Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hagie posted:

I have 2 bags of heads and 3 bags of different tails for my ned rig and I still haven't tried them.

I have, and if you watch it in action it's amazing to see. Unfortunately the bottom of my local reservoir is too full of plant matter to fish with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
That is my biggest concern. Most around me have poo poo all over the bottom...

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I actually fish the zman big TRD with a weighted wacky hook. It sinks a tiny bit slower than a senko, but still gets a lot of action. Wrapped a ring of duct tape around the hook spot on the trd and put the hook thru the ring, and that thing has caught me at least 8-9 bass without coming off, or showing any signs of being worn. Its just permanently tied to one of my spinning rods.

Before I put the ring of tape around the trd, I fished it on the weighted hook, and the first bass I caught took it off the hook. After I got the fish off the hook, i just took the boat over to where the bait was floating on the water, and am still using it. Sometimes, its nice to have a floating bait. At least, on the wallet.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Works best on a really light rig right? Considering the head weighs nothing.

I have it tied on to an ultra-lite shimano that used to be my lucky setup about 20 years ago. I just haven't ventured out to a place to toss it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Zman plastics last forever, do they make anything like one of those funny bass worms?

They make a stick worm called a Zlinker, but the salt washes out very quickly so you need to use a weighted wacky hook to really use them. Right now I am trying to get the wacky rig figured out, so I am going to fish two bags of senkos with just a hook to get a baseline, then I will try a few variants and worm-saving tricks.

The Ned Rig/MWF fishing in general isn't a bottom contact lure most of the time, you want to fish it on a steady retrieve only just ticking the bottom if hitting it at all. The rig is usually fished with a M or ML rod with a Fast to Mod/Fast action. If you use the traditional small open hooks you want a little softer and lighter, if you are going to fish it weedless most of the time maybe go a bit heavier and faster. The full lure with a 1/16oz head, #1-4 hook, and a TRD worm weighs right around 3/16oz, so heavier than most UL rods and close to the upper rating of most L rods.

I started fishing it on a 6' L rod and while I caught a ton of fish, stepping up to a ML really held me keep fish hooked and landed around any kind of cover.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey guys I decided to get a new hobby so I splurged on some fishing gear. :downs:

Also got a 5 metre pole. Time to get grossed out by :can:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

gently caress yeah fixed line goons

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crabbing in Kitsap County, WA still very good. Got quick limits this morning on red rocks.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Found a decent spot of some pooling backwater on a river I live by the other day. Another angler was there for like 2 and a half hours so once he left I went and checked it out. Lots of fish breaching the surface (smallmouth, I think), and nice and deep compared to the surroundings. I tried for maybe 30 minutes with not even a bite to hook one. I tried a size 2 and 3 spinner, a senko wacky rigged and Texas rigged, and a super fluke that I put on weighted which now I think I should have just dropped it out there weightless. Any tips on how to entice these surface breakers? I was surprised buzzing a spinner across the top didn't interest them at all.

Also I'm going to try my hand at luremaking. I bought some parts to make spinners to start. Anyone else here make lures?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just caught, slaughtered and ate a dogfish.
Honestly not bad, no off flavors and firm white meat. Cooked it without seasoning to test it out.
I would actually eat it again.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Any tips on how to entice these surface breakers?
I'm by no means an expert fisherman, but if the bass are picking bugs off the surface the first lure I'm reaching for is probably a surface popper or possibly a topwater crankbait.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Great majority of the time fish feeding on the surface are not bass. Like it's possible it was bass, but it's even more possible that you were throwing bass lures at a carp.

Last night a friend that I went to a little park by my house along a tidal river. I brought ultralight set up to try to catch some perch from the shore and then did up getting a couple nice ones like inches off the rip rap. I also caught a weird silver fish we couldn't identify until it started making this terrible noise, so I think I just caught my first croker.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Great majority of the time fish feeding on the surface are not bass. Like it's possible it was bass, but it's even more possible that you were throwing bass lures at a carp.

Last night a friend that I went to a little park by my house along a tidal river. I brought ultralight set up to try to catch some perch from the shore and then did up getting a couple nice ones like inches off the rip rap. I also caught a weird silver fish we couldn't identify until it started making this terrible noise, so I think I just caught my first croker.

