Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

I really liked iZombie, but to be honest I've only read a few issues because I'm really lazy at ordering physical comics.

The show is way better than the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

X-O posted:

I mean yeah, there's some stuff there that makes you go "Oh wait was that... oh" in retrospect. Like Prime and the whole child fantasy part of it really sets of some alarm bells.

The child fantasy thing isn't particularly eyebrow-raising: that goes back as far as Captain Marvel, at least, and around the same time as Prime, you had Rage, who actually got kicked out of the Avengers when they learned he was way underage.

That said, just outta curiosity I read Prime #1 and literally the very first thing that happens is Prime beating up a gym teacher for molesting one of his students.

In theory, people are innocent until proven guilty, but however this shakes out, a smarter and more qualified person than I could probably do a worthwhile reading of Jones's work through this lens.

Lurdiak posted:

George Romero died, so there's a 48 hour moratorium on complaining about zombies in comics.

Marvel's 70s zombie stuff was better than it had any right to be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pastry of the Year posted:

In theory, people are innocent until proven guilty,

I'd argue the standards for guilt in the public consciousness shouldn't be the same ones as in a court of law.

Bill Cosby, Donald Trump.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

OJ Simpson.

X-O posted:

The show is way better than the comics.
I also really liked the show, although I dropped out after season 2 and I can't even remember why.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First George Romero, now Martin Landau. This day loving sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

First George Romero, now Martin Landau. This day loving sucks.

Goddamn lovely day. I'm scared who #3 will be.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I really liked iZombie, but to be honest I've only read a few issues because I'm really lazy at ordering physical comics.

I'm gonna say something I never thought I'd ever say:

The show is better. Like, I love the comic, and there's stuff I miss from there. But holy poo poo is the show good. Great chemistry between the cast, an actual plot, minimal relationship bullshit (at least compared to the rest of the genre). The third season just dropped on Netflix.

EDIT: Oh hey, I should have read the next page. Maybe my opinion isn't so out there

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I'm gonna say something I never thought I'd ever say:

The show is better. Like, I love the comic, and there's stuff I miss from there. But holy poo poo is the show good. Great chemistry between the cast, an actual plot, minimal relationship bullshit (at least compared to the rest of the genre). The third season just dropped on Netflix.

EDIT: Oh hey, I should have read the next page. Maybe my opinion isn't so out there

I don't think I've heard one person say they like the comic over the show.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, the comic has more Mike Allred art in it!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Changing the protagonist's name to Olivia Moore was a stroke of pure genius.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, the comic has more Mike Allred art in it!

So does the show!('s intro) I do miss the mod ghost, but at least they worked the were-terrier into it.

EDIT: oh I just saw you said ":more" rip me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Goddamn lovely day. I'm scared who #3 will be.

Doctor Who. :qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

I don't think I've heard one person say they like the comic over the show.

The show is really generic and forgettable.

Ghostlight posted:

Changing the protagonist's name to Olivia Moore was a stroke of pure genius.

How is a cheap pun pure genius?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Puns are the highest form of wordplay and therefore wit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I got the Hickman Avengers omni and it seems to be in a proper reading order, though I forget the specifics exactly.

Avengers 1-3
New Avengers 1-6
Avengers 4-6
Avengets 7-9
Avengers 10-13
New Avengers 7-12
Avengers 14-17
Infinity 1
Infinity 2-5
Avengers 18-23
Infinity 6

Is how it's listed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I got the Hickman Avengers omni and it seems to be in a proper reading order, though I forget the specifics exactly.

Avengers 1-3
New Avengers 1-6
Avengers 4-6
Avengets 7-9
Avengers 10-13
New Avengers 7-12
Avengers 14-17
Infinity 1
Infinity 2-5
Avengers 18-23
Infinity 6

Is how it's listed.

Ugh, that's a way different reading order than I was expecting :sigh:
Infinity and New Avengers are both all hosed up there.
Welp!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 18, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That can't possibly be how it's actually printed can it? That totally messes up Infinity.

Edit:

This Reddit post suggests this is the order (not including the additional content):

Avengers #1-3
New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #4-5
New Avengers #4-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
Infinity #1
New Avengers #8
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6

quote:

So what's changed? Marvel has settled the issue over if Avengers 1-3 or NA 1-3 should be read first by placing Avengers at the forefront of everything in the omnibus. Although Avengers 44 pretty much settled this debate in my opinion given it's closing lines and that was change I had made back then. A few list thrown around still place NA1-3 in front you can now all laugh at them and tell them how they are wrong. The only real change from my old list is combining Avengers 4-5 and New Avengers 4-6 into their own chunks. I had originally placed each 4th issue next to one another and dividing them from the rest of the series but the ordering here works just fine when reading if not better than my own.
My only real complaint with the omnibus order is that it places New Avengers #8 behind Infinity #1 where the original graph made by Hickman had it set as a prelude. This is entirely a personal matter however and to my knowledge every collection of Infinity has it in the order presented above and collected in the Omnibus. So the issue is mute and apparently it is something Hickman himself changed later.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 18, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You're right, the previous order is how it's listed on the credits page, but I'm not familiar enough with each issue to know so I'm glad someone else did it for me.

