Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fulchrum posted:

Lets talk hypothetical here - is there anything stopping a Democrat from putting their name in for a 2018 senate election that may not actually happen? Then if McCain happens to die between the final date to submit and the November 2018, that person would be running for his seat unopposed? It'd look macabre as gently caress, sure, but it could be an easy way to pickup if he dies between March and October, which is a very real possibility.

It doesn't work like that. There's an election for the seat if it's vacated, but it takes time to print ballots let alone have primaries. I don't know the AZ statutes but there's probably a date somewhere early in 2018 where if McCain dies after that, the appointed replacement will serve until the 2020 election (more accurately the day in 2021 the Senators elected in 2020 are sworn in), because there isn't enough time to arrange the election.

You are describing a scenario where there's an election in 2018 against McCain where McCain dies and the Dem runs unopposed. That is literally impossible because Senator McCain's term lasts until 2022/2023.

Robot Hobo posted:

At some point, maybe soon, it seems inevitable that it's going to come down to an "It's him or us" choice. Since his mess only seems to be accelerating, waiting it out until 2020 (or even 2018) may suddenly not seem like a realistic option anymore. It's possible that decision has already been made, they just haven't figured out the when and how and who of actually acting on it.

I think the difference between us is that I don't believe in the Republicans having this sort of capacity for coordination and evaluation of their situation. I see them as being caught in a cognitive dissonance where turning on Trump means admitting they committed a series of horrific mistakes ever since early 2016 when Trump was the frontrunner the first time in the primaries, and they simply can't bend themselves into admitting that. They're also caught in the vice of getting primaried by the GOP supporters who support Trump until the day they die of opioids; the people who get fed up with Trump are abandoning the party and won't vote in the primaries for anti-Trump Republicans.

What might make the dam break in 2018 and 2020 is if there are enough disaffected Republicans who because of their demographics aren't targeted by voter suppression efforts and who can talk themselves into voting against the GOP. But when those voters were supposed to turn out against Trump in 2016 they just voted for him.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Alright I say Mueller is gone by 2 weeks ? 3 weeks tops. Session will be out as well.

Its gonna be great to watch Saturday Night Massacre 2: Orange Boogaloo get live tweeted as he keeps firing people until he reaches the new Bork

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Hollismason posted:

Alright I say Mueller is gone by 2 weeks ? 3 weeks tops. Session will be out as well.

Sessions fires Mueller, then is fired himself.

Trump shrugs and says 'i didn't do it', getting away scott free

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Wait, isn't Trey Gowdy in charge of the oversight committee isn't he suppose to be in Trump's pocket

I think he realizes that the Democrats are going to extract their pound of flesh in retaliation for Benghazi and you can't really count on Trump as an ally. If nothing else, not being an unrepentant partisan hack may make him less of a target.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
So are we ever going to get to see Trump's tax returns?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
PRobably at some point. It seems like this is all accelerating pretty fast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The Trump Train haven't brakes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Goffer posted:

Sessions fires Mueller, then is fired himself.

Trump shrugs and says 'i didn't do it', getting away scott free

Session literally can't fire Mueller.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Antti posted:

It doesn't work like that. There's an election for the seat if it's vacated, but it takes time to print ballots let alone have primaries. I don't know the AZ statutes but there's probably a date somewhere early in 2018 where if McCain dies after that, the appointed replacement will serve until the 2020 election (more accurately the day in 2021 the Senators elected in 2020 are sworn in), because there isn't enough time to arrange the election.

You are describing a scenario where there's an election in 2018 against McCain where McCain dies and the Dem runs unopposed. That is literally impossible because Senator McCain's term lasts until 2022/2023.

I think the difference between us is that I don't believe in the Republicans having this sort of capacity for coordination and evaluation of their situation. I see them as being caught in a cognitive dissonance where turning on Trump means admitting they committed a series of horrific mistakes ever since early 2016 when Trump was the frontrunner the first time in the primaries, and they simply can't bend themselves into admitting that. They're also caught in the vice of getting primaried by the GOP supporters who support Trump until the day they die of opioids; the people who get fed up with Trump are abandoning the party and won't vote in the primaries for anti-Trump Republicans.

What might make the dam break in 2018 and 2020 is if there are enough disaffected Republicans who because of their demographics aren't targeted by voter suppression efforts and who can talk themselves into voting against the GOP. But when those voters were supposed to turn out against Trump in 2016 they just voted for him.

I think it's pretty simple why Republicans aren't turning on Trump. Right now Trump's approval rating with Republicans is around 85%. They're not going to turn on Trump until that number begins dropping.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

FWIW, in George W Bush's last year, when he was hideously unpopular, his approval rating among Republicans was in the 60-70% range. And that took a disastrous financial crisis to get to that point.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I've also seen the meme that Trump can't pardon himself because it's "illegal."

