratic party in 2020.

I'm fine with President Murphy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

regarding the anti-BDS bill, from what I've read, people are overreacting to it. I mean, yes it is a terrible bill that should have no support, but the reaction from almost every Dem senator when the ACLU came out against is basically "wait, what? The bill really does that? I'll have to look into it, I had no idea."

They hadn't studied it, they just saw something that looked innocuous from what seemed to be a pro-Israel group and said "sure, I'll support it." The legislation probably doesn't even discuss horrifying penalties for boycotting, it probably just says "these activities are now added to the list on this subsection", and you have to dig up all the references and discuss it with lawyers before you figure it out.

The ACLU did the hard work and said "hey dumbasses, stop supporting this"

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Young Freud posted:

That new slogan would be improved if they replaced everything after "A Better Deal" with "A Better America".

Comedy option: Replace or add "A Better Tomorrow" :unsmigghh:

A Better Tomorrow 2 was better

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So... Obama 2.0? Sounds fine by me.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think Trump presents a real chance to nominate someone human that's not a senator or governor. A small town mayor would even be an amazing candidate if they were human and could run a good campaign. Winning 2020 will be about showing the American people that Democrats are better servants and are more in touch with everyday America. We don't need an existing nation Neal figure to run.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

theflyingorc posted:

hahaha holy poo poo yes it can, it just takes time.

Almost every single one of Hillary's scandals was literally nothing.

Obama spent nearly 10 years in office and they literally gave up trying to find dirt on him and just went ahead with Hillary.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

The Dems Scream Death as OCare dies! -Democratic Party, 2018

Democrats 2018: Death Screamers sounds pretty sick

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rigel posted:

Bernie would have won against Trump. I think Bernie would have lost against Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio. I also think Clinton would have won against Bush or Rubio. I don't think supporting Clinton was dumb (since I did support Clinton!). Under the normal rules of politics, Clinton wins, and against any other republican we're playing by the normal rules. Supporting Clinton just meant you didn't see the extent to which the rules were destroyed. I think most Bernie people ALSO didn't see that the rules were broken - some did, but most people assumed Clinton was winning.

Now, the rules ARE broken, and I believe they remain broken at least through 2020. So we need someone who is not exactly a buttoned up perfectionist like Clinton.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Obama spent nearly 10 years in office and they literally gave up trying to find dirt on him and just went ahead with Hillary.

Lol someone has already forgotten about birtherism, fast and furious, Jade helm, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

This was pretty much literally Obama though.

• Locked thread