Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Oh, that should be fine then, didn't know what you had for structure under this. If I was at this point I'd probably just settle for adding a 1x something decorative rim board around the whole thing, would cover up that seam anyway and make it stand out a bit less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
In the process of remodling my kitchen and I am trying to reuse this old 6 foot stainless sink. Any guides or tips out there on how to safely remove it without damaging it? The sink is a Elkay lusterstone sink and would save me a lot of money if i can reuse it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Gardenator posted:

In the process of remodling my kitchen and I am trying to reuse this old 6 foot stainless sink. Any guides or tips out there on how to safely remove it without damaging it? The sink is a Elkay lusterstone sink and would save me a lot of money if i can reuse it.

Shut off the plumbing lines, etc. remove as many fixtures, pipes, etc as you can. The real come to Jesus moment will be when you go to detach whatever is holding it secure to the cabinet- You want several buddies to help lift it out.

edit- it looks like it's got a piece of metal trim holding it to the backsplash. You want to gently pry that loose

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Gardenator posted:

Yeah get your head up under there with a flashlight & have a good look-around. You'll probably find spring-loaded or screw-driven cleats securing it to the base cabinets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Don't be afraid to cut the kitchen off the sink basically.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Don't be afraid to cut the kitchen off the sink basically.

New thread title please, and what does this even mean?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Jigsaw/sawzall off things you intend to discard no matter what so that you can work on the sink as a standalone unit where it can't come crashing down.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Take a chainsaw to the kitchen until you're wrecked everything except the sink. Then scrape the bits of kitchen off the sink until the sink's clean.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Set the counter/cabinets on fire and after it's gone out you can retrieve the sink from the ashes, undamaged.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Fill the kitchen with expanding foam.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Omne posted:

That may be the only option. One neighbor is absentee, hes been cool with me trimming trees and stuff that come across the fence. The other refuses to speak about anything or get back to me, so I cut the trees anyway (took her 15 days to respond to a text message about it, which was 14 days after the work had been done).

I don't know where you live but in Maryland you have every right to trim anything coming over your property line without seeking permission.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

TheBananaKing posted:

I don't know where you live but in Maryland you have every right to trim anything coming over your property line without seeking permission.

this doesn't include humans anymore

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bozart posted:

this doesn't include humans anymore

well there's still florida

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've got to finish a small part of floor repair and last time I did this I ended up buying a few big sheets of 4'x8' plywood and OSB and had to get them trimmed down to fit in my car and to fit my projects because I felt safe with the words 'subfloor' all over the descriptions at the store.

Well, I only need small sheet for around/under a toilet and I see this: https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444431329769.htm

Is this in 3/4" going to be good for a subfloor repair or do I specifically need something that says intended or rated for subfloors?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've got to finish a small part of floor repair and last time I did this I ended up buying a few big sheets of 4'x8' plywood and OSB and had to get them trimmed down to fit in my car and to fit my projects because I felt safe with the words 'subfloor' all over the descriptions at the store.

Well, I only need small sheet for around/under a toilet and I see this: https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444431329769.htm

Is this in 3/4" going to be good for a subfloor repair or do I specifically need something that says intended or rated for subfloors?

Three-quarter-inch plywood is good for subfloor, yes.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Bought a house. Removing 30-40 year old wallpaper and prepping for paint. Across a built-in from the fireplace in an alcove, we found the OO installed cement board over drywall and blended it quite well with mud. Removed it and wall seems straight. Why would it have been there? Some heat retention around the fireplace?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Bought a house. Removing 30-40 year old wallpaper and prepping for paint. Across a built-in from the fireplace in an alcove, we found the OO installed cement board over drywall and blended it quite well with mud. Removed it and wall seems straight. Why would it have been there? Some heat retention around the fireplace?

They may have planned tiling it for an accent?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

H110Hawk posted:

Jigsaw/sawzall off things you intend to discard no matter what so that you can work on the sink as a standalone unit where it can't come crashing down.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Take a chainsaw to the kitchen until you're wrecked everything except the sink. Then scrape the bits of kitchen off the sink until the sink's clean.

These guys get it.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

How close to the fireplace?

quote:

Can James Hardie products be used around a masonry fireplace?
Yes, HardieBacker® 1/4" Cement Board is deemed noncombustible when tested to ASTM E 136 and can be used in conjunction with other noncombustible materials around a fireplace. This does not mean that clearances to combustible building materials can be reduced by using HardieBacker 1/4". Clearances to combustible building materials shall be obeyed even if they are protected by noncombustible materials, please refer to your local building and fire code for specific combustible clearance details around masonry fireplaces.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HycoCam posted:

i seem to remember a thing in london recently that involved the words "refer to local building code."

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'm looking at creating a semi-temporary narrow table, to make a better use of space near a doorway.

I'm probably looking at getting two answers to this, 1) dont do it, you moron and 2) if you really have to xyz.

I'm looking at using this as a base http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/worktops-worktops-accessories/hammarp-worktop-birch-art-80273794/ and cutting it to this sort of shape, squeezing on 3/4 chairs

My question is considering its a fairly thin piece of wood, how would I best go about fitting some legs *without* a downstand skirt/frame, so that a babies high chair can filly slide under.
Although the long flat edge will be against a wall, I wont want to be fitting it to/hanging it off the wall.

