Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The real jobs are in guillotines and guillotine accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Arthur Chu wrote some good poo poo about how gamers are entitled women hating assholes

he's got some kinda fucky opinions on other things.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
see you say that but then in five years theres a glut of guillotinewrights

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Oh yeah... he's the dude who gamed Jeopardy.

So whats the deal with him hating Chapo?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in fairness chu did drive jeopardy fans (which exist apparently) mad with his use of the forrest bounce so that was lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwagLLbEMs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Montasque posted:

he's pretty much the zegermans of twitter

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

twitter beefs dating back to gamergate. it's all dumb, don't bother.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"twitter beefs"

well that really sums up the countrys decline in one neat little package

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Arthur chu was an awful husband

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paranoid randroid posted:

"twitter beefs"

well that really sums up the countrys decline in one neat little package

Trump ran for President because Obama mocked him over birtherism which started as.... a twitter beef :monocle:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Twitter beef in my nothing burger.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
love hotake twitter beef

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
WHAN that Aprille with his shoures soote the droghte of Marche hath perced to the roote and bathed every veyne in swich twitere beeves

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Montasque posted:

I don't know a ton a about his politics but he hates leftists a lot, and loves using the phrase "alt-left," which he thinks are worse than the alt-right. So I don't have much of a desire to learn anymore, that and I've been blocked for a long time.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Lol gently caress this idiot party they wanna put me in jail lmao forever

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Greedy leftists want to take the money he earned answering trivia

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Lol gently caress this idiot party they wanna put me in jail lmao forever

Harris is in favor of decriminalization

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

logikv9 posted:

you're always gonna need doctors, can't automate that away anytime soon

lawyers too unless we go full gits
Lawyers in 10 years are gonna need to learn coding.

Suck it old lawyers who can't/refuse to understand arcane systems!
:ironicat:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

logikv9 posted:

the paramedic rushed into your room. he places the bag on the floor, takes out his equipment, and immediately goes on WebMD
Google Glass is back, for enterprise solutions.

One of them is doctors with a scribe on the other end manually typing out stuff. It's pretty neat and like having a personal assistant that notices things the doctor doesn't because they're busy with the patient.

Soon someone make an app that automates that and those scribes will lose their jobs

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

papa johns

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in fairness chu did drive jeopardy fans (which exist apparently) mad with his use of the forrest bounce so that was lol

The what?

e: Forrest implemented a strategy known as the "Forrest Bounce" in his play to potentially confuse opponents.[16] (Forrest referred to the technique as the "Rubin Bounce" after a law school friend, Donn Rubin, who first suggested it.[17]) The Forrest Bounce is applied in the Jeopardy! and Double Jeopardy! rounds with the player in control of the board "bouncing" between different categories rather than continuing through individual categories in sequence. According to Forrest, "The basic point is, you know where you're going next and [your competitors] don't."[17]

:lol:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Suckzonington Post
July 20 2017

Millennials Abandoning "Big Gun"..And Catalyzing a Little Gun Rennaissance

For years, major gun makers have been household names. Ruger, Remington, Colt, and Smith & Wesson have dominated the industry and iconography of firearms in a tradition as old as interchangeable parts.

Despite surging profits and healthy sales growth, industry analysts have noted a distinct, waning enthusiasm among young consumers. While brand managers at the blue chip gun firms typically blame the liberal bent among a generation that overwhelmingly backed Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, both public advocates of gun control, millennial experts point to another trend: inclusive exclusivity.

Just as Anheuser-Busch and Miller-Coors have ceded market share and cultural cachet to smaller, nimbler brands aimed at more discerning young drinkers, millennials are saying "no thanks" to the latest Magnum Research Desert Eagle, but saying "yes please" to a new crop of small batch guns from young, artisinal gunsmiths.

