Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

African AIDS cum posted:

They wouldnt be able to finish

Bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Giro Rosa is 10 stages all around 70 miles each. Womens racing is always about half as long as mens stages. No they could not ride the full tour parcours.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Froome has been the weakest hes ever been for years and will still win the tour.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Men and women do have different physical properties and TdF pushes men's to the limit:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40653943

For comparison, the Tour de Ski (and other xc skiing competitions) have parallel men's and women's competitions with women's distances being either 1/2 or 2/3rds the men's. An exception is the Tour de Ski final climb, which is the same for both. Something like this would be nice for cycling, but perhaps harder to pull off logistically.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sky are just insane. When Barnet had shelled out his entire team pushing up the final climb Froome still had 3 riders in front of him.

Kwiatowski's got to be among the strongest all-round riders in the world and Landa is clearly a potential GT winner and Froome has them on a leash to just gently caress with everyone else.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ola posted:

Men and women do have different physical properties and TdF pushes men's to the limit:

For comparison, the Tour de Ski (and other xc skiing competitions) have parallel men's and women's competitions with women's distances being either 1/2 or 2/3rds the men's. An exception is the Tour de Ski final climb, which is the same for both. Something like this would be nice for cycling, but perhaps harder to pull off logistically.

Note the Tour de Yorkshire wants to move to being an equal amount of days for Men and Women, but current UCI rules for women mean they can't do more than 2 days. While women will never be able to do as much distance as the men but its the UCI that are holding women back in comparison to other sports, and as a result setting limits that are laughably low.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

The Giro Rosa is 10 stages all around 70 miles each. Womens racing is always about half as long as mens stages. No they could not ride the full tour parcours.

Youre right, it would be impossible for a group of women not even at the top of professional road racing to even complete the full course.

Silly ladies, you can't do what men can, your uterus might fall out.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it very hard to understand on which level of irony the hardcore sexism in this thread is funktioning

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

peanut- posted:

Kwiatowski's got to be among the strongest all-round riders in the world and Landa is clearly a potential GT winner and Froome has them on a leash to just gently caress with everyone else.

Plus they still have Poels at home, and I'm pretty sure Geraint Thomas would have been strong too if he hadn't crashed.

Cyclisme à deux vitesses budgets ...

Did you know: every rider who won the Tour 4 times went on to win it 5 times :aaa:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'd honestly be fine with them picking an event distance that's too long and have shitloads of people drop out, it worked for the men's event for decades when it got started at least

Also Annemiek van Vleuten crushed the poo poo out of the Izoard today so I'm not going to be the one to call her puny and incapable of riding for multiple weeks

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Poor example, this is not racing. I could complete the full course too, i'd just be hours behind every day. People wouldn't want to tune in to watch me.

There is nothing stopping women from competing in the Tour itself, if any were good enough.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

Poor example, this is not racing. I could complete the full course too, i'd just be hours behind every day. People wouldn't want to tune in to watch me.

There is nothing stopping women from competing in the Tour itself, if any were good enough.

Edit: Misread. In any case, if it can be completed, it can be competed on.

I have a feeling the gaps would be too much for a really entertaining GC, but there's only one way to find out, and it would probably be a more open race with long breaks, since I can't imagine teams could lock down the race the same way it's being done in recent years.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
There was a women's Tour de France. It was called Tour Cycliste Féminin and 15 stages at its peak. It eventually withered to 10, then 5 stages before being canned. Other long women's stage races got canned too. This had nothing to do with whether they could complete the course and everything to do with stark realities. The fields were smaller, the talent more strung out, and the sponsorship money supporting the event virtually non-existent.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
From a purely chauvinistic man pig point of view, there is no other women's sport I'd enjoy watching other than women's cycling. Volleyball is close second.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

African AIDS cum posted:

No they could not ride the full tour parcours.