It's hard to check since the issues are not marked in the actual omnibus, but I picked a random issue, did the research and can confirm that Infinity #4 leads into Avengers #21, which seems to match up with the official reading order that came out when the book was still running.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know people aren't as big on Batman once it switched animation styles, but it still had it's moments.
https://twitter.com/haIcyondigest/status/887168885606232065

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm Batman's gigantic chin.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm Batman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't tell the kids, it would be incredibly disappointing for them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

omfg

quote:

March 28 brings the first issue of The Seeds, which will surely be of interest to comics addicts due to the legendary creative lineup. The writer is former Daredevil and Catwoman scribe Ann Nocenti, and the artist is Hawkeye and Immortal Iron Fist veteran David Aja. The story is set in “an imminent America where fact-based reporting is gasping its last breath” and “flora and fauna have begun to mutate.” In that world is a journalist who comes across a massive story that she, for undisclosed reasons, can’t report on. In lieu of that, she pitches “the biggest myth of her career.” “Ann is a brilliant writer,” Berger says. “And David is an artist’s artist. David doesn’t draw that much, but when he does, it’s like the world stops.”

this is going to be so incredibly good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like that retro looking cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you read any recent Nocenti?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aja will bring the best out of her and we'll get 80s Nocenti

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I see Harley has been enjoying some time with Nier: Automata

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I have faith. Especially since she's been doing a lot of work as a journalist in recent years, and I'm betting that's going to inform the work. And yeah, David Aja - remember that Daredevil story she did with him a few years back? Magic.

Lightning Lord posted:

Aja will bring the best out of her and we'll get 80s Nocenti

Right, yeah, my fingers are crossed for that pure angry empathy and humanism.

And too, I think it's extremely cool that Karen Berger is going to EIC her own line of comics. She's a legend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone read that overhyped Archie issue?

Betty lives but she may be paralyzed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, Waid's Archie has overall been disappointing for me after a really strong first issue and some fun moments. At the very least, it hasn't been as fun as Jughead under both Chip and North.

So, earlier in the year my employers decided that after I spent months ringing the alarm that things were going poorly, getting salty at me for pushing back against their poor decisions, then decided when their bad decisions actually crumbled to throw me under the bus. I lucked out and literally found a new job immediately, but I'd invested a lot and it was pretty devastating. Anyway my wife was amazing and let me put my severance towards finding an artist and working on a comic project I'd have bouncing around for years. It's really helped keep me consistent and focus myself away from dwelling on stuff.

Anyway, I'm putting it online if anyone wants to check it out.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 20, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, Waid's Archie has overall been disappointing for me after a really strong first issue and some fun moments. At the very least, it hasn't been as fun as Jughead under both Chip and North.

So, earlier in the year my employers decided that after I spent months ringing the alarm that things were going poorly, getting salty at me for pushing back against their poor decisions, then decided when their bad decisions actually crumbled to throw me under the bus. I lucked out and literally found a new job immediately, but I'd invested a lot and it was pretty devastating. Anyway my wife was amazing and let me put my severance towards finding an artist and working on a comic project I'd have bouncing around for years. It's really helped keep me consistent and focus myself away from dwelling on stuff.

Anyway, I'm putting it online if anyone wants to check it out.

This looks cool! Glad things are looking up for you.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has there ever been a hero named Maverick? I feel like there would have had to have been, but I can't picture him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has there ever been a hero named Maverick? I feel like there would have had to have been, but I can't picture him.

Yes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_North_(comics)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was a GI Joe character and a Jim Lee X-Men character, also a Western TV show and it's Tom Cruise's call sign in Top Gun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guess what's back in print, weirdoes and gorehounds.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Strange Aeon posted:

Just picture the most 90's looking hero ever and you have pictured Wolverine's pal, Maverick.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
"However, Omega Red soon attacked the building, looking for the carbonadium synthesizer."

What the hell is the carbonadium synthesizer? It's mentioned like 4 times on Maverick's wiki page as something Omega Red has been looking for since the 60s. Is it just a macguffin?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

"However, Omega Red soon attacked the building, looking for the carbonadium synthesizer."

What the hell is the carbonadium synthesizer? It's mentioned like 4 times on Maverick's wiki page as something Omega Red has been looking for since the 60s. Is it just a macguffin?

It would keep him from having a *sigh* Death Factor. Or at least control it, depends who you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

It synthesizes carbonadium. The malleable form of adamantium, which quelled Omega Red's Death Factor.

• Locked thread