Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Some players legitimately don't enjoy losing to competitive-level standard decks, but y'all are reacting like he claimed to be god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Can you all really not even fathom what is like to casually play MTG? To not want to play against people who are only there to win? How even if you don't mind losing because having fun is more important, losing all the time because you aren't as competitive and aren't willing to spend the money to pretend, is boring and a stupid way to spend a friday night?

Not a gimmick account. I've played games all my life. When my family gets together, it's either sheepshead or we bring out a board game. We play and we crack jokes and have fun and you win sometimes and you lose more than that. Magic is just a game. Some people take it much more seriously and that's fine. Great. That's not me though.

Acting like I don't even deserve a spot in the community because that's how I feel is lovely and I'm sorry I don't show up to give you an easy win on Friday nights.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
You got issues that are way beyond the scope of this thread. Win, lose, it's a game. If you don't find joy in interacting with players beyond the cards you're not going to enjoy yourself.

Sounds like you'd be super fun to have in an EDH playgroup though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I will not judge your stance but I will say you are far better off going to a game store that has board game nights and not game stores that cater to competitive card games. You can certainly have fun with ccgs with your friends and stuff, but almost every store is gonna have a competitive edge. Or play multiplayer EDH.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

CalebD half way through his 365th day of streaming magic celebrated with a cake with 365 candles, it made one hell of a fire. It was awesome.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantDistinctDolphinTebowing

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

It's completely fair to want to play casually. The problem with the FNM changes is that they're taking a tournament, however casual it may be, and telling people that if they play to win they're not wanted there anymore.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GeneX posted:

Some players legitimately don't enjoy losing to competitive-level standard decks, but y'all are reacting like he claimed to be god

So what is the acceptable level of competitive acumen people are allowed to bring to the table? What level is too much?

I don't get it. I wouldn't hang out with most magic players outside of the game. But I tend to have fun, socialize, and make a few friends along the way. And I do well, but having played 0-4 with a bad sealed or constructed brew I still had fun.

Then again, there are plenty of people who go 0-2 drop. Or drop immediately if their sealed or draft pool is bad.

The only person that can make winning a $5/person prize pool matter is you.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

ShaneB posted:

I will not judge your stance but I will say you are far better off going to a game store that has board game nights and not game stores that cater to competitive card games. You can certainly have fun with ccgs with your friends and stuff, but almost every store is gonna have a competitive edge. Or play multiplayer EDH.

Yeah. That's why I don't go to FNM. I know this and it was me saying this that started everything.

Let me reiterate: If WoTC succeds at making FMN more casual and less competitive I will be more likely to attend because I am more casual and less competitive and it would be more suited to me. I only posted because most responses to the Promo card thing seemed to be from people who didn't think that people like me existed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

CalebD half way through his 365th day of streaming magic celebrated with a cake with 365 candles, it made one hell of a fire. It was awesome.

https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantDistinctDolphinTebowing

I like this and also that Tebowing is one of the diceware style dictionary words.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

bigperm posted:

Yeah. That's why I don't go to FNM. I know this and it was me saying this that started everything.

Let me reiterate: If WoTC succeds at making FMN more casual and less competitive I will be more likely to attend because I am more casual and less competitive and it would be more suited to me. I only posted because most responses to the Promo card thing seemed to be from people who didn't think that people like me existed.

What magical level of noncompetition will get you to play at a structured tournament?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

PJOmega posted:

I wouldn't hang out with most magic players outside of the game.
This might be the real difference here, more than casual vs. competitive. I would much rather play some jank kitchen table poo poo with some people I want to hang out with outside of magic than play at any level with someone I wouldn't hang out with.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

PJOmega posted:

What magical level of noncompetition will get you to play at a structured tournament?

I like prereleases and I went to magic league tonight and it wasn't terrible.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

bigperm posted:

Okay, it sounds like sealed formats are your thing. Still disparate skill levels but equal playing field regarding what tools are being brought to the table.

