Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I'm top 500 in the over 40 queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nullsmack posted:

I wish they would make a comp mode where you can say you don't want to play with people under a certain age.

There'd be a lot of people suddenly born on April 20th, 1969

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kassoon posted:

I'm top 500 in the over 40 queue
I'm genuinely curious to see age distribution across ranks. Too bad there's no way to get that data.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Since we straight up must read everything ever written in blue before stylosa gets to read it out loud for money:

Scott Mercer posted:

I wanted to clarify some of the Statistic Card rules in question, because there's some misunderstandings about the system.

Defensive assists are gained as Zenyatta if you were healing them with Orb of Harmony or Transcendence at the point someone else eliminated an enemy. Offensive assists are gained if the target had Orb of Discord. The statistic has nothing to do at all with whether you are on offense or defense during your game.

To get a card for any statistic, you need to have the most of that statistic across ALL players, both on your team and the enemy's. So even if you have gold medal for eliminations on your team, if a player on the enemy team has more eliminations than they are eligible for the card and you are not. This rule is in place because if someone else ever got a card and you had more of the stat in question, the system was considered to be broken.

The display of statistic cards are not tuned differently based on the hero you are playing. So if I was to tune Eliminations to show up more, I can't do it just for Zenyatta. It would also affect Soldier: 76 or any of the other Heroes. If I was to tune either Defensive or Offensive assists to show up less for Zenyatta, it would also affect Mercy.

Offensive Assists and Defensive Assists have a nearly identical weighting (difference is less than 5%), so if you're seeing the Offensive Assists card way more than Defensive Assists, one basic reason to see Offensive Assists more is just that you are typically earning more Offensive Assists than Defensive Assists. The other possibility is that it might be common for someone else playing a different support hero (on your team or the enemy's) to have more Defensive Assists than you, but not have more Offensive Assists. In that case you could't earn a Defensive Assist card but you could earn the Offensive Assists one.

Hope that helps everyone understand this a bit more!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758115698#post-9

I think everyone already knows this, but this is why even a mediocre zenyatta lights up like a baller for most of the match. Everything he does is ripping at least one anus open at any given moment.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Ersatz posted:

I'm genuinely curious to see age distribution across ranks. Too bad there's no way to get that data.

Lets start! I'm 43 and squarely a bronze. I also play on Xbox One.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

wit posted:

Since we straight up must read everything ever written in blue before stylosa gets to read it out loud for money:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758115698#post-9

I think everyone already knows this, but this is why even a mediocre zenyatta lights up like a baller for most of the match. Everything he does is ripping at least one anus open at any given moment.

Personally I really enjoyed the patch where they added the kill beep for Zenyatta assists. It's very affirming to get those extra kill beeps when people die who you hadn't even shot at.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

OldNorthBridge posted:

Lets start! I'm 43 and squarely a bronze. I also play on Xbox One.

I'm 50, bronze and bad at pretty much everything except Torb and Lucioball. :kiddo:

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Ersatz posted:

top 500 is early 20s and it's a bell curve out from there like in absolutely everything else

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kassoon posted:

top 500 is early 20s and it's a bell curve out from there like in absolutely everything else
I'm only in my 30s, and this post still makes me sad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
But think of all the things you're much better at than a 20-something. Like... doing your taxes.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

But think of all the things you're much better at than a 20-something. Like... doing your taxes.
:(((

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just use all the weekends you're not spending getting wasted or playing STD Roulette to practice instead!

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Just play winston or mercy then your decrepit aim won't matter. Also spend all your vacation days playing non-stop so you can grind out the 500 matches necessary to rank up in blizzard games

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kassoon posted:

Just play winston or mercy then your decrepit aim won't matter. Also spend all your vacation days playing non-stop so you can grind out the 500 matches necessary to rank up in blizzard games
Yeah. I complained in the tryhard thread about it taking literally a month to solo queue out of gold despite having 53% and 55% win rates on my two mains, but I learned the valuable lesson from the posters there that it only took so long because I'm mediocre garbage trash.

Seriously though, the grind is stupid, and Blizzard should put streaks back in.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

There is definitely a correlation between my age and the fact that my most played characters are Mei, Symmetra, D.Va, and Winston! Honorable mention to Zarya.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. I complained in the tryhard thread about it taking literally a month to solo queue out of gold despite having 53% and 55% win rates on my two mains, but I learned the valuable lesson from the posters there that it only took so long because I'm mediocre garbage trash.

Seriously though, the grind is stupid, and Blizzard should put streaks back in.

There are streaks, but they seem to only be losing streaks!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

There are streaks, but they seem to only be losing streaks!
Yeah, given normal psychological biases, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the typical player prefers a grind to a system that rewards win streaks but punishes loss streaks.

I just wanted to be placed faster into games that were actually competitive. Ironically, I'm close to diamond now and my win rate on D.Va is 3% higher than it was when I exited gold. Pharah remains unchanged.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

sometimes I decide to give the tryhard thread a try and then I look at the last page and they're arguing about the gooniest poo poo, so I read the meimeis thread instead. Maybe try that.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kassoon posted:

sometimes I decide to give the tryhard thread a try and then I look at the last page and they're arguing about the gooniest poo poo, so I read the meimeis thread instead. Maybe try that.
A sound suggestion - I'll check it out.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, given normal psychological biases, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the typical player prefers a grind to a system that rewards win streaks but punishes loss streaks.