I don't know why I'm bothering with you. Go back to Sky trolling.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Womens racing, when available, is awesome. The womens cyclocross world cup last year was miles more entertaining to watch than the mens racing.
I'd love to see a full length (not necessarily full distance, just time/days) womens tour.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

African AIDS cum posted:

This idiot posts this bullshit in a world where Amanda Coker exists

You know, the woman who just claimed the yearly distance record by riding 381kms AVERAGE a loving day for 365 days and beat the record by 17,000 kms usually at over 32kph average speed? Just beat Tommy Goodwin's 100,000 mile record by 67 days?

You really are full of poo poo if you think women cant do a full tour

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 20, 2017

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This idiot posts this bullshit in a world where Amanda Coker exists

You know, the woman who just claimed the yearly distance record by riding 381kms AVERAGE a loving day for 365 days and beat the record by 17,000 kms usually at over 32kph average speed? Just beat Tommy Goodwin's 100,000 mile record by 67 days?

You really are full of poo poo if you think women cant do a full tour
Wow why hasnt a pro team snapped her up? Maybe there is more to racing?

If i shoot 10,000 free throws a day does that mean I should be in the NBA?

Actually what I have heard one of the main reasons womens races are shorter is because they can't take a "natural break" while riding like the men can.

But think about it seriously, if a stage takes men 6 hours complete it will take women 8. The mens stages are too long as it is. Racing is meant to be entertaining, and seeing a strung out field with 20 minute gaps between riders straggle across the line to prove some point wouldn't make for good viewing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Wow why hasnt a pro team snapped her up? Maybe there is more to racing?

Becuase she just spent the last 421 days breaking records people thought women cant do?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Becuase she just spent the last 421 days breaking records people thought women cant do?

Do you think she could beat Chris Froome on GC?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You really are just a horrible mess of lovely opinions aren't you

It must be very miserable

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

African AIDS cum posted:

Actually what I have heard one of the main reasons womens races are shorter is because they can't take a "natural break" while riding like the men can.

I've seen women's races that say otherwise.

Do the UCI rules still require the female kit to show more skin than the male kit? That rule was always a bit too much.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The tour is extremely tough already at 4-6 hours a day of race exertion in the saddle. Now make that 6-8 hours a day due to the power differences, which would be murder.

Assuming the same exact stages and schedule.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I thought there's some thought that women might have higher physiological potential for ultra endurance events? Not that that necessarily lines up with 21 day stage racing in its current format.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Coker's record isn't really comparable. Ultra-endurance cyclists have a much more limited skillset and most likely fewer genetic gifts. Props to Coker for having the support, time and mental fortitude to do nothing but cycle for 421 days in a row, but she likely wouldn't be able to compete with the Guarniers, van Vleutens, Vos's, etc. of the world. Also her distances were completely flat, almost entirely aided by a draft and she had a recumbent to use when too sore to use a conventional bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I thought there's some thought that women might have higher physiological potential for ultra endurance events? Not that that necessarily lines up with 21 day stage racing in its current format.

I mean isn't the vast majority of the peloton in Z2, maybe the bottom edge of Z3 for the majority of flat stages also? It kicks up a notch on mountain stages, but they're still not going anywhere near their max 5-7 hour power.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kidsafe posted:

Coker's record isn't really comparable. Ultra-endurance cyclists have a much more limited skillset and most likely fewer genetic gifts. Props to Coker for having the support, time and mental fortitude to do nothing but cycle for 421 days in a row, but she likely wouldn't be able to compete with the Guarniers, van Vleutens, Vos's, etc. of the world. Also her distances were completely flat, almost entirely aided by a draft and she had a recumbent to use when too sore to use a conventional bike.

Oh we got this bullshit of she was drafting all time again. No she wasnt, there was a godawful load of time she was solo. And come on, you and I both know pedalling constantly on a flat for big distances is hard work, esp in an area known for winds.