Actually, I should've addressed that awhile back, and I apologise for not. FNM isn't a specific format, and plenty of shops hold draft or even sealed for FNM, rather than constructed. The latter less so because of the higher cost for the player.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mystic Remora and Solemnity, a match made in heaven?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
And yeah, attitudes can be important. I won over a store's player base by telling off an rear end in a top hat blimp who kept rubbing it in on a brand new player that he passed a Gideon when it was $20. Some people are simply toxic.

The thing is, in my experience those toxic people aren't the good players. The good players, and I'll humbly put myself in this group, tend to be more accommodating and helpful. They don't need to angle shoot, or misinterpet boardstates, or play gotcha at Regular REL to play well. In fact, they tend to avoid that because it makes their play worse.

It's always a good feeling when one of the kids at a FNM draft ask you if you'll help them with their deck.

Again, maybe my experience is atypical.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bigperm posted:

If you like pre-releases then it might be worth looking in Limited (or Sealed to be more specific) events at your LGS/in your area. Every player comes in with the same monetary investment and you get to play a different deck each time. I wish I like Limited more but I am terrible at it even though I know the only way to get better is to practice!

Also yeah different stores do different formats for FNM, the store I go to does Modern/EDH/Pauper on a three-week rotation. If you want to try Constructed but don't want to "lose" to being outspent then Pauper might be worth looking into, since the decks are so cheap overall. There are also a number of cheaper Modern decks that can take down an FNM-level event with a little luck.

PJOmega posted:

And yeah, attitudes can be important. I won over a store's player base by telling off an rear end in a top hat blimp who kept rubbing it in on a brand new player that he passed a Gideon when it was $20. Some people are simply toxic.

The thing is, in my experience those toxic people aren't the good players. The good players, and I'll humbly put myself in this group, tend to be more accommodating and helpful. They don't need to angle shoot, or misinterpet boardstates, or play gotcha at Regular REL to play well. In fact, they tend to avoid that because it makes their play worse.

It's always a good feeling when one of the kids at a FNM draft ask you if you'll help them with their deck.

Again, maybe my experience is atypical.

One of the most gracious regulars at my store makes it to the top table for like 80% of our Modern FNMs (and I secretly hate him for it because he always beats me when we play). Good players are not always pricks, and vice versa. I've also been involved in numerous discussions for helping store newcomers improve their decks, even if they are generally considered to be poo poo decks.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 21, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

bigperm posted:

No, you'd still lose and then get upset because your opponents still "trying too hard" aka putting in slightly more effort that you. Your attitude isn't conducive to a sustainable community because unless everyone agrees to put forth exactly the same arbitrary amount of effort, then someone's going to get their feelings hurt.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
It's not like there are a ton of places around me anyway. I had to drive 35min each way to play league and the next closest place is almost an hour each way.

I think I was expecting this little bumfuck card shop that mostly sells baseball cards (wtf) in a town that literally doesn't have a bookstore to be this magical place to come and make knew friends to hang out and play magic with. And it's not and that could definitely be coloring my view of FNM.

I just need to somehow trick more my actual friends into learning how to play but I am pretty sure they use all of their brains just playing fantasy football.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It should be noted that the competitive players they want gone are the ones who attend primarily for the promos.

you know, the guys who'll drive an extra 30 minutes so they can style on the people in a less competitive game store

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

GeneX posted:

It should be noted that the competitive players they want gone are the ones who attend primarily for the promos.

you know, the guys who'll drive an extra 30 minutes so they can style on the people in a less competitive game store

Is this really a serious problem and did it warrant taking something that people liked away from everyone else?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GeneX posted:

Then the solution is to send out more promos and make it a participation thing. Not send 4 promos to a store that gets 16+ drafters every week.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

But how could they possibly get more shiny cardboard?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

If you like pre-releases then it might be worth looking in Limited (or Sealed to be more specific) events at your LGS/in your area. Every player comes in with the same monetary investment and you get to play a different deck each time. I wish I like Limited more but I am terrible at it even though I know the only way to get better is to practice!

Also yeah different stores do different formats for FNM, the store I go to does Modern/EDH/Pauper on a three-week rotation. If you want to try Constructed but don't want to "lose" to being outspent then Pauper might be worth looking into, since the decks are so cheap overall. There are also a number of cheaper Modern decks that can take down an FNM-level event with a little luck.

