Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that is interesting. Zhang Lei might not be the cannon fodder "upper prince" like I thought. (I still really like his weird wheel demon too.)

Also, pleased to see Tsubeppa is possibly one of the "good", relatively speaking, princes, and may well take the position of what they wanted Harkenberg to be. I liked her from the moment I saw her, so her actually being decent as far as royalty goes and likely important, between her trying to play games with Tserriednich and this, is neat.

Jeez, though. Now I'm wondering who isn't going to be important here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unfortunately due to the way the war works I don't think pardoning the lower princes is going to be possible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know about that; part of being King, from what's been said previously, is making decisions as King and deciding how you claim your victory here. In all honesty I think one of the lesser Princes, like Kacho or Momoze, trying to take the throne for themselves and loving over Tsubeppa as a bigger threat to her victory plan than "nah, gotta kill your little brothers and sisters", in the off chance she were to get that far.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I'm genuinely surprised that the number of reasonable princes seems to only increase. Even Benjamin is far from what I assumed he'd be. Obviously a lot of this will break down over time and the nen beasts will complicate things for even the super passive princes but it's cool that killing off all the other candidates is really only the plan for like 3 princes. The private armies acting in "self-defense" is also a really interesting layer on everything.

I honestly really hated the boat as it was being set up, largely because I really dislike Kurapika, but man this is all super cool to read. I should've known better than to doubt Togashi.

Rip Bill though. Never say you won't go down easy in Hunter X Hunter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shimano is MVP. New MC right here

edit: Kurapica still has active ET, if the mother is kidnapped, put asleep or whatever, she won't be able to use the stolen ability.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EGSunBro posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that the number of reasonable princes seems to only increase. Even Benjamin is far from what I assumed he'd be. Obviously a lot of this will break down over time and the nen beasts will complicate things for even the super passive princes but it's cool that killing off all the other candidates is really only the plan for like 3 princes. The private armies acting in "self-defense" is also a really interesting layer on everything.

I honestly really hated the boat as it was being set up, largely because I really dislike Kurapika, but man this is all super cool to read. I should've known better than to doubt Togashi.

Rip Bill though. Never say you won't go down easy in Hunter X Hunter.

Though Ben is really angry, violent and arrogant, he just has an intelligent head on his shoulders.

Edit: Also putting the chapter link on the new page. https://imgur.com/a/lEmKi#AT7tx2w

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 20, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Edit: Also putting the chapter link on the new page. https://imgur.com/a/lEmKi#AT7tx2w

This was hilarious to me for some reason

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

frajaq posted:

This was hilarious to me for some reason

I'm curious if she actually can perceive the Beasts or not but has just kept silent or can now see them because of Kurapika's ability. Also, there's a possibility of her dying to a Beast since she's not a Prince and that wheel might be sizing her up.

The 3rd Prince is probably a much more careful tactician than the 1st and someone more suited to behind-the-scenes sort of management whereas the 1st is more like a classical general who leads from the front. There'll probably be a sort of coalition led by the 5th depending on how many of the lower princes are interested in just ending the whole thing with little to no bloodshed. Obviously all of the lower prince would consider a tentative alliance before betraying the alliance and moving towards their own ends when the opportunity arises, but that's par for the course.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Lotta characters in this arc turning out to be deceptively intelligent, which in retrospect I guess we all should've figured, but you know how it goes: you see a certain character design, you think to yourself "Yeah, they're not gonna last." Anyway, it's neat how many princes are turning out to be surprisingly reasonable, but of course it only takes a single fly to spoil the soup.

My boy Bill better survive all this though. Dude's a trooper.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent, I love Kurapika throwing back the "we are not concerned with your situation" at Tsubeppa's lieutenant. That was a small but satisfying moment, particularly since it got the message across.

Also Zhang Lei's guard appointed by a higher queen is named "Slacker", if that translation is correct. Well then.

Bad Seafood posted:

Lotta characters in this arc turning out to be deceptively intelligent, which in retrospect I guess we all should've figured, but you know how it goes: you see a certain character design, you think to yourself "Yeah, they're not gonna last." Anyway, it's neat how many princes are turning out to be surprisingly reasonable, but of course it only takes a single fly to spoil the soup.

My boy Bill better survive all this though. Dude's a trooper.

Yeah, like I said before I figured Zhang Lei was the most vulnerable of the upper princes, but now he's looking potentially really important. It's interesting.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
It didn't dawn on me till this episode how much better Togashi has gotten at drawing black people. Might is a huge step from Canary, or even the doctor who gave Netero the bomb.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent, I love Kurapika throwing back the "we are not concerned with your situation" at Tsubeppa's lieutenant. That was a small but satisfying moment, particularly since it got the message across.

