Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

at around this time i inherited a really nice antique watch from my grandpa, i was pretty young at the time but i was also pretty diligent about taking good care of it so i'd earned the right to wear it casually instead of just for formal events, i left it with the clerk at the front because i normally take it off when i'm at a keyboard and i was too paranoid to just jam it in my pocket, i asked for it back a couple hours later and the clerk actually had the wherewithal to say i never gave him anything - i bought in my dad to hash things out and the clerk just repeated himself, saying i never gave him anything and that i was probably lying and lost it some other dumb way

Ever get the watch back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd imagine if you started calling the cops your watch would have magically reappeared ASAP.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i did not get it back - the clerk wasn't enough of an idiot to wear it right away or just hide behind the counter since my dad did check without asking so apparently a birdbrained, blatant lie forcing a my-word-or-yours situation against a dumb middle schooler was indeed the perfect scam :smith:

i guess nowadays just calling parents/police on a cell to sort things out straight away would work out better than not having a phone because it's the early 2000s, and then having to walk home for like 40 minutes before hearing a friendly voice that'll maybe help sort things out; the barest consolation here is that it was fitted for my skinny preteen wrists, and that it more-or-less required its included maintenance kit, so without its matching metal expansion links and other tools it's not going to fit anyone, sell for full value or last more than a year or two

hard counter has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jul 21, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SpacePig posted:

and about the time he totally slammed a guy into the side of his building when he tried to steal from his store

So who else remembers Acts of Gord?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

John Murdoch posted:

I only remember one of those, where this guy came in and asked him to import Final Fantasy IX for him (apparently you can just do that), then came back and complained it was in Chinese. And he laid out this sick "No, Japanese. Because it's a Japanese game. From Japan. For Japanese gamers." And then I think he lit a cigarette and the smoke spelled out JOHNNY.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

John Murdoch posted:

Holy crap, I googled it after you mentioned it and I'm so glad I did. Fantastic read.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
http://www.actsofgord.com/Chronicles/chapter12.php
This sick Home Improvement reference burn has stuck with me for like 15 years, the only thing I remembered about Acts of Gord.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

There is a comic book store in Eugene, Oregon that threatens anyone who gives it a negative review with a $5000.00 fine and six months jail time. They research the reviewer and post their names, say they are going to contact where they go to school or where they work.

And my personal favorite, going through a customer's receipts and posting how much they spent in their google review response when the customer complained that they couldn't use a debit card for purchases under $3.00.

quote:

Response from the owner
2/14/2015 Looking at your receipts, on the average month, you ordered 25 comics (making it about $80) a month and when we put it in your subscription box, you would put a minimum of 10 back on to the sales floor's shelf each month making it more like $45 with 15% discount and costing us money on the 10 each month you would claim you had already bought "somewhere else.' So, no, you were not profitable, you were a loss of money. Sometimes, your wife wouldn't even pick up comics until 2 months later. By the last 3 months, you were down to 2 comics in your subscription during this 10 month subscription you had with us. We already flagged you as difficult when you claimed that Castle of Games 'sucked' and kept not ordering comics you wanted. We know comic owners do their best at filling orders, so it showed us that you were going to eventually clash with us. When you removed 21 titles from your pull in November (that we paid for) down to 4, we were going to close your account, but alas, my employees were the only ones that saw you. We are relieved you are going somewhere else. We don't like losing more money than gaining from a subscriber especially since your wife not only once but many times used profanity in our store, threatened fanciful lawsuits, and pretty much caused too many problems. Oh, by the way, you ALSO are banned from the store for life for your trolling. He can also be found as Floyd91 on the internet.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

There is a comic book store in Eugene, Oregon that threatens anyone who gives it a negative review with a $5000.00 fine and six months jail time. They research the reviewer and post their names, say they are going to contact where they go to school or where they work.

Good luck trying to follow through with that.

My only bad nerd store experience is pretty par for the course. I went into a gamestop just to browse when an employee asked if I was interested in (I think) Super Street fighter 4. I don't know what I was thinking, but I told him SF4 got way too technical for me so I wasn't gonna buy the new one.

As a neckbeard myself, I didn't know what to do when he cornered me and went into a long diatribe about the character Viper. It was a lot of 'oh really' and 'wow' until I lied about having to be somewhere. It's been years, and while I'm sure he doesn't work there anymore, I still won't go back.

To put a happy ending on it, I started going to a local store where the employees were much more well adjusted. I still hang out with those guys.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

(passive aggressive harassment bullshit)

And my personal favorite, going through a customer's receipts and posting how much they spent in their google review response when the customer complained that they couldn't use a debit card for purchases under $3.00.

