Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

I wish I could find it again, but someone made a real neat flash based game of Inventory Tetris. You played as a grunt trailing behind a brave knight. He'd advance forward, defeating enemies and you had to heal him up and arrange his backpack in order to keep all the loot, healing items and power ups, weapons etc.

I remember it being really good and in-depth. Might have been rose tinted glasses though.

Help The Hero. I was thinking of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RedMagus posted:

I've gotten addicted to watching both the speedruns, and the LttP randomizer races. Watching all the weird tricks and glitches you can do is kind of amazing to see in action, i just wish they were present in the updated versions of the game.

The LttP Randomizer races are super cool to watch. There was a huge tournament that you don't need to watch all of but the best-of-5 finals are pretty goddamn insane.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love all of the voices in Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War the first one is just hammy acting on top of hammy acting and it just makes everything so much fun to listen to and play as.

I think my personal favourite is the particularly whiny cultists for Chaos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrtFazaS7g&t=28s

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inferior posted:

There's a cave near the beginning of Dear Esther that scared the crap out of me. All that's in there is some weird graffiti but the sound design is real effective at tripping my GET OUT GET OUT switch.

The silent watchers are also eerie as hell.

Silent watchers?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Silent watchers?

There's these shadowy dudes watching you. You have to catch them pretty quickly just to vaguely see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhD9OBfcSuQ

I remember the only one I caught was one in a cave across some cliffs and it freaked me out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Esther triggered motion sickness in me. I didn't even finish my first playthrough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I love all of the voices in Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War the first one is just hammy acting on top of hammy acting and it just makes everything so much fun to listen to and play as.

I think my personal favourite is the particularly whiny cultists for Chaos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrtFazaS7g&t=28s

Dawn of War always stands out in my mind as the one RTS with the most attention to detail put into the presentation and atmosphere. It wasn't just really fun mechanically, it actually really drew me in and made me want to charge in there to slice up some space marines just for the visceral payoff. Also, it still has one of the best videogame intros ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAH7kGEqic

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Heavensward quest line for the Goldsmith class in FF14. It ends with the most :3: thing. A couple each commissions a music box for the other playing the song they heard when they first met. So what do you do? Find the bard who made it, have him make 2 arrangements for the boxes that plays a third arrangement when they are both played together. The couple loves the gift, and hold each other as they listen to the tune as you walk away

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fire Pro Wrestling World has an extremely detailed edit and AI system which lets you make just about any wrestler you've ever heard of and emulate their moves and style perfectly...

Or you could just make a bunch of bears.

See, for the basic body parts (arms, legs, head, torso, etc.), you get some options sorted by size and skin color, and in each category there's also an option specifically for bears. Bear heads, fuzzy bodies and limbs, paws, etc. I am not sure how this started, but the Steam Workshop has already gone a little crazy..

The bear parts are also very useful if you want someone wearing "fuzzy" gear of any kind.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The company that makes that game kind of has a history with murderous bears.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is basically a scaled down GBA retread of Symphony of the Night. It has almost none of the cool details and oddities that SotN has, but it does have an interesting gimmick. Every enemy in the game, except three bosses, drops a soul unique to that enemy. A lot of them are kind of generic "stat goes up" or "status resist" garbage but a lot of them are also unique and interesting such as firing laserbeams, summoning Stands or letting you eat rotten meat. Like Symphony there are often enemies that only show up in one specific room and don't really serve any purpose other than to maybe drop a cool item if you ever notice it's there and I just love that about the game, and Symphony really. There's just so much variety in enemies and items. A lot of it is pointless, but the simple fact that it's there and most of it at least does something is satisfying.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

So Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is basically a scaled down GBA retread of Symphony of the Night. It has almost none of the cool details and oddities that SotN has, but it does have an interesting gimmick. Every enemy in the game, except three bosses, drops a soul unique to that enemy. A lot of them are kind of generic "stat goes up" or "status resist" garbage but a lot of them are also unique and interesting such as firing laserbeams, summoning Stands or letting you eat rotten meat. Like Symphony there are often enemies that only show up in one specific room and don't really serve any purpose other than to maybe drop a cool item if you ever notice it's there and I just love that about the game, and Symphony really. There's just so much variety in enemies and items. A lot of it is pointless, but the simple fact that it's there and most of it at least does something is satisfying.

In the sequel, there's a boss that can use souls too and will spam whatever soul attack you hit him with last. One of the souls you can get at this point is a cat throwing ability. You can have two grown men flinging cats at each other - to the death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

scarycave posted:

In the sequel, there's a boss that can use souls too and will spam whatever soul attack you hit him with last. One of the souls you can get at this point is a cat throwing ability. You can have two grown men flinging cats at each other - to the death.

Which reminds me of that one singular item in Symphony that reduces cat damage. There is exactly one enemy that does cat damage. The witch that throws cats at you :shepface: that one's right up there with the secret boots. They make you taller by one pixel.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There's also a soul in Aria that's a straight up Jojo Stand that yells ora.