Was the mouth slung low? Did it have a spot behind the gills?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
river full o' brown and rainbow trout

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

tomorrow you're going to tell us you fished it and they're only sticks and rocks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Was the mouth slung low? Did it have a spot behind the gills?

Sort of, it looked like a white perch with more of a humpback, but it was a seriously tiny fish, maybe 5 inches long. My friend took a picture of it but it didn't come out so it's just a silver blur.

It did start making a really distressing croaking sound as soon as I got out of the water so I was very focused on getting him unhooked and back in.

Hit a small pond yesterday and got three guys about this size;

By pitching a Fat Ika up under that tree. I am continually amazed at how light of a lure my heavy rod can handle. It isnt super awesome to pitch a 3/8oz plastic on but it still does it well enough. Later we went to a second pond and I was able to cast a 1/4oz plastic + big hook around 30-40' with no real issue.

Apparently by swapping out the brake inductor spring on a Diawa SV spool one can tune real a little bit to back off or increase breaking force. I'm still trying to track down information and specs on the springs but I would dearly love to back the brakes off this real and maybe increase the breaking a little on some finesse reels that I have ended up using for heavier applications.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bongwizzard posted:

This is just wrong. Bass hit topwater stuff like crazy, especially early mornings/late evenings. I'm fishing with fly rods/tenkara, but I have great luck with frog- and mouse-pattern poppers/deerhair flies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

a foolish pianist posted:

This is just wrong. Bass hit topwater stuff like crazy, especially early mornings/late evenings. I'm fishing with fly rods/tenkara, but I have great luck with frog- and mouse-pattern poppers/deerhair flies.

Oh sure, but I was responding specifically to this post;

Found a decent spot of some pooling backwater on a river I live by the other day. Another angler was there for like 2 and a half hours so once he left I went and checked it out. Lots of fish breaching the surface (smallmouth, I think), and nice and deep compared to the surroundings. I tried for maybe 30 minutes with not even a bite to hook one. I tried a size 2 and 3 spinner, a senko wacky rigged and Texas rigged, and a super fluke that I put on weighted which now I think I should have just dropped it out there weightless. Any tips on how to entice these surface breakers? I was surprised buzzing a spinner across the top didn't interest them at all.

That sounds to me like a carp. If a spinner, a wacky senko, and a fluke are not getting even a little love tap, then I would begin to suspect that I was not throwing at a bass.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Oh sure, but I was responding specifically to this post;

That sounds to me like a carp. If a spinner, a wacky senko, and a fluke are not getting even a little love tap, then I would begin to suspect that I was not throwing at a bass.

Hey man, how are those senkos working?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Just spent a little while on the river with my carp rod, and this time I actually saw a carp cruising the shallows! One good cast dropped a colorful wire body nymph right in front of it.

drat thing paused, turned to look at the fly, then just cruised away.

So instead I spent 45 minutes catching bluegill and pumpkinseeds (kinda ridiculous on an 18 foot carp rod), then went to the bar. C'est la vie, I guess.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Just spent a little while on the river with my carp rod, and this time I actually saw a carp cruising the shallows! One good cast dropped a colorful wire body nymph right in front of it.

drat thing paused, turned to look at the fly, then just cruised away.

So instead I spent 45 minutes catching bluegill and pumpkinseeds (kinda ridiculous on an 18 foot carp rod), then went to the bar. C'est la vie, I guess.

I <3 pumpkinseeds. I have a hard time convincing most people that they actually exist. The cutest sunfish!

Guy I was fishing adjacent to caught a good 2.5 foot shark at the river a week ago using a mud minnow rig. DId not get a photo, shark broke the line when the guy was trying to land it. He was trying to pull it up the dock instead of trying to land the poor thing on exposed sharp oyster beds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Get a loop crab net and it does double duty as a landing net.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is some random panfish I caught in WA. He was supposed to be chicken food but managed to stay alive in a disgusting bucket of dead fish. I tossed him in a tank and now he's thriving and quite fun to watch.

