Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lockback posted:

I have the cheapest 1070 listed in the Twin Cities @ $400 but no buyers. My plan is to sell at $400 and then scoop up a 1080 on the crash but I am starting to lose patience anyway. I have had offers at $380, which is still a nice price, but not really worth it for me.

I've found that you pretty much never want to have the cheapest Craigslist listing because people assume there is something wrong with it.

Also everyone is going to try and knock a few bucks off the price. Use it to your advantage and price higher so they can negotiate you down and feel like they are getting a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shifty Pony posted:

I've found that you pretty much never want to have the cheapest Craigslist listing because people assume there is something wrong with it.

Also everyone is going to try and knock a few bucks off the price. Use it to your advantage and price higher so they can negotiate you down and feel like they are getting a deal.

Yeah, I had that going too and still had a lot of lowball offers. I think the buying market is just drying up quickly. The 2-4 weeks until flood sounds about right.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

This guy uses CL, he knows whats up.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
FWIW right before the crypto craze took off I got a 1070 on craigs for 280 and a 1080 from facebook marketplace for 320.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Christ. I don't know what to do with all this stuff. There's still more to pick up.

13 R9 380's
4 RX 460's
3 R9 370's
6 AM3+ 970 mobos
7 PSUs

^ Just in this pic alone

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I would put the GPUs on ebay or sell them on craigslist ASAP, with the other hardware it's less urgent because it's not going to crash in value.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

I would put the GPUs on ebay or sell them on craigslist ASAP, with the other hardware it's less urgent because it's not going to crash in value.

Did get a nibble on CL for the whole lot of 380s, but they have not yet counter offered/replied.

Is $2k too much to ask for 13 R9 380s? My ad has them up for 200ea OBO.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Post all that poo poo for sale on ebay/CL/forum sales site of choice NOW and then start cleaning it up and getting it ready to go over the next few days while you wait for the lowballers and looky-loos to clear out and you actually end up selling it all.

Pro tip: best to sell a bit under "market value" now and actually get some still decent cash rather than trying to get $$$absolute top dollar$$$ since it looks like things may be on the tipping point of crashing.

edit: heh you posted while I was typing this up, seems like you got the right idea

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Post all that poo poo for sale on ebay/CL/forum sales site of choice NOW and then start cleaning it up and getting it ready to go over the next few days while you wait for the lowballers and looky-loos to clear out and you actually end up selling it all.

Pro tip: best to sell a bit under "market value" now and actually get some still decent cash rather than trying to get $$$absolute top dollar$$$ since it looks like things may be on the tipping point of crashing.

edit: heh you posted while I was typing this up, seems like you got the right idea

Fair enough. Lowered my asking price to $150 each which seems a bit lower than market.

e: Eugh stupid buttcoins.
e2: Put em in SA-Mart, too, if anyone needs a video card. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827434

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 19, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

another cryptocurrency caper, $37m in ether jacked

http://gizmodo.com/37-million-in-ether-stolen-as-people-refuse-to-learn-t-1797075264

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is actually good for ETH, because... gently caress I don't know but the price went slightly up

I self owned myself this week, I've been wanting a Switch for a few weeks now and I had the cash but for some reason I decided to buy a couple ETH with it instead of a Switch and Zelda.:blush:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This is actually good for ETH, because... gently caress I don't know but the price went slightly up

I self owned myself this week, I've been wanting a Switch for a few weeks now and I had the cash but for some reason I decided to buy a couple ETH with it instead of a Switch and Zelda.:blush:

Yeah, it jumped from 1.60 to 2.00 a day for me on a 1070. This poo poo is so loving stupid.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3.70 on a 1080ti, i wont stop until its below 2.
Crash is still a fair bit away at these prices. I might even pay off the 1080ti at these rates

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I still don't understand the crypto market fully, what would make the decline pause like this? Looking at the difficulty chart for ZCash it was steadily going up for a while but seems to have leveled off.

https://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/zcash-difficulty-chart

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

I still don't understand the crypto market fully, what would make the decline pause like this? Looking at the difficulty chart for ZCash it was steadily going up for a while but seems to have leveled off.

