Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We won't because there is no Elite Four.

As for what there is? You'll see...

Oh boy.

Uranium's been at it's best (read: mediocre) when it was just blindly following the Pokemon formula.

I await seeing how they gently caress up something that is basically impossible to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shrewdriver, Hammerster

Xelkelvos posted:

Gerbolt -> Hamstorm
God dammit, stop giving me Fakemon ideas. I have like 60 of them by now and it's starting to look concerningly like a dex.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

the Orb of Zot posted:

I await seeing how they gently caress up something that is basically impossible to gently caress up.

Since there's nowhere else for it, this has to be where we're going to get the Villain Who Speaks In Oppenheimer Quotes promised in the OP. So there's that to look forward to! :v:

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Gerbolt -> Hamstorm

If there's ever a Germany based Pokemon game I would love to see a Hamsturm

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

EclecticTastes posted:

Because there are two nearly identical Daft Punk people? Seems kind of obvious. I think the more pressing question is why did they feel that Daft Punk needed to be Pokemon? This isn't Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

cause Daft Punk rule, that's why :colbert:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

cause Daft Punk rule, that's why :colbert:

Well, obviously, but why Pokemon? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have them as a recurring double battle a la the reporters from Gen III? Couldn't be any dumber than the rest of this trainwreck, and at least then it'd be kind of amusing in how goofy it is.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe they'll patch it again, making them into a double battle trainer pair, but without trainers, a neat idea that Reborn used once or twice. They should be human after all :v:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maybe they could be reporters. After all, television rules the nation.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Vinylshadow posted:

Why am I picturing someone using it as a weapon and hitting trainers with it to get money from them?

Because this:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Stroth posted:

Because this:

That Bug Catcher is a lot older than I would expect (and using the wrong type, but whatever).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Stroth posted:

Because this:

Never underestimate the stupid fish

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Because there are two nearly identical Daft Punk people? Seems kind of obvious. I think the more pressing question is why did they feel that Daft Punk needed to be Pokemon? This isn't Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Pokemon fangames always seem to insist on having some pokemon that are just references. Heck, according to the wiki that Antarki is a reference to Hatoful Boyfriend, along with Dramsama (that OP rainbow birbd)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

McDragon posted:

Pokemon fangames always seem to insist on having some pokemon that are just references. Heck, according to the wiki that Antarki is a reference to Hatoful Boyfriend, along with Dramsama (that OP rainbow birbd)

This is, once again, a common thread in fan works in general, is just going "here's this reference to popular media, apropos of nothing and with no accompanying commentary". I don't recall the context of where or, more importantly, why, but I remember back in, like, ninth grade, I read someone's "fan fiction" that was, I poo poo you not, just Monty Python and the Holy Grail with all the characters replaced with the cast of Super Smash Bros. Melee, with absolutely no change to any of the actual scenes outside of the names. It was exactly as pointless and banal as it sounds.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I assume it comes from the same trend where people will just drop a nerdy reference and act like that's a joke in itself.

"Winter is coming! :roflolmao:"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w700Q_5-y0

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Stroth posted:

Because this:

counterpoint

still makes more sense than thunder armor

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I would, too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

azren posted:

I'm afraid I don't get the joke/reference, and will have to ask someone to ruin it by explaining it.

pokemon_uranium.txt

I'll ruin the joke further. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is another Daft Punk song, hence Harden, Focus Energy, Agility, and Sharpen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EclecticTastes posted:

This is, once again, a common thread in fan works in general, is just going "here's this reference to popular media, apropos of nothing and with no accompanying commentary". I don't recall the context of where or, more importantly, why, but I remember back in, like, ninth grade, I read someone's "fan fiction" that was, I poo poo you not, just Monty Python and the Holy Grail with all the characters replaced with the cast of Super Smash Bros. Melee, with absolutely no change to any of the actual scenes outside of the names. It was exactly as pointless and banal as it sounds.

I'm guilty of this myself. A character in my fangame is similar enough to Elzam von Branstein that I made his battle theme Trombe basically as a joke that I (And only I) find funny. Of course, that's in a separate version of the patch as adding music is the last thing I intend to do anyway. I think everyone is like that really. You gotta have one pet joke.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll ruin the joke further. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is another Daft Punk song, hence Harden, Focus Energy, Agility, and Sharpen.

They should have had an ability that shares buffs between the two pokemon so that if one uses a buff, they both get the benefit. Then give each one of them two of those abilities.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That's different, the joke is your character is similar to Elzam, who is famous for his theme music, so you gave your character a similar theme. There's a punchline to it. You're acknowledging the similarities with a tongue-in-cheek music reference.