And it really doesnt bend the fact the reply was more about slapping down an idiot who is all but women cant do x...... especially when one great example exists. She may or may not be able to do stage races but wether she can or not isnt the point. The point is that African Aids Cum seems to be compeltely blinkered to the fact women are far more capable on a bike that he is willing to credit and here's the most obvious example - some 24 year old woman rode far beyond what anyone else has ever done. I'm fairly sure women might lack the peak power but they certainly are proving they can ride with the best of the men.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
The women's World Tour has shown that women are 100% capable of racing hard over large distances. It doesn't matter if they could or couldn't complete the same course in the same time. There's obviously interest in women's racing because the Orica BSP for the Giro Rosa is getting about 35-50% of the views the TdF BSPs are, which is actually huge considering the comparative scale of those races. The Giro Rosa is 10 stages, all 100-150km and the racing is plenty fast and plenty exciting.

I think If there was an event which had the Tour de France branding for women which was 2 weeks instead of three with those stage durations there would be a lot of interest. Run it immediately before or after the men's TdF and it wouldn't even have to compete for viewers like a lot of the women's classics do. If it goes well and the teams/riders want it, make it longer. If it's too long, make it shorter. Grand Tours have had different formats before, there's nothing stopping ASO running it and seeing how it goes. I don't think anyone would care if the women weren't doing the exact same course at exactly the same speed except salty trolls like AAC but that's not really the intended audience.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I imagine it would be cheaper to run the events during the same weeks, with the women running the course a day earlier. That way the infrastructure and personnel costs can be kept down. What's stopping this is political. The TdF attacked the TCF and forced it to change names. Non-overlapping sponsorships would also create problems as brands fight for signage / ad space.

Also there's a draconian rule preventing new women's races from being longer than 5 or 6 stages.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Premature posted:

The women's World Tour has shown that women are 100% capable of racing hard over large distances.
How? All women's races are limited in distance by the UCI rules. I think 150 km is the maximum. The best thing for the sport is to grow organically. Right now teams are basically run as a charity case and riders are paid little to nothing. There is not a lot of money in cycling on the mens side either.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have divined some energy gel and seen that today is Edvald's day.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The length of the individual stages doesn't matter. The men's tour would better too if the stages would be shorter.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Premature posted:

There's obviously interest in women's racing because the Orica BSP for the Giro Rosa is getting about 35-50% of the views the TdF BSPs are, which is actually huge considering the comparative scale of those races. The Giro Rosa is 10 stages, all 100-150km and the racing is plenty fast and plenty exciting.

Yeah the BSP stuff from the GR was great this year, and if you're going to watch just one then watch the one for the TT.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

222.5km, why

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

African AIDS cum posted:

How? All women's races are limited in distance by the UCI rules. I think 150 km is the maximum. The best thing for the sport is to grow organically. Right now teams are basically run as a charity case and riders are paid little to nothing. There is not a lot of money in cycling on the mens side either.

It's a bit chicken/egg. Organic growth has to start at the grade school level and expand upward, but with no end-game or personalities to look up to, there's no incentive to ever start. Just look on Strava or any other platform. The ratio of men:women using these training tools is something like 10:1. Money talks of course. USA Cycling pouring all of its funds into women's track for example. They've created a competitive product though much of it basically hinged on Sarah Hammer carrying the whole team...and now Chloe Dygert. There's 100s of potential Chloe Dygerts out there, but if they're smart they'll stick to soccer or avoid trying to make a career out of sports altogether.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

222.5km, why

With the peloton plodding along at 210W on any flat portion and most around or under 300W on the initial climbs.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sounds thrilling, hence my question.

Did they have a list of paid up local towns they had to tick off a list or something

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skarsnik posted:

222.5km, why

UCI/ASO: no why

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Should be exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Sounds thrilling, hence my question.

Did they have a list of paid up local towns they had to tick off a list or something

The national advertising effect is a big thing. I am sure the French government chips in a big bunch of € along with some contract clauses that says races are supposed to go past this and that, and TV commentators are to read out a bunch of fascinating facts about the production of woolen caps or folk dance traditions. And it is supposed to be a tour of France after all, not just a race that happens to be in France.