"Lucky" the fish. House pet for 3 months now.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

When I was a kid, we kept a tank of little bluegill we caught in the drainage pond behind the apartment complex. They did great, and when we moved, we just tossed them back into the pond. Two year-delayed catch and release.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Just found an 80's Bass Pro Shop "Mean Green Stick" in the garage, 5'6", light action and a Shimano FX-300 spinning reel. Cleaned em up, greased the reel, no problems!
Looking forward to trying it out next time.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I shouldn't have complained. After dinner at the bar, I headed back to a dammed-up pond on the Huron, and well, here:

My first ever crappie (I have seriously never seen anyone pull one out of Argo pond, I was super surprised), some delightful pumpkinseeds, and two exceptional largemouth scrappers. The smaller was the jumpingest fish I've ever caught - probably 30 seconds of air time over a two-minute fight.

Everything caught on a frog popper on my 18-foot Nissin Kyogi keiryu-cum-tenkara rod.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Everything caught on a frog popper on my 18-foot Nissin Kyogi keiryu-cum-tenkara rod.

How much overhead room do you need to cast that thing? I'm assuming at least 30 feet?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bongwizzard posted:

How much overhead room do you need to cast that thing? I'm assuming at least 30 feet?

If you're doing a straight overhead cast, yeah. Unless things are really open, though, I end up casting sidearm or just swinging a floating fly into a current and letting it drift to where I'm trying to get it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have some good recommendations for books/guides on tying flies/bucktails? Right now I'm just looking to dress up trebles/siwash hooks for spinners but I imagine with the kind of fishing I'm enjoying next season I'll probably get into fly fishing

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm not sure it will mean much to the American goons but an Australian fishing icon announced they are closing down today which is a bit sad: http://www.couriermail.com.au/busin...c2d7-1500460474 (might be paywalled)

As far as I know the Alvey reels are a unique design and are tough enough that to clean them off after a fishing session just you walk down to the water and rinse them in seawater. This probably worked against them because old Alveys are still going strong and there is no need for people to replace them. I also think that while their durability in harsh conditions set them apart from spinning and conventional reels for a long time, there are now fully sealed reels like Van Staal and the new Slammers on the market that are just as robust and they couldn't match it with the new competition.

The business has been running since 1920 so they've fallen just short of their 100th anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5-2Kx2MEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlBFP53Y2E

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Anyone have some good recommendations for books/guides on tying flies/bucktails? Right now I'm just looking to dress up trebles/siwash hooks for spinners but I imagine with the kind of fishing I'm enjoying next season I'll probably get into fly fishing

I really like the tightlinevideo youtube channel. I started tying last year, and following this dude's directions really helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ku1-lnkKzI

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

First fish ever on a fly, 100 yards from the continental divide.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 21, 2017

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

Grats! :3:

Fly fishing is extremely zen for me at this point. I don't even have to catch fish to have a great time.

If any of you want to run around Boulder-Estes Park-RMNP and do some fishing, shoot me a PM.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

charliebravo77 posted:

Neat!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

gamera009 posted:

Grats! :3:

Fly fishing is extremely zen for me at this point. I don't even have to catch fish to have a great time.

If any of you want to run around Boulder-Estes Park-RMNP and do some fishing, shoot me a PM.

Oops that was huge. I'd take you up on that but tomorrow's my last full day around here and we've got other plans :( I just need to find a job out here.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just renewed my fishing license online but don't have a good way to print it out. Do I need to carry it on me?

State is Massachusetts

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Usually a best practice.

I'm much further south, but my NC and SC licenses declare on them that they should be with me while fishing

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm not sure it will mean much to the American goons but an Australian fishing icon announced they are closing down today which is a bit sad: http://www.couriermail.com.au/busin...c2d7-1500460474 (might be paywalled)

As far as I know the Alvey reels are a unique design and are tough enough that to clean them off after a fishing session just you walk down to the water and rinse them in seawater. This probably worked against them because old Alveys are still going strong and there is no need for people to replace them. I also think that while their durability in harsh conditions set them apart from spinning and conventional reels for a long time, there are now fully sealed reels like Van Staal and the new Slammers on the market that are just as robust and they couldn't match it with the new competition.

The business has been running since 1920 so they've fallen just short of their 100th anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz5-2Kx2MEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlBFP53Y2E

These look amazing and I wish I had spent my last extra funds on one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

hagie posted:

Usually a best practice.

I'm much further south, but my NC and SC licenses declare on them that they should be with me while fishing

Florida has an option for digital, I would just call and ask if having it on your phone is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Michigan has an option for digital as well. The only time I've been checked, I just handed the dude my phone, and we were done in 45 seconds.