How in the gently caress do they get away with harassment like that?!? Is Eugene a corrupt enough town for them not to be shut down or what? What disgusting pricks, I hope someone has the cash and the desire to ruin the owners and participants permanently.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quad posted:

http://www.actsofgord.com/Chronicles/chapter12.php
This sick Home Improvement reference burn has stuck with me for like 15 years, the only thing I remembered about Acts of Gord.

Haha thanks for sharing these, they are a good read. I like the early 2000s nostalgia, I forgot the PS2 was like $300 at launch.

I do wonder if some of these stories wander into fantasy territory, especially anything involving Gord physically stopping a thief.

quote:

"You want trouble? You got trouble!" spoke one of the two individuals that Gord had stopped. The individual pulled out a metal pipe from his jacket.

The Gord was curious why he hadn't used that to try and take the door down.

Anyway, the vandal wasn't very proficient in using a weapon and levelled it above his head in a threatening fashion. Fortunately the Gord was trained for just this scenario. He stepped in, ensured the arm could not swing the pipe at the Gord while the Gord's other hand came up and proceeded to send the vandals nose into his cranium. The stories are true. When you do that to a person there truly is blood everywhere.

While the vandal was dropping back and screaming in pain as his blood went everywhere, the second vandal stood in surprise. Before the first person even hits the ground the Gord side kicked the second person in the chest and send him careening down a cement staircase.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Haha thanks for sharing these, they are a good read. I like the early 2000s nostalgia, I forgot the PS2 was like $300 at launch.

I do wonder if some of these stories wander into fantasy territory, especially anything involving Gord physically stopping a thief.

Yeah there's no chance in hell thats a thing that happened that's like a story Steven seagall would tell about himself

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah there's no chance in hell thats a thing that happened that's like a story Steven seagall would tell about himself

It didn't involve crushing any dogs?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What's sad is of all the stories that finally convinced me (I was a dumb teen) was the guy who imported final fantasy 9 only to be incredulous it was in "Chinese". Even though to even play it you'd have to mod your ps1, and the odds of someone not understanding importing while also modding their console is basically 0.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

What's sad is of all the stories that finally convinced me (I was a dumb teen) was the guy who imported final fantasy 9 only to be incredulous it was in "Chinese". Even though to even play it you'd have to mod your ps1, and the odds of someone not understanding importing while also modding their console is basically 0.

Nah, I'd believe that. My ps1 got modded by my parents paying some guy to do it so that we could use pirated discs. :filez:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Intoluene posted:

Nah, I'd believe that. My ps1 got modded by my parents paying some guy to do it so that we could use pirated discs. :filez:

My 4 year sting has paid off. Book him, fellas

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I was confused by him being the shop owner and yet having time to play multiplayer Starcraft at the counter. His opponents must have had strong tolerances for pausing matches, or he made a lot of customers wait.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, people showed up at the store I worked at with modded consoles all the time. They usually had a buddy or a friend of a friend who knew how to do it.

I had a regular who was Extremely Christian and came in one day with an original Xbox that he had bought at a garage sale. This was 2010 or so, so the original Xbox was well past its prime. He had discovered that it had a full set of NES and SNES ROMs installed on it and he very desperately wanted me to remove any mods from the system (which we didn't do, and I didn't know how to do) and was extremely nervous to even have the thing in his possession. I suggested that maybe he could just... not play them, but even owning the thing freaked him out. He wouldn't give it away, either, since he thought he could be implicated in the sale of stolen goods. I gave him some instructions I found on Google to uninstall them, and then he asked me if I was a Christian and if I would be interested in allowing him to witness to me about Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I politely declined and never saw him again.

That's nowhere near the awkwardness of some of these stories, but it was slightly awkward for me.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Intoluene posted:

I've never been good at anything that involves technology but even I figured out how to rig a ps1 with a spring and a bootleg game shark so I could play burned games when I was like 10

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Intoluene posted:

Yeah but i assume you understood the concept of "Japanese games are in Japanese". Im just saying the inverse of not having a modded console would be more believable. "Hey you sold me a defective disc, it doesn't even work!"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think even back then it would have kicked back an error message explaining that the disc won't work on your system, though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Look at you nerds who had to mod your PS1 to play pirated games. I had one of the first ones they released, I didn't do the recall they did so no mod needed. Sure the drat thing hand to be played upside down but whatever.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've never been good at anything that involves technology but even I figured out how to rig a ps1 with a spring and a bootleg game shark so I could play burned games when I was like 10

Nah, this was a complete hard mod. I'd pop my ps1 open to find the chip but :effort:.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but i assume you understood the concept of "Japanese games are in Japanese". Im just saying the inverse of not having a modded console would be more believable. "Hey you sold me a defective disc, it doesn't even work!"