If I can slap on some ikea legs somehow with a bit of modification, then great. My concern is the thickness of the wood and the long narrow asymmetry of it.

I originally nearly went with this as a starting slap http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tables/dining-tables/%C3%B6vraryd-table-top-bamboo-art-90305723/ which would have been a more suitable starting size, but luckily spotted its a particle board centre rather than solid bamboo.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

kid sinister posted:

They may have planned tiling it for an accent?

Yeah, considering the design aesthetic, this actually makes sense. And there could have been a tile-wrapped firewood nook back before converting to gas and then they ripped out the tile and wallpapered. This is the best lead yet!

HycoCam posted:

About 3 to 4 feet from the side. If there is cement board around the fireplace itself, I'll never find out because I'm not touching it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

TheBananaKing posted:

It's the same here too (Tennessee). I've been cutting back vines since the day I moved in, too. For the trees, I wanted them to pay for trimming, since it's their trees and they lean pretty heavily over the fence; I've also tried getting the power company to do it, since the lines are going through the trees too but haven't had much luck there yet (they're supposed to maintain 10 feet of clearance on the lines and the power company pays for it, it's just a very long, multi-year wait for them to finally make it out).

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

These guys get it.

I would let the kudzu proliferate in the kitchen until it raises the sink to shoulder level. Then carry it out on your shoulders singing the theme song from Shrek

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

CharlieWhiskey posted:

before converting to gas
My money is on the cement board was there to meet code for the masonry fireplace. Being gas now, you should be ok.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Omne posted:

My loving jerkoff neighbors have allowed kudzu vines to grow rampant in their yards. I've been cutting them back whenever they creep through the fence, but I've noticed they have started making their way from tall trees over to my roofline. They're way too high up for me or my 18' ladder to reach. Any ideas other than pouring bleach or burning their yards to the ground? I don't want these vines destroying things up there.

If kudzu is a problem in your area and you live in a residential area, I'd bet you have building codes specifically addressing kudzu infestations. that would make the "correct" answer to your problem--call your municipal code enforcement office and register a complaint. They will send someone out with a badge to either ask your neighbor to take care of the problem or send a town maintenance crew with lots of experience removing kudzu.

With that said--the rural method for kudzu removal always works: glyphosate and triclopyr are the herbicides to look for. Find concentrates of both (https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Star-Triclopyr-Herbicide-Gallon/dp/B004S70RK4 https://www.amazon.com/Glyphosate-Plus-Herbicide-Surfactant-Gallon/dp/B004QPXY9Y) mix them up super strong. Use diesel fuel instead of water for the coup de grace. While your shopping on Amazon might as well pickup ninja suit--get a couple of ladders ready for a moonless night and spray the crap out of kudzu at the roots. Just don't get shot...

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

MeKeV posted:

I'm looking at creating a semi-temporary narrow table, to make a better use of space near a doorway.

I'm probably looking at getting two answers to this, 1) dont do it, you moron and 2) if you really have to xyz.

I'm looking at using this as a base http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/worktops-worktops-accessories/hammarp-worktop-birch-art-80273794/ and cutting it to this sort of shape, squeezing on 3/4 chairs

My question is considering its a fairly thin piece of wood, how would I best go about fitting some legs *without* a downstand skirt/frame, so that a babies high chair can filly slide under.
Although the long flat edge will be against a wall, I wont want to be fitting it to/hanging it off the wall.

If I can slap on some ikea legs somehow with a bit of modification, then great. My concern is the thickness of the wood and the long narrow asymmetry of it.
The apron boards on the table are as much to keep from the table from flexing in the middle as they are to support the legs/corner brackets. You can get legs of just about any length--30" (76cm) is typical table height in the States. Kitchen counters are 36" (91cm). And bar height is 42" (106cm). The simple answer would be to put longer legs on the table so the highchair will fit under the apron board.

But in a few years, you'll hate having a higher table. Your no-longer-needing-highchair kids will have a hard time getting into chairs/pulling the chairs up to a 36" table until they are 10yro. i.e. when your kids start sitting in chairs and feeding themselves--you'll want a 24" table. :) If you are going to use the table for meals frequently--my recommendation would be go for standard table height and keep your eyes peeled for a shorter highchair.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MeKeV posted:

What does that translate to from cm, about 6' x 20" x 1" thick? An inch thickness is not fairly thin at all, but that dimension is narrow like a bar top. It really doesnt lend itself to legs at all, so if you're deadset against attaching it to the wall, I'd say 1) What is Don't do this, you moron? for 400, Alex

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks.

The narrowness and wanting to get the high chair under is to get it in without worrying about the access for the nearby door.

I would prefer something a bit wider, and probably not as long, but Ive not found anything cheap that's solid. I don't fancy tidying up a curved cut edge on a ply type sheet.

A breakfast bar isn't far off what it would be, but I'd prefer it to be nearer typical table height.

