Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Why are all these lawyers resigning?

typically when lawyers resign in criminal cases it's because they 1) know the client is guilty and 2) the client is requiring that they lie to the court and/or allow the client to lie to the court.

This isn't a typical case though so it could just be that trump won't follow their advice and won't pay so why bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antti posted:

The President can just rewrite the DOJ regulation so that Mueller is directly responsible to him and then he can fire Mueller.

Can you imagine the president writing anything longer than 140 characters, much less a federal regulation

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm expecting a big day in tweets today, should be the usual insanity, plus maybe a nice fresh scandal for the weekend

Imagine how poorly he must be sleeping.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This isn't a typical case though so it could just be that trump won't follow their advice and won't pay so why bother

But think of the exposure!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I am starting to think Trump is so dumb he can find a way to turn Republicans in Congress against him in bulk before his term is up. He's a Republican who turned the FBI, CIA and DoD against him in no time flat, which is normally not remotely possible.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

The Trump Train haven't brakes.

America is LV in this timeline.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Can you imagine the president writing anything longer than 140 characters, much less a federal regulation

Twitter merely constrains him. Granted, it would be painfully repetitive, with the odds of self-contradiction approaching 100% at approximately 900 characters, but I could see him blathering on for a while.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Are you saying Great Leader didn't write these by his own hand?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Imagine how poorly he must be sleeping.

Trump has obstructive sleep apnea guaranteed on top of all of the investigation stress.

There is no loving way he does not have sleep apnea especially with how fat he is, how thick and fat his neck is, and how recessed his jaw is. No one can be that fat and breathe normally during sleep. Also, his mouth at rest only takes up about 20-30% of the width of his face (normal width would be about 50%) which suggests he has a small, high arched palate further crowding his airway.

If it's any consolation, Trump is literally choking on his own secretions at night due to excess neck/ throat fat that is just obstructing his airway. Maybe he wears a CPAP, but if he doesn't, then it would be a really good explanation for his spotty cognition, need to take all of these frequent vacations, and reports of him just randomly lying down in a chair in the afternoon just watching the news.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was thinking about it earlier, and if Trump does decide to pardon himself that's treated as an admission of guilt, right? So if he does decide to pardon himself he would have to be removed from office immediately, since he's openly signaled that he's guilty of said crime, and once out of office he can be tried for basically everything he did in office, including pardoning himself because I'm pretty sure that falls under obstruction of Justice.

I'm not a lawyer or a constitutional scholar though. :v:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

I was thinking about it earlier, and if Trump does decide to pardon himself that's treated as an admission of guilt, right? So if he does decide to pardon himself he would have to be removed from office immediately, since he's openly signaled that he's guilty of said crime, and once out of office he can be tried for basically everything he did in office, including pardoning himself because I'm pretty sure that falls under obstruction of Justice.

It's not a law or a hard and fast rule because this has only come close to happening once in the history of the United States. A rational government would impeach him for it. This is not rational government.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Grapplejack posted:

That's why I keep harping that the only remedies are political. So what if it's an admission of guilt? It still requires Congress to act on that admission. The accepted wisdom has been that no President would pardon himself or his cronies because it would be politically disastrous, affirmed by what happened to Ford who didn't even pardon himself, but his predecessor. (It's not an open and shut case that the pardon was what ultimately lost him re-election. And then there's Scooter Libby but I don't think final year GWB is a good example of enjoying a political advantage, and I think that was a commutation, like Chelsea Manning.)

We might get to see if the political toxicity of the self-serving pardon is actually true.

The only upside I've read about the pardon poo poo is that if you accept the pardon it wipes your 5A shield to not make self-incriminating statements on the crime you were pardoned for, so the pardoned people could be subpoena'd and be forced under oath to explain what happened, but it doesn't matter if Congress won't act on it, or perjury is not followed up on.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 21, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Kurzon posted:

The GOP doesn't like Trump, but he won the election so they have to pay him lip service, because loyalty and conformity are big virtues for the kind of people who vote Republican. When Trump's supporters desert him, it will dramatic and sudden; this kind of people loves to do everything as a group. Mike Pence will then take over, so the Republican control of the Executive Branch is not in jeopardy. Looking back at Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton, impeaching or threatening impeachment does not hurt the President's party. Nixon's ouster did not damage the Republicans, Bill Clinton's disgrace did not damage the Democrats (they won the Congressional elections while he was being tried by the Senate). So I'd say the Republicans' support for Trump is more fragile than it looks. Newt Gingrich is debasing himself defending Trump but his career is near its end anyway.