Yes but I was also fairly bright for a 10 year old.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got to play with one of the weird blue devkit PS1s once that could play anything and had a bunch of weird outputs. That was a good nerd store experience.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
These are some really old neurons firing, but IIRC Gord is absolutely 100% fake. When it got popular someone internet detectived the business and it turned out he was shady as all hell and had a list of legal issues as long as your arm. He was a terrible proto-redpilly nerd whose store went under while he was over in Japan on "vacation", which was him staying in glorious nippon for as long as he could by spending the store's money to stay longer, but he overspent it. He's a terrible person and nobody should believe anything he says. The entire site is 100% self-aggrandizing bullshit.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Suzuran posted:

These are some really old neurons firing, but IIRC Gord is absolutely 100% fake. When it got popular someone internet detectived the business and it turned out he was shady as all hell and had a list of legal issues as long as your arm. He was a terrible proto-redpilly nerd whose store went under while he was over in Japan on "vacation", which was him staying in glorious nippon for as long as he could by spending the store's money to stay longer, but he overspent it. He's a terrible person and nobody should believe anything he says. The entire site is 100% self-aggrandizing bullshit.

Hahaha he has his own SAclipedia entry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=235

The whole thing is worth a read, highlights:

quote:

Canadian owner of a video games store. Runs a website, Acts of Gord, where which he describes the idiocy of retail customers and how he deals with them.

Registered at the Something Awful forums in early November of 2001 and proved to be a massive jackass. Was especially fond of trolling Nintendo threads in the Games forum. Got a bad reputation quickly and caused many people to call for his head.

Eventually FYAD poster Corbalt called Gord out December 2002 in FYAD and challenged him to a Starcraft match. The bet: If Corbalt could beat Gord ten times in a row, Gord would be permabanned. If Gord won even once, Corbalt would be permabanned. Corbalt proceeded to hand Gord's rear end to him; Gord claimed only nine games were played even though witnesses clearly witnessed ten.

Flamed out by posting a long, inaccurate rant directed at Lowtax in FYAD shortly before he was permabanned. Afterwards, it was discovered that his web hosting was run by furries.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Well that was a bit of a ride.

If a jackass of such caliber comes along again, maybe an exception should be made for callout bullshit.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
I guess it was Korea and not Japan, tomayto/tomahto. Stupid is as stupid does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In a Chapters, the science fiction section is right next to the anime and manga aisle. I was out looking at the SF books while waiting for my friend, and the smell from the other side wafted over and I almost gagged. Wasn't a big fat guy though, it was a bunch of skinny teenage girls who looked like they hadn't showered in days. Their mom was sitting by the edge of the aisle presumably ignoring them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Real Gord is a lot funnier than those stories. What a tossbag.

Also it's weird that all the Barnes and Nobles I've been to now have full Manga aisles.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

mind the walrus posted:

Also it's weird that all the Barnes and Nobles I've been to now have full Manga aisles.

I can remember over a decade ago when bookstores began to carry manga and it was clear they had no clue "manga" wasn't a single genre about dragonballs and sailor scouts. My at-the-time teenage sisters had founded an anime club at school and I was looking for something new for them, possibly holiday gifts. Waldenbooks openly had adult manga alphabetically mixed in with the couple of shelves worth of stuff. The sort of stuff where the covers didn't make it obvious, but flipping through there were half-nude ingenue gynoids in provocative poses, the kind of stuff that would have at least been shrink-wrapped had it been at the city's single "anime store" instead of a national bookseller.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I can remember over a decade ago when bookstores began to carry manga and it was clear they had no clue "manga" wasn't a single genre about dragonballs and sailor scouts. My at-the-time teenage sisters had founded an anime club at school and I was looking for something new for them, possibly holiday gifts. Waldenbooks openly had adult manga alphabetically mixed in with the couple of shelves worth of stuff. The sort of stuff where the covers didn't make it obvious, but flipping through there were half-nude ingenue gynoids in provocative poses, the kind of stuff that would have at least been shrink-wrapped had it been at the city's single "anime store" instead of a national bookseller.

I went in to a comic store in Sydney and found an english version of a hentai manga once. Almost bought it for the sheer novelty factor before having better judgement and not wanting the cashier to judge me. The ratio of these reasons informing my decision to not buy it is an exercise left to the reader.

For those curious, it was Bondage Fairies, I think.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

When I worked in Borders we put the manga section opposite the YA section--at the height of the Twilight/Hunger Games popularity no less--and I always found it weird to have books like Parasyte, Berserk, and Uzumaki side by side with Pokemon, Naruto, Dragonball, and Fairy Tail. No one ever really browsed or bought anything though. Borders was crazy overpriced and deserved to die.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I got a copy of Mahoromatic as a teenager from Waterstones (the UKs biggest bookseller) without realising it was essentially a hentai book. I think I returned it but it's equally likely I shoved it away into a box in a panicked and embarrassed shame.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

When I worked in Borders we put the manga section opposite the YA section--at the height of the Twilight/Hunger Games popularity no less--and I always found it weird to have books like Parasyte, Berserk, and Uzumaki side by side with Pokemon, Naruto, Dragonball, and Fairy Tail. No one ever really browsed or bought anything though. Borders was crazy overpriced and deserved to die.