In my experience the casual players tend to dislike pauper, unless they're casual purely for budget reasons. It's pretty hostile to non-tier decks so your goofy combo or tribal homebrew will get destroyed by a netdeck just as hard as in modern/standard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

little munchkin posted:

In my experience the casual players tend to dislike pauper, unless they're casual purely for budget reasons. It's pretty hostile to non-tier decks so your goofy combo or tribal homebrew will get destroyed by a netdeck just as hard as in modern/standard.

Modern Pauper: We all are wandering blind.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bigperm posted:

It's not like there are a ton of places around me anyway. I had to drive 35min each way to play league and the next closest place is almost an hour each way.

I think I was expecting this little bumfuck card shop that mostly sells baseball cards (wtf) in a town that literally doesn't have a bookstore to be this magical place to come and make knew friends to hang out and play magic with. And it's not and that could definitely be coloring my view of FNM.

I just need to somehow trick more my actual friends into learning how to play but I am pretty sure they use all of their brains just playing fantasy football.

I'll say what I always say here: no gaming is ALWAYS better than bad gaming. Even if you really like and want to play magic, it's better not to play it at all if it's with pricks. What you really want is to play with just friends and not in the context of FNM, and I've been in that spot before (but right now we're primarily playing board games for most of our fridays). If you can rope your friends into it, split a box with them and do several drafts and/or sealed pools. Sometimes you're lucky and you do get to meet cool and good guys at an LGS over a game of magic. I've done the same. Heck, I made a couple lifelong ones out of the hundreds I've met. But honestly I wouldn't bet on it. The chances are tiny. Like what PJ said, I wouldn't hang out of the majority of magic players outside of the game. I don't know how some people will carpool with non-friend magic players for hours to a big event. But they do it. That's dedication.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the silver bordered transformers card is an optimus prime planeswalker. it's slated for unstable as well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

A new card not working right on mtgo? Well I never.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/888155438432256000

How good or bad is this skred players? I feel like the god is okayish.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

bigperm posted:

Can you all really not even fathom what is like to casually play MTG? To not want to play against people who are only there to win? How even if you don't mind losing because having fun is more important, losing all the time because you aren't as competitive and aren't willing to spend the money to pretend, is boring and a stupid way to spend a friday night?

Not a gimmick account. I've played games all my life. When my family gets together, it's either sheepshead or we bring out a board game. We play and we crack jokes and have fun and you win sometimes and you lose more than that. Magic is just a game. Some people take it much more seriously and that's fine. Great. That's not me though.

Acting like I don't even deserve a spot in the community because that's how I feel is lovely and I'm sorry I don't show up to give you an easy win on Friday nights.

You know, I get this. But FNM is exactly the kind of event where people who just want to have fun can come out and mingle with people who are playing competitive decks (and honestly, are usually the same people). I've been to a large number of casual events and FNM in the local scene and there have been exactly zero times when I felt like I was getting crushed by someone who was all surly and unfriendly and super-competitive in a bad way. The one player I thought might have been that way actually turned out to be a really cool guy who just liked to complain about his luck.

I've lost track of the number of times I've laid out my deck after a match and we talked about card choices or something, or when a new player comes in with a budget brew they just build and leaves with a big list of card suggestions to try. And yes, this is Friday Night Magic, it's like, the casual experience is what FNM is already about. That's why this decision by Wizards seems so bizarre to me, because there's no need to disincentivize people to come to FNM, because 95% of the people who show up are genuinely fun to play against and interact with... in my experience.

Your point about spending money I will concede; budget decks are difficult enough in a format like Standard and hard to imagine in a format like Modern.

That said, if you like playing magic with your personal friends outside of any kind of structured play, more power to you.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 21, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheDemon posted:

You know, I get this. But FNM is exactly the kind of event where people who just want to have fun can come out and mingle with people who are playing competitive decks (and honestly, are usually the same people). I've been to a large number of casual events and FNM in the local scene and there have been exactly zero times when I felt like I was getting crushed by someone who was all surly and unfriendly and super-competitive in a bad way. The one player I thought might have been that way actually turned out to be a really cool guy who just liked to complain about his luck.

