Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Here's an archived thread I've had bookmarked for a while that goes through the process of building an outdoor pizza oven step-by-step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spog posted:

HAVE I JUST SPENT TWO BLOODY NIGHTS SEASONING AND DESEASONING A BLOODY ENAMELLED PAN??????

post pics, it may not be ruined.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

paraquat posted:

Made a trip to a large "toko" (ethnic store) and whenever I do that, I've made it a habit to buy at least one thing that I've never tried before.

To make a long story short, at this moment I'm the proud owner of a can of mock duck.

Now what?

It's also known as seitan (say- tahhn, but if you want to feel badass I suppose you can tell people you're eating satan). I've never bought it before, only made it, and I usually make hot dogs or breakfast sausages.

That being said, are your goals to highlight the taste somehow or just eat the thing in some manner? If it's the latter, you can make stroganoff or spaghetti and slice it up for the meat.

If it's the former, since I always spice mine while making it according to what I'm going to use it for I don't have much personal advice, but this site seems to have a good seitan section: http://pickyvegan.com/all-about-seitan/

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CrazySalamander posted:

It's also known as seitan (say- tahhn, but if you want to feel badass I suppose you can tell people you're eating satan). I've never bought it before, only made it, and I usually make hot dogs or breakfast sausages.

That being said, are your goals to highlight the taste somehow or just eat the thing in some manner? If it's the latter, you can make stroganoff or spaghetti and slice it up for the meat.

If it's the former, since I always spice mine while making it according to what I'm going to use it for I don't have much personal advice, but this site seems to have a good seitan section: http://pickyvegan.com/all-about-seitan/

Thank you!!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
for simple steak sandwiches, what cut of meat should I go with? obviously nothing expensive but I ain't got no sense of meats. it wouldn't be a philly but rather a single cut of meat fried and put between bread with Heinz 57

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Capsaicin posted:

for simple steak sandwiches, what cut of meat should I go with? obviously nothing expensive but I ain't got no sense of meats. it wouldn't be a philly but rather a single cut of meat fried and put between bread with Heinz 57

A lot of stores butcher counters will have thin sliced beef already cut or may cut it if you ask if you want something on the Philly side. Meijer if you are in the mid-west has it at all the stores by me.

Also season your meat well, add cheese and onions and leave that Heinz 57 crap to the kids.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

If you want it to be a big slab of meat in between two pieces of bread you need something that can be torn apart with the teeth, which is going to limit you to relatively expensive cuts like NY strip or ribeye. If you're willing to cut it into half-inch strips after cooking, flank or skirt would work well. If you have access to an immersion circulator, then some chuck roast cut into a steak-like portion works great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Capsaicin posted:

As others have said the meat needs to be tender enough to chew which limits you to more expensive cuts. You could try something cheap and tough and tenderize it very thoroughly but in my experience that does not actually end up working well unless you also use actual tenderizing agents, I like grated onion for that but there are powdered tenderizers you could try.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The other way to handle a cheap cut of beef would be to grind it up, or buy pre-ground, form it into a patty, and then sear that. Cheap, easy, tastes great, and even goes well with ketchup, even if it isn't technically a sandwich.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sir Kodiak posted:

The other way to handle a cheap cut of beef would be to grind it up, or buy pre-ground, form it into a patty, and then sear that. Cheap, easy, tastes great, and even goes well with ketchup, even if it isn't technically a sandwich.

I do that sometimes, I like mine with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Then top with ketchup AND mustard.

In all honesty, for cheesesteak, you want a mid-grade steak cut Top Round or Rump. Marinate it in crushed onion and whatever spices you might desire in the final product (my go-to is a splash each of Wostershire, soy sauce, and whatever vinaigrette is hanging out in the fridge). Marinate for at least 4 hours preferably overnight, remove from marinade and pat dry. Toss a bit of pepper on there. Grill whole to medium rare, let rest for 20 minutes, slice steak with a very sharp knife, very thin, against the grain. Apply to long crusty roll of your preference, top with grilled peppers and onions and cheese sauce.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 20, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone know of a good source of slightly-modified variants of old standards?

Through experimentation I've discovered stuff like:

1. Cornbread can get really nice if you use bacon grease for the shortening and replace the sugar with honey
2. Exciting mashed potatoes: add like half a wheel of brie and a generous amount of wasabi powder

that kind of thing. And literally that much detail, I don't need any more than that to go on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Every generic 'fusion' menu since the late 1990's?

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Anyone know of a good source of slightly-modified variants of old standards?

Through experimentation I've discovered stuff like:

1. Cornbread can get really nice if you use bacon grease for the shortening and replace the sugar with honey
2. Exciting mashed potatoes: add like half a wheel of brie and a generous amount of wasabi powder

that kind of thing. And literally that much detail, I don't need any more than that to go on.

Also just making do with whatever you have in the kitchen. You will pick up plenty of modifications on your own as you cook over the years.

