Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hixson posted:

I'm painting Night Lords based with Vallejo Imperial blue and highlighted with heavy blue. Then I airbrushed on a layer of Citadel Drakenhoff Nightshade to get the this blue:

The pictures kind of meaningless without a before shot; but the whole thing darkened several shades. You can see where none of the recesses collected any of wash. That's where you go back and apply the pin wash.

That lightning effect is loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

ijyt posted:

In built lights seem like a cumbersome thing to detach and put away, I get plenty of light from a 11w daylight bulb just over the hood.

I just received one with the LED option. It's a pretty simple setup with three pieces: two angled for the sides and a straight across the top. They have barrel plugs that go into matching sockets on the filter bezel and the top likewise is powered through one of the sides. Only issue I ran into was one of the side bars doesn't get a good power connection if I have it hooked to the top of the hood (keeps the plug from inserting far enough) so that one just isn't clipped on. Quite bright and clean white light output.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used this Krylon gloss varnish for the 1-2 sealing combo?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Hixson posted:

I'm painting Night Lords based with Vallejo Imperial blue and highlighted with heavy blue. Then I airbrushed on a layer of Citadel Drakenhoff Nightshade to get the this blue:

The pictures kind of meaningless without a before shot; but the whole thing darkened several shades. You can see where none of the recesses collected any of wash. That's where you go back and apply the pin wash.

That's awesome, thanks. Going to give that a try.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hello painting thread, I've done something possibly stupid tonight and I want opinions on it before I go further. Please be brutally honest.

After seeing someone do it to a Storm Raven, I've decided to try and mimic the light green interior of a modern IFV in a Rhino.

Real life reference:

My interior as of now:

I'm going to seal it, give it a grey/black pin wash, foam chip it and then work a lot of pigment into the floor and access ramp.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

HardCoil posted:

Anybody want to split this?
3x vortex mixers
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-IKA-Ms1...3cfe590ffffc727

I'll go in for one of them if it's all three for that price. I'm guessing they're 100 each though.

UK based.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

How do people get a clean/smooth coat of paint on large flat surfaces with a brush? i'm practicing on a munitorum container and I'm seeing some grit embedded in my paint once dry. I don't care much for something I'm going to try weathering effects on but this would be a pain on a vehicle for example :/

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ayn Marx posted:

How do people get a clean/smooth coat of paint on large flat surfaces with a brush? i'm practicing on a munitorum container and I'm seeing some grit embedded in my paint once dry. I don't care much for something I'm going to try weathering effects on but this would be a pain on a vehicle for example :/

A lot of thin paint and layers. Alternating the direction of the strokes between layers helps a bunch too.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I bought some doodads and an LED spool and put 4 strips in the hood of mine and it's awesome, total cost was under 15 bucks for the lighting material and I have a ton left over for other potential projects.

Hey thanks everyone for the feedback- my main concern is this- I have no viable windows to feed the hose out of. If I were to hook up the fan's extractor hose to my dryer vent line, I should be OK with the other precautions? I'm mainly worried about particles collecting around the rest of the house.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

Hey thanks everyone for the feedback- my main concern is this- I have no viable windows to feed the hose out of. If I were to hook up the fan's extractor hose to my dryer vent line, I should be OK with the other precautions? I'm mainly worried about particles collecting around the rest of the house.

I don't even hook the hose up, I just point it in the general direction of the open door, with the screen door closed. I assumed I'd see a build up of paint where the fan blows particles through the screen to the outside but nope. Turns out just about everything gets trapped in the filter, certainly anything I could ever see.

What I'm saying is yeah, that should be fine.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Like bonds, I haven't had an issue. I have a window open in the same room but the exhaust isn't even pointed at it, goes in the back of my painting desk/hutch. I wear a mask and that's it.

Obviously all bets are off if you're spraying anything other than water based acrylics that might have actual fumes.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

TTerrible posted:

Hello painting thread, I've done something possibly stupid tonight and I want opinions on it before I go further. Please be brutally honest.

