Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cheetah7071 posted:

They mean it looks bad, because digimon look bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

oddium posted:

to me the common digimon design bulletpoints are:

• weird proportions in hands/feet
  • wigged up fangs
  • muscular/veiny
  • clothes
  • partially cyborg/metal
  • zippers

anyway druddigon is the most digimon. garbador is up there too

- is an ugly blob monster but turns into a sexy humanoid wearing a helmet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I would be mad as hell if any of those were gen 8 pokemon designs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it's more humanoid than Machoke or Gardevoir it has no place in pokemon

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 20, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

GTS lets you trade with anyone around the world. Just search for a specific Pokemon if you want one. Though if you want to trade with a specific person, you'll need their 3DS friend code.

Wonder Trade lets you send any mon into the void, and you'll get another Pokemon that someone else also sent there. You could get a really good mon, or you could get a bad one, who knows? It's basically a gamble.

Yeah, but how do you do them though?

Last pokemon I played was Pearl. If it was there, I didn't use it then so I've got no idea how they work.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

If it's more humanoid than Machoke or Gardevoir is has no place in pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the most humanoid Pokémon is Gothitelle and he's awesome

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the most humanoid pokemon will be whatever ones they let us spirit fusion with in gen 8

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Last pokemon I played was Pearl. If it was there, I didn't use it then so I've got no idea how they work.

In Sun and Moon, you'll eventually unlock an icon on your lower screen menu called Festival Plaza. Go to that and from there, you will be able to click Trade and then either GTS or Wonder Trade.

In Alpha Sapphire there are some different lower screen menus as well, I forget what they're called but you want to click through them until you find the one called PSS, and from there you can trade. Here's an article that has some screenshots.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the most humanoid pokemon is manaphy, because it looks like a dick

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, they're tied to the Player Search System, which is tied to the bottom screen. So if you haven't gotten that yet, just keep playing. Once you do, they'll be selectable options there, but you need to be connected online to use them. (Though selecting those should connect you online.) In Pokemon Sun, you'll have to wait to unlock a specific option instead. (It's called Festival Plaza. Just a warning, it's more inconvenient to use than PSS.)

Wonder Trade is pretty easy to use. Just send in a Pokemon you have, and you'll get a random one back out. That's pretty much it. Though really that option is just for fun, and not really practical for getting a specific Pokemon.

GTS is the system used to get a specific Pokemon online. You can either search online and see if the Pokemon you want is being traded for a Pokemon you have. There are plenty of options you can use to narrow down your search for a specific Pokemon there. Or, you can put up a Pokemon you have and ask for a specific one instead. Also, even if you haven't seen the Pokemon in your Pokedex, you can still search for it if you know what its name is.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

because only humans have dicks right

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, they're tied to the Player Search System, which is tied to the bottom screen. So if you haven't gotten that yet, just keep playing. Once you do, they'll be selectable options there, but you need to be connected online to use them. (Though selecting those should connect you online.) In Pokemon Sun, you'll have to wait to unlock a specific option instead. (It's called Festival Plaza. Just a warning, it's more inconvenient to use than PSS.)

Wonder Trade is pretty easy to use. Just send in a Pokemon you have, and you'll get a random one back out. That's pretty much it. Though really that option is just for fun, and not really practical for getting a specific Pokemon.

GTS is the system used to get a specific Pokemon online. You can either search online and see if the Pokemon you want is being traded for a Pokemon you have. There are plenty of options you can use to narrow down your search for a specific Pokemon there. Or, you can put up a Pokemon you have and ask for a specific one instead. Also, even if you haven't seen the Pokemon in your Pokedex, you can still search for it if you know what its name is.

My first ever Wonder Trade I got a Rowlet for a Rattata, I eventually got all the starters like this after 20 or so goes of recycling whatever I was sent.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I would be mad as hell if any of those were gen 8 pokemon designs

The small one is basically half the existing grass pokemon designs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ultima66 posted:

The small one is basically half the existing grass pokemon designs.

I didn't notice that one below the titty mons

If you got Sugimori to draw it it could be a pokemon

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played a digimon game once. It was honestly pretty fun to be able to evolve a guy and then break it back down to an egg hatch level to have it start over with better base stats. But also this got incredibly tedious, because they lock all the digimon you'd actually want behind a ton of that. In Pokemon world it would be like if Mega Blastoise required you to level up a Squirtle and evolve it to a level 60 and back to 1 and evolve it and so on like, 4+ times. It's annoying.

I never got he Lilith vampire demon lady one that I wanted before I quit. :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hrist posted:

I played a digimon game once. It was honestly pretty fun to be able to evolve a guy and then break it back down to an egg hatch level to have it start over with better base stats. But also this got incredibly tedious, because they lock all the digimon you'd actually want behind a ton of that. In Pokemon world it would be like if Mega Blastoise required you to level up a Squirtle and evolve it to a level 60 and back to 1 and evolve it and so on like, 4+ times. It's annoying.