I just wanted to be placed faster into games that were actually competitive. Ironically, I'm close to diamond now and my win rate on D.Va is 3% higher than it was when I exited gold. Pharah remains unchanged.

I would play better if the game just flashed pretty lights at me when I was on a streak tbh. All my worst matches are when I'm not sure if I'm playing worse than usual, as soon as I convince myself I'm doing good, I am, although I can't tolerate many more than say 5-10 games a night.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kassoon posted:

I can't make heads or tails of what they're even talking about half the time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't think it's supposed to be a grind. It's supposed to be a "here's how you rate."

Getting consistently better at something generally takes a long time, and that is what rating is about. It's not like a poker bankroll with a lot of variance or having a hot run at a craps table. It's not about preference or what feels good.

If matching works correctly, moving up in rank should happen at around a 51-55% win rate. That shouldn't change until you plateau and then it should seek 50%.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eSports_players

Notably, these are almost all established players and not rookies. Maru (SC2) made his debut at 13 years old.

https://www.esportsearnings.com/players/highest-earnings-by-age

This might even be a more stark contrast. 85% of all esports earnings went to players between the ages of 18-25 and almost 99% of all earnings went to players between the ages 16-29. We do see a slight skew in average earnings for older players-- that peaks closer to 25 years old and doesn't start to fall off as hard until the early 30s. There's a big spike in the 34 year old bracket, and that's pretty much entirely Daigo Umehara, who is solely responsible for 87k of the 100k in that bracket thanks mostly to his 60k prize from 2nd place in the Capcom Cup.

There are some weird bits in the data for sure, FGS guys tend to be older than your SC/FPS guys. Korean pros typically retire for their mandatory military service at some point, etc etc.

This is partially because the most important attribute for a professional gamer is reaction time and reflexes, which peak much earlier. In traditional sports, physical strength is very important. Physical strength tends to peak in men in the late 20's.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

headcase posted:

I don't think it's supposed to be a grind. It's supposed to be a "here's how you rate."

Getting consistently better at something generally takes a long time, and that is what rating is about. It's not like a poker bankroll with a lot of variance or having a hot run at a craps table. It's not about preference or what feels good.

If matching works correctly, moving up in rank should happen at around a 51-55% win rate. That shouldn't change until you plateau and then it should seek 50%.

for anyone over 30 a grind is like 20 matches. I would guess most people surprised at their rank play maybe a couple matches a day.

mmr doesn't really normalize until around 50, and sr/seasons is their grind minigame that takes longer. The only time you can shoot up in rank is with a brand new account. I play hitscan so it wasn't so bad (and had a lot of cs experience), but I would imagine tanks/healers have a grindier time of it. It's also fun as gently caress to play dps against bad players, it's probably miserable if you're mercy

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
In fairness, there are a number of factors, most notably getting jobs and responsibilities as you get older. Late 20s+ play less and are less likely to grind away on videogames than students.

There are lots of near 30 or over 30 people in the top CS teams right now, and not from a lack of competition. That has slowly been destroying the idea that post 25-6 was just sheer decline in gaming. It's just there is legit money in it now. I think the next ten years will certainly see a broader spread of ages than in the past. It will always be a a young person's game, but not as much as was once assumed.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

My point is that "shooting up in rank" is not the point of the game of Overwatch. Winning a match against similar opponents is the point. Your rank just tells you where you are. It should be pretty consistent, and hopefully you get better at the game over time and it will go up slowly.

I'm not saying it really works this well all the time, but I think it's the intention.

Edit: I guess people have an assumption that "my ranking is obviously too low, and the game is making me grind to get the number to where it should be"

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 20, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

headcase posted:

My point is that "shooting up in rank" is not the point of the game of Overwatch. Winning a match against similar opponents is the point. Your rank just tells you where you are. It should be pretty consistent, and hopefully you get better at the game over time and it will go up slowly.

I'm not saying it really works this well all the time, but I think it's the intention.
Yeah, my issue is that I want to be playing against similar opponents, but constraints on my time for gaming meant that I spent a really stupid amount of time 1000+ SR below my previous peak (I hit a bad loss streak last season immediately before they killed the streak multiplier).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I had a really odd experience just now: my quickplay team listened to me.

We were playing KOTH Numbani, and during the first round I noticed that they were all strung out around the map in their own little 1v1s. So in the space between rounds, I told them to not let themselves get drawn into side fights; "if you can't see the point you're probably in the wrong place." I don't know how good that advice actually is, but for the next two rounds they parked their asses on the point and didn't let go; we won the second round handily and lost the third 99-99 because their D.va and Junkrat got well-timed ults and cleared us out.