How are there still people who think the Clinton impeachment "didn't work" or "blew up in their face" or whatever? You can draw a straight line from the whole affair rendering him politically inert in his second term, to Al Gore not walking away with the Presidency and Hillary Clinton being 0 for 2 in elections where she started ahead. Yea, they didn't remove him from office and it didn't get them a Congressional electoral wave, but it sure did get them pretty much everything else they could want. They got to replace Rehnquist and O'Connor, they got their wars, they got their tax cuts, and they got their 8 year suspension of antitrust enforcement.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kurzon posted:

The GOP doesn't like Trump, but he won the election so they have to pay him lip service, because loyalty and conformity are big virtues for the kind of people who vote Republican. When Trump's supporters desert him, it will dramatic and sudden; this kind of people loves to do everything as a group. Mike Pence will then take over, so the Republican control of the Executive Branch is not in jeopardy. Looking back at Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton, impeaching or threatening impeachment does not hurt the President's party. Nixon's ouster did not damage the Republicans, Bill Clinton's disgrace did not damage the Democrats (they won the Congressional elections while he was being tried by the Senate). So I'd say the Republicans' support for Trump is more fragile than it looks. Newt Gingrich is debasing himself defending Trump but his career is near its end anyway.

Didn't this basically happen in South Korea? Where this obviously corrupt politician had tons of old person conservative support that was basically unbreakable but then suddenly it just evaporated because the straw broke the back? I think Trump will eventually have that moment but it won't be until he actually makes the lives of his base worse in a tangible way (right now he's a joke that is making us a laughing stock but to his voters they misconstrue that sort of thing as manly strength) or everyone just suddenly collectively decides they always hated him. I think the GOP has a lot more to lose tying themselves to an obvious (that's the important part since it removes plausible deniability or the illusion that if you are bad but in a Respectable way like Bush or McCain it's totally fine) traitorous criminal. You know right now the party heads are trying to figure out how devoted their cultists are and if they would forgive a Trump betrayal (they totally would but the GOP is too cowardly to take the risk)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My friends run a school for puppies and I'm tired of waiting to page snipe.

TheScott2K posted:

Hillary Clinton being 0 for 2 in elections where she started ahead.

If this is included you've got to add in the SCOTUS seat too. :smithicide:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TheScott2K posted:

How are there still people who think the Clinton impeachment "didn't work" or "blew up in their face" or whatever? You can draw a straight line from the whole affair rendering him politically inert in his second term, to Al Gore not walking away with the Presidency and Hillary Clinton being 0 for 2 in elections where she started ahead. Yea, they didn't remove him from office and it didn't get them a Congressional electoral wave, but it sure did get them pretty much everything else they could want. They got to replace Rehnquist and O'Connor, they got their wars, they got their tax cuts, and they got their 8 year suspension of antitrust enforcement.

Hillary didn't lose twice cause of the impeachment. She lost twice cause she refused to campaign appropriately twice in a row

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Christ... if you're going to pick someone fighting to liberate his home to label an Islamic terrorist, maybe don't invite the Saladin comparisons?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Also I stubbed my toe getting out of bed

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Christ... if you're going to pick someone fighting to liberate his home to label an Islamic terrorist, maybe don't invite the Saladin comparisons?

Is this the region that is completely surrounded by Pakistan?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why do I feel like I am taking crazy pills?

Why do I feel like it seems that almost every Republican senator is connected to loving Russia in some way? It makes me feel like a crazy conspiracy person and I don't like it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think it's that crazy to assume that a lot of dark Russian money ended up funding Tea Party groups as those people are all blatantly unethical (and it fits with Russia trying to destabilize countries by propping up fascist groups) and that money reached some sitting politicians. They might not have even known about the origin of the funding but are now sweating anyone looking into the matter.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Why do I feel like it seems that almost every Republican senator is connected to loving Russia in some way? It makes me feel like a crazy conspiracy person and I don't like it.

I think what separates this from actual conspiracy types is that you don't treat your conspiracy theory as an axiom

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Remember, Presidential pardons get a lot of flack even when they don’t look sketchy as gently caress. That’s why Presidents do it as they’re walking out the door.