I think this is one of the rare moments when the Air Bud rule really applies. It doesn't say anywhere the President can't pardon himself. The framers' solution to the President going hog wild with the pardon was Congress impeaching him. Guess what :v:

And even if we accept the notion that it is illegal somehow, who is going to enforce it? It breaks my heart that people are desperately looking high and low for some kind of legal framework that will put a stop to the abuse of power. There is no referee. Even if Mueller returns with a scathing indictment of Trump both in the legal and colloquial sense of the word, it won't do poo poo if there's no political capacity to act on the findings.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I think it's pretty simple why Republicans aren't turning on Trump. Right now Trump's approval rating with Republicans is around 85%. They're not going to turn on Trump until that number begins dropping.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

FWIW, in George W Bush's last year, when he was hideously unpopular, his approval rating among Republicans was in the 60-70% range. And that took a disastrous financial crisis to get to that point.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

I sort of hinted at that in my post. The Republican approval % is misleading because these days people are more likely to stop identifying as Republican than continue identifying as Republican while opposing the President. Another reason why the GOP is not going to save us.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Covok posted:

Session literally can't fire Mueller.

Pretty sure he can tell Sessions to fire Rosenstein right

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Won't somebody think of those poor poor Trump high office appointees having to wait 27 whole days! before they are cleared by the OGE?

Nevermind the fact that it takes around 3 months to a year for an average citizen to get a government job especially due to Office of Personnel Mgmt and Security Clearance backlogs.

I just can't believe the US gumbutt puts them through such a degrading process of having to list all of their highly profitable extremely successful LLCs that operate out of a UPS Store PO Box in Rhode Island, Nevada, and New Mexico that employ a single, outsourced IT dude in Ukraine to make sure the 'company' voicemail and website stays operational.

Or I dunno... Maybe if you have so much loving financial assets that it takes $200k worth of lawyer fees over the course of only a few days to untangle all of your poo poo that just maybe you have a little too much influence over the public you wish to serve to hold public office. Maybe you should realize that holding office puts you at too much risk of becoming compromised which in turn puts the public you wish to serve at great risk.

Actually gently caress that. The rubles must flow

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The President can just rewrite the DOJ regulation so that Mueller is directly responsible to him and then he can fire Mueller.

The President can do whatever the hell he wants with the DOJ because it answers to him. The only thing that's stopped previous Presidents is the norm of an independent DOJ which has evolved in the first place because the American executive has terrifying potential and no one wanted to amend the Constitution to fix it.

Other countries have solved this by making the executive head of the government only able to make certain political appointments and all officers of consequence are careerists whose termination is a huge clusterfuck of a process. Oh and in a multiparty coalition you don't have the incentive to coalesce around Your Guy so if your allies in government think you're stepping over the line they can pull the trigger on your position of power (and actually have a political incentive to do so).

Evergreen tweet:

https://twitter.com/boursier/status/802888353851015168

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hollismason posted:

Trump's the one that can fire Rosenstein. He'll probably fire Sessions for good measure if it comes to that, though.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Hollismason posted:

Yea, but no. If Sessions fires Rosenstein he still needs someone that will fire Mueller. So he has to either keep going through career DOJ officials until he finds one that will fire Mueller or he can nominate someone who will, but he will then have to go through the Senate to get his appointee approved. Which I am sure will deter most after seeing what happened to Sessions.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Trump can remove Mueller but what is that going to achieve? It's not like the issue will go away, he might buy himself a little time, but unless he gets his approval ratings, and thereby Congresses support of him up by a significant margin, there will be a thorough investigation of his dealings with Russia whether he likes it or not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In this scenario who exactly is prosecuting Trump and contesting his power to self-pardon? Sessions?

Trumps successor since he is immune to being prosecuted while in office anyway.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm sure this has been posted multiple times ITT in the last few days, but just on the off-chance that it hasn't, and for all those who missed it;

The best video ever made - Alex Jones Rants as a Bon Iver Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWd6XgBVIcg

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

As a reminder Trumps approval rating with republicans is somewhat misleading because it has a selection bias: if you start disapproving of Trump you are much more likely to start considering yourself an independent rather than a republican.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

pkay posted:

Yea, but no. If Sessions fires Rosenstein he still needs someone that will fire Mueller. So he has to either keep going through career DOJ officials until he finds one that will fire Mueller or he can nominate someone who will, but he will then have to go through the Senate to get his appointee approved. Which I am sure will deter most after seeing what happened to Sessions.

The President can simply rewrite the DOJ rules that say who can fire who and who is responsible to who. I'm not sure why Nixon didn't do it that way, probably because it's even more transparently abusive than the Massacre was and takes a bit more time to have people author it.

Edit:

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/06/can-trump-fire-mueller/

quote:

Q: Can President Donald Trump fire special counsel Robert Mueller?
A: Not directly. Only the deputy attorney general who appointed Mueller can fire him and only for cause. But Trump could fire the DAG, or order the special-counsel regulations repealed and fire Mueller himself.

The special counsel regs were probably different during Watergate so it's not worthwhile to draw direct comparisons, anyway.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 21, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Trump's nominee for ambassador to Germany is Richard Grenell, who seems to be one of the less horrible people on the conservative side as far as I can tell. This also makes him the only openly gay man to be nominated by Trump for an official position I think. If you don't remember (I didn't), Grenell was famously run out of the Romney campaign for being gay. Does anyone know more about the man? He seems to be part of the whole "fake media" thing the Trump admin is pushing, but that's about all I know about him.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I've seen a few "this is accelerating very fast" comments, but not a lot of press? What happened? Was it-

Mueller says he can investigate trump money
Trump says he wants to see if he can pardon himself and he doesn't like sessions?
???