"It's all about reconnection with ancient trades, and the guarantee of quality that comes from buying from basically your neighbor or dorm mate," says Dirk Langor, a Brand Strategist for Millennial Consumer Trends (a former vendor for the Martin O'Malley campaign). "It's exciting to watch young consumers find brands they can relate to, that aren't just coming out of some faceless multinational corporate gun machine."

Schuyler Bigbitch, a 24-year old gunsmith based in Gowanus, Brooklyn, agreed. "My customers are, you know, into quality. Good beer, good coffee. It makes sense they'd want good guns, too."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

The Suckzonington Post
July 20 2017

Schuyler Bigbitch, a 24-year old gunsmith based in Gowanus, Brooklyn, agreed. "My customers are, you know, into quality. Good beer, good coffee. It makes sense they'd want good guns, too."

I'd buy Bigbitch's latest long-arm, assuming I could afford the donation to the NYPD, gatekeeper of gun-rights in the city, of course.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

logikv9 posted:

you're always gonna need doctors, can't automate that away anytime soon

lawyers too unless we go full gits

lawyers have already been automated away

any given lawyer used to have a ton of paralegals and clerks and whatnot combing through papers and poo poo all day, that's all been replaced with one intern searching a legal database a couple hours a day. that's why the job prospects for newly graduated lawyers are so sad right now - most of the grunt work has been automated away, so the demand for manpower with legal training is way down

the one guy who gets up in front of a jury and tells them to convict the black guy will have a job, but all the people who look at the evidence and search old cases for legal precedents will be replaced by a computer algorithm that just beams potentially relevant facts into that guy's brain

also, RIP Dems. "better skills, better jobs, better wages" is going to bomb and the Republicans are going to pummel them over and over until they learn to shut the gently caress up about skills. retraining is garbage for idiots who think the problem is with the workers rather than the employers or the system

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

personally im holding off on forming an opinion until i see the whole platform drop on monday

I expect nothing but know I'll still be disappointed.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I think I get it

The Better Deal slogan was actually for 2016 but it got delayed as every kickstarter did when Hillary didn't win the primaries as easily as intended, throwing their entire production off kilter for 8-10 months.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
retraining is good in the sense that it helps people transition from jobs that won't exist. it is bad in the sense that to work it should 1. not only be free, but actually pay you to participate in the re-training and 2. should guarantee you a job after completion. a job training program that is not economically feasible to join with no promise of a job after is pointless

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

lawyers have already been automated away

any given lawyer used to have a ton of paralegals and clerks and whatnot combing through papers and poo poo all day, that's all been replaced with one intern searching a legal database a couple hours a day. that's why the job prospects for newly graduated lawyers are so sad right now - most of the grunt work has been automated away, so the demand for manpower with legal training is way down

the one guy who gets up in front of a jury and tells them to convict the black guy will have a job, but all the people who look at the evidence and search old cases for legal precedents will be replaced by a computer algorithm that just beams potentially relevant facts into that guy's brain

also, RIP Dems. "better skills, better jobs, better wages" is going to bomb and the Republicans are going to pummel them over and over until they learn to shut the gently caress up about skills. retraining is garbage for idiots who think the problem is with the workers rather than the employers or the system

with any luck their platform will be better, but I predict it will consist of a vague mention of minimum wage, non committal grunt about single payer, and a bunch of buzzword economics bullshit front and center.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ThndrShk2k posted:

I think I get it

The Better Deal slogan was actually for 2016 but it got delayed as every kickstarter did when Hillary didn't win the primaries as easily as intended, throwing their entire production off kilter for 8-10 months.

I think I get it

democrats are garbage idiots

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Arthur Chu is a useful icon of an all-performance no-substance liberal who claims to be a big feminist but doesn't actually do anything to help women if it doesn't primarily help him.

The best Chu article is this review of a documentary about him that was written in his hometown paper.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/04/ciff_2017_who_is_arthur_chu_fo.html

quote:

If you're a fan of Jeopardy!, you already know the game clue that is answered: "Who is Arthur Chu?"