This isn’t a normal government so all bets are off, but a President pardoning his family members should activate that part of our lizard brains that believes in American Exceptionalism. Trump, being Trump, might get away with it, but I’d bet money that he’d crash the 30% approval floor overnight.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

hanales posted:

No, it's kind of the bell end of Pakistan and is surrounded by India

e my wording should not be considered an endorsement of either power to lay claim to Jammu and Kashmir

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

I think you will find that several congresspeople have had the death sentence passed and will be executed for espiotreasonage

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Radish posted:

I don't think it's that crazy to assume that a lot of dark Russian money ended up funding Tea Party groups as those people are all blatantly unethical (and it fits with Russia trying to destabilize countries by propping up fascist groups) and that money reached some sitting politicians. They might not have even known about the origin of the funding but are now sweating anyone looking into the matter.

Mitch McConnell knows exactly where the money comes from for Senate Leadership Fund and the One Nation dark-PAC. At least in the case of SLF, it's right there in the FEC filings.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

Thank you I misremembered. I read a story about it a few years ago clearly I got the details mixed up.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Lets do this coffee derail.

Anyone that uses some sort of pod coffee maker is trash.

Screw you. You will pry my pod based espresso (which by the way is the ONLY way to drink coffee) from my cold dead hands. It is one of my few remaining joys in life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Coffee is for goobers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I bought a chemex. It's alright.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm sure Russia has had their money in politics for a long time cause all those rich assholes get money from investors all over the world. Just that now we have a big dumbass cheeto man that can't keep his mouth shut.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Trump had lost no one would give a poo poo about Russia and the Republicans could continue doing whatever and screaming about Clinton. Now that Trump can't stop making it obvious he's on their payroll it's making things inconvenient.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Radish posted:

If Trump had lost no one would give a poo poo about Russia and the Republicans could continue doing whatever and screaming about Clinton. Now that Trump can't stop making it obvious he's on their payroll it's making things inconvenient.

Did you see 538's article about what would happen in a parallel universe where Clinton won? It was interesting and also infuriating that it's probably right

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

e my wording should not be considered an endorsement of either power to lay claim to Jammu and Kashmir

Don't forget that China also claims Kashmir, so it's a fun three sided situation.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hanales posted:

I may be wrong, but I don't think India and Pakistan have any enclaves.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don't like that the Japanese First Lady thing is getting reported as "she pretended" and not "trump just saw an Asian woman and declared she could only speak Ching Chong"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This guys an attorney and has a good tweet thread about Trump pardoning himself

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/888237971278888960

Tweet threads are still a loving awful format though so the tl;dr is that SCOTUS, even a right leaning SCOTUS, would never go along with the idea that it's legal for a president to do that. In addition, pardoning people already named as potential co-conspirators with you would likely also fall under the same umbrella, since you are effectively pardoning yourself.

But the nature of Muellers investigation means these people won't be named for months, until he's wrapping up his final report. In which case, if trumps team are thinking pardons the goal is likely to start pardoning asap BEFORE these people can be named as co conspirators with Trump. Which is obviously shady as hell but republicans have already been demonstrated to be able to turn a blind eye to obstruction of justice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sean10mm posted:

I am starting to think Trump is so dumb he can find a way to turn Republicans in Congress against him in bulk before his term is up. He's a Republican who turned the FBI, CIA and DoD against him in no time flat, which is normally not remotely possible.

The only way he can turn Republicans in congress against him is to turn Republican voters against him. I don't think he can do that.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

I may be wrong, but I don't think India and Pakistan have any enclaves.

India and Bangladesh have some sort of enclaves-within-enclaves going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

massive spider posted:

This guys an attorney and has a good tweet thread about Trump pardoning himself

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/888237971278888960

Tweet threads are still a loving awful format though so the tl;dr is that SCOTUS, even a right leaning SCOTUS, would never go along with the idea that it's legal for a president to do that. In addition, pardoning people already named as potential co-conspirators with you would likely also fall under the same umbrella, since you are effectively pardoning yourself.

But the nature of Muellers investigation means these people won't be named for months, until he's wrapping up his final report. In which case, if trumps team are thinking pardons the goal is likely to start pardoning asap BEFORE these people can be named as co conspirators with Trump. Which is obviously shady as hell but republicans have already been demonstrated to be able to turn a blind eye to obstruction of justice.

I hate the tweet string, but wouldn't pardoning his co-conspirators just make it so they had no choice but to testify against him?

• Locked thread