So, you know. Sometimes talking works. :unsmith:

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, my issue is that I want to be playing against similar opponents, but constraints on my time for gaming meant that I spent a really stupid amount of time 1000+ SR below my previous peak (I hit a bad loss streak last season immediately before they killed the streak multiplier).

that happened to my wife as well when she decided to play dps instead of heals for 20 ill-fated games and meteor striked to bronze from plat. I ended up smurfing to get her out quickly, it still took like 40 matches but they were easy at least.

I told her it would happen too v:shobon:v

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Jeza posted:

In fairness, there are a number of factors, most notably getting jobs and responsibilities as you get older. Late 20s+ play less and are less likely to grind away on videogames than students.

There are lots of near 30 or over 30 people in the top CS teams right now, and not from a lack of competition. That has slowly been destroying the idea that post 25-6 was just sheer decline in gaming. It's just there is legit money in it now. I think the next ten years will certainly see a broader spread of ages than in the past. It will always be a a young person's game, but not as much as was once assumed.

I know the core of VP is around 30, as is f0rest, but NiP and VP have been underwhelming as of late. Using the HLTV rankings and the arbitrary cutoff of 27 years old (my age), we have GeT_RiGhT, f0rest, karrigan, cajunb, hazed, Edward, and jdm64. Of those 7, 5 are 27 years old and 2 are 29.

There are 4 players at PGL who are 30 or older. TaZ and NEO from VP, gob b from BIG and B1ad3 from flipsid3. I don't know why gob b is suddenly doing okay now, but he's an IGL. Both him and B1ad3 are in the conversation for worst active professional player, but both are competent IGLs, if I recall correctly. My theory on the VP guys is that poles don't age the same way normal humans do.

The Blue Caboose fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 20, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Blue Caboose posted:

I know the core of VP is around 30, as is f0rest, but NiP and VP have been underwhelming as of late. Using the HLTV rankings and the arbitrary cutoff of 27 years old (my age), we have GeT_RiGhT, f0rest, karrigan, cajunb, hazed, Edward, and jdm64. Of those 7, 5 are 27 years old and 2 are 29.

There are 4 players at PGL who are 30 or older. TaZ and NEO from VP, gob b from BIG and B1ad3 from flipsid3. I don't know why gob b is suddenly doing okay now, but he's an IGL. Both him and B1ad3 are in the conversation for worst active professional player, but both are competent IGLs, if I recall correctly. My theory on the VP guys is that poles don't age the same way normal humans do.

I understood none of that.

Man I'm old :(

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The Blue Caboose posted:

Don't forget Gambit. Zeus and Dosia are 29, and AdreN is 27. You've also got markeloff and chrisJ (29, 27). This is for sure the 'oldest player' Major in history. The actual average of the teams in the playoffs must be nearly 25. Many of the teams with younger talent were eliminated by oldies. There are a tonne of extremely good players knocking on the door of 27 too.

I wouldn't normalise it. Having a single player aged 30 in the premier tournaments, let alone actually competing for the win, would have been pretty much unheard of 4-5 years ago. In many ways being 25-6 back then made you like a super veteran, people generally retired to real life before then. And it's not a dying game a top end or anything. CS has never been more competitive than it is now. Amazing teams fail to get into the Major, pretty much the full 16 slots are stacked. Vega Squadron was probably the only 'dud'. Dignitas, Heroic, EnvyUs, NiP, Hellraisers, GODSENT, CLG, Liquid, OpTic could all have made it.

Among those names you've got RpK, MODDI, Snappi, ANGE1, Cutler, seangares, fox etc. In fact if any of the those teams have anything in common, it's that their average age is lower.

e: I'll stop bringing CS into the OW thread :words:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

AceClown posted:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Loss streaks are out too, I've had some pretty long loss streaks recently and not had higher than normal SR loss for each game. It was really miserable to lose 50+ SR when you were on tilt so I'm glad that's gone.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

AceClown posted:

I was reading all that and thinking to myself "how the gently caress is anyone with a name like k1LL-M45T3rrr over 10, let alone 30"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wit posted:

I was reading all that and thinking to myself "how the gently caress is anyone with a name like k1LL-M45T3rrr over 10, let alone 30"

you make a name when you're a kid and it sticks I guess

tho I will never understand why anyone would make that kind of name at any age. even when I was a kid I thought that was lame

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Haven't played Overwatch in a while so I did some quick matches and felt good so I qued for a comp game and lol at the other team accusing me of cheating down in sliver league.

The key to countering Phara is to look up.

It's odd. People either think I cheat or am a low account of a high tier player when I have a good game. I suppose it helps them cope with getting stomped.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

you make a name when you're a kid and it sticks I guess

tho I will never understand why anyone would make that kind of name at any age. even when I was a kid I thought that was lame

It was a thing back when AOL H4X0RS were around. Always thought it was because irc networks could only allow 1 person called Mr_Skull_Death_Cool_Ice and the other 4000 people had to improvise with their discount vanity plate versions.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that is one reason for why you get misspellings but I never understood it. if a name I wanted was taken, I just tried to come up with another name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Luckily Blizzard supports multiple people with same name.

We all can be Kill-masters we want to be!