I found Monster as well as a thing about high schoolers committing suicide in the same shelf as the freakin Babysitters Club at a local used book store. The cashier didn't seem to care much when I informed them that stocking manga in the kids section might not be the best plan.

At least I bought most of Monster.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I also found the Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service there which was a hidden treat. That one was on the line of inappropriate. No straight hentai, thankfully. I do kind of miss that job. The pay was trash and having to sort shelves after customers ravage it every day is a special kind of abrasive, but working with books is about as cool as retail gets.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I don't read a ton of comics, but occasionally I would buy some back issues, or a trade from the local comic shop. A few years ago there was a Mortal Kombat comic coming out to tell the story of what happens between 9 and X. I went into the shop and asked if they had any copies, and the owner said they don't sell any thing like that. I said no worries I'll just order it online, and he loving flipped his wig. "You're killing retail!... Support small business" just on and on. I was kinda flabbergasted that he told me that he didn't sell what I wanted, didn't offer to get it in for me, then lost his poo poo when I mentioned getting it online. I haven't been back since. I think the owner owns the whole strip mall he is in, and that's how he stays open, since I drive by every day, and never saw anyone in there.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Not a gaming-store story, but it is close enough to be on topic imo, and a lovely enough experience to make up for that.

So, my friend and I were probably 12 years old, and our local small-town library had a couple of role-playing events; one for just kids early in the day, and one later on for anyone older. So, we sign up for the kids' one, and had an Ok time, but when asked whether we had fun, told the organizer that we had hoped it'd be more creative, like, improve theater-ish, and we were then recommended to check out the later event for non-kids, which made us feel pretty grown up & cool.

At this event we were the only ones younger than, I'm guessing, mid-20s, but it might just have been that everyone appeared to be a grown-up, and we didn't recognize anyone else, other than the guy running the kids' event earlier in the day. Apparently he had a gaming-store in a nearby larger town. and most everyone else were like hangers-on.

Anyway, the organizers split everyone up into two gaming groups, and my friend and I were placed in separate groups. The game is some crime mystery detective noir thing, and we both end up getting the token female-character assigned in each of our groups, which was a sort of "femme fatale" character. The organizer in my group was the dude who ran the game for kids earlier in the day, and he did a good job at including me in an appropriate way, and I had fun, but my friend was guided into role-playing some really inappropriate stuff, the worst of which, as I remember, was probably, that in a scene where an informant is meant to be pressured for information, my friend was cajoled into making a deal with the informant by role-playing that her character was giving him a blow job, describing that and being encouraged to make gestures.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tale 2

Next one involves a friend of mine who used to work at a Gamestop. She's a hardcore nerd, into pen and paper, video games, comics, anime, cosplay etc. Unfortunately, this occasionally means she encounters awful sexism (not that nerds invented the concept, but the lack of social graces you sometimes see in the subculture means it's probably a bit more blunt and unsubtle). She was helping a customer one day decide on some games because he had a budget, and after she helped him, he remarked "I'm surprised how knowledgable you were, considering." And she's a little confused as to what he means. He motions to her chest (she's pretty stacked), and she puts together that he means that he didn't expect an attractive woman to be able to help him. Her manager had to finish the transaction after she asked to take his break, because otherwise she'd have let him have it.

An older post, but I wonder the following as a possible miscommunication:

There is the stereotype in a lot of gamer geek circles that GS employees in general are far less knowledgeable about gaming stuff than they themselves are. Maybe he was pointing less at her chest and more at her nametag or GS badges or something at as reference to, "...considering (you work for Gamestop)."

I mean, many of the "GS Sucks" rants I've seen on the internet swing between, "LIterally everyone working in that store is stupid and doesn't know anything about games" or "I used to work for GS and I was the only person who knew a thing about games in that store and everyone from my coworkers to my district managers were idiots!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grandmother of Five posted:

Anyway, the organizers split everyone up into two gaming groups, and my friend and I were placed in separate groups. The game is some crime mystery detective noir thing, and we both end up getting the token female-character assigned in each of our groups, which was a sort of "femme fatale" character. The organizer in my group was the dude who ran the game for kids earlier in the day, and he did a good job at including me in an appropriate way, and I had fun, but my friend was guided into role-playing some really inappropriate stuff, the worst of which, as I remember, was probably, that in a scene where an informant is meant to be pressured for information, my friend was cajoled into making a deal with the informant by role-playing that her character was giving him a blow job, describing that and being encouraged to make gestures.
:stare: Where the gently caress were authority figures to reign that poo poo in?!

• Locked thread