And Dawn of Sorrow has this guy.

http://i.imgur.com/TsNLhgD.mp4

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Well, poo poo, that's pretty much Red Garland in 7th Stand User.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pokemon Sun and Moon made 'Tourist' a trainer class. I just beat one and she made a comment about taking a picture afterwards because she just got beaten by someone doing an island challenge.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RareAcumen posted:

Pokemon Sun and Moon made 'Tourist' a trainer class. I just beat one and she made a comment about taking a picture afterwards because she just got beaten by someone doing an island challenge.

Pokemon S/M also introduces Alolan forms, regional variations on first generation Pokemon that have a different typing and appearance. These sightseeing trainers always use the 1st gen version. So you've got Alolan Ninetales, an Ice+Fairy type fox. The tourist will have (plain) Ninetales, a Fire fox.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
In Sun and Moon, trainers will have an alert sound when they spot you. Female trainers have a higher pitched sound while male trainers have a lower pitched one. Skull grunts have a small voice clip, which sounds like they're saying "kore wa?" or "what's this?". It's a cute way of differentiating between trainers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how sometimes you've got trainers spinning, looking around, stretching or just doing something instead of standing stock still waiting for someone to walk into their field of view. Hopefully, once they make a Pokemon game for the Switch, they'll be able to move past Yakuza 1 level of animations for most people.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I like how sometimes you've got trainers spinning, looking around, stretching or just doing something instead of standing stock still waiting for someone to walk into their field of view. Hopefully, once they make a Pokemon game for the Switch, they'll be able to move past Yakuza 1 level of animations for most people.

The random NPCs who existed only to walk around and with no dialogue beside a hello gave a bit of life to the world, but really there just needs to be more of it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To balance my posts on Witcher 3 in the 'thing dragging this game down thread,' here is a thing that I like: the masquerade masks you buy for one quest remain in your inventory, allowing you to wear them for the rest of the game. Clash with the Wild Hunt? Bird mask. Intervening in critical affairs of state? Wolf mask. Making love to a witch? Clown mask.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

To balance my posts on Witcher 3 in the 'thing dragging this game down thread,' here is a thing that I like: the masquerade masks you buy for one quest remain in your inventory, allowing you to wear them for the rest of the game. Clash with the Wild Hunt? Bird mask. Intervening in critical affairs of state? Wolf mask. Making love to a witch? Clown mask.

Wait 'till you find the rear end ears

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Spoil me on which quest you find them? Got too many of the bloody things to count.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Replaying mass effect 2 and I appreciate the way the developers made sure to put mirandas rear end front and center in some scenes

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

Spoil me on which quest you find them? Got too many of the bloody things to count.

It's in the Hearts of Stone DLC. You'll come upon some halflings playing Gwent at the wedding. Let them win.

As the old name of the Witcher thread was called; don't push Djikstra, let the halflings win, give wine to Shani

Also go whole hog at Kaer Mohren when you're drinking with your buddies. It's a hilarious scene.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jul 23, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

Replaying mass effect 2 and I appreciate the way the developers made sure to put mirandas rear end front and center in some scenes

Same, but because thanks to the texture of her outfit it makes her butt look like a soccer ball.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jul 23, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Same, but because thanks to the texture of her outfit it makes her butt look like a soccer ball.

Putting the "rear end" in Association Football.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I picked Pokemon S/M back up recently and it's just stuffed full of little details and character. My favorite little bit is when you're near patches of tall grass you'll hear faint vocalizations from the Pokemon that are found in that area. Also, when you pet your grimer or muk in Refresh the little hand icon gets sorta stuck in the goop and it's really cute

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've never minded easy final bosses in games as much as some people tend to, because for me hard ones tend to just be frustrating. No matter how good a game is, by the final boss I'm in the mindset "Let's just let me finish this now. I've been playing this game for hours and I am finishing it because I'm ready to move on and play something else. Maybe I'll do the sidestuff, maybe not." so bashing my head against a million forms or a really hard twitch-based fight just annoys me.

I think it's because while in most stories the final battle makes for the climax, games tend to have bigger emotional moments earlier, like in Kingdom Hearts, the fight with Riku is really the climax, two rivals going head to head in a brutal difficult grudgematch, which tend to be the most satisfying fights. Killing Ansem is more the player winding down to the leisurely chill out session that makes the ending and credits.

Also those fights tend to be the most satisfying when it's two evenly matched opponents who have a lot of baggage with each other. The greater evil outside of them is otherwise someone they often only just met and just need to go kill as he's on their list - they don't care about him, they only care about the damage he'll do. All killing him is is a job, and the giant monster fights they inevitably become is never much fun if made too hard.

In Horizon as well, the "real" climax for the player is fighting (major spoilers)Helis, while the gauntlet that ends with Hade's corrupted Deathbringer is just something that wraps up the plot.