That's different than Neopunk and Praseopunk, which are Daft Punk pokemon encountered independently of each other in different trainers' rosters before appearing together in that double battle (I forgot to mention that part) and exist pretty much entirely to be Daft Punk Pokemon (and check off another type combination not officially used by the time of Uranium's release, natch).

Like, Golurk.

There are jokes about Magrinzer and Gigantor aplenty but the punchline is that Golurk's appearance and abilities resembles those. It's a humanoid giant robot that flies and punches, you know. With the Daft Punk 'mons it's just... they are!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There are jokes about Magrinzer and Gigantor aplenty but the punchline is that Golurk's appearance and abilities resembles those. It's a humanoid giant robot that flies and punches, you know. With the Daft Punk 'mons it's just... they are!

The key word here is, once again, subtlety. It's similar to the Bugs beat Dark Types thing, that's a blatant Kamen Rider reference but it's not aggressively promenaded. Uranium has the subtlety of a Tauros in a china shop.

Also because I'm a hopeless goony pedant it's spelled "Mazinger".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

All this talk about Golurk and Mazinger makes me wish they'd given it a Rocket Punch attack, like, a Steel-type punch move that doesn't make contact.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

All this talk about Golurk and Mazinger makes me wish they'd given it a Rocket Punch attack, like, a Steel-type punch move that doesn't make contact.
It does get the Iron Fist ability, at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

It also has shadow punch, which is pretty rocket punchy, in a ghost way.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

PMush Perfect posted:

I never got a Golurk with Iron Fist, I always ended up getting one with Klutz.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So Boss Borot?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kurui Reiten posted:

So Boss Borot?

That or GutsMan.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I know it won't mark the end of the LP (since apparently there was a bit of postgame finished in the current version), but how many updates are left until the end credits roll?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

the Orb of Zot posted:

I know it won't mark the end of the LP (since apparently there was a bit of postgame finished in the current version), but how many updates are left until the end credits roll?

Spoilers for anyone who wants to stay in suspense: Like three, with the third being mostly the epilogue. Maybe less depending on how much OFS wants to elaborate on how terrible the next part is.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Last Celebration posted:

Spoilers for anyone who wants to stay in suspense: Like three, with the third being mostly the epilogue. Maybe less depending on how much OFS wants to elaborate on how terrible the next part is.

I say go whole hog on how any part of Uranium is garbage.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Testekill posted:

I say go whole hog on how any part of Uranium is garbage.

Maybe wait until OFS posts a thing to comment on that thing though

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I just finished catching up on this LP. Holy moly, Uranium is... Not great.

It's stunning how little they use the idea of nuclear pokemon/radiation gimmick that the entire game is based on. It's like their design doc (okay they probably didn't have a design doc) started with NUCLEAR POKEMON: THEY'RE BLACK AND GREEN. THEY'RE SUPER EFFECTIVE VS EVERYTHING AND WEAK TO EVERYTHING.

And that's IT. For a game that's so jealous of Sun and Moon, they really dropped the ball on doing their own version of Alola mons. It's just so low effort and poorly concieved, which is Uranium in a nutshell, I guess.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't think the dev was jealous of SuMo. I think some weird fans just defend Uranium to the death cause the Pokemon Company gave it a C&D.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean the devs did lie about SuMo's sales numbers. Maybe jealousy is the wrong word, though.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Is anyone else starting to think that the whole "9 years of development" spiel is bullshit and the team worked on it off and on for maybe two years in totality?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean the devs did lie about SuMo's sales numbers. Maybe jealousy is the wrong word, though.

If you're mentioning the video posted a while back I'm pretty sure that was just a weird fan making up those numbers.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

Nah that was just a guy making a 'review' video, or something, and just didn't bother to research/fact check before he said something on a video and stuck it on the internet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RyuHimora posted:

Is anyone else starting to think that the whole "9 years of development" spiel is bullshit and the team worked on it off and on for maybe two years in totality?

Like I said previously, just because something spent a long time in development doesn't mean it was being actively worked on for that entire period. There have been movies that have been "in development" for multiple decades because they keep having trouble finding writers, directors, actors, etc. interested in working on the project. I've had some woodworking projects "in development" for over a year because I put in a few days of work, put them in the corner, and am waiting until I feel like coming back to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Golden Goat posted:

If you're mentioning the video posted a while back I'm pretty sure that was just a weird fan making up those numbers.

Well, I'm just an idiot then. :doh:

• Locked thread