Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

No, the WoL apparently never before travelled to the past in this time loop. Them doing so is what broke the time loop. Why this time is different? Who the hell knows.

This time is different because the Warriors of Light actually succeeded in their quest. All the other times before they failed (whenever you get a game over). Each time you restart the game is a new time loop, or at least that's one way to interpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Nah, man. It's all about that Black Mage/Monk.

I'm not kidding. Piles of HP, strong physical attacks, all that Black Mage greatness, and in the endgame, you get Holy, and oh boy does Black Mage ever use it better than White. It's not as strong upfront as Ardor, but a lot more enemies are weak to holy than fire. Like, Black Mage/Monk is loving stupid it's so good. Even before you get Holy, it's a Black Mage with more HP than a Knight.

Then get yourself an Archer/Red Battlemage and do the boosted Ardor + Oil trick with the Burning Bow so you get both :hellyeah:

BLM/Monk is great, but there's just nothing as OP in the game as equipping a fire staff, casting oil, then casting ardor. Its ABSURD damage. Its the same as Archer/RDM but even stronger, more magic potency. Trust me. Its everything the ARC/RDM is but more. Burning bow isn't the only +50% fire weapon.
And against things weak to other elements, the BLM/RDM can fully exploit those, while the fire bow RDM/ARC cannot.

But like I keep saying feel free to not do the most OP things in this game its really not needed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

BLM/Monk is great, but there's just nothing as OP in the game as equipping a fire staff, casting oil, then casting ardor. Its ABSURD damage. Its the same as Archer/RDM but even stronger, more magic potency. Trust me. Its everything the ARC/RDM is but more. Burning bow isn't the only +50% fire weapon.
And against things weak to other elements, the BLM/RDM can fully exploit those, while the fire bow RDM/ARC cannot.

But like I keep saying feel free to not do the most OP things in this game its really not needed.

Oh yeah, I'm aware the Flame Staff is there and the Black/Red is even better with Ardor than Red/Archer. But the reason I advocate so strongly for Black Mage/Monk is because it's incredible for the whole game. Black/Red is just a Black Mage with more Cure spells until Ardor. Black/Monk is a Black Mage but with access to sweet melee weapons, a boatload of HP, more Swiftness licenses, and eventually Curaja, and a boosted spell that more things are weak to.

Honestly we're splitting hairs--both combos are ridiculously good, and honestly if you're okay with doubling up you could easily have both, since Black Mage doesn't really get much of note from Espers.

I will say that if you're only going to have one offensive caster, maybe Black/Red is a better choice. But if you're going to have multiple casters, or if you want to use all 12 jobs, I think Archer/Red and Black/Monk give you the most value out of those jobs.

Although, while Oil + Ardor + Flame Staff/Burning Bow is obviously crazy good, I still think the real poo poo is melee. Pair Bushi with any other melee class and you get some crazy poo poo. Bushi/Knight is stupidly strong with katanas, while Bushi/Shikari is the only way to get the Black Robe + Yagyu Darkblade + Genji Glove and just laugh yourself crazy any time something doesn't resist dark.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 21, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are you including Dissidia in this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, I'm aware the Flame Staff is there and the Black/Red is even better with Ardor than Red/Archer. But the reason I advocate so strongly for Black Mage/Monk is because it's incredible for the whole game. Black/Red is just a Black Mage with more Cure spells until Ardor. Black/Monk is a Black Mage but with access to sweet melee weapons, a boatload of HP, more Swiftness licenses, and eventually Curaja, and a boosted spell that more things are weak to.

Honestly we're splitting hairs--both combos are ridiculously good, and honestly if you're okay with doubling up you could easily have both, since Black Mage doesn't really get much of note from Espers.

I will say that if you're only going to have one offensive caster, maybe Black/Red is a better choice. But if you're going to have multiple casters, or if you want to use all 12 jobs, I think Archer/Red and Black/Monk give you the most value out of those jobs.

Although, while Oil + Ardor + Flame Staff/Burning Bow is obviously crazy good, I still think the real poo poo is melee. Pair Bushi with any other melee class and you get some crazy poo poo. Bushi/Knight is stupidly strong with katanas, while Bushi/Shikari is the only way to get the Black Robe + Yagyu Darkblade + Genji Glove and just laugh yourself crazy any time something doesn't resist dark.

:yeah:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

woff is better than 15 AND 12!!!

:agreed:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Finished the Final Dungeon of Zodiac Age and this remaster was disappointing, I guess because it wasn't hard enough? I'm sure my overwhelming love of FF12 will break through eventually but I'm taking a break for now.

I might have to fight my way to Weak Mode and see if I'm tough enough for that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I was on board when you said 12 was better than 15, it's a more complete game. Can't argue there. (Think I had more fun with XV though, spent 50 hours before I went past ch7.)

I think I like XII more than WoFF for doing something completely new, but I'm also an VIII apologist :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ImpAtom posted:

No, the WoL apparently never before travelled to the past in this time loop. Them doing so is what broke the time loop. Why this time is different? Who the hell knows.

That doesn't even make sense. I don't see how it's even a loop. Where's the ontological paradox?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like Woff a lot, it's chill and charming and that is sorely lacking from final fantasy in the last fifteen years

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DoubleCakes posted:

Finished the Final Dungeon of Zodiac Age and this remaster was disappointing, I guess because it wasn't hard enough? I'm sure my overwhelming love of FF12 will break through eventually but I'm taking a break for now.