Hell, even in the fairly dumb game Pitfall: The Lost Expedition, the final boss isn't what you've been waiting to fight for the entire game - the evil jaguar is, that you saw fighting the main character in the intro and that you have been waiting the entire game to fight, and fittingly he is balls-hard pretty much requiring almost all the health upgrades just to keep up. Also the evil explorer character who bugs you throughout the game in the second hardest fight in the game.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jul 23, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

And Dawn of Sorrow has this guy.

http://i.imgur.com/TsNLhgD.mp4

In Symphony of the Night there's a library with a secret room containing a "Stone Mask" that makes you smarter. Multiple fist weapons have a punch-flurry combo weapon skill and in some of the later games, I think one of the GBA games, the character specifically has a little ORA voice clip to go with it as well.

In Aria of Sorrow there's a time wizard enemy that shows up in one screen that resets time, and the time stop soul you get from it has a similar visual effect to Dio's time stop.

Oh and that Dawn of Sorrow boss even says the exact same thing Dio says when he stops time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Roro posted:

The random NPCs who existed only to walk around and with no dialogue beside a hello gave a bit of life to the world, but really there just needs to be more of it.

I think the problem with Sun/Moon is that they tried to make everything more "realistic" and they ended up having to cut down on other stuff.
On one hand, walking into a house is usually nice - and its always cute to find the little area they always have set aside for their pokemon, you can find a dribloon in the normal trial masters house who has a little doggy bed and dog toy. :3:
Also, I don't know why, but I really liked the Trial Captains a lot - they felt a lot more, "there" than the gym leaders. Just wish their was a heads up that you could fight some so you don't come back when your 60 levels higher than them.

Also, I love how over the top Z-Moves are. I think Primarina's spirit bomb is my personal favorite - because he does a little bow at the end.
Also its pretty funny to teach somebody like Popplio acrobatics, give him the flying Z-Crystal and watch him rocket into the heavens, and then swoop down on some poor fool like a bird of prey.
Heck, its just funny in general to see whatever cute thing you have in your team trigger some kind of apocalypse.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

More S/M stuff; I love the little interactions between Lillie and the MC. It's such cliched romance at times and it warms my black little gay heart that they didn't cut it when you play as a female MC. Granted, they'd never actually stick romance in the game so it's more a personal interpretation but it's the closest I'll get to wholesome gay love in a children's video game.

Also being able to sleep or inspect drat near every bed you find. Especially the beds in your house and Hapu's house. :kimchi:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Another thing about sleeping in beds. Sometimes you'll wake up to the house's Meowth smacking your face like an rear end in a top hat cat would.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Every NPC that has a name over their head (even a generic one like "Pushy Pirate") even Final Fantasy XIV has unique dialogue, and after completing bits of the story or in the middle of a quest or when you're in an instanced quest NPCs will have dialogue even though you never need to talk to them.

There's a super-annoying main questline to do with beating Titan and part of it takes place in one area, and if you go back after killing Titan hours later and talk to that guy, who you have no reason to even if you're levelling up another class because he doesn't give any other quests, he'll congratulate you and call you Titan's Bane.

There's little stuff like that all over.

On the flipside something that may either be a positive or a negative is that every side quest or Fate (world quests) have a name that's a pun or reference. The one currently most memorable to me is one that spawns a legendary giant crab for you to fight, and it's named Cancer, and the name of the Fate is... "It's Not Lupus."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RareAcumen posted:

And they now even have actual fields of view based on where they're looking instead of 'straight ahead'. Like there's a swimmer doing toe touches- while she's standing up she'll see you if you're in front of her, but while she's bending down she's looking backwards through her legs so she'll see if you're behind her and won't if you're in front.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pulp rag posted:

Another thing about sleeping in beds. Sometimes you'll wake up to the house's Meowth smacking your face like an rear end in a top hat cat would.

You mean like a cat.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bewilderment posted:

On the flipside something that may either be a positive or a negative is that every side quest or Fate (world quests) have a name that's a pun or reference. The one currently most memorable to me is one that spawns a legendary giant crab for you to fight, and it's named Cancer, and the name of the Fate is... "It's Not Lupus."

I love every single FATE name and reference. There's so many

One that made me the happiest was seeing one called What's On Your Mind, where the enemy you have to kill is called Pure Energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPuXvpkOLmM

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Stormblood has a fate called M Bop

Mmmm bop ba du bop ba duba dop

And there is 12 ilms (the FF14 inches) of Snow

I'm glad there is someone besides me who is stuck in the 90s on the FF14 translation team.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Leal posted:

I'm glad there is someone besides me who is stuck in the 90s on the FF14 translation team.

As far as I've been able to find, that person is English translation director Michael-Christopher Koji Fox, who looks exactly as goony as you expect him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Leal posted:

Stormblood has a fate called M Bop

Mmmm bop ba du bop ba duba dop

And there is 12 ilms (the FF14 inches) of Snow

Almost every FATE is a pun or reference. My favorite is "(I Just) Died In Six Arms Tonight"