Profits have declined to the point where people are no longer comfortable buying new hardware, I guess.

poo poo seems very weird right now, there seems to be a lot of uncertainty about the Segwit2X patch (a relatively large conceptual change being deployed onto a 'production' system), to the extent that when it looks like it might kick in the prices dive, which tanks the price enough that miners move to other currencies.

There might be a degree of capital flight from Bitcoin to other currencies, but normally Bitcoin is the anchor and other coin prices move against Bitcoin rather than against USD. When Bitcoin goes up and down, the other currencies move up and down proportionally (in USD) as well.

It also doesn't help that Ethereum is going through a huge change to their core algorithm too, and there's some real questions in terms of security with larger pools (not majority but plurality) who might be able to do stake-grinding rewrite attacks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 20, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Also things are gonna be lolworthy in buttland now because a couple massive darknet markets got busted hard by the Dutch police today. Millions in illegal transactions, all tracked and IDed.

:munch:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Also things are gonna be lolworthy in buttland now because a couple massive darknet markets got busted hard by the Dutch police today. Millions in illegal transactions, all tracked and IDed.

:munch:

To be clear, they shut down the most popular site, and silently took over the 2nd most popular site for a while while they straight-up pocketed the site's transactions.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

univbee posted:

To be clear, they shut down the most popular site, and silently took over the 2nd most popular site for a while while they straight-up pocketed the site's transactions.

They also silently broke the automatic pgp encryption feature built into the messaging system of the second market, so they have plaintext of all the messages sent since some time after the 20th of June.

Including addresses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MaxxBot posted:

In addition to what others have said, you can't expect crypto markets to be rational. It is an entirely speculative commodity. There is no underlying fundamental value or utility for most of these 'currencies'. A few of them can be used to buy illegal things online, but most of them have no use at all. The price is buoyed solely by the hope that they will somehow be worth more in the future. It is hilariously unstable. Trying to predict the highs and lows is like trying to predict a roulette wheel.

Eh, it will probably bounce back. Probably. At least you didn't buy mining hardware. :shobon:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Glad these cards are selling fast! Already offloaded almost all the 380's.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wow you're losing out on untold riches man

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Wow you're losing out on untold riches man

The riches of Rigberries™.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
HELL YEAH! Bitcoin is now worth nearly $3,000 a coin!

Now I can afford EVEN MORE CRYPTO BURRITOS! WOO HOO!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

And of course I cashed out $200 worth of bitcoins immediately before this big rally :lol:

I've made over $700 from this poo poo so far so I can't really complain, probably close to $800 when I total up all of the card flipping profits and such. But I did spend like half of it on burritos, well worth it.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 21, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish I understood the tax rules etc surrounding this poo poo. It seems like "burritos" has become a meme because it doesn't produce enough income to live independently without a job, I get that. But it does seem to produce enough money that if you are without any other income being supported by people that you'll likely have to report it.

If you make $700 off it, I imagine you at least have to file for self employment tax, since the trigger on that is $400.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Craptacular! posted:

I wish I understood the tax rules etc surrounding this poo poo. It seems like "burritos" has become a meme because it doesn't produce enough income to live independently without a job, I get that. But it does seem to produce enough money that if you are without any other income being supported by people that you'll likely have to report it.

If you make $700 off it, I imagine you at least have to file for self employment tax, since the trigger on that is $400.