Also Zhang Lei's guard appointed by a higher queen is named "Slacker", if that translation is correct. Well then.

Yeah, like I said before I figured Zhang Lei was the most vulnerable of the upper princes, but now he's looking potentially really important. It's interesting.

Yeah Zhang Lei could be a good ally. He does not know about Nen but is interested. Kurapika and his charges gaining a powerful ally like that could be useful. Plus he apparently is fairly reasonable. And can likely be easily convinced that the baby is not a threat and does not need to die.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Another plus is his nen beast not suggesting some dark and sinister hobby.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

He is the Sun.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Religion is dark and sinister in its own way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love his Nen beast the most out of the ones we've seen, really. This big, ornate wheel or plate or something with a weird face in the center and ringed with black flame. That's great. Not sure what it can do (probably something with weird effects rather than anything physical), but it's very neat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I mean, say what you want about it, I'd still take that guy over Jun Ito's Giraffe-Necked Predator Bondage Horse.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Just realized that Emperor time has still not turned off. He is just wearing Contacts right now.

So yeah steal chain is pretty costly to Kurapika.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I mean, say what you want about it, I'd still take that guy over Jun Ito's Giraffe-Necked Predator Bondage Horse.

You forgot snail tongue.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just realized that Emperor time has still not turned off. He is just wearing Contacts right now.

So yeah steal chain is pretty costly to Kurapika.

Yep. He's stuck in it until Oito can burn the ability, at the least, if I'm understanding correctly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so if kurapika steals an ability he can't activate, he dies of old age. if he gives an ability to someone who doesn't use it for whatever reason, he dies of old age. but then, i guess he would need to have such heavy restrictions to add such a strong power to his preexisting set.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so if kurapika steals an ability he can't activate, he dies of old age. if he gives an ability to someone who doesn't use it for whatever reason, he dies of old age. but then, i guess he would need to have such heavy restrictions to add such a strong power to his preexisting set.

It's why he decided not to steal the last guys ability.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

In the end victory will go to the best Nen beast, Party Ball.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Blackheart posted:

In the end victory will go to the best Nen beast, Party Ball.

Instead of open combat, Party Ball compels everyone hostile to its prince to party.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

You forgot snail tongue.
I didn't forget.

I wanted you to consciously remember.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I didn't forget.

I wanted you to consciously remember.

You're getting a strongly worded Steam message.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am firmly pro-Bill and wish he hadn't said he wouldn't go down easy.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm curious if she actually can perceive the Beasts or not but has just kept silent or can now see them because of Kurapika's ability.

That's a really good point actually and very possible.

I wonder if Zhang Lei's wheel having a plus and minus is a subtle reference to his whole "he is both very kind and very cruel" thing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If we take each Nen beast as being either influenced by or straight-up personifications of the Princes themselves my own prediction is that it implies Zhang is incredibly calm and prefers planning and order to chaos (the general design and his actions so far) but when push comes to shove and he gets very desperate/afraid/under threat he won't hesitate to rely on surprise and instinct to pull through. Or that scraggly outline means that he'll fall apart completely if he his ordered plans break down. Who knows, but it'd be pretty fun if the beasts not only showed us the princes strengths but also their weaknesses.

Also I think that she can see it via the second-hand Nen ability. She's caught on to the fact that Kurapika is explaining nen for her sake as well as the princes', and she looks real loving nervous there in that one panel her and the beast are together in.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah I was kind of unclear about what was going on with Oito while she's drinking in that one panel. Can she see the beast now that she has Kurapika's nen dolphin? Is she just feeling its presence? Or is she just nervous from the situation?
Also, I've noticed the dark clouds in the background many of the scenes where nen beasts appear. When it first appeared I thought it was Woble's nen beast, but now I'm thinking it might just be for effect, or to represent them feeling the presence of the beasts?

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 21, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She was able to see Kurapika's Dolphin, so maybe that had the side effect of letting her use Gyo as long as she has the nen power equipped.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pierson posted:

If we take each Nen beast as being either influenced by or straight-up personifications of the Princes themselves my own prediction is that it implies Zhang is incredibly calm and prefers planning and order to chaos (the general design and his actions so far) but when push comes to shove and he gets very desperate/afraid/under threat he won't hesitate to rely on surprise and instinct to pull through. Or that scraggly outline means that he'll fall apart completely if he his ordered plans break down. Who knows, but it'd be pretty fun if the beasts not only showed us the princes strengths but also their weaknesses.