After seeing someone do it to a Storm Raven, I've decided to try and mimic the light green interior of a modern IFV in a Rhino.

Real life reference:

My interior as of now:

I'm going to seal it, give it a grey/black pin wash, foam chip it and then work a lot of pigment into the floor and access ramp.

I did this with my storm Raven. It's almost done, pics soon. I did a heavy brown wash because I'm lazy and wanted it to look dirty.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

bonds0097 posted:

Turns out just about everything gets trapped in the filter, certainly anything I could ever see.

This is not true, at least not for that particular vent. I've had the hose hooked up, and taking it off reveals a bunch of dust. Point it out the window if you can.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'll go in for one of them if it's all three for that price. I'm guessing they're 100 each though.

UK based.

Yeah, 100 a piece unfortunately. Still seems nice but I'm quoted 50 for shipping to Denmark.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HerrBrau posted:

Finally started work on some of my 40k Death Guard mans. Here's one in progress with more than just base coat for the skin. The buboes are modeled after what you see with the bubonic plague. The spikes are bone. I'm thinking a standard fleshy pink for the worm/tentacle things. The eyes are black with gloss medium, so they look wet and soulless. Slipped a bit on the right one, but... progress.

Hope its suitably gross and creepy.

In the thumbnail, he looks like he's grinning and hiking up his pants like a proud farmer talking about his prize-winning livestock :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Real life reference:

My interior as of now:

This looks great, I love it - what colours are these?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ijyt posted:

This looks great, I love it - what colours are these?

• Prime with badger stynlrez grey
  • Basecoat with VMA Duck Egg Green
  • Highlight 50/50 VGC Off White : VMA Duck Egg Green
  • Highlight 75/25 VGC Off White : VMA Duck Egg Green

All airbrush. Highlights are a mix of panel centres and edges that would wear.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Finished this wolf earlier today, thought I'd post it because I really like how that eye turned out.

I especially love how the black in the middle reflects the light. Wish my crappy phone camera could get it more in focus.

The other eye though...

Somewhere along the way, I guess too much paint built up around it, I couldn't get the wash to bring out the details right like with the other one, and couldn't get it to match or look anywhere decent. So I decided to just scar him up, thus...

Not going to cooperate? You lose an eye! Let that be a lesson to any other miniatures.

Don't really like how the fur looks matted or whatever in the front. I probably just overdid it with the dry-brushing, but it seems to look worse than it did before I sealed it, wonder if I did the spray unevenly or in the wrong temperature/humidity conditions or something. Then again, I seem to have troubles with fur looking matted or caked with mud anyways, so it's just something I need to work on (I'm fine with how the rest of the fur looks on this one, though).

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Eh! Frank posted:

Finished this wolf earlier today, thought I'd post it because I really like how that eye turned out.

I especially love how the black in the middle reflects the light. Wish my crappy phone camera could get it more in focus.

The other eye though...

Somewhere along the way, I guess too much paint built up around it, I couldn't get the wash to bring out the details right like with the other one, and couldn't get it to match or look anywhere decent. So I decided to just scar him up, thus...

Not going to cooperate? You lose an eye! Let that be a lesson to any other miniatures.

Don't really like how the fur looks matted or whatever in the front. I probably just overdid it with the dry-brushing, but it seems to look worse than it did before I sealed it, wonder if I did the spray unevenly or in the wrong temperature/humidity conditions or something. Then again, I seem to have troubles with fur looking matted or caked with mud anyways, so it's just something I need to work on (I'm fine with how the rest of the fur looks on this one, though).

That's a nice fuckin' eye. And this is me every time I paint eyes, I get the first one perfect and and then can never get the second quite right.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can someone point me in the right direction for the best guide for cleaning air brushes? I'm pretty sure I'm doing a good job but I'd like to be sure.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction for the best guide for cleaning air brushes? I'm pretty sure I'm doing a good job but I'd like to be sure.

