Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

All DLC on sale 33% off until Monday.

I have all DLC minus Beastmen, Welvels, and Dorky Chaos.

What is this horde mechanic the beastmen use?

Love Beastmen. Unlike Chaos they can...

A) Ambush
B) Loot & Raze in a single action
C) Bunch up their hordes since there's no attrition for being close together

Plus their units are some of the most fun in the entire game, especially Minotaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

verbal enema posted:

All DLC on sale 33% off until Monday.

I have all DLC minus Beastmen, Welvels, and Dorky Chaos.

What is this horde mechanic the beastmen use?

Beastmen are really fun, Chaos not so much.

The horde mechanics mean you don't occupy any towns, instead each stack has horde buildings you upgrade. Unlike Chaos, Beastmen can hide their armies and travel through impassable terrain with beast paths, so they're very sneaky and maneuverable. Beastmen are all about raiding your way through enemy territory, burning down vulnerable towns and sneaking away if a big army comes after you. In battle they're mostly about bumrushing the enemy and as often mentioned in the thread, minotaurs are very good and fun to use.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Scooped up the Beastmen dlc. See how far I get in this Wurzag campaign and then I guess I'll fool around with them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Chaos would be vastly improved if they could just sack and raze on the same turn, especially since they need money constantly and their ability to heal wounded is terrible.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Krell decays like every other summon, that seems kinda bad.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah that Krell add is garbage

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Krell... smells !?!?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
At the end of the day Kemmler is still disappointing, so i guess nothing of value was lost.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Maybe it will get changed

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
At least he's in the game now. Modding unit stats and costs and skills are pretty easy. Krell could be really useful if he just had tweaked numbers, so it's mods to the rescue!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Chaos would be vastly improved if they could just sack and raze on the same turn, especially since they need money constantly and their ability to heal wounded is terrible.

Can't you sack and then immediately attack again to raze?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Can't you sack and then immediately attack again to raze?

iirc you can sack and then awaken tribe on the same turn, but razing consumes an entire second turn

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

At least he's in the game now. Modding unit stats and costs and skills are pretty easy. Krell could be really useful if he just had tweaked numbers, so it's mods to the rescue!

Yeah, just having the fancy model ingame means the modders can decide if they want Krell to be a stand alone hero or whatever else they can manage.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Apparently Kemmler will have a red skill that buffs Krell, but it won't be added until the Norsca patch. I can't image why they'd split the update like that.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ZeusJupitar posted:

Apparently Kemmler will have a red skill that buffs Krell, but it won't be added until the Norsca patch. I can't image why they'd split the update like that.

Lmao what

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, that's kind of bizarre.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is CA still under Sega? I remember them being super weird with allocating for patches even back in the Rome days

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You rarely need to raze as Chaos. Their ability to sack without razing is an asset.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ZeusJupitar posted:

Man I just looked for that in game and got really confused. As it stands right now Krell is literally just a spell that isn't super amazing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Might start up a Bret campaign some time this weekend, having never tried them since release. What should my priorities be? Who's your favorite LL?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Might start up a Bret campaign some time this weekend, having never tried them since release. What should my priorities be? Who's your favorite LL?

The Fay Enchantress is one of the best, and Carcassone get a thing where your castle will spawn constant greenskin rebellions for the first ~25 turns. It's a good thing though because you can farm them for money, experience and chivalry. Keep your army outside the walls so there's more unrest (or raid yourself if you're un-chivalrous). Prioritize the anti-greenskin techs and beat them up for a while. Then you can expand into Estalia/Tilea, or try to take Mousillon if it's still undead. With Bretonnian factions you don't have to grow large to complete your objectives so you can just bide your time and get the confederation techs and unite Bretonnia that way. You'll probably want to try to make peace with the wood elves.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Krell Smells

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Hadn't played in a while, all the Skarsnik talk convinced me to have another go at his campaign. I remember last time I was too preoccupied with retaking his home city which took a while then leaves you in the most boring part of the map. Ignoring that instantly has made the campaign a lot more fun.

One thing I think Call of Warhammer (the MTW2 warhammer mod) did that I thought was better is elite unit scarcity. You had a small pool (often just 1 per recruitment building) available for all elite units, once you recruited them you'd have to wait a while for it to refill. Losing a unit of blood dragons or something was devastating, but on the other hand they were incredibly strong and actually stood out in your army.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I just realised that Norsca means Halflings are possible...