Also I think that she can see it via the second-hand Nen ability. She's caught on to the fact that Kurapika is explaining nen for her sake as well as the princes', and she looks real loving nervous there in that one panel her and the beast are together in.

It actually kinda resembles this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wany%C5%ABd%C5%8D but with religious affectations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's basically an ornate wheel; it wasn't clear when we first saw it, but in this page, with the background, it seems like there's space in between the spokes, since we can see the texture there.

Xelkelvos posted:

It actually kinda resembles this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wany%C5%ABd%C5%8D but with religious affectations.

Oh boy, that's a rather ominous thing for it to be. (The crosses don't necessarily mean anything though; remember Chrollo's old coat? This is a Japanese series, after all.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, it's basically an ornate wheel; it wasn't clear when we first saw it, but in this page, with the background, it seems like there's space in between the spokes, since we can see the texture there.

Oh boy, that's a rather ominous thing for it to be. (The crosses don't necessarily mean anything though; remember Chrollo's old coat? This is a Japanese series, after all.)

It's definitely much more ornate than a cart wheel, but yeah it's a loving spooky monster if it's really based off of the Wanyudo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

She was able to see Kurapika's Dolphin, so maybe that had the side effect of letting her use Gyo as long as she has the nen power equipped.

Part of this arc is about how people are selectively able to see nen creations like how the Princes can't see their own beasts, and how nobody but Sahir could see the tiny "are you free" beast that was on his shoulder. I don't think Oito can see the Wheel just because she can see Kurapika's dolphin. For all intents and porpoises she's the only one who can see it right now and that is probably the extent of what nen she can see without her aura nodes formally opened.

The nen explanation is still for her benefit because Kurapika is using her as his accomplice now and she needs to know what else she's in store for.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Whats his end game?

What kind of nen ability do you think he has?

Do you think he homolusts after Ging?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

Part of this arc is about how people are selectively able to see nen creations like how the Princes can't see their own beasts, and how nobody but Sahir could see the tiny "are you free" beast that was on his shoulder. I don't think Oito can see the Wheel just because she can see Kurapika's dolphin. For all intents and porpoises she's the only one who can see it right now and that is probably the extent of what nen she can see without her aura nodes formally opened.

The nen explanation is still for her benefit because Kurapika is using her as his accomplice now and she needs to know what else she's in store for.

Yeah, she doesn't need to see the Wheel in order to feel super nervous there. She overheard the stuff about Nen Beasts already, too, so with that and what Kurapika's saying she probably already knew there's a "monster" in there sizing her up even before Kurapika got to the actual explanation of that for Zhang Lei.

On a tangent, nicknames for the Beasts:

Benjamin: The Alien.
Camilla: The Anemone.
Zhang Lei: The Wheel.
Tserriednich: The... "Horse".
Tsubeppa: The Frog Car, the Lizard Buggy, I don't know but it's great.
Tyson: The "Fairies", the Geckos.
Luzurus: The Dick-Shark? I don't know what the heck that thing is.
Sale-Sale: The Party Ball, the Tumor.
Harkenberg: The Bull, the Goat, the Demon.
Momoze: The Mouse, the Hamster.

Kacho, Fugetsu, Marayam, and Woble's Nen Beasts are all still mysteries meanwhile, other than Woble's exsanguinating the guards who were threats. Someone has a weird dragon-thing, though, from the big reveal of the beasts, another has jellyfish things, and then there's a giant worm... Thing that was hanging from the ceiling. Those three are probably not Woble's, so. Place your bets on who gets what; for some reason the Dragon feels like it's Marayam's to me, but I could be wrong there. Kacho's terrible so I want to give her the Worm, which would leave Fugetsu with the Jellyfish I guess. Could be completely different though; I wasn't betting on Momoze having the Hamster, after all.

On a tangent, now that we have more information revealed, all the Nen Beasts that showed up then were, of all things, those of the younger Princes (besides Tyson's Geckos, but those things are constantly being spawned so them infesting the ship makes sense). It's interesting that the younger Princes were the ones whose Beasts all went to check out everyone else's and pick on the baby and whatnot, versus the older ones not showing up there and possibly sticking with their hosts.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Pariston is sad that Netero died, since he loved the cat and mouse game the two were playing using Association politics. He has now latched onto Ging, because Ging is similarly powerful and influential, so he hopes he can has similar fun.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 21, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Whats his end game?

What kind of nen ability do you think he has?

Do you think he homolusts after Ging?

-Having fun
-Something related to information gathering
-He is problem-sexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Tsubeppa: The Frog Car, the Lizard Buggy, I don't know but it's great.

The Toad Mobile?

Luzurus' beast looks like a giant cicada.