Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EVIL/SANADA getting real loving good :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okada/Yano was a hell of a lot of fun, though I'm sad they didn't do a spot where Yano tried to yank the turnbuckle pad off and discovered Okada had tied it back up.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Omega's theme still gives me goosebumps every time. Best theme.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Minoru Suzuki wrestles like Randy Orton thinks he wrestles, so loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Best use of Fale I've ever seen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tomorrow's show is at the same venue and time (5:30 EDT/10:30 BST)

G1 Climax Night 3
July 21st at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. L.I.J (EVIL and Hiromu)
Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Taichi) vs. L.I.J (SANADA and BUSHI)
Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Yujiro) vs. Bullet Club (Tama Tonga and Chase Owens)
TenCozy and Michael Elgin vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Toru Yano, and Gedo)
G1 Climax A Block Match:Yuji Nagata [0] vs. Hirooki Goto [2]
G1 Climax A Block Match:Togi Makabe[0] vs. Tomohiro Ishii [0]
G1 Climax A Block Match:Kota Ibushi [0] vs. Zack Sabre Jr [2]
G1 Climax A Block Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi [0] vs. Bad Luck Fale [2]
G1 Climax A Block Match:YOSHI-HASHI [2] vs. Tetsuya Naito [2]

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I love Naito. I love YOSHI-HASHI.

Why must they make me choose?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
:Kota Ibushi [0] vs. Zack Sabre Jr [2]

The CWC Never Dies

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I think this was the most impressed I've been with Sanada since he joined NJPW. I don't dislike him, but I don't seem to see the potential that a lot of other people seem to see in him. EVIL was amazing, though, and I hope he keeps improving until he becomes a big star.
It's also amazing to think that I'm actually looking forward to a YOSHI-HASHI/Naito match, since these two were some of the least interesting guys in the company when I started watching.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I don't get how anyone can be mad about anything in the main. The crowd was rabid for everything, and the pop for the bit in the middle that is getting all the criticism was great.

It's over with the crowd, then it did it's job.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
YOSHI-HASHI gets to main event? Good for him!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

yoshi-hashi korakuen main events are always good but will he win for once

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am watching last night's show because the 230 am start times are too rough for me

toru yano is a joy

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Frankston posted:

Omega's theme still gives me goosebumps every time. Best theme.

This reminds me, question: Is the choir in Devil's Sky actually ominously singing "Kenny, Kenny," or do I just hear it that way because I really hope they are?

Kaze ni Nare is an incredible theme too. I love how the whole crowd always goes in on singing the title.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Johnny Landmine posted:

This reminds me, question: Is the choir in Devil's Sky actually ominously singing "Kenny, Kenny," or do I just hear it that way because I really hope they are?

Kaze ni Nare is an incredible theme too. I love how the whole crowd always goes in on singing the title.

I'm in the Kaze ni Nare boat

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Skinty McEdger posted:

I don't get how anyone can be mad about anything in the main. The crowd was rabid for everything, and the pop for the bit in the middle that is getting all the criticism was great.

It's over with the crowd, then it did it's job.

people are mad at that? it's day two of the g1 calm down

plus i kinda marked out when red shoes ate that v trigger so I was into it anyway

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I was under the impression only Jim Cornette was mad about it* and like, that doesn't count, right?

*I don't know if he's said anything about it specifically but he did actually tweet likening Kenny's wrestling to Hitler's painting not long afterwards

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Cornettes still mad about the 9-year old and blowup doll matches

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Some of the purists are annoyed that it was too "Americanised," which is weird as it reminded me a lot of the AJ/Suzuki match that had a very similar structure to it and the same breakdown in the middle but didn't get the same criticisms.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Some of the purists are annoyed that it was too "Americanised," which is weird as it reminded me a lot of the AJ/Suzuki match that had a very similar structure to it and the same breakdown in the middle but didn't get the same criticisms.

I wouldn't call it Americanized at all, and I really dug the match. I just felt the run-in/brawl, while a lot of fun and super-over with the crowd, disrupted the flow of the match a bit.

As far as run-ins go, the best has to be Suzuki-Gun's return at the start of this year. The way they all came in and took out Okada's crew, then Okada starts valiantly fighting back but the whole time Suzuki is just sauntering down to the ring with complete confidence before taking Okada out was loving incredible.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Why did I wait until this year to watch NJPW? So glad I've been enlightened... :allears:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This is my first time watching the G1 and I'm already really pleased subbing to world for it.

I really can't overstate how much I loved Kenny not being able to look Minoru in the eye at the beginning of the match.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Why did I wait until this year to watch NJPW? So glad I've been enlightened... :allears:

You and me both. NJ World is well worth the investment, I'm loving the tournament. Wishing I had started following it earlier.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kenny's build up of fear and not looking Suzuki in the eye just made the match and the crowd was super hot so I liked the main.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Bankok posted:

You and me both. NJ World is well worth the investment, I'm loving the tournament. Wishing I had started following it earlier.

I live in Osaka and I started following it just in time for Dominion tickets to sell out :smith:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

I live in Osaka and I started following it just in time for Dominion tickets to sell out :smith:

you might be able to get tickets to see Kenny/Juice in the G1 though

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I definitely would, but unfortunately I'm going to be visiting home in the States then. I think Destruction in Kobe is going to end up being my first live NJPW experience.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tournament section of Night 3 is now starting, Nagata vs Goto :neckbeard:

Edit: Jesus Christ that was good.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 21, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Goto is great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving hell Nagata can still go, that was a really drat good match.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ibushi and zsj had an incredibly good match together. it's as good as it should have been.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Fale can't even beat a one armed man smh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

ibushi and zsj had an incredibly good match together. it's as good as it should have been.

And Tanahashi/Fale was about what I expected. Cool ending though.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
:stare: Did I just witness a count-out in New Japan?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That's the first time I've seen a countout in njpw

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ThePariah posted:

:stare: Did I just witness a count-out in New Japan?

There's always a few in the G1/BOSJ so I don't know what to tell you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

That's the first time I've seen a countout in nipw

I think they had another one just a few weeks ago? They are very rare though and it's always cool to make the viewer realize "Oh poo poo this COULD end on a count-out" after they've perfected the 19.9999999 roll-in.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I think they had another one just a few weeks ago? They are very rare though and it's always cool to make the viewer realize "Oh poo poo this COULD end on a count-out" after they've perfected the 19.9999999 roll-in.

Red Shoes hosed it up on G1 special day 1

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

There's always a few in the G1/BOSJ so I don't know what to tell you

I don't follow BOSJ, and I don't remember a count-out from the last few G1s. Though I do stop watching the non-great tournament matches after a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
they did a countout in the BOSJ for a nothing match (I think it was Taka vs. Taichi).

this one made a lot more sense. Tana couldn't beat him in the ring because of the injury.

• Locked thread