Yep, if you mine it you pay taxes on it as if it were normal income, valued the day you got the mining payout. If you buy it and it it goes up in value and you sell it you pay capital gains.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lol just don't pay taxes, idiots 😂

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Clarification for IRS agents: the previous comment was a "joke" meant for personal amusement and in no way indicative of my intense respect for taxation laws and institutions, which I obey to the fullest extent of the spirit and letter of the law

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol that reminds me I guess I need to remember to claim $32 in capital gains for converting some utterly worthless when mined doge meme coins into a video game on steam.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Self-employment tax is for people who are self-employed, not people who happen to make some money selling their assets. You still have to report the income regardless but that's not a big deal so long as you keep accurate records

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

QuarkJets posted:

Self-employment tax is for people who are self-employed, not people who happen to make some money selling their assets. You still have to report the income regardless but that's not a big deal so long as you keep accurate records

My understanding is that if you are using NiceHash, you are selling your compute time, which would be self-employment income. Then, you're paid in BitCoin (an asset). If the value of that BitCoin appreciates before you sell it the next week or whatever, you'd also owe short-term capital gains tax.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

QuarkJets posted:

So, the IRS guidance has been pretty clear that crypto mining income counts as ordinary income which you will owe self-employment tax on whenever it's mined, and then any difference in price between when you mine it and when you sell it is taxed as capital gains or loss.

You will owe the 15.3% off the top for all self-employment income, followed by regular income taxes at whatever your marginal bracket happens to be.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my 7970 that i shut off for being unprofitable is back to making 1.70 a day. What the hell bitcoin?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

So, the IRS guidance has been pretty clear that crypto mining income counts as ordinary income which you will owe self-employment tax on whenever it's mined, and then any difference in price between when you mine it and when you sell it is taxed as capital gains or loss.

You will owe the 15.3% off the top for all self-employment income, followed by regular income taxes at whatever your marginal bracket happens to be.

It doesn't say that:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

If you're using Nicehash, then you're classified as an independent contractor (providing a service for which you are paid in bitcoins) and you need to pay self-employment taxes. But mining cryptocurrencies is just the generation of capital assets, which is immediate income but not self-employment income.

It's the difference between selling junk at a yard sale and being paid to sell junk at a yard sale

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

It doesn't say that:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

If you're using Nicehash, then you're classified as an independent contractor (providing a service for which you are paid in bitcoins) and you need to pay self-employment taxes. But mining cryptocurrencies is just the generation of capital assets, which is immediate income but not self-employment income.

It's the difference between selling junk at a yard sale and being paid to sell junk at a yard sale

It very clearly says that

quote:

Q-8: Does a taxpayer who “mines” virtual currency (for example, uses computer resources to validate Bitcoin transactions and maintain the public Bitcoin transaction ledger) realize gross income upon receipt of the virtual currency resulting from those activities?

A-8: Yes, when a taxpayer successfully “mines” virtual currency, the fair market value of the virtual currency as of the date of receipt is includible in gross income. See Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more information on taxable income.

Fair market value of virtual currency on the date of receipt is includable in gross income. This 100% means that you're paying income taxes on it, not capital gains tax. Which as you don't have an employer who is paying the other half of the payroll tax, leaves you on the hook for self-employment tax.

Edit: Question 9 is even more relevant:

quote:

Q-9: Is an individual who “mines” virtual currency as a trade or business subject to self-employment tax on the income derived from those activities?

A-9: If a taxpayer’s “mining” of virtual currency constitutes a trade or business, and the “mining” activity is not undertaken by the taxpayer as an employee, the net earnings from self-employment (generally, gross income derived from carrying on a trade or business less allowable deductions) resulting from those activities constitute self-employment income and are subject to the self-employment tax.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Self-employment taxes aren't for all types of income earned outside of an employer. They're for all types of income earned while self-employed. For instance, if you sell a car that's a form of immediate gross income but that does not mean that you are a self-employed car dealer.

As a person using the GPU in your desktop to mine cryptocurrencies, you are generating immediate income in the form of a capital asset. But this isn't self-employment; you report the income but you don't pay self-employment taxes

e: Obviously that may change if you're an idiot installing racks of GPUs in your garage

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 21, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Self-employment taxes aren't for all types of income earned outside of an employer. They're for all types of income earned while self-employed. For instance, if you sell a car that's a form of immediate gross income but that does not mean that you are a self-employed car dealer.