Side note, dumping brie and wasabi into mashed potatoes sounds...absolutely disgusting. Keep trying.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Honey, I've got a good idea, why not ask goons to I.D. these mulchpile mushrooms before you fire up the flamethrower? Hell, they may be delicacy, they may be writhing deathrooms.

edit- I hope this it the ok thread for this, I couldn't find a dedicated mushroom thread ty

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Mr. Mambold posted:

Honey, I've got a good idea, why not ask goons to I.D. these mulchpile mushrooms before you fire up the flamethrower? Hell, they may be delicacy, they may be writhing deathrooms.

Only one way to find out...give one to your neighbor

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Those are deathshrooms

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

B-b-but they're so cute.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, I don't know where you live, and mushroom identification is highly dependent on geography. I hunt them pretty regularly, but I don't recognize those (probably because they're from a far off mystical place like the East Coast or something), and they don't look off hand like any normal edible varieties.

The thing is, even non-edible mushrooms might not kill you - they might just make you really really sick. They might make your mouth swell. They might make you hallucinate. They might make your liver shut down. While delicious, mushrooms are not something to be hosed with, and you should never eat an unfamiliar mushroom unless you're given the okay by a LOCAL guide.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Nvm just saw the hot sauce thread.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 21, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yep. Absolutely never gently caress with wild mushrooms unless you are very, very familiar with what grows in your area. I'm pretty certain those are inedible.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, I don't know where you live, and mushroom identification is highly dependent on geography. I hunt them pretty regularly, but I don't recognize those (probably because they're from a far off mystical place like the East Coast or something), and they don't look off hand like any normal edible varieties.

The thing is, even non-edible mushrooms might not kill you - they might just make you really really sick. They might make your mouth swell. They might make you hallucinate. They might make your liver shut down. While delicious, mushrooms are not something to be hosed with, and you should never eat an unfamiliar mushroom unless you're given the okay by a LOCAL guide.

poop dood posted:

Yep. Absolutely never gently caress with wild mushrooms unless you are very, very familiar with what grows in your area. I'm pretty certain those are inedible.

I live in Oklahoma, so all that might be preferable?

jk, about the deathwish. My wife has probably destroyed them by now. Funny thing is, that mulchpile also starts avocados regularly, which are really difficult for me to get started otherwise.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Trastion posted:

Go find some Geese and mock them too, they are assholes.

For some actual content: This might not be the right place for this but I wasn't quite sure where to ask it. Has anyone built their own Outdoor Pizza Oven? I have been thinking about building this one here for a couple years now. I have a good pallet to use already but haven't gotten around to buying the rest of the materials. Just wondering if anyone has done one and has a better instructions or anything.

My house has no AC so being able to cook pizzas and stuff outside during the summer (and even winter) would be great.

I've tried desperately but can't find it, maybe someone else has a link. There was a Reddit post a month or so ago about a DIY build of their pizza oven, then like a week later had an update about how it caught fire overnight and nearly burned their house down.

So uhhhhh, don't do what that guy did.

e: this isn't meant to scare you or anything, I'm pretty sure that guy just did something retarded in the process.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

edit- I hope this it the ok thread for this, I couldn't find a dedicated mushroom thread ty

Hard to tell from the angle, and definitely seconding everyone else's recs to not eat a thing unless a local expert signs off on it, but I can't tell specific species but the definitely look like an amanita variety, and while like 2 species of amanita are edible, the rest are like lol u gon die level toxic. So yeah, I'd skip it.

for future reference, anyone who would ID something like this from you would also want to see the underside (gills, pores, etc) and the stem (to see how the cap terminates.) They might also want a spore print (cut the shroom, put on white paper for a few hours, take a picture of the spore pattern and color), and specific location found. Again, still huge caveat that a local expert is still the best.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I want to buy powdered ingredients.

Specifically, powder for soy milk. I know it exists, because it's really common in China, though I'd prefer not importing it from there for obvious reasons. You pour (hot?) water over it, and you get soy milk which is pretty tasty. I don't care if it has some sugar or starch or w/e in it for preservation, but I don't want it to be extremely flavourful because I might use it for a variety of things.

Googling / looking around only gets me protein powders and "instant tea" powders that contain soy milk. Does anybody know where I could get the pure stuff?

The other thing I'd like is tomato sauce base. Basically tomato powder like in the sauce powder packs, but without the extremely high salt content and with no other flavours added. Essentially tomato paste in powder form. I have no idea if this is available anywhere.

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 22, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

pidan posted:

I want to buy powdered ingredients.

Specifically, powder for soy milk. I know it exists, because it's really common in China, though I'd prefer not importing it from there for obvious reasons. You pour (hot?) water over it, and you get soy milk which is pretty tasty. I don't care if it has some sugar or starch or w/e in it for preservation, but I don't want it to be extremely flavourful because I might use it for a variety of things.

Googling / looking around only gets me protein powders and "instant tea" powders that contain soy milk. Does anybody know where I could get the pure stuff?

The other thing I'd like is tomato sauce base. Basically tomato powder like in the sauce powder packs, but without the extremely high salt content and with no other flavours added. Essentially tomato paste in powder form. I have no idea if this is available anywhere.