The clue: He is the self-described nerd who used aggressive and unconventional strategies to build a streak of 11 wins on Jeopardy! in 2014, a success that created a backlash of angry, vicious trolls on Twitter.

This documentary, directed by Scott Drucker and Yu Gu, looks at how Chu responds to the hate, and how he tries to shape his moment of fame into a lasting career of writing, speaking and acting.

With almost $300,000 in winnings, it does not take long for him to quit his job at an insurance company in the Cleveland area to focus on his new goals. He begins to write about the sexism and racism of nerd culture for the Huffington Post, Salon, the Daily Beast and other websites, explaining that he wants to do something positive with his newfound "celebrity."

He tries to explain - but not excuse - the mindset of the nerdy guys who hate women mostly because they feel rejected by women. And he wades into the blistering Gamergate battle, taking the side of female gamers and game developers when they complained about their treatment by male gamers -- who responded, naturally, by treating them even worse, attacking and vilifying them.

Meanwhile, though, the self-involved Arthur neglects and pretty much marginalizes his own wife, Eliza, who suffers from a debilitating chronic condition but puts what energy she has into supporting Arthur's hopes and dreams. In one telling scene, she tries to talk with him about her own struggles, and her own dream (writing a sci-fi novel), while Arthur scrolls through his phone, never looking up at her.

Arthur - who has less depth than a full-length documentary requires -- repeats his noble goal of doing something positive a few too many times. He appears driven more by his need for attention and fame than by his need to be a hero.

In any case, the hero of the film turns out to be Eliza. You end up rooting for her to achieve her dream.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
my biggest problem with arthur chu is the lack of decorum with which he played jeopardy, the gentleman's game show.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Iron Twinkie posted:

I expect nothing but know I'll still be disappointed.

im expecting one or two real dumb and bad things, a whole bunch of fiddly bullshit that nobody who isnt a lawyer knows or cares about, and one or two good things

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you're going to need to retrain those all-american coalminers or whatever, that's what the suck zone was claiming not too long back

ofc that was before we realized that all coal miners will be dead before 2018, trump bless

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i thought chu did the jump tactic to find double jeopardy faster idk

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

retraining is good in the sense that it helps people transition from jobs that won't exist. it is bad in the sense that to work it should 1. not only be free, but actually pay you to participate in the re-training and 2. should guarantee you a job after completion. a job training program that is not economically feasible to join with no promise of a job after is pointless

actually retraining is poo poo

it's just a lovely consolation prize for someone who would otherwise be completely hosed

instead of losing your job and being completely unemployable because your career is gone, you just get to start all over again as an entry-level grunt who's now competing for jobs against freshly minted college grads because your entire education and work experience was invalidated overnight

yeah let's take a loving fifty-year-old coal worker, send them to a coding bootcamp for a few months, and then dump him in the job market to compete against twenty-year-olds with more education and more coding experience than them. great idea. problem solved.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
why are we retraining coal miners to be coders in the middle of WV, a place where I am nearly certain they don't have internet let alone electricity

why not retrain into fields involving renewables

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i don't know a single poster from there and that tells me that they lack modern civilization beyond a TV at the center of each town playing fox 24/7

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

logikv9 posted:

i thought chu did the jump tactic to find double jeopardy faster idk

it was. the only way it throws off opponents is if there's some gimmick answer pattern that earlier questions in the column show how to format the answer

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

logikv9 posted:

why are we retraining coal miners to be coders in the middle of WV, a place where I am nearly certain they don't have internet let alone electricity

why not retrain into fields involving renewables

because tech lobbyists have been whispering into democrats' ears for decades that we NEED more coders (to bring wages down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

im expecting one or two real dumb and bad things, a whole bunch of fiddly bullshit that nobody who isnt a lawyer knows or cares about, and one or two good things

The dumb thing will be arrest those that say Israel should take it down a notch

• Locked thread