I never got he Lilith vampire demon lady one that I wanted before I quit. :saddowns:

Your error was playing Digimon games.

You watch the Digimon animes and you play the Pokemon games, not the other way around.

Read both mangas though, both series have very good mangas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Cyber Slueth is an excellent Digimon game

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dexie posted:

I get confused because it makes no drat sense and I've yet to meet anyone that can explain what makes something look like a Digimon.

the major difference imo is naturalism

pokemon look like organisms from an alternate universe with magic powers. digimon can be anything since they're just like avatars for programs i think? which means they have basically no design constraints. a pokemon "looks like a digimon" when its design makes very few concessions to the idea that it's a wild animal. a few types are kind of an exception in that they have their own consistent aesthetic that's different, like ghost or rock.

the digimon aesthetic is also less naturalistically colored; most of the early pokemon have a rather muted tone and rarely if ever use bright splashes of color to distinguish body parts that wouldn't otherwise be distinctive enough. they also don't have angular parts unless they're rock or steel, or human-esque accessories unless they're fighting.

basically to sum it up:

rhydon looks like a pokemon, while rhyperior looks like a digimon

honestly though apart from the legendaries in gen 3 and on, there are rarely very many pokemon that look like digimon. the legendaries are just always prominent in advertising, etc. so that has made some people who haven't picked up a pokemon game in a very long time think they are all like that.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 21, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jazerus posted:

That's just wrong.

Most Digimon are actually well-designed, unlike Rhyperior.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jazerus posted:

pokemon look like organisms from an alternate universe with magic powers. digimon can be anything since they're just like avatars for programs i think? which means they have basically no design constraints. a pokemon "looks like a digimon" when its design makes very few concessions to the idea that it's a wild animal. a few types are kind of an exception in that they have their own consistent aesthetic that's different, like ghost or rock.

the digimon aesthetic is also less naturalistically colored; most of the early pokemon have a rather muted tone and rarely if ever use bright splashes of color to distinguish body parts that wouldn't otherwise be distinctive enough. they also don't have angular parts unless they're rock or steel, or human-esque accessories unless they're fighting.

basically to sum it up:

honestly though apart from the legendaries in gen 3 and on, there are rarely very many pokemon that look like digimon. the legendaries are just always prominent in advertising, etc. so that has made some people who haven't picked up a pokemon game in a very long time think they are all like that.

Rhyperior's eyes need bigger irises to fit, but otherwise, I agree. It looks like Monochoromon.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It is, but it is grindy as all hell. Hopefully the sequel tones it down at least a little.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the grind is optional in cyber sleuth but the the way the game is designed encourages you to do it a lot. I did kinda like taking my digimon through different evolution trees tho

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jazerus posted:

basically to sum it up:

I think the word you're looking for is "busy". I like Digimon, but they do tend to have designs that have way too much going on visually.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Are Angewomon and Rosemon the same person?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Your error was playing Digimon games.

You watch the Digimon animes and you play the Pokemon games, not the other way around.

Read both mangas though, both series have very good mangas.

I watched the first one when I was a kid, and what I remember of it felt like a newgrounds t.v. show in terms of quality. To be fair though, I played Digimon to give it a chance. It does some stuff differently that I liked. But not enough to stick with it like Pokemon.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that's the one I played. One of the Vita ones. I liked it, but the story and my self-imposed grinding to try to get the Digimon I liked made me feel burned out on it after so many hours. Maybe I'll finish it some day though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
rhyperior looks like a digital monster, because it has orange on it. this makes me smart

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im going to murder ruggington

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Countblanc posted:

rhyperior looks like a digital monster, because it has orange on it. this makes me smart

the smartest

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

Charizard is the digimoniest pokemon

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

:yeah:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

Charizard is the digimoniest pokemon

If you gave Mega-Charizard X a belt, some robot parts and a scar it would literally be a digimon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

you're just jealous because you're not a digidestined

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

It really pisses me off that they went from animals to flat out humans in armor and they're still considered digital monsters.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dizz posted:

flat out humans in armor and they're still considered digital monsters.

just like us if the hypothesis that we're all living in a simulation is true

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dizz posted:

It really pisses me off that they went from animals to flat out humans in armor and they're still considered digital monsters.

People are monsters, dumb-dumb.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
plus, we also evolved from animals

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Rhyperior looks awesome. If it's a Digimon, then we need more Digimon in our Pokemon.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Serebii reports a new Mega Stone event has gone live:

Serebii posted:

A new event has begun around the globe. This event gives the Mega Stones for Mega Tyranitar, Abomasnow and Manectric, as well as the Mega Stone, Aggronite. This is given with the code: SABLEVOLANT. Like before, there currently is no end date known for this distribution so be sure to get it while you still can. This follows on from the distribution to tie in with the 2017 International Challenge May for the first three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
btw, Sable Volant is the French name of Sand Stream so it has nothing to do with Sableye