I've lost track of the number of times I've laid out my deck after a match and we talked about card choices or something, or when a new player comes in with a budget brew they just build and leaves with a big list of card suggestions to try. And yes, this is Friday Night Magic, it's like, the casual experience is what FNM is already about. That's why this decision by Wizards seems so bizarre to me, because there's no need to disincentivize people to come to FNM, because 95% of the people who show up are genuinely fun to play against and interact with... in my experience.

Your point about spending money I will concede; budget decks are difficult enough in a format like Standard and hard to imagine in a format like Modern.

That said, if you like playing magic with your personal friends outside of any kind of structured play, more power to you.

Modern might be the easiest format to play on a budget outside of pauper in paper. 100$ goes so far in modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

uPen posted:

A new card not working right on mtgo? Well I never.

It's more the manner in which it doesn't work. Mystic Remora requires a constant 1 mana payment every turn. If you don't pay it gets sacced. So it's not adding counters but apparently it starts with 1 in play or something, like they shortcutted it to ETB with 1 and only add the counter after the upkeep trigger resolves? Glacial Chasm on the other hand, asks for a payment of 2 life but doesn't take 2 life if you say yes. I'm really curious about Braid of Fire and other cards with weird, non-mana upkeep costs.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheDemon posted:

Exactly this. The guys at my store that are the easiest to shoot the poo poo with are all dudes in their late 20s with enough money to play good decks, and we have a blast pushing the format to its limits. We also have some guys who show up with a weird new brew every week that usually go 2-1, and they are having a good time as well even when they are losing. It really comes down to player's attitudes.

There was a guy who said something along the lines, "I remember why I don't come here anymore, I get beat by people with 100$+ decks." And we said he should stick around for draft, and he said that was too expensive... Don't be that guy.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I guess I should at least give it a shot. Next standard fnm is Aug 4th. Who wants to help me make my Enigma drake deck good enough to bring and also what is a sideboard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Some of the most fun I had at FNM was all those 2-2 finishes with Maze's End Turbo Fog and that janky Akroan Horse-Trading Post-Tymaret deck. Decks that are fun to play even though they're not really competitive are usually totally fine at FNM.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I would go to FNM if everyone had $40 decks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/888155438432256000

How good or bad is this skred players? I feel like the god is okayish.

seems fine, a lot of people run bridge in skred sideboards already. also magma jet is probably better than skred(possibly bolt as well) since you run a lot of blanks you'd want to scry away and don't really need to kill big stuff. the meta is unfavorable for traditional skred at the moment so going all-in on cheese makes sense. could use some chalices i guess. revoker over pithing needle is unusual, i guess he really wants to shut down mana rocks

you're losing a lot of percentage points against fair decks though, one of the more deceptive things about skred is that it's really good at grinding out games against midrange and control decks, this version can't really win a card advantage war against discard or countermagic

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Injuryprone posted:

I would go to FNM if everyone had $40 decks.

So promote a format like the aforementioned Standard Silverblack. Sure it won't be an actual FNM but that's because someone rightly pointed out WotC won't ever promote something that doesn't incentive opening packs. That and it's likely a remotely solvable format that would be wrecked under pro tinkering. Sort of like block constructed.

But for brewing? A playset of C/U of each new set is normally pretty cheap. Weird outliers like Fatal Push expempted. And you probably don't even need to buy 20% of each set, since there's a lot of unplayable-even-in-limited chaff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

bigperm posted:

I guess I should at least give it a shot. Next standard fnm is Aug 4th. Who wants to help me make my Enigma drake deck good enough to bring and also what is a sideboard.

Just go to the next draft FNM and draft two Engima Drakes and a Glorybringer, problem solved.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

We've got banner art of the last two commanders in upcoming commander set.

Looks like Vampires and either Clerics or Wizards?
Oh well, there goes my $70. :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

bigperm posted:

Challenge accepted. What does your current Enigma Drake deck look like? Or are you wanting to start from scratch? What's your budget?