I mean, would be hard to see how they would work on campaign map but come on... 'flings! Maybe a horde/mercenary deal who can hire themselves out to factions. Chefs for buffs etc. Aim is that you gotta get paid and special ingredients and party.

Edit: final quest is to feed the ogre king so much he is satisfied, thus defeating The Maw

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

NLJP posted:

I just realised that Norsca means Halflings are possible...

I mean, would be hard to see how they would work on campaign map but come on... 'flings! Maybe a horde/mercenary deal who can hire themselves out to factions. Chefs for buffs etc. Aim is that you gotta get paid and special ingredients and party.

Edit: final quest is to feed the ogre king so much he is satisfied, thus defeating The Maw

Halflings would likely be better (well, perhaps not better, but more likely to be added to the game in) in a role similar to that of the Fimir. Namely, being a few unit options in other races roster. Empire or Tilean mercs could get a few halfling options I suppose.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like playing as Chaos. More than beastmen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

:stare:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Glenn Quebec posted:

I actually really like the Chaos Warriors aesthetic, but I have to install mods to play them anymore. Their Horde Mechanics are just too barebones and unfun

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kaza42 posted:

I actually really like the Chaos Warriors aesthetic, but I have to install mods to play them anymore. Their Horde Mechanics are just too barebones and unfun

I agree, Chaos theoretically should be my favorite faction in TWW1 but their implementation is so halfassed that even their death metal viking aesthetic and heavy infantry monster mash playstyle can't make it interesting.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Chaos campaign for me usually revolves around getting to the point you can recruit rank 9 chosen and supporting units and auto resolve every siege battle 90% in your favor while all the land armies run away from you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yup Chaos more than any campaign is an auto-resolve fest. It just wasn't fun for me after a while but I appreciate that some folks like it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Chaos has to be the army that least plays in game like their Lore/Vibe would suggest. On Paper: Endless waves of blood thirsty evil warriors rampaging across the land, threatening the very existence of mortal races. In Reality: Small, scared little army desperately trying to hide and dance its way around triple stacks of Kislev and Norsca so it can raid in an abandoned corner of the map.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I still don't understand why they don't have an ambush stance

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I think, in theory, because you're supposed to be some sort inexorable horde. But it doesn't really work that way. SFO makes being Chaos a lot more fun because if you're Archaeon, you negate the infighting penalty and can have a real roaming horde.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So here is how the Krell update works, Heinrich starts with a skill on a 135 cooldown at the start of a fight that summons Krell in the same manner as raising dead or Ghorst's wight king summon, he does good damage but takes the summoned unit damage which seems a bit silly on something like Krell.

Needing to wait over 2 minutes to use him is a little annoying with the whole vampire counts rushdown playstyle.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A bigger underlying problem with the implementation of Krell, is that he smells.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The infighting mechanic just seems really dumb and ill-thought out. If it's something that needs to be ingame for whatever reason, it feels like something that should be attached to Orcs or Beastmen, not the undivided hordes of Chaos.

These hordes of marauders unified in the name of all four dark gods can't stand too close to each other, because even though they want to wipe out everyone in the world in the name of chaos, the people they hate the most are those jerks in the other horde.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Krell's lines are worth the wait. Going to try to make him work in mp. Played a few matches with him so far but the problem I see with the Kemmler and Krell duo is they're both on foot so you can't kill the enemy lord if they're mounted unless you mob them with blood knights at the same time. Bringing a death vampire to spirit leech the enemy lord might make it work. Krell seems really good at cutting through infantry. He has a huge splash attack and a lot of damage. You just need healing auras to prop him up. Backed up by a mortis engine and a necromancer he can stay alive for a while.

It sucks that he's tied to Kemmler through a summon and he shouldn't degenerate since his job basically becomes to babysit Kemmler who for some reason is one of the only spellcasters without a mount.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 20, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's a super half baked lovely mechanic. Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I would have rather krell been available via the raise dead menu for armies lead by kemmler and was immediately disbanded if kemmler wasn't present in the stack

• Locked thread