Is this another bad idea? (Bask in the quality of the phone drawn diagram)

E: or longer straight legs, with an apron and then chop them down in a couple years!

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 20, 2017

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm borrrowing and trailering a Toro Timecutter 5060 (zero turn radius, 50" deck) to the new house. Where are the best places for ratchet straps on a Toro ztr to keep the mower safe and in place?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was musing about my workshop earlier today, and realized that when I framed the walls, I attached the studs to the (pressure-treated, rests on concrete) sole plate using bright-finish nails, not galvanized nails. As I understand it, those nails aren't gonna last; I'm guessing I should go around the workshop and toenail galvanized nails through the studs into the sole plate?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HycoCam posted:

With that said--the rural method for kudzu removal always works: glyphosate and triclopyr are the herbicides to look for. Find concentrates of both (https://www.amazon.com/Agri-Star-Triclopyr-Herbicide-Gallon/dp/B004S70RK4 https://www.amazon.com/Glyphosate-Plus-Herbicide-Surfactant-Gallon/dp/B004QPXY9Y) mix them up super strong. Use diesel fuel instead of water for the coup de grace. While your shopping on Amazon might as well pickup ninja suit--get a couple of ladders ready for a moonless night and spray the crap out of kudzu at the roots. Just don't get shot...

not to nitpick but if it's glyphosate you want it on leaves. or injected directly into the stem if it's not too woody for that to work.

the latter method works like a hot drat for nuisance blackberry bushes along fences or whatever, which is a thing here. day 3, that branch ain't lookin so good, day 7 it collapses under its own weight, day 14 it's dead as gently caress

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was musing about my workshop earlier today, and realized that when I framed the walls, I attached the studs to the (pressure-treated, rests on concrete) sole plate using bright-finish nails, not galvanized nails. As I understand it, those nails aren't gonna last; I'm guessing I should go around the workshop and toenail galvanized nails through the studs into the sole plate?

If it makes you feel better. Take you about 10 minutes with a 16 nailer. It's a great feeling, friend. Better than a gun at a gun range because you're actually doing something constructive with your bang-bang.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a finished loft attic, it gets really hot up there. My fall project is to get some A/C up there, but in the meantime, it has four of those KFC chicken heater BR30 recessed lamps. Those get ridiculously hot. I'd like to replace them with LEDs, but I'm curious if the LEDs are actually any cooler.

I have a Smartthings hub and Hue, but if possible I'd like to replace them with something automatically dimmable, maybe like a z-wave switch or smart bulbs. Also they'd have to be 2700k, since it's a bedroom right? I don't want it to be an operating theater.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a finished loft attic, it gets really hot up there. My fall project is to get some A/C up there, but in the meantime, it has four of those KFC chicken heater BR30 recessed lamps. Those get ridiculously hot. I'd like to replace them with LEDs, but I'm curious if the LEDs are actually any cooler.

I have a Smartthings hub and Hue, but if possible I'd like to replace them with something automatically dimmable, maybe like a z-wave switch or smart bulbs. Also they'd have to be 2700k, since it's a bedroom right? I don't want it to be an operating theater.

LEDs will put out tremendously less heat. I used to have two incandescent cans at my bathroom vanity and they felt like the outdoor sun. LEDs put out no noticeable heat in the same place.

Home Depot's pseudo house brand Ecosmart stuff has dimmed well with all of the Linear z-wave dimmers I've got, and they're cheap. I like the ones with integrated trim rings because they update the look of the whole fixture in one go. HD has been great about letting me return open packages of bulbs advertised as "dimmable" that end up flickering.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I'm borrrowing and trailering a Toro Timecutter 5060 (zero turn radius, 50" deck) to the new house. Where are the best places for ratchet straps on a Toro ztr to keep the mower safe and in place?

Just went and looked at mine. For the front, I'd use the arms where the front wheels attach, and for the back, either put the strap over each rear wheel or anywhere on the frame. You may also want to lower the deck so it doesn't bounce around.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We replaced all the recessed lights in our kitchen with Cree LED flood lights and no longer fry when standing directly below them (low ceilings).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cree LEDs all the way. They still get warm (as in you don't want to touch them barehanded while they're on), but nothing at all like incandescents.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a tiny shower+toilet bathroom, less than 10sqft. It has a humidity-sensing exhaust fan set to kick on above 80%RH. There's a damper on the fan and on the roof outlet, but neither are particularly air-tight. Lately as outdoor temps have risen, the fan has been cycling on and off constantly, even when the room is bone dry. My suspicion is that warm, moist air is leaking down the exhaust and triggering the fan.

The bathroom has an AC register that is way, way too large for such a small space, and its always much colder than the rest of the house. Am I correct in thinking that if I seal off that register to bring the bathroom a little closer to the temp of the rest of the house, then warm air from outdoors will have less of an effect on the RH humidity reading at the fan? Relative humidity is a mystery to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The reduced supply is more likely to create draft and draw in more outside air than any effect on humidity, I'd think. Have you tried keeping the door to the bathroom closed to reduce the return from the space? That might give the room positive pressure and keep outside air from coming in.