The best I've done is YouTube and search for your model. I have knockoffs so I had to track down the original source they were based on.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Anyone got any tricks for painting horns? I'm trying to paint poxwalker horns and I just can't get them to not look like poo poo.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Mugaaz posted:

Anyone got any tricks for painting horns? I'm trying to paint poxwalker horns and I just can't get them to not look like poo poo.

Duncan's WarhammerTV painting guide for the Putrid Blightkings has a neat method of doing rotten horns - essentially it's successive layers of thinned Seraphim Sepia / Agrax Earthshade moving gradually toward the tip.

video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7AoKAywHk

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Thanks, exactly what im looking for.

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012

Hixson posted:

Things I learned this week: spraying wash through an airbrush is a great way to tint your models. But it's not a good substitute for a pin wash. Do both!

BULBASAUR is that you?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm between model kits so I decided to paint some figures to practice technique.

I'm happy with the light

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Texmo posted:

This is not true, at least not for that particular vent. I've had the hose hooked up, and taking it off reveals a bunch of dust. Point it out the window if you can.

Really? I didn't notice any dust from mine. I'll have to check the next time I use it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

BULBASAUR is that you?

I can't be BULBASUAR. I didn't mention oil washes 30 times

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You probably already have these, but make sure you have a good set of cleaning tools. As soon as I quit using the needle to clean out the nozzle and q-tips for everything else; it made cleaning a breeze.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 20, 2017

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Eh! Frank posted:

If you like the way that eye is reflecting the light, something else you can do is put a tiny dot of white somewhere on that eye. Make it so it always has that sort of "reflective" look. Can be easy to overdo though :p

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

A guy at my FLGS just shouted, who wants a ghetto demon prince? And this is what he gave me:

:pwn:

Can I save this? How hard is it to clean up green stuff?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

A guy at my FLGS just shouted, who wants a ghetto demon prince? And this is what he gave me:

Toss that in the unspiration thread!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

It's salvageable. It'll probably never be pretty, but you can definitely make it look better than it does now.

First, you'll probably want to file down the greenstuff. Then you'll want to either sculpt something cool over where the blob was, or else find some chaos bits that won't look too out of place to glue over it. A hull panel, say, with chaos symbols. Greenstuff a slightly better join with the head to the body. Fill in the cracks. It'll still look kind of awful, but hopefully in a more "unholy mutation" way instead of... what you have. I'd even be tempted to add on a few tentacles or the like bursting out of it.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Throw it in some simple green. It's always stripped paint and melted green stuff, whether I wanted it to or not.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

In my experience when soaking models in super clean engine degreaser, green stuff became very brittle and was easy to break apart if you let it soak long enough and we're aggressive about scrubbing at the green stuff. Alternatively I have had green stuff survive a dipping in super clean engine Degreaser but mostly because I did it for a minimal amount of time and was gentle about scrubbing after I was done. Admittedly the green stuff that came to bits may have just been a bad example, perhaps the guy who added the green stuff didn't get the mixture correct? I have no idea. But that's my experience with green stuff and getting it off of models.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Big Ink posted:

Throw it in some simple green. It's always stripped paint and melted green stuff, whether I wanted it to or not.

Yeah do this, just immerse it in simple green for a day or two and the green stuff should just melt/peel right off. That might also take some of the primer off which hey that'd be nice.

Maybe even loosen it up a bit to take some of those conversion bits off (if you want)

Then just prime it and paint it over as best as you can, maybe add your own greenstuff to cover up the weird changes.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Am I missing any glaring details from these dreads? The only addition I have planned is greenstuff purity seals.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I made a thing. He just wants to bust tanks with the big boys.

edit: aaaaaah lookit that mould line

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I made a thing. He just wants to bust tanks with the big boys.

edit: aaaaaah lookit that mould line

The line won't be as noticable when its all painted.

That's a happy grot. Orks is best.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

It's already gone. Death to all mould lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Miles O'Brian posted:

It's already gone. Death to all mould lines.

amen