I might have to fight my way to Weak Mode and see if I'm tough enough for that.

What is weak mode

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What is weak mode

if you beat trial mode you can start a new game in which you can't level up

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DoubleCakes posted:

Finished the Final Dungeon of Zodiac Age and this remaster was disappointing, I guess because it wasn't hard enough?

If you want JRPGs with even a faint veneer of difficulty, this is like the worst series to come to for that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

This is true.

Also if you want difficulty then just try weak mode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII is my favorite idle clicker game without irony.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Are you including Dissidia in this?

I can't believe the FF1 trilogy is Dissidia/FF1/Mobius.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dragonatrix posted:

If you want JRPGs with even a faint veneer of difficulty, this is like the worst series to come to for that.

FFIV DS is pretty good with balancing insane difficulty with broken poo poo.

It's on Steam too. The UI is RPG Maker tier like pretty much every FF on Steam but hey, it's there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

I see bushi/knight recommended a lot but it seems like a waste to essentially give up a slot for a greatsword user. Bushi/monk supremacy

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance looks pretty.

Honestly though this makes me want Earthbound but with Tactics style gameplay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I see bushi/knight recommended a lot but it seems like a waste to essentially give up a slot for a greatsword user. Bushi/monk supremacy

Bushi/Monk is also crazy good, but I like Bushi/Knight better because, even while you're going to be using katanas more than greatswords at any point, you're not going to find a better wielder for Excalibur. Plus, having heavy armor available for most of the game is great. (Also I'd honestly rather use katanas than greatswords anyway--that combo rate is magical, and the best one is even one-handed.)

I think the reason why Bushi/Knight is recommended more than Bushi/Monk, though, is because it's more "efficient" if you're using all 12 jobs. Bushi and Monk both have three Swiftness licenses, and because there are six jobs that can do that, people generally want to spread them out. That, and if you're not repeating jobs, Black Mage/Monk is really attractive, too.

That said, one nice thing about Bushi/Monk is that it doesn't double up on Genji Glove jobs, while Bushi/Knight does, so you can spread out the ability to use the Genji Glove across more characters. And Genji Glove + poles is pretty great.

It's sort of one of those things where, no matter what you do with jobs like Knight, Bushi, and Monk, you're always going to be missing out on another great combination. It says a lot about how crazy good those jobs are.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alright i've joined Clan Nutsy, how to I recruit new guys and get rid of all these losers?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Alright i've joined Clan Nutsy, how to I recruit new guys and get rid of all these losers?

One way involves kicking them out and using the recruit feature you get in like a mission or two i think and the other involves a Jagd and failing you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

I think it takes one or two missions for recruitment to unlock

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I went Bushi/Time mage, y'all can gently caress off.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Emron posted:

I'm sorry but you'll have to restart the game. You cannot proceed without breaking the game.

I think it takes one or two missions for recruitment to unlock

Bleh nooo I don't wanna use these chumps

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Can you rename the clan in 1? You can in 2 but it shamefully only allows like 7 letters or something so you can't do DIAMOND DOGS or whatever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Emron posted:

I did this too :yeah:

Or, I will once I unlock dual-classing.

Also the only thing I remember about FFTA is that I found out a way to kill the moogle leader guy because he annoyed me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

Ha-ha, but you see, it is we turbonerds who get the last laugh because that's actually a pretty great combination!

(no, really, heavy armor and time magick on a bushi is real good, you kinda can't go wrong with bushi)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Can you rename the clan in 1? You can in 2 but it shamefully only allows like 7 letters or something so you can't do DIAMOND DOGS or whatever.

It gave me the option to rename them but Nutsy is a pretty good name on it's own.

Do I need to worry about the placement of locations?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Yes, you can. I played it in high school and I'm sure I renamed it something shamefully "edgy."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

It gave me the option to rename them but Nutsy is a pretty good name on it's own.

Do I need to worry about the placement of locations?

Yes, when you fill all the spots around a location it gives you an item based on what you put down. It's dumb, obviously.

I remember that doing two pairs of locations was usually what gave you the best stuff so just try for that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yes, when you fill all the spots around a location it gives you an item based on what you put down. It's dumb, obviously.

I remember that doing two pairs of locations was usually what gave you the best stuff so just try for that.

This game has weird little things here and there. The judge system is kinda dumb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The law system is my least favorite part of FFTA. I remember it was less annoying in FFTA2 but I didn't play too much of that one so I could be wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The law system is why I can't stand the two Advance games, though it's better in the second one at least.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In 2 you pick a bonus at the start of the fight like 'everyone has regen' or 'more exp earned' or whatever and if you break a law you just don't get that bonus anymore for the rest of that fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's right. That's much better than FFTA's version.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Should I just play the second one with giant pizza cutter boy?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ffta1 is good, just remember to check the laws before you enter a fight

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Golden Goat posted:

Should I just play the second one with giant pizza cutter boy?

FFTA2 is better than FFTA1 by almost any metric I can think of, so sure go ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I remember FFTA2 having its own annoyances, like the bazaar system. Learning abilities from equipment is fine (like in FFIX). Unlocking equipment in stores by selling item drops, fine. But having to rely on both can be really frustrating, especially when unlocking jobs requires learning a certain number of abilities, and tracking down the items to unlock the equipment that lets you learn those abilities was a huge pain. It's why I stopped playing, at least. Maybe I was missing something that made it easier/more reliable, though.