I just googled "Powdered soy milk" and got this right at the top. Googling "Powdered Tomato Concentrate" yields this as the fourth result.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is this to make your Soylent taste better?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Is this to make your Soylent taste better?

yes

I mean, the soy milk covers the soy part, and the tomato powder will probably get used in lentil curries, so literally yes.

Thanks for the links! I've been able to find some similar things as well, either this became more common since I last searched online or I used the wrong search terms.

pidan fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 23, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am going camping next weekend, and the kids have asked to make smores. Only problem is, in the UK we don't really have Graham crackers: it looks like digestives are a reasonable approximation, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

We will be using chocolate that doesn't taste like vomit, so it needn't be authentic.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Chocolate digestives for extra goodness!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Scientastic posted:

I am going camping next weekend, and the kids have asked to make smores. Only problem is, in the UK we don't really have Graham crackers: it looks like digestives are a reasonable approximation, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

We will be using chocolate that doesn't taste like vomit, so it needn't be authentic.

Does anyone know why Hershey's chocolate tastes like vomit anyway?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Does anyone know why Hershey's chocolate tastes like vomit anyway?

Emulating supply chain issues Hershey had when they were young. Most of their milk was spoiled but they used it anyway. People balked when they fixed the problem so now they add things to give it that rotten milk/vomit taste. This may well be an urban legend but they do add butyric acid, which is a significant component of vomit and rancid butter.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 23, 2017

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dis astranagant posted:

Emulating supply chain issues Hershey had when they were young. Most of their milk was spoiled but they used it anyway. People balked when they fixed the problem so now they add things to give it that rotten milk/vomit taste. This may well be an urban legend but they do add butyric acid, which is a significant component of vomit and rancid butter.

Butyric acid is produced when chocolate companies put their milk through a process called lipolysis to break down fatty acids in the milk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Suspect Bucket posted:

post pics, it may not be ruined.

It's actually in perfect condition: just covered in a glaze of burnt cooking oil

I've been using a plastic brush, hot water and washing up liquid to scrub it off - but it takes bloody ages.

Any shortcuts? Were it plain metal, I'd use wire wool and have it off in a jiffy, but I don't want to damage the enamel

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Good brand for canned fava beans? Or peeled dried favas?

Peeling each individual fava bean is a pain in the rear end, especially when I'm making something as simple as fuul madaames. I don't mind the flavor and texture, so I usually just leave the skins on. My wife hates the skins and won't eat them with the skins on.

So I'm going to buy (please don't hit me) canned fava beans. I just need beans that are cooked and peeled with no spices. Amazon has this deal on Progresso fava beans, 24 cans for $44. It sounds like a good deal. Your thoughts?

Or scratch all the above and give me an easier way to soften the fava skins.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bagheera posted:

Good brand for canned fava beans? Or peeled dried favas?

Peeling each individual fava bean is a pain in the rear end, especially when I'm making something as simple as fuul madaames. I don't mind the flavor and texture, so I usually just leave the skins on. My wife hates the skins and won't eat them with the skins on.

So I'm going to buy (please don't hit me) canned fava beans. I just need beans that are cooked and peeled with no spices. Amazon has this deal on Progresso fava beans, 24 cans for $44. It sounds like a good deal. Your thoughts?

Or scratch all the above and give me an easier way to soften the fava skins.

The halal and Mexican markets around here sell dry shelled & split favas for like $0.40/lb :shrug:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Digestives are probably too crumbly. Ginger snaps maybe?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Don't your grocery stores have little international sections where you can buy stuff like peanut butter and American candy? I would look for graham crackers there. I don't think anything else will get you the right flavor.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hullo. I have a request for something I've not been able to find in the various OPs and wikis and such.

Are there any books you'd recommend which focus on, well, I'd call it the science of cooking but that's not strictly true because I'm less interested in America's Test Kitchen style "we washing quinoa four ways and did a double-blind study on bitterness" so much as a focus on the mechanisms of taste, heat, gluten, protein breakdown, that sort of thing.

I can follow a recipe just fine but I always get more out of something if I can understand the fundamental systems underpinning it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Anne Whateley posted:

Don't your grocery stores have little international sections where you can buy stuff like peanut butter and American candy? I would look for graham crackers there. I don't think anything else will get you the right flavor.

We do increasingly, but they're hard to find outside of big cities and the products are horrendously expensive. I'm sure I've seen Lucky Charms selling for over £5 a box.

I just saw something that recommended Rich Teas? But they are the shittest biscuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hullo. I have a request for something I've not been able to find in the various OPs and wikis and such.

Are there any books you'd recommend which focus on, well, I'd call it the science of cooking but that's not strictly true because I'm less interested in America's Test Kitchen style "we washing quinoa four ways and did a double-blind study on bitterness" so much as a focus on the mechanisms of taste, heat, gluten, protein breakdown, that sort of thing.

I can follow a recipe just fine but I always get more out of something if I can understand the fundamental systems underpinning it.

Harold McGee’s On Food and Cooking is pretty much the bible on the subject.