I'm not trying to "nothing matters" but just want to know what's going on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

teacup posted:

I've seen a few "this is accelerating very fast" comments, but not a lot of press? What happened? Was it-

Trump says he wants to see if he can pardon himself and he doesn't like sessions?
???

All of those things in a matter of a couple days is a whole lot of acceleration in the investigation.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

teacup posted:

???

that plus several people in the legal representation teams resigning.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

teacup posted:

???

yeah, basically

-muller can investigate trump's money, which is a super sore spot for trump as it hits him right in the ego by proving he's not as rich as he pretends to be (still a rich bastard tho)
-trump is mad the russia thing is still happening, so he whines about the United States Attorney General which is extraordinarily childish and unprofessional
-trump doesn't realize that as the president he has responsibility along with privilege, meaning you can't just go on tv and complain about people without causing shockwaves since your every move as POTUS is scrutinized, seriously, the secret service even bags up your turds when overseas so other countries can't intercept and analyze them
-people continually lose faith in trump in a death spiral because at this point basically everyone realizes he's a giant blinking moron with brain problems but it's a contest to see who can endure it the longest and maintain the polite fiction so as to not be responsible for upsetting the illusion of status quo, like when grandma starts ranting about coloreds at thanksgiving dinner
-also trumps legal counsel is shrinking which may or may not be a Thing but it's a super bad look and lolworthy

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

teacup posted:

???

The news about Trump's lawyer resigning and his raging anger about the investigation/asking about pardoning himself all dropped fairly late in the day, especially on East Coast time where US political news is usually based around.

Unfortunately life isn't a neatly cut movie where everything is wrapped up in two hours.

There will likely be fallout for this brand new round of crazy news tomorrow, when Trump inevitably does/says something to make things worse. Patience is your friend.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
If trump pardoned a poo poo load of people, including his family, Kushner and himself, would anything actually happen?

Would it even matter to the GOP? Would they do anything?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

If trump pardoned a poo poo load of people, including his family, Kushner and himself, would anything actually happen?

A couple days ago they might have been very concerned.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ash Crimson posted:

nobody knows. it should matter but the GOP is kind of stuck with trump right now because we're in the worst timeline. so far they seem content to complain off the record about how troubling and inappropriate everything is while doing the cowardly thing and siding with trump in public

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It would be real nice if someone with a microphone went up to GOP Senators and asked "If Trump fires Mueller, what would you do about it?" and not take "I will pretend Trump can't fire Mueller" as a serious answer.

Same with asking "What would you do if Trump pardoned a member of his administration or his family?" and not taking "He can't do that" as a serious answer.

I just want it on record before it happens and we do another round of concern and disturbance.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you look at GWBs approval ratings, you'll see he started dipping below 85% after Katrina. Even then it was a slow decline. Guess what season it is?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ash Crimson posted:

Domestic terrorism.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mustached Demon posted:

If you look at GWBs approval ratings, you'll see he started dipping below 85% after Katrina. Even then it was a slow decline. Guess what season it is?

Fires in the West, sweltering heat strokes and flooding to the south, cops shooting up people all over season?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Crabtree posted:

Fires in the West, sweltering heat strokes and flooding to the south, cops shooting up people all over season?

Stretch out your hand toward the sky so that darkness will spread over America.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Stretch out your hand toward the sky so that darkness will spread over America.

That's next month.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Right, and then September is the seas going dry and the mountains blowing in the wind like leaves. but not the Appalachians, which are basically just overgrown hills on the east coast of Ohio.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Appalachians are fake mountains, a lie spread by dishonest mainstream liberal geologists.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm expecting a big day in tweets today, should be the usual insanity, plus maybe a nice fresh scandal for the weekend

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

-trump doesn't realize that as the president he has responsibility along with privilege, meaning you can't just go on tv and complain about people without causing shockwaves since your every move as POTUS is scrutinized, seriously, the secret service even bags up your turds when overseas so other countries can't intercept and analyze them
Those poor poor men.

A diet of KFC, soda and Doritos. Having to touch that... I'd rather take bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Ash Crimson posted:

The GOP doesn't like Trump, but he won the election so they have to pay him lip service, because loyalty and conformity are big virtues for the kind of people who vote Republican. When Trump's supporters desert him, it will dramatic and sudden; this kind of people loves to do everything as a group. Mike Pence will then take over, so the Republican control of the Executive Branch is not in jeopardy. Looking back at Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton, impeaching or threatening impeachment does not hurt the President's party. Nixon's ouster did not damage the Republicans, Bill Clinton's disgrace did not damage the Democrats (they won the Congressional elections while he was being tried by the Senate). So I'd say the Republicans' support for Trump is more fragile than it looks. Newt Gingrich is debasing himself defending Trump but his career is near its end anyway.

• Locked thread