You're right that coin trading gains or losses are capital gains. However, coin mining is ordinary income. If you build a car and then sell it, that's income that you would owe self-employment tax on, not capital gains. If you sell a car that you previously bought for a profit, that's capital gains. The IRS is being very explicit that mining counts as income and you owe self-employment tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3268778-where-to-report-bitcoin-mining-income-not-capital-gain-loss-from-trading

Edit: If I'm a very gifted painter and I make a painting then sell it for $50k, did I have a capital gain of $50k, or income of $50k? Do I have to pay self-employment taxes? The IRS says that's income, and yes you owe self-employment taxes.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 21, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Obviously all miners should just hire a chartered accountant to do their taxes from now on. Pay an accountant like 200 bucks to declare your $47 worth of burritos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

You're right that coin trading gains or losses are capital gains. However, coin mining is ordinary income. If you build a car and then sell it, that's income that you would owe self-employment tax on, not capital gains. If you sell a car that you previously bought for a profit, that's capital gains. The IRS is being very explicit that mining counts as income and you owe self-employment tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3268778-where-to-report-bitcoin-mining-income-not-capital-gain-loss-from-trading

Edit: If I'm a very gifted painter and I make a painting then sell it for $50k, did I have a capital gain of $50k, or income of $50k? Do I have to pay self-employment taxes? The IRS says that's income, and yes you owe self-employment taxes.

If you regularly produce and sell paintings for a living then yes, that is a business. But if you paint in your free time and happen to sell 1 painting for $500, are you self-employed then? I don't think so, the IRS doesn't seem to say that you are, and that's more akin to what we're talking about now than a professional painter.

Back to the IRS notice, I'm quoting this section:

quote:

If a taxpayer’s “mining” of virtual currency constitutes a trade or business, and the
“mining” activity is not undertaken by the taxpayer as an employee, the net earnings
from self-employment (generally, gross income derived from carrying on a trade or
business less allowable deductions) resulting from those activities constitute selfemployment
income and are subject to the self-employment tax.

The notice is explicitly differentiating between personal income and income earned as part of a business.

And the IRS defines self-employment in the following way:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/self-employed

quote:

Who is Self-Employed?
Generally, you are self-employed if any of the following apply to you.
You carry on a trade or business as a sole proprietor or an independent contractor.
You are a member of a partnership that carries on a trade or business.
You are otherwise in business for yourself (including a part-time business)

I don't think that mining cryptocurrency on your PC's single GPU constitutes running a business any more than selling a single painting would constitute running a business.

Heading to a casino and suddenly winning a bunch of money on the slots would not constitute being self-employed; making a living as a professional poker player constitutes being self-employed.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

If you regularly produce and sell paintings for a living then yes, that is a business. But if you paint in your free time and happen to sell 1 painting for $500, are you self-employed then? I don't think so, the IRS doesn't seem to say that you are, and that's more akin to what we're talking about now than a professional painter.

Back to the IRS notice, I'm quoting this section:

The notice is explicitly differentiating between personal income and income earned as part of a business.

And the IRS defines self-employment in the following way:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/self-employed

I don't think that mining cryptocurrency constitutes running a business any more than selling a single painting would constitute running a business

Heading to a casino and suddenly winning a bunch of money on the slots would not constitute being self-employed; making a living as a professional poker player constitutes being self-employed.

If you sell a single painting that you made for $500, you sure as hell owe self-employment tax. The cutoff is $400 for reporting income like that, and if you made the painting, then that's earned income, which is subject to the self employment tax. You can owe self employment tax on hobby income.

http://finance.zacks.com/income-subject-selfemployment-tax-9330.html

The reason why gambling winnings don't have self employment tax is because the IRS considers gambling winnings unearned income. Coin mining is considered earned income.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 21, 2017

• Locked thread